UT Health Science Center at San Antonio Employee Reviews

Horrible management within my division
Program Coordinator, SR (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 10, 2019
Unfortunately my division does not have a qualified manager. She possesses no leadership skills and makes decisions based on personal relationships rather than business acumen. HR is ineffectual and is not qualified to manage a large institution of higher education. They do what many HR depts. do - protect the company rather than seek to improve employee relationships and effectively train employees. There are little to no advancement opportunities for the staff and they are not shown any respect for their crucial support activities. Pay is low, but benefits are high. Budgeting and financial management is sorely lacking. Millions are wasted on ineffective processes, softwares that don't communicate, and lengthy meetings which should simply be memos or emails.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
too many to list.
Great entry level company
Scheduler Intermediate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 18, 2019
Scheduler Intermediate-
• Provides telephonic support to the clinic; schedules appointments, documents patient messages, maintains physician schedule/template, enters referrals, informs patients of financial obligations such as copay/balances, and coordinates interpreter services.
• Verifies and/or creates all elements of registration and insurance information for established or new patients at each point of patient contact, updating when necessary.
• Streamlines the message management process by documenting requests in the system; gathers all information appropriately and prioritizes messages based on urgency.
• Assists patients with any questions or concerns; attempts to resolve all patient issues or concerns prior to them becoming patient complaints; if unable to fully respond to patient, contacts someone to assist patients.
• Provides backup support/coverage to front desk; may be assigned to log into call center (ACD) when specific clinics are short staffed.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
Benefit Coordinator-
Demonstrates excellent patient relations skills on the phone and in-persons, engages all patients in a genuine, warm and caring manner. Ensure complete and accurate patient demographics and current insurance information.
• Processes patient referrals to specialty providers by preparing medical charts and records for referral patient visits and providing appropriate clinical information to specialist.
• Obtain authorizations for patient referrals to specialists, diagnostic testing and procedures. Advise physician if authorization request is denied.
  more...
• Reviews details and expectations about the referral with patients.
• Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation on referrals by recording all referrals into referral log book, transitioning to EHR documentation as available.
• Acts as a resource for patients or providers who have questions or problems relating to referrals.
• Ensure that referrals are addressed in a timely manner, prioritizing urgent items appropriately.
• Establish and maintain relationships with identified service providers. Maintains regular consistent attendance, personal appearance, punctuality, and adherence to applicable health and safety procedures and performs other work related duties as assigned. Contributes to the company by verifying benefits for scheduled patients. The Insurance Coordinator also determines the details of the patient's benefits to include, co-pays, deductibles, and prior authorizations needed.

Front Desk Clerk-
• Answer multi-line phone system and take appointments or direct calls to the appropriate party
• Greet patients when they arrive at the office and provide them with any necessary paperwork or other information
• Collect co-pays and other fees required prior to the office visit or treatment
• Verify insurance coverage and assist the billing department with processing claims
• Schedule appointments and confirm appointments two business days in advance
• Assist patients with re-scheduling appointments and other scheduling issues
• Communicate test results to patients when directed by providers
• Inform patients of credit card declines and other billing issues
• Gather and send medical records when requested
• File paperwork and charts at the end of each business day
• Submit and follow-up on prior authorizations in a timely fashion
• Any other office-related duties assigned by employer or office manager
Pros
Great place to gain knowledge
Cons
Lack of salary does not match work load
I really enjoyed working here
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78229December 26, 2018
fast paced

manager was the best in neurology department

awesome patients with kind hearts

awesome staff

cared by a good staff

always prepared and organized
Stressful and toxic
Student Administration Assistant - EMED (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 19, 2018
While I enjoyed working with the team in the emergency medicine department there was one major issue that did not get resolved. There is a very toxic person that works within the department. She is very malicious, demanding, aggressive, rude and disrespectful. She created a hostile work environment and made sure that I wouldn’t succeed in my job. She refused to be professional and continued to cause problems within the office. I wouldn’t recommend working with her or to be trained by her AT ALL. I had to share an office with her which was stressful and having to go into that office every single day caused me to hate going to work. She thinks she can do whatever she wants because she’s favorited by the chair of the department but that will only last so long hopefully that changes for the next person who is hired after me. Good luck and avoid being a student administration assistant or academic program coordinator try to apply for something higher so you don’t have to work under her. She will never change or see that SHE is the problem there. Because of her own insecurities she is a control freak.
Pros
Great medical benefits, time off.
Cons
Worse co worker I’ve ever had to deal with!
Very busy and fast paced
Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 6, 2018
Very rewarding but fast paced environment. Healthcare is an awesome and fulfilling job. The building and equipment are top notch. People are very friendly and always willing to help.
Hostile work environment
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 3, 2018
This institution has a ridiculous turnover rate. The management team is brand new and very insecure in their roles. The team asks for help but punishes those who do not agree with them. Favoritism is rampant. The few that have been there over a year will tell you the only way to stay is to stay quiet and keep your head down. HR will tell you that you have NO rights until you have been there 6 months. You can make no complaints regarding favoritism, hostile work environment, or ethical issues that relate to patient safety. Take my advice and stay away from this place.
Pros
Slow paced.
Cons
Catty, hostile work environment, favoritism, lazy, unethical
Loved my job
Pulmonary Hypertension Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 21, 2018
I loved working for UT. I learned so much and am appreciative for the opportunity. The Job I was offered was originally written for an RN, however, because of my skills and knowledge I was given a chance. Due to the fact that I was not an RN at the time, I knew that there would be no advancement and my time would be limited. I took the job and learned as much as I could and enjoyed every moment.
Not a bad place to work
Info. Systems Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2018
UT Health offers great benefits, although depending on the department you work in, the salary is not always fair. Some departments do not offer career advancement.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
competitive salary
Good for Recomendations
Intern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 29, 2018
They only offer intern opportunities every few summers but it is definitely an easy internship and is worth it from what you learn at coding the scientific articles.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
No pay
We did a variety of activities
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 17, 2018
The work area was tremendous and the co-workers were great people to have around in stressful situations and everybody pull together to help with load of work.
Pros
Good lunches
Cons
Not enough money
I would work for UTHSCA again
Clinical Nurse Transplant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 2, 2018
Great benefits....You earned personal time, sick leave, vacation days and had 10 paid holidays that did not come out of your vacation bank of days. Each director basically had their own set of rules for there department so I can not speak for any other department than the one I worked in. There are very few RN positions especially for a school with a RN program.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Salary employees work over time with compensation and by overtime I mean 15-20+ hours extra a week
Fast pace
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 25, 2018
It is a great place to work but there is a lot of gossip and favoritism in the work place. You do not have a lot of opportunity to grow or move up. The pay should be more since you only get paid once a month and especially if you're doing more than one role in the office.
not a bad place
DATA ENTRY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 21, 2018
the work load was steady and easy just happened to be a contracted job once the job was done we were done. An 8-5 job was perfect didn't have a uniform to wear either just had to look presentable
Pros
hour for lunch no weekends decent pay
Cons
temporary job
Very productive work environment
Accounting Clerk Specialist /Payment Posting (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Loved the company I worked for great atmosphere. Had a lot to offer as an employee. I learned a lot from the company and the company would always try to send you to school to learn something new.
Pros
Paid time off
Depends on the department
Assistant Professor of Pharmacology (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Not a bad place to work in the research field. There are good and bad scientists, but mostly a collaborative environment. A few administrators bring down the rating due to egos and shallowness.
Pros
State benefits
Cons
Mediocre academic environment
Very Force Driven Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2018
The benefits are great. You just have to be careful with which deoartment you end up working for. Not everyone is treated equally and some get reprimanded more than others.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Poor management
University of Texas Health Science Center of San Antonio
Director, Clinical Safety (Former Employee) –  San Antonio TexasAugust 28, 2018
UTHSCSA was the worst work experience in my 30+ years of working. Management is egotistical, there is no work life balance, benefits are marginal. System is run like a high school popularity contest with clicks and alliances. Financial decisions are not made logically but on a whim. If they want it the get it, then they do their due dillagance after committing the organization financially which causes them to pay penalties and fines to get out of a bd financial decision.
Pros
Leaving
Cons
Ego driven organization
Great first Job in research
Volunteer Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 21, 2018
Boss firmly believed that school teaches you how to learn. I was trusted to learn new things, even if it was outside my major. I obtained informed consent, helped run studies, and learned new things regularly.
Pros
Safe place to learn
Cons
Projects handed off to volunteers still in school
busy
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 18, 2018
need team work. total care on each shift, we worked hard and as a team, we had patients who needed total care so that made it very challenging, We needed stronger manager who can help and was not just there for the pay
Pros
good pay
Cons
total care
A great learning experience
Laboratory Technician Level II (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2018
Biomedical research at the UTHSC at San Antonio was great, and a thriving environment. The academic culture promoted learning even though many of us were involved in sponsored, or just pure research. The most difficult part of research is trouble shooting problems involving studies. This required using scientific knowledge and expertise, so many times.
Pros
A thriving academic culture.
Cons
Not recommended for anyone that's not science minded

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UT Health Science Center at San Antonio. Our community is ready to answer.

UT Health Science Center at San Antonio Reviews by Location