Utah State Hospital Employee Reviews

Life changing and productive environment
Certified Occupational Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 4, 2019
My experience was amazing and fun. I helped to create the evidence based groups and saw many changes come from the clients through extensive and efficient team collaboration.
Great Enviroment
PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 16, 2019
The communication skills I learned there will always benefit me through out my life. The knowledge of mental health and other mental disorders are invaluable.
I love working there
Psych Tech (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 27, 2018
The staff and supervisors are really easy to work with and they make your work experience great. The training is always ongoing so that you can keep refreshed.
Stressful hours, stressful atmosphere
Pysch Tech (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTDecember 2, 2018
I did enjoy working on a couple units within the hospital. Some units where very stressful and didn't have much structure. Most of the patients where great to work. The pay was not good. The turn over was so high. Why not pay the tech just a little more then maybe we would stay later. Poor higher management.
Pros
Some discounts, working with patients
Cons
Poor higher management
N/a
Utah (Former Employee) –  Utah County, UTNovember 8, 2018
Promotions only based on tenure not the most qualified. Too move up takes about 10-years unless you get lucky. Going from nights to days can take about 3-yrs.
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTNovember 7, 2018
I like to eat the food at the state hospital. We got our lunch paid for and it was good. It wasn't hard to take orders. I have a good time drinking caffeine also.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
I had to leave
Flexible
Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 31, 2018
Work alongside a treatment team helping others to become stable and productive. Challenging, quick paced, but very little support from management. Very little opportunities to advance.
I learned a lot about mental illness and enjoyed working there
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 25, 2018
I left because I move to California. It was an enjoyable place to work. I liked my co-workers. We did lots of fun activities with the patients. It was a long time ago so there are a lot of things i don't remember anymore. HA
It is a stressful job with no support from the management,
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTAugust 10, 2018
You are belittled for any action you have either with patients or staff. The management sets staff up to fail. When there is a dangerous situation there is little support.
Pros
Insurance and 401K
Cons
Every thing
Hard work
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 19, 2018
Truly loved working here, I left because it was time. I wanted to go back to school, my manager was very micro manager style. The clients were a wide range of difficulty.
Pros
Best benefits
Cons
Potentially dangerous job
Hunger Games Work Environment
Psychological Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 18, 2018
If you makes friends with the staff that has been there several years, and really get on their good side, you might survive. This also include the management and doctors. If they don't like you, they'll find a reason to fire you. I've seen dozens, literally dozens of people fired, and they were hard workers.
Pros
Good benefits from insurance
Cons
Stressful environment, change of being attacked by patients, lots of backbiting from management and staff
good job
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 30, 2018
good job with exciting opportunities. I enjoy the patient population so it was an interesting job that provided excitement and intrigue regularly. intense situations, but I never felt unsafe or scared.
I learned a lot and made great friends
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 19, 2018
I loved my time there, but it just got too dangerous. The patients are violent and we were constantly understaffed. The staff are wonderful and I really had a good time. Very easy to pick up overtime shifts too!
Pros
Fun group to work with
Cons
Dangerous
Complex work environment
LICENSED VOCATIONAL NURSE (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 28, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for Utah State Hospital. I had an opportunity to work with a great group of people that were very passionate about their job. While the work environment could be stressful, it was very rewarding to take part in helping those with mental illness
Pros
Work schedule
Cons
Pay
Horrible
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 7, 2018
i did not enjoy my time at the state hospital they had lack of training on things i would actually be doing and there was only a few people who were willing to help me unfriendly staff
Long hours low pay
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 14, 2018
Long hours low pay. Great co workers tho. Sometimes stressful. Techs there do alot but don't get paid nearly enough for what we went thru. Great co workers. Jist wished it paid more. 16 hour shifts available if need hours .
Great supervisors and work was fast paced
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMarch 8, 2018
you were given alot of unsupervised work\
the jobs were on a schedule to be followed so you never had to guess what needed to be done. they would come check on you to see if things were going well and to inspect what was done and would give good feedback to help meet your goals
Pros
good hours and the jobs were made to be accomplished
Cons
pay and benefits were good
Very good place to learn as new or older nurses
Pool RN (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTFebruary 14, 2018
Don’t use a lot of nursing skills in this job. Good leaders and staff, but it is very eye opening how hard of life and how difficult it is for patients
it's not what i expected
Psychiatric Technician (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 8, 2018
USH was a great place to work- no day was the same as the one before. There were a lot of really tough days, as to be expected when you're working with individuals who are struggling with mental illness, but there were also really great days. If you're a tough person, who doesn't get offended easily, I recommend working here.
A hard job that is very rewarding
Psychiatric Technician (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 4, 2018
Working with individuals who have mental illness is challenging, however very rewarding. There is never a dull moment and you will learn much while working at the state hospital. I highly recommend the job!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utah State Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Utah State Hospital Reviews by Location