Utah State University Employee Reviews

Depending on what department you work in, you'll either have a wonderful time or a terrible time. Choose wisely.
Guest Services Representative --> Archives Intern (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 12, 2018
I'll be honest, I chose a terrible department to start my work with the University: Event Services. I was a Guest Services Representative, and after the two month "trial period", they let me go with no explanation, even when I asked for one so I could improve myself. Management in that job was standoffish. I had the impression that everything was going well, and then I was let go.

However, now, working with both the Museum of Anthropology and the USU Special Collections and Archives, I can say with certainty that my experience has been completely different. Management is blunt, and they tell you when you need to improve. They don't micromanage, but they tell you how your work looks from their perspective, so you change it accordingly. You have free reign to do as you please as long as it meets the expectations of the museum and/or archives.
Pros
Great management, wonderful coworkers, engaging work, many opportunities for growth and research.
Cons
No pay, low job security
Relaxed student job with flexible scheduling but poor compensation
USU Surplus Sales PC Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTMay 3, 2018
I gained more hands on experience and knowledge about various computer systems while working here. The management in our department was some of the best I've ever worked for, however the assistant director refused to change our job titles or pay us a reasonable wage for the work being completed. No raises were given in the three years working here and other companies with identical positions pay double starting out. I initially got the job to work around my school schedule and I enjoyed how flexible it was. The hardest part was not having enough replacement parts or resources available to complete some of the repairs required of us. The most enjoyable part was having the freedom to work and make informed decisions with little to no supervision.
Pros
schedule flexibility, decision making freedom, relaxed work environment
Cons
extremely poor compensation, no raises, limited hours
Balanced and a good place to work
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTDecember 12, 2018
They gave me plenty of room to grow and develop over the years. I just reached a point where there were no more advancement opportunities and had to look externally for my next opportunity.
Flexible work for students
Greenhouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTAugust 23, 2018
I worked at the teaching greenhouse for the university. The management and supervisors are excellent and they work well with you to make sure you can still have time to work and keep up on your studies. Typical days included watering and care for plants, maintenance on greenhouses, fruit picking and cider pressing or sales. It was a fun and productive work environment.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Good entry level positions
TECHNICAL COORDINATOR II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 12, 2018
I feel like it is a good place to work right out of college. The job offers great benefits, but salary is low when compared to other private sector jobs with the same job responsibilities.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Mixed paced but low pay
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTNovember 18, 2018
Working at the boothes was both high Pace and low Pace, but your payment was not based on how long you worked, it was instead based of the overall money of the location, divided by the amount of people working, so on a average you would get around thirty dollars for a 5-7 hour shift. There were a few shirts were I made little to no money.
Pros
Discounted lunches, no interview as it was processed through Logan High
Cons
Low pay, short breaks
Great work place, great people, great school.
Staff Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 30, 2018
I have worked at Utah State University as a student and as a professional and it's interesting to see how the University works inside and out.

It's a typical office job. Monday, through Friday. 8 am to 5 pm. Paid holidays, and weekends off. It's wonderful.

There are a couple cons to working at the Registrar's office, the first one being monotony. There is a lot of the same old same old in this office. The other con is the management. I have felt belittled, and harassed on several occasions.
Pros
Pto, Sick leave, half tuition and fee waiver, great insurance plans, 401k
Cons
Management, monotony
Working Review at Utah State University
Full-Time IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Vernal, UTNovember 18, 2017
The environment was a good place to work. It provided flexible time off when needed, and management looked after their people under them. I worked at a Regional Campus, and the small city environment was a good place to blue, friendly small city life to raise a family in. This rural atmosphere provide the outdoor sportsmen a great opportunity to fish, hike, camping, boating, and hunting. Minutes away from three major lakes in the Northern-Eastern Utah area.
Pros
Great benefits, and 1/2 price tution
Cons
It's not stressful,I can balance life and work well.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 23, 2018
A typical day at work involves, auditing a class, learning about the assignments so I can grade them properly.

I've worked on multiple languages in Logical and Functional Programming Paradigms.

My supervisor is excellent.

Hardest part of the job is figuring out how to understand each students assignment and intent behind their code.

Most enjoyable part of the job is giving feedback to students on how to improve.
Worked as a custodian
CUSTODIAN (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTFebruary 25, 2018
Great job while i was attending college. Great benefits that can't be matched anywhere else. It made up for the average pay we received at the time. Management does a great job as well keeping you well trained while also providing an environment where you want to do well.
Pros
Great management and even better benefits
Cons
pay
Relaxed job with amazing management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTFebruary 19, 2018
I worked as a student operator for Utah State University. The management there is amazing, and they work well with students. There are no benefits since it was a part time job, but it was perfect as a student.
Pros
Relaxed environment, great management, perfect student job
Cons
Long days on campus, can be kind of boring.
Great job for students
Facilities Custodian (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTMarch 16, 2018
generally, as a part-time worker, it is easy work. But, the pay is low, usu has a horrible time paying its employees a living wage. full-time personnel included.
Pros
great hours for students
Cons
little to no chance for promotion or raises
Utah State Testing Center
Proctor (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJuly 6, 2018
While I was at Utah State I worked at their testing center. It was the perfect college job and the management was great. They were super flexible with my school schedule and it was a great environment to work in.
Worked at elementary schools, everyone was friendly
America Reads Tutor (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTNovember 27, 2018
As a tutor for America Reads we were required to tutor kids K-6 and then organize a daily activity. This job is very laid back and rewarding, especially for college students.
Pros
Played games with kids, got paid driving time
Cons
it wasn't very close to the university.
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Accounts Payable Student Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTNovember 18, 2018
The Controller's Office Accounts Payable team is a great team to work with and the different ways the team bonds and works with one another makes going to work something to look forward to every day.
Pros
Monthly birthday lunches, holiday lunch parties
Great Internship to learn what it takes to be a Registered Dietitian
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTSeptember 5, 2018
USU Dietetic Internship offers the opportunity for off campus learning in various parts of the state, while offering partial or full out of state opportunities. Allows the intern to gain valuable experience in many areas of Dietetics (clinical, community, food service).
Great job for a student
GRADUATE INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 15, 2019
To work as a graduate instructor for the language department at USU was a great experience. It provided the opportunity to practice the teaching techniques that I was learning and researching. This is a great job for a language student.
Abusive Company Values
Sr. Staff Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 31, 2018
I had abusive bosses here, and the main boss continued to enable the behavior until an entire department quit. As soon as this happen, then they were willing to look at the situation and make minor changes, but did not remove the problem.
good place for educational internships
Undergraduate research assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTJanuary 13, 2019
I went to school here and it was great, being a research assistant was a great time and experience. The school works well with your other scheduled conflicts.
Pros
good education
Cons
work well with schedule
Good Environment
Digital Initiatives Assistant (Former Employee) –  Logan, UTOctober 26, 2018
The environment in my department was excellent. It focused on collaboration, and was excellent at fostering those ideals in everyday actions.

I gained a lot of experience, which has helped me in subsequent roles.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utah State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight