Utah Transit Authority Employee Reviews

Most of UTA is good, a few departments are not
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 15, 2019
HR roles are very narrow and pigeon-holed, and there are no opportunities to cross train or do new things, especially in Talent Acquisition.

Employees primarily leave managers, not organizations. If you're wondering why the People/HR office has had such high turnover over the past 1-2 years, there's your answer. HR management, including -the executive level, excels at talking the talk, but they do not walk the walk. Arrogance and incompetence abound. They seemingly value one thing and one thing only: devotion to management. Do that, and you're golden. Don't, and you'll be under a microscope.

If you want to work long hours in an uncollaborative, tense, and leaderless environment, then UTA's HR/People office is for you.
Benefits
Cons
A fun place to work with great people
Paratransit Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 1, 2019
I loved this job! It was challenging and kept me hopping and always a variety of diverse experiences daily. The training and probation are intense and extremely strict. If you can make through each phoase of the trainings and probation, this is an amazing company to work for!
Pros
benefits, great people, wonderful customers
Cons
the training and probation is intense
UTA is an organization whose core value
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 29, 2019
UTA is an organization whose core values encompass showing respect for our employees, customers and community. We strive to perform our work in a way that is helpful. We expect all of our employees to have integrity and accountability to themselves and our customers/community. Teamwork is a value that is critical to our success. We can only be as successful as our ability to work well with one another through having a collaborative attitude and including the right people in the decision making process.
Fun driving not having a boss looking over your shoulder
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 8, 2019
It was rewarding working for Utah Transit Authority. Although, you are required to learn all 72 routes. You do have to deal with hundreds of riders a day and some of them have mental health issues. But overall it is great.
Pros
Freedom of driving.
Cons
Hours are not at all flexible.
Challenging and Productive Organization Objectives
MARKETING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTFebruary 20, 2019
The people at the Ogden Regional Office for UTA are really great to work with. Everyone loves to work together and are friendly and goal driven. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to get out of the office and meet with marketing staff of other organizations, coordinating events, and setting up promotions.
It used to be a great place to work
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 27, 2019
New management does not value dedicated and long-term employees and actively seeks to eliminate them. Atmosphere is toxic and negative. Chaos has been introduced into what was once the best place in Utah to work.
Benefits
Cons
Negative treatment of employees
Poor Human Resource Department
N/A (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 26, 2019
They state no C.D.L. required on their advertisements. Yet, I have a CDL. Class B, Airbrakes and passenger endorsements..very poor Human Resource Department...The Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing over there. No moving violations, no criminal history. With prior bus and para transit experience.
Pros
Can't see any
Cons
Human Resource Department
It's a job
Commuter Rail Manager/Operator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 25, 2019
Some of the daily tasks were fine but the union and senority based everything allows more senior employees to be lazy. The company needs to be more aware of employees that basically learn how to hide and not do what is required.
Great Place to work
FrontRunner Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 28, 2018
UTA is a great place to work, but they don't pay the FrontRunner Engineers anymore than a bus driver. Which is over $10 under the national average. if you love trains or the railroad, then this is a great job
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Breaks aren't always guaranteed
Bad culture, bad management, shady politics
Paratransit Scheduler (Former Employee) –  UtahDecember 22, 2018
UTA pays well and has really good benefits including pension. They have really bad management and really shady politics in the community and the company. Many times its a "who you know" atmosphere.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Culture, Management
Great Basketball at lunch time
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 17, 2018
Come in get your work create w.o. and get busy. I learned how to work on transit equipment. Most management was okay. Very diverse at the time. Working on stuff you wasn't trained on. The people I worked with I will never forget them.
Pros
Gift card every xmas
Cons
A couple of bosses had favorites
I could't ask for a better job... Frontrunner is awesome to work for!!
COMMUTER RAIL SYSTEM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Warm Springs / FrontrunnerDecember 13, 2018
I could not ask for a better place to work. Benefits are great, pay is good comparably, the management is awesome, and the General Manager is an awesome leader and listens to his employees. Of course, every company has cons, but it's nothing that can't be dealt with.
Pros
Benefits, pay, pension, 457, great management, tuition reimbursment
Cons
It can get to be cut-throat when a promotion is coming up..
otima empresa
COORDENADOR DE FATURAMENTO E PAGAMENTO (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake County, UTNovember 30, 2018
Pessoas comprometidas com o trabalho e progresso do proximo
Pros
otimo ambiente de trabalho
Great company to work for.
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 1, 2018
The benefits are excellent and the pay is pretty decent (could be higher to keep up with the rapidly rising cost of living). The first 6-12 months are overwhelming from the grueling 15 hour days to learning the extensive operating procedures and regulations. If you can survive beyond that, they offer many opportunities to lateral over into other departments and/or advance. If you are under-qualified, they offer tuition assistance and training opportunities for you to reach where you want to be.

Okay, so:
-Easy but crucial work, you are your own boss as long as you do your job right, (no micromanaging!!!!). Most people are nice, you get a jerk every now and then.
-Learned diffusing tense situations(there will be some), handle sensitive situations, and how to deliver exceptional service. Oh, and to drive a bus.
-Supervisors are awesome. Upper management can be overambitious and spread out resources too thin resulting in poorer performance in Operations. But overall I think they're doing a good job.
-Co workers, supervisors and the GM are all very helpful, approachable, and responsive to whatever issue you bring to them. Everyone looks out for one another.
-Passengers can be tough at times, and the scheduling can be hard.
-Best part is making a decent living while cruising around and learning how many awesome people reside in the city.
Pros
Benefits, opportunities, positive work environment
Cons
short breaks, rude passengers
I loved my co-workers, and enjoyed talking with them between shifts.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 3, 2018
I loved working for Utah Transit Authority, I got sick just before retiring in 2014 , have since been doing well, got divorced, and would like to earn some more income, and also get back into the swing of things. Become active again.
Pros
free bus pass
Cons
waiting for bus, when relieving another driver, but I'm usually early anyway
Generally good to great conditions.
Bus Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT and Orem UT.August 13, 2018
Fast past but enjoyable. Culture was easy to pick up on and live with. Learned an unbelievable amount about people and how to handle them. Learned bus systems that I had no idea existed. Lots and lots of opportunities to move up or into completely different fields.
Pros
Lots of dinners and celebrations.
Good Benefits, low pay
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2018
UTA offers good benefits, but has very strict rules, with random enforcement. The pay is a little low for the field. Sometimes feel like being used and discarded.
I just got hired on with UTA
Rail Car Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 7, 2018
I am a noobie. Low man on the totem pole in a company that strives on seniority. But that being said, there are alot of people being hired constantly,so you aren't low on the totem pole for very long. Excellent training.....great work, amazing company.
A place to make a career and life.
Pros
Relaxed work, nice people, supplied gear and clothing.
Cons
No cons to speak of yet
Split shifts
Bus Operator/Trax (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 27, 2018
Long shifts,15 hour windows - with split shifts, have policies but didn't follow them. Each department had different whys of running things even though it was the same company
Good team environment
Commuter Rail Tech (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 18, 2018
The employees are great to work with and the money is just about average for the industry unless you get into management then it seems to be higher than average.
The management is no where near where they need to be, the company is too top heavy with way to many supervisors then need be. Management also isn't very team oriented nor do they seem to know what's going on.
Pros
Comparable pay, free ride pass
Cons
Sub-par management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utah Transit Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight