Utah Valley University Employee Reviews

Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 12, 2018
I loved working here. It was busy but not stressful. Co-workers were great but there was not a lot of room for advancement. But overall a great place to work.
Students are great - management not so much
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 8, 2018
If you’re staff you are micromanaged and don’t get compensated properly. Favoritism runs rampant within the university. Seems rather difficult to advance. No training for new employees. Hopefully this new president will shake things up. They used to be flexible with hours but not anymore so you can might be the only person working in your area at certain times. Students are amazing to work with though.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Low pay, micromanaging, lack of safety, faculty treat you poorly
Decent place to work as a student or educator
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 29, 2018
Your mileage may vary as quality of positions greatly depend on what part of the university you work for, and whom you work under. I personally had a great experience working their as a temp, helping to maintain computer systems and projectors.
Helping customers and maintaining a clean environment.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Valley View CafeteriaAugust 28, 2018
In a typical work day I enjoyed helping and serving the customers. I like to interact with people, and this helped me to learn more skills. Sometimes there were stressful hours, but I had a good work supervisor.
Pros
Sometimes I had free lunches.
Cons
I little bit stressful
Excellent place to earn experience in lab work
CENTRAL STOCKROOM WORKER (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 23, 2018
My tasks usually consists of entering chemical compounds in the campus database. Occasionally, I would assist in keeping track of equipment being loaned to students for projects.

The management isn't too outrageous, and the supervisor is very helpful in training for the duties I was assigned.

The workplace is relaxing, and it can give me plenty of opportunities to catch up on schoolwork.

The hardest part of the job would be ordering equipment the faculty would need to use for their classes. The most enjoyable part would be to interact with the students and see their enthusiasm for learning.
Pros
Flexible schedule and relaxing work environment
Cons
Only allowed part-time hours and not full-time.
A love and hate relationship
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 21, 2018
I loved working at UVU. It was very convenient being able to work there as well as go to school there. The job I did allowed me to be able to drive a truck which made it really nice and fun. And I was able to pick my own hours which helped a lot with my school scheduled. The only thing that was bad was basically the management I guess. I did recycling and while there it felt like UVU does not really care about recycling. It also didn't help that it felt like I was doing more then what I was getting payed. There are a lot of things that need to change about the recycling "department". This job can be somewhat frustrating but overall it was one of the best jobs I had and the most fun.
Great job for the school year
Test Proctor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UT 84058August 6, 2018
I liked working for the testing center the only problem is that I didn't make enough money and I don't think I was paid enough for the stuff that I had to do and deal with but if you're living at home and you're looking for extra money during the school year I would highly reccomend it. It's easy to make friends with your coworkers and the job itself isn't difficult once you're trained.
Best job I've had (so far)
Technician III (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 2, 2018
UVU isn't the highest rung on the career ladder, but it's a rock solid place to work. I've seen some not succeed here and they had their own issues to sort out that they brought to work. If you're a good worker, with a good attitude, a good ethic, generally competent, and hate the mistreatment of corporate jobs, you'll like UVU's culture.
Pros
Good opportunities, good culture, good pace, good benefits.
Cons
Pay is always an issue. I don't know how students even get by.
Was a fine work environment, trouble with middle management.
Interim Secondary Education Field Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 23, 2018
I enjoyed a majority of my time there- it's an excellent university and a great atmosphere for students. I just couldn't feel myself growing there as a professional individual. There were some issues with management and accountability that created a more uncomfortable environment by my last year there.
A toxic workplace for adjunct faculty.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Orem CampusJuly 20, 2018
Many adjunct faculty are fired as punishment for cavalier things or to hire friends in their place. I know four in four departments in the last two years.. Excellent teachers with good track records. Too much power is given untrained people to manager adjuncts, their schedules and livelihoods, and they truthfully do not care a bit!
Pros
The students are amazing, generally diligent and hardworking.
Cons
Damaging, sometimes cruel, mismanagement of adjunct faculty by untrained full-time faculty.. Personal political agenda.

Want to know more about Utah Valley University?

Ask a question
Excellent
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  McKay School of EducationJuly 5, 2018
Focus on teaching, nice colleagues, excellent environment, students are wonderful
I'd like to earn more because I work hard. My students love and appreciate all I do and all I teach them. I learn from them.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 28, 2018
UVU is a great place to work in many ways. There is innovation and advancement.
One draw back is I feel that faculty feel above those who do not have the piece of paper they do and treat those employees as such.
Pros
Secure
Cons
Superiority problems
Great
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 27, 2018
great experience working here at utah valley university. I was only a teacher's assistant so my experience was not totally representative of uvu since i was still a student.
Great people make a great environment
Web Programmer (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 24, 2018
Everyone here is really focused on the success of the students, and that's easy to see with the passion they throw into their work. It's such a wholesome place to work because of that.
Great while in school
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 21, 2018
Working as a work study student was great. After that obtaining a job at UVU was not hard at all. Is the lack of hours and lower paid that is difficult.
Pros
Great jobs
Cons
Lock of hours
Great Company to work for
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 18, 2018
Worked with Faculty and Staff in the University’s Computer Science Department. Promptly responded to inquiries from students, staff, and professors via phone, mail, e-mail and fax. Organized weekly reports for the department chair, helped maintain semester budget reports. Worked under strict deadlines and responded to department staff needs. Maintained the department webpage, tutorial videos, and online documents
productive
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 11, 2018
It is a part-time job with a good work culture. also, it is an easy job that can be hard especially when it comes to vacuuming. finally, the most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Pros
not far from home
Cons
short breaks
Good place to work.
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 6, 2018
Love to work there, but there is no chance to progress in the academia.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
If you change your schedule chances are that won't be any other opportunity available.
Culture is horrible
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJune 1, 2018
If you are not a part of the church they do not really care about you.There is no organization nor does anybody who works there want to strive for something better. They are all just settling.
The University offers work and educational opportunities.
Academic Science Tutor and Private Tutor: (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTMay 26, 2018
The tutoring lab was professional, peaceful, and fun. SCUP and the Stem summer program were exceptional outreach programs.
My Supervisor was professional. The University goal is to have a positive workplace and educate employment.