Utah Valley University Employee Reviews

Testing Center position
Student Proctor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTFebruary 7, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed working here; this job was a great resume builder. I was able to further develop my interpersonal skills, problem-solving skills, and conflict resolution skills. I had a lot of customer service experience opportunity, too.
Pros
on-campus job
Convenient
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTFebruary 6, 2019
Working at Utah Valley University was a very convenient place to work at especially if you lived close by the school. It is very flexible with your class schedule.
Cons
Human Resources are a pain when it comes to getting paid
Slow paced job for college kids
Janitor Night Shift (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 14, 2019
I was in school taking 13 credits while working here, and night shift was very tough for me personally. Often worked by myself covering a large area of the building either vacuuming or cleaning in some other capacity.
Pros
understanding management
Cons
working night shift sucks
Production Tech
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTJanuary 6, 2019
I worked at UVU as a Production Technician for the UCCU Center. It was a great job for a student, but due to the sporadic nature of the event center, it was never clear how much work I would get.
Fun
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 27, 2018
Teaching Spanish for Continued Education Department was a great experience for me. I was able to create my own program, getting a lot of support from the manager, happy with the courses, each course had about 8 weeks, I used to divide into chapters. I was in charge of the beginning and advanced courses.
Pros
fun
Cons
few hours
Learning and working at UVU
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 12, 2018
Being a student and having the opportunity to work for the Marketing and Communications department and also for the Athletics Department, helped me to gain experience and confidence. The jobs were paid through Scholarships and they were very satisfying.
After that, I was called to do Freelance work for the Marketing and Communications Department and also offered the opportunity to apply for a part-time position, which I had to decline due to conflict with the schedule.
Pros
Mentorship, Autonomy, Experience
Great learning environment
Volunteer in Athletic Training Room (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 28, 2018
This was a volunteer position. We worked with many student athletes and I loved being able to learn how to help others overcome their injuries and better themselves. The atmosphere was very positive and upbeat.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
unpaid
Utah Valley University is great! Students are prepared well for life!
Head Women's Golf Coach (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 26, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with student athletes. I love sharing life lessons though competitive golf.

There are normal office hours, plus there are times when I must work from home. Recruiting season is almost always after working hours and on weekends. If a student athlete has a problem I am available to them 24/7.

Travel is generally a 4 or 5 day trip. It is a time we compete often 14 hours in a day followed up by a 5 hour round and a flight home. We travel 9 to 11 times during a school year. It is physically grueling for both the student athletes and the coaches. Often the weather is poor since we play throughout the winter months.

I have learned that during the end of the season (fall and spring) I become tired and maybe not as patient as in the beginning of the season.
Pros
Travel
Cons
on call 24/7 365
I loved working at UVU
Academic Advisor, Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 14, 2018
Great department to work for
Awesome work culture (professional and friendly)
I was able to work in several areas in the Behavioral Science department with growth
its a collage
Set Contractor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 8, 2018
It's a college to take it as it is, even in the jobs they are trying to teach you how to do things you should know how to do. That being said, you will also find out how stupid the students around you are at the same time. If you know enough to get a better paying job, get a Job somewhere that pays better. If you think you still need an education in one of the jobs they provide, get the job because you will get another education working for UVU.
Student Job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 1, 2018
nice leaders, no job security or chance of advancement because this was a student position. I worked in a nice out of the way financial aid call center, I was able to receive regular training and leadership support. the work environment was relaxed and positive. There was a strong team spirit, the work room was low stress.
Inexperienced management that purposefully hold people back.
Facilities - MAINTENANCE ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 31, 2018
Enjoyable job but difficult to move up and progress. Unfortunately this is not the case everywhere on campus just with my immediate position and and department.
Pros
great benefits, relaxed work environment
Cons
lots of red tape
Can be a great place to work depending on those you work with.
Admin III (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 17, 2018
I have loved working at my job for years until my supervisor changed and I chose not to agree to her suggestion of committing a Federal crime by lying about the department budget and how money was not spent illegally by me in order to get more funding. For the past year my work life has been plagued by harrassment and condescending language, poor assessment without given reason, and continued unfair treatment from this supervisor. I have reported the incident and person. Otherwise, I love the environment, the students, the faculty, the job itself. Unfortunately as a government sponsored school the pay is low for all the work we do.
Pros
Wonderful environment, people to work with, community
Cons
low end of pay scale, not responsive to tenured faculty who behave poorly towards others
Relaxed Workplace
STUDENT RESEARCH CALLER (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 13, 2018
It was all very relaxed and slow paced. The dress code was casual, which was nice. The hardest part was when it would be a slow day, making a 3 hour shift feel like 6.
Pros
Very flexible hours and days off.
Cons
No morning shifts.
Alright
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 12, 2018
I didn't hate working here, but I also didn't love it. The environment was pretty laid back and relaxed, but they wouldn't allow homework, even if it was dead.
Grader
Grader (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 10, 2018
Worked as a grader for 2 classes being taught by the same professor. Work what hours I wanted to. Had to communicate with students on why their assignments got the grade I gave them.
Pros
Your own hours
Great job for students.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 23, 2018
Lots of autonomy in picking your schedule, great coworkers, opportunities to work on own homework during slow office hours. Great opportunity for prospective educators, management is understanding and friendly.
Campus Connection Review
Project Manager/Designer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 12, 2018
Working at Campus Connection at UVU was a great experience for me! It gave me so much opportunity to do academic activities, get experience in graphic design and to get to know my follow class members more. Even though there is so much to know at that job with low pay, it was great having a job on campus to save me time and money going to my classes. Unfortunately you can only work there if you're going to school there.
Pros
Work at School, Opportunity, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay, Just a College Job, Bad Parking
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 12, 2018
I loved working here. It was busy but not stressful. Co-workers were great but there was not a lot of room for advancement. But overall a great place to work.
Students are great - management not so much
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 8, 2018
If you’re staff you are micromanaged and don’t get compensated properly. Favoritism runs rampant within the university. Seems rather difficult to advance. No training for new employees. Hopefully this new president will shake things up. They used to be flexible with hours but not anymore so you can might be the only person working in your area at certain times. Students are amazing to work with though.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Low pay, micromanaging, lack of safety, faculty treat you poorly