Utah Valley University
75Above average

Utah Valley University Employee Reviews

United States336 reviews
My boss and coworkers are the best! We work hard, but have fun. They are a great group of people. I enjoy the job and the flexible hours. I literally make my schedule. Helping my fellow student succeed is also a fun part of the job! Sometimes getting enough hours or student interest is hard, but there are almost always ways to boost hours. Definitely recommend.
I have loved going to school and working on campus most every semester I just give my manager my class schedule and I work in between classes. Best of all if there is any down time I can work on school work and get paid!
Great staff to work with at Utah Valley University. I felt welcomed and had a great work experience. I never felt overwhelmed with work and overall it was a relaxing environment.
I was a student employee for Utah Valley University. I was a physics tutor as well as a research assistant. I enjoyed learning from my supervisors and co-workers.
Utah Valley University has great campus jobs for students. Most campus jobs are willing to work around class schedules and have a good work environment.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
They had a transition phase where they fired a number of higher ups and made the FOH manager in charge of all the catering. She had a big bark and no bite. Like she wanted people to fear her in order to do what she wanted, but she never enforced her rules. There were a number of Sous Chefs that didn’t do their jobs so we had to pick up their slack. And one never got in trouble for taking smoke breaks instead of doing his job.
Pros
Different menus daily
Cons
Iron out management
I love how UVU handled the coronavirus. We didn't have to cut down on hours and they really made sure we were taken care of. I always felt like the bosses wanted me to do well in school and were invested in my future.
UVU is a fantastic place to work. My team helps me to succeed in my current and they trust me to lead out in helping customers. I've learned so much about technology in since being at UVU.
I used to love working for this institution. Over the past 2 years or so administration has become more disconnected from employees. There is a serious lack of understanding and/or concern. Flexibility and genuine appreciation are in short supply. My supervisor is more like a warden than a leader. Nepotism is the normal and HR only serves to protect the institution. No one advocates for mid-low level employees. This institution is a corporate machine. The mission statement of UVU sounds nice but words are where it ends. Pay is not comparable to the amount of sacrifice you make just to be considered average. The performance evaluations were recently updated. Outstanding employees are given the rating of "met expectations" and "exceeded expectations" is only for people who do something publicly worthy of attention. I have never worked in a place where morale is so low. I would not recommend working here if you have other options.
Pros
Benefits and Retirement
Cons
Many people are unhappy at work. The majority I am aware of.
I feel that my work and my opinion are valued by the faculty and staff in my department. I love the inclusive and innovative vision that is common among those I work with.
UVU is a great university that is making a ton of progress. The administration does an excellent job and the salary and benefits are generous, especially the retirement. My department has very poor communication, and that is unfortunate.
The company isn't bad to work for and some positions can be really beneficial. But the pay is very low. HR can be difficult to work for and looks out for the company not the employee.
it feels good to help, sharing your knowledge with people that don't know. I learned how to communicate with my coworker, with my boss, I learned how to be patient.
Dreaded going to work every single day it was a relatively fun environment until one particular employee got hired and the whole atmosphere changed management didn’t know what to do, so she told us all to ignore her (eyes rolling) ...
First of all, some of the questions on the review form are not really relevant/applicable to a university. A university is not the same as a corporation and works differently if we consider knowledge dissemination and knowledge creation to be major goals. UVU is a fairly good teaching focused undergraduate university. If you want to be a good teacher- who is knowledgeable and sincere- it would be difficult to find time and other resources for research. Thus most people count guest lectures and presenting at UVU conferences as "research." This is obviously not the same as publishing in peer-reviewed academic venues, but UVU sort of encourages mediocrity and hyperbole, so it makes sense.
The university is incompetent at handling faculty and student complaints, especially related to discrimination and harassment. Competent and qualified people of color (do not let the fact that a woman of color is president fool you) are actively discouraged from taking on administrative or leadership positions, a fact they try to mask by putting together more and more pointless "leadership trainings" while ensuring that the dominant race and religious group have full control of decision-making.

Overall, it is a good place to work as long as you do your job and detach yourself from the institution and its culture.
This internship opportunity allowed me to continue my education as an EMT and work hands on with other EMT's and paramedics. We got to serve the students and staff at UVU.
Utah Valley University is a very nice place to work at large. It is a good environment and the morale is reasonably high. I find myself in a desirable teaching environment, and am generally treated with respect by colleagues and students alike. However, adjunct compensation is SOMEWHAT poor, even with the understanding that it is meant to be a part time job. Teachers who are passionate about their fields are a genuine commodity and should be properly appreciated by the administration at the highest levels. Even a small increase in the adjunct pay scale would be a shot in the arm for long term adjunct lecturers, which are desperately needed in STEM departments for lower division courses.
I worked on an excellent team. I also highly enjoyed working with a variety of professors and TAs. As an area technician I mostly worked with Windows computers, but also some Linux machines and specialty scientific equipment.
Utah valley University is great. Parking is a nightmare. Not sure what else so say as there is a 150 character minimum and I can't bypass this section.
I loved all the people I worked with. It’s truly a caring culture with great benefits and pay. They are very accommodating to their employees and I would go back in a heartbeat.
Planned and implemented health projects and programs at UVU for the students. Did health screenings and programs one on one with clients on nutrition and exercise.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utah Valley University. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight