Utah Valley University Employee Reviews

its a collage
Set Contractor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 8, 2018
It's a college to take it as it is, even in the jobs they are trying to teach you how to do things you should know how to do. That being said, you will also find out how stupid the students around you are at the same time. If you know enough to get a better paying job, get a Job somewhere that pays better. If you think you still need an education in one of the jobs they provide, get the job because you will get another education working for UVU.
Student Job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 1, 2018
nice leaders, no job security or chance of advancement because this was a student position. I worked in a nice out of the way financial aid call center, I was able to receive regular training and leadership support. the work environment was relaxed and positive. There was a strong team spirit, the work room was low stress.
Inexperienced management that purposefully hold people back.
Facilities - MAINTENANCE ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 31, 2018
Enjoyable job but difficult to move up and progress. Unfortunately this is not the case everywhere on campus just with my immediate position and and department.
Pros
great benefits, relaxed work environment
Cons
lots of red tape
Can be a great place to work depending on those you work with.
Admin III (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 17, 2018
I have loved working at my job for years until my supervisor changed and I chose not to agree to her suggestion of committing a Federal crime by lying about the department budget and how money was not spent illegally by me in order to get more funding. For the past year my work life has been plagued by harrassment and condescending language, poor assessment without given reason, and continued unfair treatment from this supervisor. I have reported the incident and person. Otherwise, I love the environment, the students, the faculty, the job itself. Unfortunately as a government sponsored school the pay is low for all the work we do.
Pros
Wonderful environment, people to work with, community
Cons
low end of pay scale, not responsive to tenured faculty who behave poorly towards others
Relaxed Workplace
STUDENT RESEARCH CALLER (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 13, 2018
It was all very relaxed and slow paced. The dress code was casual, which was nice. The hardest part was when it would be a slow day, making a 3 hour shift feel like 6.
Pros
Very flexible hours and days off.
Cons
No morning shifts.
Alright
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 12, 2018
I didn't hate working here, but I also didn't love it. The environment was pretty laid back and relaxed, but they wouldn't allow homework, even if it was dead.
Grader
Grader (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTOctober 10, 2018
Worked as a grader for 2 classes being taught by the same professor. Work what hours I wanted to. Had to communicate with students on why their assignments got the grade I gave them.
Pros
Your own hours
Great job for students.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 23, 2018
Lots of autonomy in picking your schedule, great coworkers, opportunities to work on own homework during slow office hours. Great opportunity for prospective educators, management is understanding and friendly.
Campus Connection Review
Project Manager/Designer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 12, 2018
Working at Campus Connection at UVU was a great experience for me! It gave me so much opportunity to do academic activities, get experience in graphic design and to get to know my follow class members more. Even though there is so much to know at that job with low pay, it was great having a job on campus to save me time and money going to my classes. Unfortunately you can only work there if you're going to school there.
Pros
Work at School, Opportunity, Flexible Hours
Cons
Low Pay, Just a College Job, Bad Parking
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 12, 2018
I loved working here. It was busy but not stressful. Co-workers were great but there was not a lot of room for advancement. But overall a great place to work.
Students are great - management not so much
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTSeptember 8, 2018
If you’re staff you are micromanaged and don’t get compensated properly. Favoritism runs rampant within the university. Seems rather difficult to advance. No training for new employees. Hopefully this new president will shake things up. They used to be flexible with hours but not anymore so you can might be the only person working in your area at certain times. Students are amazing to work with though.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Low pay, micromanaging, lack of safety, faculty treat you poorly
Decent place to work as a student or educator
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 29, 2018
Your mileage may vary as quality of positions greatly depend on what part of the university you work for, and whom you work under. I personally had a great experience working their as a temp, helping to maintain computer systems and projectors.
Helping customers and maintaining a clean environment.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Valley View CafeteriaAugust 28, 2018
In a typical work day I enjoyed helping and serving the customers. I like to interact with people, and this helped me to learn more skills. Sometimes there were stressful hours, but I had a good work supervisor.
Pros
Sometimes I had free lunches.
Cons
I little bit stressful
Excellent place to earn experience in lab work
CENTRAL STOCKROOM WORKER (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 23, 2018
My tasks usually consists of entering chemical compounds in the campus database. Occasionally, I would assist in keeping track of equipment being loaned to students for projects.

The management isn't too outrageous, and the supervisor is very helpful in training for the duties I was assigned.

The workplace is relaxing, and it can give me plenty of opportunities to catch up on schoolwork.

The hardest part of the job would be ordering equipment the faculty would need to use for their classes. The most enjoyable part would be to interact with the students and see their enthusiasm for learning.
Pros
Flexible schedule and relaxing work environment
Cons
Only allowed part-time hours and not full-time.
A love and hate relationship
Recycler (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 21, 2018
I loved working at UVU. It was very convenient being able to work there as well as go to school there. The job I did allowed me to be able to drive a truck which made it really nice and fun. And I was able to pick my own hours which helped a lot with my school scheduled. The only thing that was bad was basically the management I guess. I did recycling and while there it felt like UVU does not really care about recycling. It also didn't help that it felt like I was doing more then what I was getting payed. There are a lot of things that need to change about the recycling "department". This job can be somewhat frustrating but overall it was one of the best jobs I had and the most fun.
Great job for the school year
Test Proctor (Former Employee) –  Orem, UT 84058August 6, 2018
I liked working for the testing center the only problem is that I didn't make enough money and I don't think I was paid enough for the stuff that I had to do and deal with but if you're living at home and you're looking for extra money during the school year I would highly reccomend it. It's easy to make friends with your coworkers and the job itself isn't difficult once you're trained.
Best job I've had (so far)
Technician III (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTAugust 2, 2018
UVU isn't the highest rung on the career ladder, but it's a rock solid place to work. I've seen some not succeed here and they had their own issues to sort out that they brought to work. If you're a good worker, with a good attitude, a good ethic, generally competent, and hate the mistreatment of corporate jobs, you'll like UVU's culture.
Pros
Good opportunities, good culture, good pace, good benefits.
Cons
Pay is always an issue. I don't know how students even get by.
Was a fine work environment, trouble with middle management.
Interim Secondary Education Field Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTJuly 23, 2018
I enjoyed a majority of my time there- it's an excellent university and a great atmosphere for students. I just couldn't feel myself growing there as a professional individual. There were some issues with management and accountability that created a more uncomfortable environment by my last year there.
A toxic workplace for adjunct faculty.
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Orem CampusJuly 20, 2018
Many adjunct faculty are fired as punishment for cavalier things or to hire friends in their place. I know four in four departments in the last two years.. Excellent teachers with good track records. Too much power is given untrained people to manager adjuncts, their schedules and livelihoods, and they truthfully do not care a bit!
Pros
The students are amazing, generally diligent and hardworking.
Cons
Damaging, sometimes cruel, mismanagement of adjunct faculty by untrained full-time faculty.. Personal political agenda.
Excellent
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  McKay School of EducationJuly 5, 2018
Focus on teaching, nice colleagues, excellent environment, students are wonderful
I'd like to earn more because I work hard. My students love and appreciate all I do and all I teach them. I learn from them.