UTC Aerospace Systems Culture reviews

Found 184 reviews matching the search See all 1,110 reviews
Quality work and great people to work with.
Materials Management Intern (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 10, 2019
The culture was positive and everyone was always driving for change. Unfortunately, the employees were not informed well when the changes took place and this caused issues in the change process.
Demanding, high-tech workplace
Propulsion/Structural Design Engineer, MRJ (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJanuary 1, 2019
Fast paced workplace with challenging work assignments. Very nice locale and many people walk outside during lunch. Interior was remodeled such that cubicles were too small without the privacy to focus on your workstation. Culture was a mixed bag, reasonably friendly, but demanding.
Pros
High-tech interesting assignments and good pay.
Cons
Hectic and fast-paced, lack of privacy for workplace cubicles.
n/a
Sr Manager, Operations Support Engineering (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ 85034December 10, 2018
learned to manage different product lines and engineering department. Learned lean manufacturing concepts to improve processes to ensure employees are successful.
Enjoy being team player with self motivation, a strong work ethic, and I take pride in a job well done.
Quality Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Hodges, SCDecember 9, 2018
A typical day at work is having to multi task, learning something new everyday while maintaining a positive attitude. I have learned to be a team player as well as going the extra mile to make sure that we meet customers expectations as well as good quality.As far as management, I have to work hard at balancing differences between engineers and quality. The hardest part of my job would be trying to maintain a positive attitude knowing that the plant is closing, Such great people that I consider my work family will no longer be there on a daily basis.The most enjoyable part of my job is that I never have anyone looking over my shoulder and they trust me fully to do what ever is needed to get the job done.
Competitive pay and benefits, High & often unrealistic expectations
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WANovember 27, 2018
I worked at UTC for 5+years. UTC had 14 schedule changes during my time, to the current work load of 4on/4off 12 hour days, with a high frequency of calls early am on your days off to come in for OT. They have no problems paying OT you work. Work loads are visually tracked and expectations are often unrealistic. Support and management are often unavailable when you need them. The Spokane plant has a very high turn over due to management, schedule changes and ever increasing production expectations. There are never enough people to meet production demands and every day you have to explain why your department failed to meet them. This leads to conflict within the teams. There always has to be someone to blame. Managers in general are inexperienced and overloaded, and don't always handle things the best ways. Communication severely lacks at this facility. Promotions are given to the most popular employees over those who are most qualified. This facility expects a lot from all of it's employees and doesn't care if you have a life outside of work. Before it was bought out by UTC, the atmosphere was "family" oriented. Now it is strictly "corporate" oriented. HR is no assistance to it's employees for any matters. Plant manager allows managers, engineers and admin to run the facility. Often times people spend more time micro-managing other people than actually contributing to successful production.

Bottom line is, its a rough, stressful and frustrating job to go to day in and day out. However, if you can tolerate the gripe and dedicate yourself 100% (no other life than work) to your
  more... job, it pays well and the benefits are pretty good.

PS: To give you an understanding of the "corporate" standing UTC has, when the tax rebates came out for big employers, Walmart and other big businesses gave their employees bonuses. UTC used that money for itself to pay off debt and obtain contracts. UTC used to give out holiday bonuses and quarterly bonuses. Also planned family events at discounts. All of these perks rapidly declined to none (UTC buyout) since I was employed. From a business standpoint, I get it. But employees are valuable and should enjoy their job, as much as the shareholders enjoy the money we make them! Last thing to note: During the span of my employment, UTC fired and rehired over 500+ employees. There are only a couple handfuls of people still working from when I was hired.
Pros
Good benefits, Competitive pay
Cons
Management, Corporate ideologies, Work Schedule, Micromanagement, Unrealistic expectations, Promotions
Productive great co-workers
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXNovember 20, 2018
The overall vibe there is good for the most part. There are some Managers that are difficult to work with. The pay and benefits are quite competitive. And the safety of the workforce is a very high priority. They want you to go home intact every day, zero accidents is the standard.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Management needs work.
Great Learning Experience
Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Windsor Locks, CTOctober 10, 2018
Learned a lot from experienced coworkers who were always helpful and kind.
Great pay.
Management was kind and understanding.
Was exposed to various part of the company.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Work is sometimes repetitive
Bad place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Isabel Municipio, PRSeptember 26, 2018
Horrible, poor management ,lots of politics and no place for advancement . There a lots of backstabbing from co workers and lots of gossip. Sexual harassment is a common thing and mangement never do anytthing very hostil environment towards worker and no job security if you like working with fear stress and hostility this is the place for you
Pros
Cons
Whole operation
Challenging
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNSeptember 5, 2018
One can experience the worst and the best from management and leadership. Some solid and very progressive new leaders. Leaders from acquired companies tend to be inflexible, combative, resistant to change and progress
Pros
Advancement, tuition reimbursement, technical growth
Cons
Culture, lack of strategic planning, uses micromanagement and brute force to sales goals
Great place to intern and learn the skills you need to succeed.
Manufacturing Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CASeptember 4, 2018
The workday starts early with meetings and planning for the day. Management likes to constantly be informed on progress and any issues. The people are great and all love what they do. Everyone is friendly and helpful.
Pros
Fun place to work, great people, great products

Want to know more about UTC Aerospace Systems?

Ask a question
Excellent Wok Enviorment
Landing Gear Actuation Technician (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCAugust 27, 2018
Easy to get along with. Excellent training procedures. Valued every employee for their role and experience they brought. Hardest part of the job was keeping Maintenace busy, testing Equiptment had long down times
Productive and experience
Project Engineer/Contractor Employee (Former Employee) –  Santa Isabel Municipio, PRAugust 21, 2018
Excellent. I learn more than I expect in this job. the supervisor guide me on how I need to improve in the next step and teach with patience and carefully to improve myself as a project engineer.
Fun and rewarding
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNAugust 17, 2018
Great place to work. Very good culture, management recognizes great work. I would encourage you to look at UTC for your next employment opportunity.
Typical big Aerospace company
CSC, DESKTOP SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2018
They were ok. When United Technologies bought Goodrich Aerostructures out, the culture changed. CSC came in, and the relationship changed, and we were suddenly "the enemy".
Meh
AEROSPACE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAAugust 3, 2018
The people of company(the workers) are great and most everyone gets along. Management is however toxic and disregard people with families. Often expecting people to work 15 or more hours a day. There are many other workplace culture issues that have led to a lot of long time employees to recently leave for better treatment/pay for what is expected.
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Rockford, ILJuly 26, 2018
UTC is a challenging company to work for. You meet some really intelligent people and will occasionally work long hours but you are compensated well for it and are able to work on some really cool products.
it was nice
assembly (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJuly 16, 2018
fun the people were fun the job was cool and you learned new things ever body would help you stayed cool year around it was something to do everyday and great
Pros
people job
Cons
down sized
Unhealthy work environment
Sr. Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJune 30, 2018
There are very few people who will genuinely care about you in this company. The "rank and yank" culture encourages even the most human entering this work environment to side-swipe and crush coworkers. There is no collaboration or team work. You're better off surviving among Velociraptors.
Pros
Pay was good, but you sacrifice your family, friends and health.
Cons
Working here will shave several years from your life.
There's a lot of room for improvement in all of the departments within the company
Assistant Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 27, 2018
The workplace culture is very stressful and frustrating. It's either very busy or very slow, there's typically no in between. The hardest part of the job is the slow advancement and low salary. You do a lot more work than what they pay you. You also do tasks that are not part of your job description. The enjoyable part is you get to work with wonderful people who are going through the same struggle in the company.
Cons
Medical Insurance sucks, low salary, slow progression, very little advancement
Enjoyed woring there
Wire harness assembler (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALJune 5, 2018
I enjoyed working there but the commute was too much. I enjoyed the work. My team leader and group leader were great. I think that if I lived near there I would like to continue working there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UTC Aerospace Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UTC Aerospace Systems.

Powered by Comparably