Utica National Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Skip
Home Office Material Damage Specialist (Former Employee) –  CTFebruary 28, 2018
Field claims position working remotely. Territory predominately Connecticut and Massachusetts. Minimal supervision. Customer service in resolving issues that arose from auto physical damage claims was a main focus. Company car provided
Family Office Environment
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYFebruary 10, 2018
Great company to work for, stressfull job. The workload can be high at times, but your co-workers and management make it a really good place to work. Fair compensation and a relaxed, flexible environment.
Pros
Supportive Coworkers
Cons
Stress, Workload
fast pasted job
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJanuary 15, 2018
being on time, making sure your area is cleaned at all times. picking up pots and pans and putting them away. i learned how to use a dishwasher. part of the job that was the hardest part. what i enjoyed most was learning new things
Productive and fun place to work. Very excellent management team.
Sr Commerical Rater (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYDecember 30, 2017
Excellent place to work. Management team is excellent and very willing to help you excell. On a daily basis you continue to learn due to the ever changing environment of insurance. Management and team mates provide their knowledge so that you can grow and develop in your role.
Pros
Great working hours, excellent management team and friendly associates
Cons
No breaks and high family insurance costs
Job
Underwriter Support Associate II (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYNovember 18, 2017
Job was getting commercial insurance policies ready for the underwriters to review. The management was good however hard to talk to the higher up management.
Enjoyable work, capable leadership, friendly work culture,compensation so-so.
Cannot divulge (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYOctober 18, 2017
Very enjoyable work, very capable leadership, friendly and supportive work culture, flexible average pay, lousy benefits. Overall I would recommend this company, especially for learning the insurance business and planning next career steps.
Too many changes
Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYAugust 3, 2017
I really like the people here, they have all been pleasant to work with. There was no formal training class and was thrown to the wolves. I would like to continue in this line of work, but with more training
Learning experience
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJune 29, 2017
It was really wonderful learning experience. Worked as a Junior Business Analyst in the team and learned a lot from the team. Worked with multiple projects such as reengineering process and enhancements.
A Billion dollars
Senior Commercial Lines Rater Coder (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, MAMarch 3, 2017
Company is looking to become a billion dollar company but does not have the management or employees in place to succeed. Upper management is very disorganized. Company makes money despite itself.
Pros
Vacation time given to new employees
Family oriented company
Insurance Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYApril 19, 2016
Co-workers are always willing to help. Job and work life balance is excellent. Job Culture is that of a small "mom and pop" shop wherein you are treated like family. Company is flexible and would work to what best fits your schedule.
Good place to work for
Account Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYOctober 26, 2015
A typical day of my job includes going and picking up our cash payments first thing in the morning. After that I will key and apply cash to different accounts whose payments we receive.After that I will do a final balance of all of our payments. I do other various things such as keying code sheets, scanning what needs to be scanned, and any various jobs that are asked of me. Management is very good at my job and I always feel welcomed to ask any questions that I may need to ask. I have learned a lot about how credit and collections work.
busy insurance claims office
CLAIMS SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  East Windsor, NJMay 13, 2015
I worked for Utica for 15 years until the main office decided to close their NJ office. I loved that job, most of the people. Became very close to several. Family!
Nice and Friendly Environment
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJune 6, 2014
Good place to Work
Friendly Environment
Cooperative
Supportive
Very quiet and peaceful place to work.
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 14, 2014
I went from on the road Senior Claim Specialist to in-house Senior
Claim Specialist with this job. All inspections of property and physical damage was accomplished by third party investigators for the company. I did the initial telephone recording for record with all parties. I determined the loss values and made settlements. With physical damage of persons, if they were represented by counsel I in turn hired out our counsel of choice to represent the company. When the cases reached agreement in terms I made settlements by total payouts or by annual annuity payments.
My co-workers were very nice and enjoyed their company. Management was very terse in their engagement with the workers.
The hardest part of the job was the continual visual looking at the
computer screen and the typing of many reports, but was able to take breaks to relieve the stress. The company insured personal property, auto, commercial lines and many school districts.
Pros
Casual wear at the office.
A good place to work for with great employees
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJanuary 15, 2014
I was a claims specialist. I handled several different lines of business. My typical day would depend on which files were on diary and the amount of new claims received. Upon receipt of a new claim I would do a policy review to determine coverage, complete an investigation, all leading to various conclusions. Starting out over 11 years ago in the insurance industry I learned every aspect of claims handling. My supervisor and manager were both intelligent, kind, and excellent resources. I got along great with my co-workers we all still keep in touch. I think the hardest part of my job was also the most enjoyable. In the field of claims you are dealing with insureds and claimants that may have had a tramatic event take place in their lives; you feel bad for what they are going through. The enjoyable part is that you are the one that is able to walk the customer through the process and assist them in anyway you can.
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
closed the Albany office
Senior Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 25, 2013
Good place to work for Claims Professionals, while handling interesting Commercial claims.
Good.
Sr. Loss Control Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 28, 2013
I would leave my home each Monday and travel throughout the state of North Carolina visiting accounts. I would return home on Wednesday afternoons most weeks. I mainly conducted underwriting surveys for the underwriters at Utica visiting school systems, churches, and fuel oil dealers. I would visit approximately three to six accounts during the week and write reports on Thursdays and Fridays.
Pros
Excellent manager. Easy workload.
Cons
Not a very challenging job.
Working at Utica National was a rewarding experience.
Surplus Lines Team Underwriter/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYApril 5, 2012
Utica National offers an employee much opportunity. Their human resource department is exemplary. They offer continued education classes along with the ability for an employee to advance their career and apply for another position easily and without reprocussion. They believe in bench strength and building talent within the organization.
Pros
free education