Utica National Insurance and Founders Insurance Employee Reviews

Awful hours, awful pay
Typist Clerk (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJune 18, 2018
Rude co-workers. Very drama filled. Would load up work so other employees could go take hour-hour in half lunches and/or breaks. If you make a mistake they would not let fix it. Accused of not doing work that was not assigned to you.
Great Team
Claim Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYMay 25, 2018
Great people and a excellent benefits. There are several different departments within the company which means several different career paths. Great advancement within one line of work.
team work
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYMarch 15, 2018
I enjoyed my employment at Utica, very team oriented and willing to help. Very customer focused, changed positively with industry. Attainable goals and easy to speak with upper management
Grew with co workers over the years I was there. Enjoyed my job, working with clients in different area's on the east coast
Underwriting Associate (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYJanuary 4, 2018
Met with underwriting assistant to see if there were any pressing issues to go over. Started in record unit and worked my way up to the rating unit and then into underwriting, which was interesting. Really working with the claims and fraud departments. We had to take inhouse insurance courses over the years.
The company was into community service which I did for years and I still volunteer.
Learned how to get along with people in different situations.
Pros
Great cafeteria, we had a nurse and doctor on premises and a free gym
Cons
Promotions were slow
constant pressure
Senior Commercial Rater (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, MA 01880December 29, 2017
check queues for work
try to prioritize projects
begin working

the workplace is great, the co-workers are phenomenal
the raise in pay is just too few and far between
work rate is relentless
outdated computer systems - a lot of manual work
best part of the job is getting everything done, you wanted to in a day
Pros
close to home
Cons
short breaks, bi-weekly paycheck and no raises
Very professional and knowledgeable peers
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYSeptember 16, 2017
A typical day at work - worked as an individual, not part of any team.
What I learned - in-house knowledge base was fading due to outsourcing the work.
Management - Matrix style method did not create an enviroment of ownership and commitment.
Average place to work
Underwriting Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYSeptember 10, 2017
Utica National is always upgrading their procedures and management to provided the best and most advanced services.

The environment was ok, but not much room for advancement unless you commit to studying insurance courses during your time emplyed there.

I witnessed a woman lose her job 5 years before she was due to retire and was offered an entry level job because of it.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
No advncement
At least they were honest...
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYAugust 16, 2017
Full time employees are often expected to work 50+ hours per week because the company is too cheap to hire a sufficient number of IT resources to complete work in a timely manner. The management is a revolving door and IT is in desperate need of process standardization and improvement.
Pros
They honestly described long work hours during the initial application process, Most employees are pleasant and kind people
Cons
Long hours, poor project management, and lack of vision
Health Conscious Employer
Claims Adjuster - NSA PD, BI and MedPay Claims (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYJuly 8, 2017
I began employment here for their sister company of Founders Insurance Company.

Shy of 1 year they relocated back to Illinois, after we had the Non-standard auto claims department running smoothly.

We could have relocated back to Illinois with them, but we were all already established here locally.
Pros
On location Gym
Cons
Communication
Decent place to work.
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NY 13413July 5, 2017
Utica National was a good company to work for, it had it's ups, and downs just like any other job. The people were friendly, it had a laid back environment, which I enjoyed. The hardest part of the job was; there were only two of us working an entire department. Trying to keep the department running, and learning a new system at the same time was a bit tricky, but I made it through. A typical day at Utica was constant phone calls, Expense Reporting, paying invoices, making sure claims cash made it to the bank on time, passing out mail to the departments, filing, scanning, copying, daily reports, daily balancing. I learned application at Utica National. I have always been a hands on learner. I was finally able to apply what I had learned in college, and past life experiences. Since working at Utica National, I have gained more confidence in myself, and my abilities. I have picked up on more business terminology, and generally have a better understanding of Corporate life.
Pros
Free Lunches, Utica is involved in the community, doctor on site, Benefits.
Cons
Low pay, under staffing, communication between departments
Recent changes are concerning
Senior Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, NYJune 28, 2017
There has been a move toward segmentation that will limit growth of employees. Segmentation looks at an individual, sees what his or her strengths are and puts them in a position to do what they do best. The downside is that there is no new challenges or opportunity.
Pros
Work from home 2 days a week
Cons
Limited growth
Good Place, but Proceed with Caution
Senior Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 18, 2017
If you intend to work in the Atlanta office - DO NOT under any circumstances work on the Auto-MD team. The supervisor has the highest turnover rate in that office, bullies and harasses staff (she has had numerous HR complaints), and she is ALWAYS behind on her work (good luck getting authority to settle your claims). She's hands down the worse supervisor I've ever had.

Other than that, the job is GREAT. Good pay, work from home, excellent benefits, friendly staff, easy work. I would recommend this employer if, and only if, the potential candidate does not have to work under the current Auto-MD Supervisor.
Pros
Work from Home, Good Pay
Cons
Terrible Auto-MD Supervisor
fun work place- co workers were like family.
Claims Service Representative/File Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Windsor, NJJune 1, 2017
I worked here for 15 years until they closed. I enjoyed it very much. I liked learning new things. The ins and outs of insurance claim handling. I liked investigating claims- and settling them with insureds and claimants.
Pros
No claim was the same. Learned something new every day.
Cons
Office closed.
Executive Management clueless
Director of Underwriting Operations (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 23, 2017
Not looking to change - been operating the same way for 25+years and not looking to change - even when warranted. Management not interested in making change, just moving up the corporate ladder.
Excellent balance for work and family life
Senior Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2017
Great people to work with, a great learning environment. Great management to learn from. Relaxed environment and very close knit team. Specialized accounts and manual policies make claims handling very challenging.
Nice place to work
Sr. Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, MAFebruary 10, 2017
Good company. The claims system is out dated and makes it difficult to do your job since it is so old. Its a DOS system. I do like the management team. I like the fact that I was able to experience other jobs and attend a ride along with risk management staff since I am looking to get into Risk Management in the future. I love the fact that they allow you to work from home
awful company
Employee there (Former Employee) –  companyNovember 30, 2016
Will not go back. This company will force you to do more than you've ever done from other companies. You end up repeating everything you do. There is no work/life balance. If you have a family, the benefits cost entirely too much. You have to fight for a decent pay.
Pros
Most of the employees are extremely kind.
Cons
everything else
Family oriented company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 27, 2016
Management continues to change focus. The Atlanta office has a great manager and supervisors. The employees are great to work with. You have a to take tests for employment.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Healthcare
Billing software support
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYJuly 19, 2016
I support our product here, our company P&C insurance product and deployed to Utica Insurance company I supporting and helping my product knowledge to client.
good team
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, NYJune 23, 2016
Excellent team player with enthusiastic, strong initiative and ability to accept responsibilities and meet tough deadlines.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Utica National Insurance and Founders Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Utica National Insurance and Founders Insurance Reviews by Location