UtiliQuest Employee Reviews for Loss Prevention Officer

Good place to work. Difficult to justify time away from the family.
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Goshen, INApril 6, 2019
The work itself is not difficult for the most part. There are times it is challenging, but that is due to ticket volume outweighing the amount of people to complete the tickets. Having a team of people who are ready, and willing to give advice, or lend a helping hand, is quite nice.

"Secret audits" have been mentioned. You are told up front that these audits will take place. If you follow your training, complete the locates as per scope, and follow the Pro Ten steps, you shouldn't have any issues with being audited. These audits should be valued as learning experience.

When ticket volume is high, just remember you are one person, and focus on the ticket you are marking. No sense stressing over something you are not physically able to control. Be diligent.

Finally, I will say the most difficult thing is being away from family. Long hours/weeks makes for short evenings/weekends during the main "dig season" hard to deal with, and can be draining.

If you have a strong work ethic, ability to work on your feet for most of the day, and enjoy something different every day; this might be a good fit.
Pros
Work vehicle, great team, opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Work/Life balance
Not a bad place for a young adult, but strictly a stepping stone job
Tech 3 damage prevention specialist (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 26, 2019
Terrible job management, meaning there's to much work to be done and the proper steps to help decrease stress an increase productivity are obviously not taken. You can survive if you are a solid worker an don't waste time. Superiors don't want to be bothered or help when there is an overload of work. It seems as if evey worker besides a handful in every group is just honestly lazy. But like I said, it's good for a young adult to use as a stepping stone for your career path.
Pros
Work Truck, Gas Card, & almost too much overtime.
Cons
Too much overtime, lazy leaders an superiors, & unequal pay compared to other utility companies
Good to work if like being alone
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CADecember 19, 2018
Always on the road at a new location, provides a truck and tools and any other needs. Management when i was there was horrible. Very un organized and caused so much stress day to day.
Micromanaged, lack of communication from supervision
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  PAOctober 11, 2018
Doesn't provide you with everything you'll need to do the job
A lot of you learn as you go and provide yourself with tools need to do the task
Pay ok
Pros
Nice overtime
Cons
On call several times a month not much free time
Great place to work pay should be a bit higher
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 9, 2018
Great company training was very great and hands on lots of learning at a steady pace management is great very understanding and will help any way that they can only down fall to company is pay should be just a bit higher it’s not terrible but cost of living in the area makes you barley make ends meet other than that not a bad place to work and the benefits are good as well helpful coworkers and supervisors
Long Hours and Unreasonable Workloads
Damage prevention specialist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 9, 2018
The workloads are assigned with no regard to the actual time tasks will take to complete making them unrealistic and unreasonable. Poor communication.
Pros
lots of overtime pay
Cons
unrealistic expectations
productive and great work place
Damage prevention specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 28, 2018
I really working there. Good work environment, the safety of there technicians is very important. I'd recommend this company. Great supervisors with great attitudes.
ok place to work if your just starting out
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 7, 2018
i really enjoyed working here they just didnt pay enough at the time i was there ( min wage ) i here it is better now. lots of driving out by yourself
Pros
interesting work
Cons
low pay
Too Much Demand Not Enough Supply
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAFebruary 22, 2018
I enjoyed working with all managers and technicians. Everybody was nice to me. The type of work can get to be confusing at times. Overall I thought everything is great except one thing. I see this company is thriving with work load and well that's great but it might be too much. Everybody looks busy and stressed out especially during the times of Spring Summer and Fall. I think the biggest problem with this company is that they are trying to bite off more than they can chew when they just are not quite ready for the work load with the current available employees. There is too much demand (work) with not enough supply (workers). I think it is creating an even further hole when some people are quitting due to reasons that I guess have relations of being overly loaded with work. I see they have advertising with magnets on trucks. I constantly saw new employees in training, but I guessing it might not be enough when I still saw a high turnover rate. If I could help out with any ideas to share maybe put up billboard signs on I 66 and I 95 commercials on T.V. or radio stations, raise the price for clients to pay for services. Some days in the summer, I worked in the office and I spent the entire day helping in the dispatcher out asking customers for time extensions to help the technicians, and I am sure it helped but it's not lowering much in the overall demand load.

I saw the managers trying to give the employees the location where they wanted to work but I thought maybe this idea I had in mind could be beneficial, create an optional survey for all technicians that involve
  more... asking where they live, then where they want to work a) work in the same city b) a different specific location c) I don't care I like working in different areas everyday. Then map out everyones location and maybe give more preference to those technicians who have had more months/years of experience.  less
Pros
Most everything was fine to pretty good.
Cons
Felt a little too exhausted sometimes, didn't have much free time.
Good pay, horrible benefits, unstable hours
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 19, 2018
I got hired a year ago. I was completely new to utility location. The recruiter made a lot of promises. He said they had excellent benefits. He said there was going to be rapid career advancement. He said I should probably receive a promotion within 6 months. He said we were going to branch off into other utility related jobs that would mean new management jobs, etc. He said that management was top notch. And he said their would be plenty of overtime in the summer, and enough work to give us 40 hours a week in winter.

Almost none of this is true. The insurance is sky high. I had the most basic insurance, without vision or dental. For me and my two daughters I was paying nearly $250 a week. The insurance didn't cover much. You have 10 days of PTO a year, but people have had to fight to use it. They do let you take your work truck home, but you are not allowed to use it for personal use. Yet on your W2 they list the personal use of truck as a benefit. They receive a tax break, and you pay more on your taxes.

There are no promotions. People on my team have been elevated to "Lead." That title comes with no extra pay, so not really a promotion. One person has actually been promoted, after our 1 year anniversary. The other utility related jobs never materialized. We barely received any over time in the summer. It was very uneven. Some people got plenty. Others got none. It depends on your routed area.

Production is a joke. You are expected to finish 2 tickets per hour. These tickets fall into two categories. Single lots and project. Single lots
  more... are one single property, usually a house. These tickets take about 15 to 30 minutes to finish. Its very easy to get your 2.0 production rate. Project tickets are larger tickets. Usually they want either 500 ft, 750 ft or 1500 ft of roadway marked, These tickets can take upwards of three hours to finish. Yet these two types count the same. Some routed areas are almost 100% single lots, whereas others are mostly project. All raises and promotions are based on production. But if you are in a heavy project area, getting production is almost impossible. At one point this summer I was overseeing about 10 different projects. 3 out every 4 tickets I got was a 1500 ft ticket. Overtime had to be approved. So I had to work three times harder than other guys to try to get close to 2.0. I averaged a 1.4 production rate, which management said was bad.

This winter my hours were slashed. Some weeks I worked as little as 8 hours all week. Most weeks this winter I worked about 20 hours. SInce I received very little overtime during summer, I had nothing to fall back on.

Bottom line, this company will lead you to believe a lot of BS. Expect good pay, lousy benefits and unstable working hours.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else.
811 system
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHFebruary 12, 2018
Great job if you can work 6 days a week & work 50+ hours almost every week. Not so great if you are a single parent.
Very stressful environment and work by yourself everyday.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Work by yourself everyday; Very stressful; Expected to work lots of hours, 6 days a week
Lacks management, Common sense, no structure
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  IndianaJanuary 2, 2018
This is a good summer job. Nothing else!
Their expectations are wild, they continuously say it's not about numbers, but then they say it is. This place is the definition of inconsistent. Managers don't what's going or what to do. Painting meters in 5 below weather conditions when painting conditions state that we shouldnt be painting below 45 degrees. This management team is a joke. I feel bad for supervisor. We don't work in rain or in snow but yet they can tell us what they consider rain or snow. We don't know if we're working sometimes but don't get told untill late at night. Which makes it diifucult to plan accordingly. Overtime is only pro other than that stay clear of this place.
Pros
Company truck
Cons
Everything about this job
stressful
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 17, 2017
its a locating job so you have to over work yourself to get your job done. and you have to work weekends to be able to have a clean load for next week
Pros
pay is good
Cons
stressful place to work
Very stressful
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 25, 2017
This is the perfect job if you like being stressed. Immediate manager was great, but at the end of the day all they wanted was to get tickets done and make money. The well being of employees and their stress levels didn't seem to bother the regional manager.
Pros
Great coworkers, compnay truck and gas card
Cons
stressful, long days
Great job.
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 12, 2017
The pay is good. Advancement opportunities. Paid job training. Vacation time and PTO. Minimal supervision. Able to set your own schedule. Home everyday.
Pros
Good pay, minimal supervision.
Cons
Long hours, production driven, high cost of insurance.
Ridiculous hours, pay does not match production expectations
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Golden, COSeptember 12, 2017
If you're single with no hobbies, this type of work is good for saving up money but not much else. You're expected to work always no exceptions and throw in the on call 24 hours for on e week every two months. It's a lot to ask of someone
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
More hours than can be handled, never a day off. Your work output will exceed your pay
A good company but not enough employees
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Wall, NJSeptember 1, 2017
This can be a really good job but they want speed as well as precision. There is not enough help. For the most part it is a good job, but sometimes the hours can be too much and take time away from you and your family. You almost feel guilty if you can not finish your jobs due to emergencies during the day, not enough help and length of jobs
Pros
Be your own boss
Cons
Don't always have help when you need it
Great entry level job.
Damage Prevention Specialists (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 29, 2017
Great working environment for anyone looking for an entry level job. Has many new skills that can be acquired if you take the job seriously. Lots of driving.
Very stressful unforgiving company
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denham Springs, LAJune 7, 2017
When I arrived at Utiliquest I had many high hope, as I had heard many great things. Little did I know that the corporate midset had changed over the years to being all about number and less about people.
always safety minded
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 12, 2017
always safety minded. you can't work anywhere else but here if this is where you are employed.you have to be able to work on call and this does mean holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UtiliQuest. Our community is ready to answer.