UtiliQuest Employee Reviews

Poor quality leadership with little reward
employee (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 7, 2018
There are both really good people that run this company and there are some really BAD senior level corporate leaders that have NO interest in the health and well being of the employees. It seemed to me that it did not matter what you did here or no matter how many hours you worked you were not truly appreciated. It also seemed to me that the company has the mindset of "every one is expendable " attitude at the senior corporate level. They have a "check the box" mentality with no real compassion or positive leadership. Everything is based on write ups, disciplining, or terminating employees with no real positive coaching techniques and follow up on those employees. I was truly disappointed in my time with the company and would NEVER recommend employment here.
Pros
Writing your own schedule, Truck, Gas Card
Cons
Senior level LEADERSHIP is little or non existant. High turnover rate.
Senior HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJune 1, 2018
Review already submitted previously
a typical day
what you learned
management
workplace culture
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
okay
Locator (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 23, 2018
it was okay it had its days that is all some days were better than others after a while tho things got crazy and wild nothing mager just dum stuff that its.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Hard work
DSP Locator (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 9, 2018
It was a ok company to work for other company’s paid more for less work doing the same thing one good perk was a company car and iPhone and decent benefits
Pros
Company truck and iPhone
Good company tough industry
Operations Manager - Utiliquest (Ohio) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 2, 2018
The best company to work for in a very tough industry (utility underground locating).

Managers are in high stress and with a great deal of pressure.

Good people to work with if you can weather the constant storms.
productive and great work place
Damage prevention specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 28, 2018
I really working there. Good work environment, the safety of there technicians is very important. I'd recommend this company. Great supervisors with great attitudes.
very relaxed but interesting job
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 17, 2018
my duties were to locate underground utilities and mark them for other excavating contractors to avoid rupture or breaking of lines or conduits that were underground
Pros
always working alone
Cons
independent
driver/Utility technician (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAApril 6, 2018
typical work day- 8 hours outside driving to different
location.

what have i learned- i learned to locate underground
utility's

managemen- some great some not

work culture- different mixtures

hardest part of my job- trying to locate some thing that is hard to loacte

most enjoyable part of my job- is getting paid lol
Something new
Mapping Technician (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHApril 4, 2018
I like trying different things and it was something new. The work hours was very flexible and I also had a great team. I would recommend that experience.
Not enough money...
Field Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 1, 2018
I loved working for the manager and my supervisor...They were some of the best bosses I have had in a while...I also got along with all of my coworkers in the field...The company it self will do anything you need for you to feel like a family there..I never would have left if they paid more.....That is the only problem I had...I truly miss my supervisor and my general manager as well as HR they were very hands on and really down to earth...But before I left they did try to up the pay rate it just wasn't enough for me to pay rent and bills..
Pros
Great people to work for and with
Cons
Too low of pay
safety not a priority
Utility Locator/ damage screener (Former Employee) –  Colton, CAMarch 25, 2018
I was asked to do many things that were against company and OSHA guidelines. In my experience, safety was never a priority with UTILIQUEST. This job does offer you the ability to work independently
Management is terrible, very petty and bad communication.
Utility Line Locator (Former Employee) –  Strongsville, OHMarch 22, 2018
I worked here for a little over 3 months. They train you for about 3 weeks, you locate gas lines which can be very stressful and dangerous. They are not very helpful and expect a lot or of you. They do not do well with praise, but are quick to discipline. They're expectations are very high, much higher than other companies with more contacts who locate more than one utility. My supervisor lied to me on more than one occasion and sometimes treated me with little respect and a condescending attitude.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Stressful, heavy lifting, junky equipment, bad management.
Easy great company
Utility Locate Technician (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaMarch 8, 2018
great company to work for and easy job to do everybody works together as a team unlike other major companies that do this type of work . I enjoyed my time here.
Pros
Fun people to work with not micro managed group lunch company vehicle
Cons
Company only in certain states
ok place to work if your just starting out
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMarch 7, 2018
i really enjoyed working here they just didnt pay enough at the time i was there ( min wage ) i here it is better now. lots of driving out by yourself
Pros
interesting work
Cons
low pay
Lots of money to be made but stressful
Utility Locator (Former Employee) –  Wall, NJMarch 1, 2018
Drive cams are awful everything changes during winter time and you are watched like a hawk for every task but in summer time and the busy season you have free range and can work as many hours as you want but that doesn’t leave time for you to have a life on call is garbage you wind up working 3 nights a week non stop and constantly feel pressured to do more
Pros
Endless hours
Cons
Everything else
Too Much Demand Not Enough Supply
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, VAFebruary 22, 2018
I enjoyed working with all managers and technicians. Everybody was nice to me. The type of work can get to be confusing at times. Overall I thought everything is great except one thing. I see this company is thriving with work load and well that's great but it might be too much. Everybody looks busy and stressed out especially during the times of Spring Summer and Fall. I think the biggest problem with this company is that they are trying to bite off more than they can chew when they just are not quite ready for the work load with the current available employees. There is too much demand (work) with not enough supply (workers). I think it is creating an even further hole when some people are quitting due to reasons that I guess have relations of being overly loaded with work. I see they have advertising with magnets on trucks. I constantly saw new employees in training, but I guessing it might not be enough when I still saw a high turnover rate. If I could help out with any ideas to share maybe put up billboard signs on I 66 and I 95 commercials on T.V. or radio stations, raise the price for clients to pay for services. Some days in the summer, I worked in the office and I spent the entire day helping in the dispatcher out asking customers for time extensions to help the technicians, and I am sure it helped but it's not lowering much in the overall demand load.

I saw the managers trying to give the employees the location where they wanted to work but I thought maybe this idea I had in mind could be beneficial, create an optional survey for all technicians that involve
  more... asking where they live, then where they want to work a) work in the same city b) a different specific location c) I don't care I like working in different areas everyday. Then map out everyones location and maybe give more preference to those technicians who have had more months/years of experience.  less
Pros
Most everything was fine to pretty good.
Cons
Felt a little too exhausted sometimes, didn't have much free time.
Good pay, horrible benefits, unstable hours
Damage Prevention Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 19, 2018
I got hired a year ago. I was completely new to utility location. The recruiter made a lot of promises. He said they had excellent benefits. He said there was going to be rapid career advancement. He said I should probably receive a promotion within 6 months. He said we were going to branch off into other utility related jobs that would mean new management jobs, etc. He said that management was top notch. And he said their would be plenty of overtime in the summer, and enough work to give us 40 hours a week in winter.

Almost none of this is true. The insurance is sky high. I had the most basic insurance, without vision or dental. For me and my two daughters I was paying nearly $250 a week. The insurance didn't cover much. You have 10 days of PTO a year, but people have had to fight to use it. They do let you take your work truck home, but you are not allowed to use it for personal use. Yet on your W2 they list the personal use of truck as a benefit. They receive a tax break, and you pay more on your taxes.

There are no promotions. People on my team have been elevated to "Lead." That title comes with no extra pay, so not really a promotion. One person has actually been promoted, after our 1 year anniversary. The other utility related jobs never materialized. We barely received any over time in the summer. It was very uneven. Some people got plenty. Others got none. It depends on your routed area.

Production is a joke. You are expected to finish 2 tickets per hour. These tickets fall into two categories. Single lots and project. Single lots
  more... are one single property, usually a house. These tickets take about 15 to 30 minutes to finish. Its very easy to get your 2.0 production rate. Project tickets are larger tickets. Usually they want either 500 ft, 750 ft or 1500 ft of roadway marked, These tickets can take upwards of three hours to finish. Yet these two types count the same. Some routed areas are almost 100% single lots, whereas others are mostly project. All raises and promotions are based on production. But if you are in a heavy project area, getting production is almost impossible. At one point this summer I was overseeing about 10 different projects. 3 out every 4 tickets I got was a 1500 ft ticket. Overtime had to be approved. So I had to work three times harder than other guys to try to get close to 2.0. I averaged a 1.4 production rate, which management said was bad.

This winter my hours were slashed. Some weeks I worked as little as 8 hours all week. Most weeks this winter I worked about 20 hours. SInce I received very little overtime during summer, I had nothing to fall back on.

Bottom line, this company will lead you to believe a lot of BS. Expect good pay, lousy benefits and unstable working hours.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else.
811 system
Damage Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHFebruary 12, 2018
Great job if you can work 6 days a week & work 50+ hours almost every week. Not so great if you are a single parent.
Very stressful environment and work by yourself everyday.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Work by yourself everyday; Very stressful; Expected to work lots of hours, 6 days a week
Management sucks
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHFebruary 9, 2018
If you don't know what you're doing they treat you like you're stupid. Don't expect to get time off if your sick or family is in the hospital. I notified my manager of me going on vacation three times and 4 months prior to me leaving and he threw a hissy fit. When I was sick I called off and they showed up without warning and took back the work truck.
Not a stable workplace
Meter Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INFebruary 1, 2018
We can’t work in rain or snow which is crazy considering we are in NWI. The benefits are sky high, pay is fairly good at $14. Management is hit or miss at times they don’t respond to calls or texts. They are pushing now for numbers more than ever, but what job don’t.
Pros
Work truck
Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UtiliQuest. Our community is ready to answer.