UUNET

Working at UUNET: 13 Reviews

United States13 reviews

a great company until Wcom bought them

I learned more than ever before and did the most interesting work of my life. WCOM bought them, and everything came apart. It's sad, really. Now, most of those responsible are in jail.

Pros

opportunity to learn

Cons

bad culture at the end

Fun Fridays

Friendly and helpful co-workers from all divisions. Management was excellent with training and provide the right information or help to get the job done well.

UUNET insights

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

Horrifying

glad this place closed, thanks to their CEO being so shady. They just wanted to make money and didn't care how, people worked in the basement of the building in horrible conditions, lots of parties, harassment.

Great while it lasted

The company was a leader in it's time. It is now part of a much larger company and I am not sure how it is doing. I enjoyed making the Internet a better place!

UUNET was cool...Verizon sucked

UUNET one of the best places to work. The telco industry killed it and turned it into a H hole. I would never recommend working at Verizon. Seen too many friends either kill themselves or have the stress just gut their health.

Excellent company.

UUNet was a great company before it was taken over by MCI/WorldCom. Everyone in every single department were always willing to go the extra mile to help out whenever and wherever they could. Super great fun and made a lot of great friends.

Was a very creative culture

Focused on the job and customers and let you solve problems creatively. Unfortunately as it was taken over by WorldCom the culture was crushed. The network is still the largest part of the commercial internet (AS701)

Pros

Great environment and technology

Cons

Swallowed by larger organizations

Fun place towork

Telecommunication and engineering seconded to none. The management staff is open to new ideas and interested in all opinions from the employs.

Pros

Grate people

Cons

Out of buniness... Became Verizon.

Computer network Engineer

Computer network Engineer working with major companies (MSN, AT@T, et al) on their internet connection systems throughout the world. Asia, Australia, Canada, England etc.

Pros

Great learning experience

Cons

Laid off

Uunet

I worked with engineers everyday to find out status on their projects, then updated my system to reflect the project status. I would then report to sales/marketing with the projects status. It was a great place to work. Perfect atmosphere and flexible on hours.

Great Company.

On a daily basis I: Performed provisioning functions in both MCI and WorldCom systems. Provisioned install, change and disconnect orders for voice trunks, DS1s, DS3s, OC12s, DSL and PRI circuits. Expedited and tracked provisioning change orders as necessary. Monitored pending service orders for 600,000+ clients. Created ASRs (Access Service Requests) for submission to various local phone companies. Tracked FOC (Firm Order Confirmation) dates, ASRs and DLR (Design Layout Reports) daily. Coordinated dates and times for testing and turn-up of circuits. Provisioned facility assignment changes for alternate routing of internet circuits. Coordinated partial circuit disconnects as requested. Managed T1, DS1, DS3, OC12, DSL and PRI circuit records in the MCI database

Pros

Great Company.

Cons

Went out of business.

Sad it was absorbed. Was a great company. No longer in business.

UUNET international engineering

Working for UUNET was like no other place I had worked before, the management were all very strong with IP technology and UUNET fostered strong engineering principles. At UUNET I started as a network engineering supporting the international expansion and standardization effort. UUNET was acquired by MFS Technologies which was soon purchased by WorldCom which later then merged with MCI to become MCI WorldCom. The overall culture of the company changed however the Engineering organization supporting UUNET never let go of its ideology while I was there. UUNET held very strong engineering principles and commitment to not only produce network designs that would scale and provide highly availability but to test such design as well as the hardware and software in the engineering lab. Nothing went into the network that wasn't qualified and validated by a specific series of tests internally. As an engineering supporting the international networks I was responsible for conducting the maintenance activities remotely in conjunction with local Operations. I would lead and attend meetings outside the US to bring the local country teams together to work on engineering issues. One thing I loved about this job was the globalization effort that I lead. UUNET acquired numerous in-country ISP's and it was my responsibility to work with each ISP to converge their networks to a global standard while still maintaining any country specific regulatory requirements. Bringing new teams under the fold and merging networks was very complicated, not only technically but at a personal -

Pros

international ISP and telecommunications experience, travel opportunities

Cons

language barriers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UUNET. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about UUNET in popular locations

• UUNET