UW Health Employee Reviews

Overall very disappointed
Staff RN Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 16, 2018
There is a culture that is punitive and very non supportive
I worked in the ED and it was just the worst
I can not even describe the way the doctors treat ens and staff
Honestly HR is just the worst so don’t think they will help
November 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on and we take these concerns very seriously. So that we can address this, please call: 608-263-6500.

Lots of bullying, mismanagement.
Sr. Administrative Secretary - Confidential (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 15, 2018
Extremely poor work environment. Females tend to group up and make others miserable. Lack of believing in the overall vision of the company. CEO has a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude.
November 19, 2018

We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience and appreciate your input. Please contact us at: 608-263-6500.

Great place to work, if you're at the right location
Environmental Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 8, 2018
I worked at The American Center for a little over 3 years. I loved my job. It's a place you work and retire from (unrelated issues forced me out of the job, for now). The management staff is fair and laid back with those who come in and do their best, but are firm with those whose unprofessional behavior would impede the work flow. They have short, daily meetings so that employees and managers are always on the same page, day-to-day and week-to-week. There are lots of employee benefits including discounted emergency daycare, on site gym, pool, basketball court and turf field. Discounts at nice restaurants and cheap movie tickets as well as big discounts on over the counter medicines from their pharmacy. They even have several days throughout the year where the President buys every employee a free cup of coffee from the on-site Beans and Cream. They recognized my strengths and experience almost immediately and moved me into a weekend supervisor position. Their pay is fair and competitive.

So far as I've heard within the company, this is unique to the American Center location, and the environment at the main hospital is way different.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay, lots of on-site perks and off duty discounts.
Cons
Nothing, really, unless you aren't a strong, independent worker. Or if you work at main hospital. This was the best job I ever had.
Horrible leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 3, 2018
Worked for UW Health 10 years and it has been going downhill the past few years. Decisions are bogged down through process. Instead of layoffs, management doesnt replace vacant positions which means the work is given to the existing staff. Everyone is overworked and stressed. Turnover is really bad. Horrible management. Do not work here!
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input. If you have any further feedback please call: 608-263-6500.

Terrible unless you enjoy being ruled over with an iron fist
Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) –  WisconsinOctober 25, 2018
You will lose your soul to this organization and be made to feel as though you are not smart enough to make even the most simple of decisions on your own. A five minute task ends up taking months after having it "reviewed" by all of the tiers of management before you're allowed to move forward. Pay is low for the industry and benefits get worse every year.
Pros
my co-workers are great
Cons
literally everything else
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please contact us at: 608-263-6500.

Fun and relaxed
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 15, 2018
made appointments for mammograms and x-ray department, entered information into epic system, and in patient charts, answered telephone and transferred to appropriate departments as needed.
Pay good Work Stress and life Very Poor
Central Sterile Technician (Current Employee) –  hostpialSeptember 28, 2018
New Manager of CS has no clue what she's doing! Way over her head. ALWAYS Short STAFF and has STRICTS RULES for all the new HIRES of 3 -6 months. Work LOAD is too much. Always HIRING! Fast turn over rate. Over WORKED not worth the pay. Go else where. No one can leave our (department due to (LACK of STAFFING) Were stuck!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Over loaded high turn over rate. Always short stafted
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on and we take these concerns seriously. So that we can address this, please call: 608-263-6500.

Great place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 15, 2018
I enjoyed working there. Great work/life balance, benefits, etc. Room for advancement. Great training program and excellent management. I would work again for UW Health.
clear established goals and expectations
Optician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 5, 2018
U.W. Health is a great place to work, they encourage you to grow with the company. U.W. Health is the best so they only hire the best. I had to move down south, but I didn't like leaving. They are great people.
Health Referral Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 28, 2018
Amazing environment. Fabulous staff with infinite
knowledge, great team work. Patients can be challenging at times but working together makes it such a great place to work.
Good benefits unable to work with school schedule
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 21, 2018
They create a good work environment. Very bad at accommodating school schedules. Lack of management follow through. I was unhappy about they handled my resignation and the HR department isn't great about getting back to you about issues you have with payroll.
September 20, 2018

I love the providers here
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIAugust 9, 2018
I also love most of the MA's that I work with. Management needs improvement - honest communication is lacking. There is good teamwork in most areas of the clinic. The people who are affected most should be involved in decision making and planning of new ways of doing things.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
communication from management, CEO should be more involved.
Good job
Chefs Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 6, 2018
I loved it perfect place to work. Pay was great and everything I did there I loved it. Met many new people and so diverse. Didn’t like the manager in my position.
productive and fun
Health Information Processing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 1, 2018
UW Health is a great place to work. They make sure you have a life and work balance and are very understanding. They always try to engage co workers in activities in celebrating the hard works of an employee.
Negative Environment
Environmental S (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 28, 2018
With all of the budget cuts in the UW Health system, the hospital has (as I am still employed there) become a very negative, ever changing place to work. Policies are constantly being changed, and not for the better. :(
July 30, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on. Please call HR at 608-263-6500 to discuss further.

Job satisfaction depends on what department you're in
Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 28, 2018
Pros: decent pay for what you do
good benefits if you qualify(I don't)
good work/life balance
people are nice

Cons: don't promote from within
no flexibility with hours
lots of cutbacks led to bitterness and anger among employees
which affected productivity and relationships
Pros
good pay, work/life balance
Cons
no promotion from within(gotta apply with all the others and hope you get it), lots of angry people due to cutbacks
managers
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 23, 2018
A lot of housekeepers need better training.hospital needs a good cleaning. lack of staff. a n.p was rude to me denied me my heart meds. cafeteria over priced.
Pros
good pay
Cons
managers
July 25, 2018

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d like to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please contact us at: 608-263-6500.

Don't recommend the stress
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 19, 2018
I'm a current worker and I'm just letting you know that it is super bad here. Management doesn't know that they are doing forcing people to work 7 days straight without a day off and on top of it all of they are forcing us to do the job of 4 people by yourself. Way to stressful
Pros
Cons
Overworked under payed.
July 23, 2018

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're sorry to hear you're unhappy in your role. Please contact HR at 608-263-6500 to discuss your concerns.

Supervisors time spent in too many meetings
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Middleton, WIJuly 10, 2018
As a supervisor, it was required that I attend several meetings a week which took away time that I needed to spend on tracking productivity and training.
Pros
Workout room on site (at AOB)
Numbers Driven
Business Intelligence Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 28, 2018
The organization is becoming more and more numbers driven. Employees try to shield patients from it, but there is a lot of pressure to perform to ensure organization is running as lean as possible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UW Health. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight