UW Health Employee Reviews

Great place for beginners looking for law enforcement experience.
Senior Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 17, 2019
People can make it what they want at UW health. If you have a bad attitude, it will follow you where every you work. You will have people with issues try and make your good day at work change. Management is great when dealing with personal issues and work issues. They continue to mentor you through your career. They take the time to see what your strengths and weaknesses are.
Pros
Mentoring, benefits, days off in a row
Cons
Rotating working weekends
Used to be a great place, but not anymore
Sterile Processing Tech (Current Employee) –  U.W. HealthMarch 9, 2019
Not a good place to work anymore. Management has to many favorites. You get absolutely no recognition for extra work you do. Not even a thank you. People take extra break times lunch times. For instance 15 minute break turns into 30 or 40 minutes, 30 minute lunch turns into 1 hour or more.Nobody gives a hoot. Pay is the lowest in the state and they wonder why they can't get and keep employees.
Pros
paying job
Cons
workers not monitored. too many slackers
Overworked and underpaid
Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 1, 2019
Management doesn't do much about employees who cause problems, those who have attendance issues and those who tend to bully and cause drama with others or have all of the above. So overall management could take more of an initiative of getting rid of those, discipline or move those who don't wanna be here. Also, the difference of rules between shifts. Often times 2nd and 3rd would halve to pick up after 1st. We could also get paid more since we get yelled and snipped at by RNs, Dr, and HUCs.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Management and pay
March 4, 2019

We're sorry to hear you are having a bad experience. We will forward your feedback to the appropriate people. Feel free to reach out to HR at 608-263-6500.

workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 22, 2019
UW was an overall good work place. It helped with moving around the different units to get a better field at what the nursing field had to offer. The employees were overall helped you and were great at helping you with what you needed.
Pros
Good benefits, good employees and good work experience.
Cons
Not flexible and being in the float pool you didnt always get the best assignement.
Relaxed atmosphere
Patient Scheduling Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 16, 2019
Enjoyed working with a great group of caring, fun and supportive group of people. Management is great, attentive and very understanding to employees needs or changes.
Pros
Supportive
January 22, 2019

We're glad you had a good experience, thank you for sharing.

my biggest life regret
Mental Health Clinician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 12, 2018
I work in mental health (behavioral health). I am full-time. I do not recommend any of the mental health positions. I know many talented clinicians (social workers, counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses) that quit. I will be joining the smart ones who left soon. there have also been many talented physicians and advanced providers who left.

Management will sell you snake oil. THey will look you right in your eye and tell you lies. Do not expect the truth. Expect to be misguided and let down. Their only focus is on me-me-me...to advance their position and make themsevles look better.

I heard many false promises. I watched my manager lie to my coworker and lie in different meetings we had. l brought up issues with human resources, director of psychiatry and mental health services, committee members for mental health...and nothing. I tried to talk to my manager...and nothing.

And that is what you receive when you come here and dedicate your talent....nothing. I have seen coworkers in the mental health division get slammed and shammed by management for asking for a day off for an excusable reason. I caught my child's viral pneuomona and had a high fever. i guess i will never ever get sick during the work week again.

There is a lot of change here. Many people are unhappy in many different areas of the hospital. This system has been tanking since I started years ago. If you want pressure to help bill money for a hospital that is in butt loads of debt and pressure to bill in sketchy and sleazy ways AND be yelled at for the one day you might need
  more... to use your excused time-off, then maybe this is for you. if not, go elsewhere.  less
Pros
good food
Cons
see my review
December 17, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We're sorry to hear you had a bad experience, please call: 608-263-6500 to discuss.

This is a great place to work
prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 12, 2018
A typical day is very varied, if you want to contribute and you want to be challenged and part of a team this is UW health! There are tremendous learning opportunities and the culture is what you make of it STAY POSITIVE The hardest part o the job is the poor patients who are very sick and in trauma they are leaders in the care support of this population The most enjoyable part is the sense of accomplishment Overall a great place to work I highly recommend
Pros
Learning atmosphere
Cons
highly expensive food
December 17, 2018

Thank you for your review, we're glad you enjoy working at UW Health.

Awful Place
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 9, 2018
I would never recommend working for this company.
Since the change in upper leadership/CEO, everything is now about money and less about patient care. I am being 100% honest with this.
Most clinics are understaffed so the staff that are left over are burnt out and overworked. It's not a good place if you are a person who has a family or can easily become stressed. It's a toxic work environment.
One huge turn-off about this company is the PTO policy. It's seniority based. If you are a new employee, you will need to know your name goes on the bottom of a long list for approval for days off. If anyone above you requests that day after Christmas off, you will not get it. I have been with this company 5 years and have yet to get ANY time around the holidays off. It doesn't rotate each year. So if you have parents that live out of state, or a child you want to take on vacation during the summer months (these are restricted months) then you are out of luck.
Pros
coworkers, benefits
Cons
work environment, Ceo, management, flexibility (none), Pto
December 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on. So that we can address this, please call: 608-263-6500.

Overall very disappointed
Staff RN Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 16, 2018
There is a culture that is punitive and very non supportive
I worked in the ED and it was just the worst
I can not even describe the way the doctors treat ens and staff
Honestly HR is just the worst so don’t think they will help
November 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on and we take these concerns very seriously. So that we can address this, please call: 608-263-6500.

Lots of bullying, mismanagement.
Sr. Administrative Secretary - Confidential (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 15, 2018
Extremely poor work environment. Females tend to group up and make others miserable. Lack of believing in the overall vision of the company. CEO has a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude.
November 19, 2018

We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience and appreciate your input. Please contact us at: 608-263-6500.

Great place to work, if you're at the right location
Environmental Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 8, 2018
I worked at The American Center for a little over 3 years. I loved my job. It's a place you work and retire from (unrelated issues forced me out of the job, for now). The management staff is fair and laid back with those who come in and do their best, but are firm with those whose unprofessional behavior would impede the work flow. They have short, daily meetings so that employees and managers are always on the same page, day-to-day and week-to-week. There are lots of employee benefits including discounted emergency daycare, on site gym, pool, basketball court and turf field. Discounts at nice restaurants and cheap movie tickets as well as big discounts on over the counter medicines from their pharmacy. They even have several days throughout the year where the President buys every employee a free cup of coffee from the on-site Beans and Cream. They recognized my strengths and experience almost immediately and moved me into a weekend supervisor position. Their pay is fair and competitive.

So far as I've heard within the company, this is unique to the American Center location, and the environment at the main hospital is way different.
Pros
Good benefits, good pay, lots of on-site perks and off duty discounts.
Cons
Nothing, really, unless you aren't a strong, independent worker. Or if you work at main hospital. This was the best job I ever had.
Lots of innovation
Senior Analytics Consultant (Current Employee) –  Middleton, WINovember 6, 2018
Fair income, good work/life balance
Lots of opportunities to try different technologies
Culture focused on balancing costs and working efficiently without compromising patient experience
Horrible leadership
Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 3, 2018
Worked for UW Health 10 years and it has been going downhill the past few years. Decisions are bogged down through process. Instead of layoffs, management doesnt replace vacant positions which means the work is given to the existing staff. Everyone is overworked and stressed. Turnover is really bad. Horrible management. Do not work here!
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate your input. If you have any further feedback please call: 608-263-6500.

Terrible unless you enjoy being ruled over with an iron fist
Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) –  WisconsinOctober 25, 2018
You will lose your soul to this organization and be made to feel as though you are not smart enough to make even the most simple of decisions on your own. A five minute task ends up taking months after having it "reviewed" by all of the tiers of management before you're allowed to move forward. Pay is low for the industry and benefits get worse every year.
Pros
my co-workers are great
Cons
literally everything else
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please contact us at: 608-263-6500.

Fun and relaxed
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 15, 2018
made appointments for mammograms and x-ray department, entered information into epic system, and in patient charts, answered telephone and transferred to appropriate departments as needed.
Pay good Work Stress and life Very Poor
Central Sterile Technician (Current Employee) –  hostpialSeptember 28, 2018
New Manager of CS has no clue what she's doing! Way over her head. ALWAYS Short STAFF and has STRICTS RULES for all the new HIRES of 3 -6 months. Work LOAD is too much. Always HIRING! Fast turn over rate. Over WORKED not worth the pay. Go else where. No one can leave our (department due to (LACK of STAFFING) Were stuck!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Over loaded high turn over rate. Always short stafted
October 1, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We appreciate you letting us know what is going on and we take these concerns seriously. So that we can address this, please call: 608-263-6500.

Great place to work.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 15, 2018
I enjoyed working there. Great work/life balance, benefits, etc. Room for advancement. Great training program and excellent management. I would work again for UW Health.
clear established goals and expectations
Optician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 5, 2018
U.W. Health is a great place to work, they encourage you to grow with the company. U.W. Health is the best so they only hire the best. I had to move down south, but I didn't like leaving. They are great people.
Health Referral Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 28, 2018
Amazing environment. Fabulous staff with infinite
knowledge, great team work. Patients can be challenging at times but working together makes it such a great place to work.
Good benefits unable to work with school schedule
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 21, 2018
They create a good work environment. Very bad at accommodating school schedules. Lack of management follow through. I was unhappy about they handled my resignation and the HR department isn't great about getting back to you about issues you have with payroll.
September 20, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d like to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please contact us at: 608-263-6500.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UW Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight