UW Health
Here to help
Coronavirus update

UW Health Employee Reviews

United States210 reviews
Great people to work with.
Some departments had a great working relationship, but some departments were not as welcoming if you did not fit in with the group.
Management did not try to solve these issues, but left it up to coworkers to deal with disputes.
Not for everyone
If you did not intern there, you were treated as a outcast. Parking is crazy expensive. Very cliquey. If you did not fit in the groups, you were treated horrible on a daily basis. I was very proud when I was hired. I was even happier when I left. Many who were outcast all said the same thing. I am here for the name on my resume.
Pros
Its UW Hospital
Cons
Bullying, lack of support, Men are treated like deviants.
May 4, 2020
We're sorry to hear about your bad experience working at UW Health. We shared your review with the appropriate people in order to address this issue. Thank you for letting us know.
Pass this one up
You will work so hard then get sent home as soon as you are not needed. If you want to be paid you will have to rely on your vacation time which can be used up in the first quarter. Better off finding a place that respects you and your time.
Clinical Lab technologist
Something needs to change! Pay is low and management is awful. Never any perks or good things to say to us. People are constantly leaving while bureaucrats at the top stay. If I were to change anything, I would have med techs work 10 or 12 hour shifts, more benefits and better pay/more perks.
April 13, 2020
We're sorry to hear about your experience. Please contact HR at 608-263-6500 in order to discuss this further.
Zero work-life balance, poor employee engagement
UW Heath's treatment of employees has gone downhill since the integration of UW Medical Foundation and UW Hospitals and Clinics. Employee satisfaction is at an all-time low according to the last employee engagement survey. My management team is very concerned about managing up and looking good to their supervisors rather than managing down and taking care of their employees. Management does not understand nor care to understand the daily processes so work is piled on with unrealistic expectations. Employees continually burn out. Overtime for hourly employees is denied and salaried employees are continually working 10-12+ hour days. I used to love my job. It is so disappointing that most of the people (short and long-term employees) on my team have left the organization within the last year.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Overall happy
Currently working in outpatient surgery setting as an RN. I feel like benefits and pay are great, compared to the previous two companies I have worked for. I appreciated UW being transparent during the interview process with benefits, pay, hours, etc.

Every job will have its quirks, but overall very happy and enjoy coming to work. I work with a great group of people, and we enjoy the impact we are able to make on the patients we help care for.
February 10, 2020
We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review and are happy to hear you enjoy your job!
Very family unfriendly
If you have a family and ever need time off to care for them, good luck. Management expects you to work even if you are sick and if you call in, it could result in discipline.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Fantastic
Due to a medical condition working in the cold in Wisconsin is getting more difficult.
Being an hvac tech with a service truck my conditions are to work in the cold. I loose feeling in my hands Very quickly.
Always something to learn
It's an ever changing environment and you always learn new things. UW Health provides employees with great benefits and a challenging environment to work in.
January 27, 2020
Thank you for submitting a review. We're happy to have you on our team!
Great benefits, okay pay, poor management
The benefits here are unbeatable. Medical, Dental, vision, 401k, PTO, Sick time, all great. Only downfall is you have to pay to park at the hospital due to it being on campus grounds. The pay is okay but not as good as competitors. Turn around is high because management doesn't seem to value its employees!
N/a
Project was interesting. Issue with business VP whom did not understand IT processing. She could not understand project plan and why outside vendor required certain infrastructure before certain modules could be installed.
So much offered yet so little given
This job is only for people wanting to take a stepping stone towards a career in law enforcement and I say that lightly. For the first month it’s great as your learning quite a bit. First the schedule is detrimental and just awful. Going 6 weeks without a weekend off even though you have time off during the week was the absolute worse thing for me. After that first month your on your own and it is one of the most boring jobs there could be. Security is viewed as the absolute worse there. Security is constantly being criticized by other departments for the lack of work they do, and there’s some truth to it. There’s months you won’t do anything for your 8 hours, and then there’s days here and there that you could be. Management promised advancement opportunities while during the interview. But everyone there is stuck where they are nobody is leaving anytime soon. Management also turns towards you once they know your leaving. I was there about 6 months and that was 6 months to long. Your co-workers will push all their work into you, and turn on you every instance they can. The work environment is toxic there, and I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone. The starting pay may be a little higher then other security officer positions, but it’s not worth the stress. Especially when you get stuck at dispatch 15 times a month while the OIC (officer in charge) gets to pick their schedules and pretty much screw you over. Also they don’t keep track of days you have off as multiple times I got called asking where I was for work. I would consider looking elsewhere before I ever recommend this - more...
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management, no advancement, co-workers, boring shifts
January 6, 2020
We appreciate you providing feedback on your experience in Security. We will make sure the appropriate people are made aware so this can be addressed.
Good place until
... they adjust titles and wage caps. Once you're over the wage cap, they come up with any BS reason to terminate you. They become creative in their reasoning and don't offer you a chance to argue the reasoning.
December 30, 2019
We're sorry to hear about your bad experience. Please contact HR at 608-263-6500 if you'd like to discuss this further.
Pro and Con
Overall I really enjoy the team I work with. We rely on each other and our Supervisor/Manager are very much involved in trying to make their staff happy.

Top Administration is about squeezing every nickel out of Employee benefits to save a buck. This especially in the last several years. I understand that the organization my must compete with other National Healthcare systems, but at what cost to the employee's happiness. I don't see the top Admins taking a pay cut or declining their bonus money.
Culture and Benefits
Very proud to work for UW, however, there have been a lot of changes that have impacted the culture. The best part of UW is the staff, and their devotion to patient care.
UW is the pinnacle of healthcare
I am proud to be a member of a team where the patient experience is a top priority. We are constantly working to provide the patient with fast and accurate healthcare, while providing a comfortable place to visit for appointments or care.
December 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're happy to hear you are enjoying your time here.
Very informative
I learned a lot working here. If you like to learn, this would be a good place for you to work. If you like a fast pace and the chance to improve your customer service skills, this is a great job.
November 18, 2019
Thank you for sharing, we're glad you enjoyed your role at UW Health.
No retention policy
Do not value employees and no employee recognition. Do not promote learning or advancement within, disregard for employee experience. Nepotism and favoritism
Pros
Cons
Lack of communication and disregard of employee work experienceLocation
Management is more about power then actual job needs
Managers are like high school girls that enjoy telling others what to do just to be in control More so then being a great supervisor and doing what’s best for UW hospital as a whole.
October 14, 2019
We appreciate you letting us know what's going on in your department. Please contact us at 608-263-6500 so this can be addressed.
UW Health Review
There is opportunity to grow within this company. I would say the most enjoyable part about my job is coaching a staff member and giving them the necessary tools and feedback to succeed in their role.
October 7, 2019
Thank you for sharing, we're glad to hear you enjoy your job.
Was good. Now not so much
I am a current employee and have worked for 9 years. It used to be a great place to work. It has gone downhill fast. No help understaffed in all departments and I just work at a clinic. Hospital is constantly on crisis mode for staffing. All staff is unhappy no matter what department you work in. It’s really sad. They continually change policies, procedures, etc. It just is making it harder to just do our job.
efficient and cost effective
September 30, 2019
Thank you for the feedback. We will pass your information on, in an effort to correct these issues.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at UW Health. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UW Health.