UW Health

UW Health Employee Reviews

UW Health insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Featured review

UW Health selected this as a representative review
I've worked in major cities in 5 different states over the 41 years of my nursing career. I find UW Hospital to be one of the best places I've worked with excellent pay, benefits, and work conditions/staffing. My coworkers are great and the unit manager is sincerely caring and clearly on the side of her workers.

Pros

wonderful coworkers

Cons

expensive parking

August 9, 2021
We're happy to hear you enjoy working at UW Health and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We'd like to feature you on our Careers social media pages, if you're interested, contact apollak@uwhealth.org.

They care about employee happiness

My department is wonderful. Management checks in often to keep communication open. Remote work opportunities exist in many, many departments. Benefits are second to none.

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance

Amazing people

I worked at UW for a short time as a CNA. It was the best place I have ever worked as a CNA. I left so appreciated and protected by the management. As healthcare workers, you often are in dangerous situations but, they have so many resources to protect and help you and your patient. I was also paid the most I have ever been paid as a CNA. However, the best part of the job was the people. Everyone cared so much about their job, everyone was willing to help, and everyone was so knowledgeable. From my point of view, the patients were also well cared for by some of the best doctors in the country.

Cons

Have to clock out for breaks, Did not celebrate nurses for nurses week

One of the best healthcare companies around the area, but room for improvement.

Good pay, solid coworkers, management is welcoming but not very flexible. Hours aren't flexible. Long shifts and lots of assigned OT when short staffed (often).

Pros

Pay, benefits, coworkers

Cons

hours, flexibility

Supportive nursing staff, upper management doesn’t really care about staff.

Nursing staff within the unit is amazing. Need to pay nurses who work there more especially those working in COVID. Nurses work until exhaustion. Short staffed often. Took 18 months for the hospital to recognize COVID units and what they are doing and to even begin to start doing anything to help. No hazard pay.

Pros

Good team work

Cons

Not enough staff, support or pay

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

Yikes

It’s an okay company, overworks managers to where you can see they are stressed and all over the place, no talks about raises or bonuses. Not even around the holidays for any employees. Understaffed, hardly get people to stay.

Okay to work until union stopped

Good place to work till union stopped. I left after that but there were a lot of changes that fell from the sky when the union was abolished. We didn’t know what was going toHappen next

Evs

Very short staffed your open to exposure no COVID pay no time really to train they work you like a dog poor management communication all the leads think they run things at times u feel uncomfortable maybe a race issue there

Pros

Pay

Cons

They charge you to park charge u for scrubs

August 30, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We are sorry that you had a bad experience at UW Health and would like to look into the issues you mentioned. Please contact us at 608-263-6500 so this can be shared with the appropriate people.

Good coworkers; upper management ignores those at bedside.

Great place for learning and most everyone from doctors and experienced nurses to housekeeping staff and kitchen workers all have a common sense of purpose. Pay increases are not keeping up with other hospitals in Madison and it’s easy to tell that the corporate leadership is more concerned with profit than patient satisfaction or employees concerns.

Pros

State retirement system.

Cons

Benefits steadily being whittled away.

Big company, zero communication

Nothing good to say, bug company a lot ppl, pay for parking. Expensive health benefits, not clear of duties, differs from unit to unit. Management not supportive

August 2, 2021
Thank you for providing feedback. We will share your response with the appropriate people, so that this can be addressed.

Jobs at UW Health

See more jobs

It was a nice workplace until the new CEO got there

They get rid of their longtime employees any means possible by destroying their lives worked at UW hospital in Madison for 28 years they did everything they could to try to destroy my life I got nominated for employee of the month several times and in the early years UW was very good place to work now that they have the new CEO he is a very awful person doesn't care about his workers at all

July 19, 2021
We're sorry you had a bad experience at UW Health. We'd like to learn more, please contact 608-263-6500.

Decent pay and benefits but hard to use them

Poor management. They don’t care about staff, hard to ask off for personal appointments and vacations without getting penalized. They only care about patient satisfaction surveys. Three month resignation requirement is ridiculous.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor work/life balance

Good benefits

This hospital has pros/cons depending on department. Some areas are more cohesive than others. Good health insurance benefits. Hard to make change and implement new ideas

Depends who you are and what you do

It's a company that is dedicated to making money. Something you're reminded of almost every day. Management is typically a lot of "yes men" aiming to please their higher ups and CEOs. Management did not take care of their staff and we were treated like we were disposable. Bullying was also noted amongst managers. Pay was abysmal for the work you do, like an absolute joke for pay. Coworkers were the only saving grace of the building. Benefits are good

Pros

Good benefits, coworkers

Cons

Bad leadership, subpar pay

July 12, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your former role. We will share this information with the appropriate people.

toxic clinic

I should have run from the 1st call to interview. I was hired in a management role and I have to say the training to the system was so spread out over the first 3-4 months that it caused issues with getting daily task completed. The leadership team above me turned over so often it was hard to keep up and each new person wants to make so many changes. You are pulled for nonstop meetings so clinic staff become upset that you are not available for daily questions. While they do offer good pay and benefits it was not worth all the stress of the clinic. I have worked in 2 other healthcare companies and nothing this dysfunctional. I would not recommend this healthcare company to work for unless you are just looking for a paycheck as you will just be a number and will be worked to the ground. They are extremely short staffed and will not hire new staff to even replace those leaving.

Pros

good pay and benefits

Cons

No work life balance for salary employees, short staffed, to many meetings, lack of communication

June 21, 2021
We're really sorry to hear about your experience at UW Health. We will be sharing your comments with the appropriate people, so that this can be addressed.

Good but work environment could have been better

*Not a bad place to work*Work environment and culture needs improvement*Need better staffing ratios for nurses*Nursing pay is competitive*Good benefits

Pros

Pay, benefits, love what I do, some opportunities to advance

Cons

Staffing ratios, work culture/ environment can vary depending on unit

Patient Scheduling Specialist at the Access Center

You do not get paid enough for the call volume or the additional work that is required for scheduling in our particular department within the Access Center. Too many changes daily creating chaos and nobody knows what's going on. Most of the supervisors here have no scheduling or specific medical experience. UW has now changed the amount of time you get for vacation so new hires get much less now and you bid on vacation based on seniority at the Access Center. Medical benefits are decent and most work from home now because of Covid so that's nice if you like that. Many of my coworkers are hard working pleasant but frustrated people just trying to get through their day. Favoritism runs high here so that's why the low score for Job Security / Advancement / Culture.

Pros

Medical Benefits

Cons

Low pay, favoritism

May 24, 2021
We appreciate you leaving a response. Please reach out to us at 608-263-6500 to discuss this matter further.

Work life balance and state pension

Love the lab here, for the first time ever I have flexibility at a job and the fact that they have a state pension ? That is Basically a no brainer. New hires are getting less vacation though- I’m glad I got in when I did - legacy group gets way more vacation .

Pros

Flexibility, pension

Cons

Have to pay for parking

May 17, 2021
Thank you for sharing your feedback - we're glad to have you on our team.

Large turnover, changes in benefits

In the few years I've worked at UW Health the staff turnover has been constant -people are quitting left and right at both facilities I've worked. The insurance benefits are nice but UW has moved to accrued PTO, which is very little and also counts as your sick time. Raises are extremely minimal, disrespect and bullying most days. After 10 years in Healthcare, UWH has inspired me to get out permanently.

Pros

Health insurance

Cons

Accrued PTO adds up slowly, disrespect

Supervisors are awesome

Just starting but they seem friendly and helpful. Benefits are ok for the foundation but I’d rather have the Uwh benefits instead. Fast paced days. Lots to learn.

Job Security

Your job is definitely secured here due to the amount of employees that leave. No one works as a team. Physicians call all the shots. You have no input in the care of your patient (no matter how hard you try to advocate for them).

April 19, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'd like to learn more about how we can help. Please contact us at 608-263-6500.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UW Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at UW Health.
Powered byComparably