UW Hospital and Clinics Employee Reviews

the most enjoyable part
Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 3, 2018
UW Health has a great deal to offer. As such a large corporation there are many opportunities for change and advancement. I have had great leadership examples for which to model my professional career.
Fun Place to work
Valet Driver (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 21, 2017
Great Place to work sometime it can be stressful constantly learning and receiving on the job training as well. Very diversity enjoy working with patients on daily basis sometimes it is hard to schedule pt if they do not answer their phone
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No overtime is available
Fast-paced, high responsibility job with little room for upward movement
SRT for Surgical Pathology (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 14, 2017
Working for surgical pathology has been a great learning experience to an extent. Unfortunately there is little room for upward movement within the lab unless you are committing a career to them. If you want to go back to school such as pursuing medical school within a few years, they only allow you an entry-level position with minimal pay. They won't allow for moving to a histology position that you are well qualified for if you aren't planning to stay for 10+ years. Despite this, I have made wonderful connections with doctors and I have learned a lot from them. I also love being a part of patient diagnosis in any way I can until I become a doctor.
Fast paced but fun work place
Operating Room Supply Clerk (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 3, 2017
I worked in Central Services at UW Hospital and it was a very fast paced environement, but my coworkers always made it fun. It introduced to what it's like to work in a healthcare facility which I enjoyed. I would definitely recommend working there.
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 15, 2017
Well managed, productive environment. Located in a beautiful area. Everyone is dedicated and hardworking. Individual offices and flexible schedules in a plus.
n/a
Shuttle driver (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 7, 2017
workplace was poorly managed never new one day to the next hours job people you work with or not diffrent day by day not fun at all not the same workplace it was 6-7 year ago
Pros
Excelled in learning medical coding and prompted me to become a coder
Coding Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 10, 2017
I learned quite a lot from this position from the coding staff I worked under. I worked in between the Internal Medicine and Neurology Depts.

Staff was pleasant and offered other educational training to enhance specialties.
Pros
Everything. UW systems is a wonderful place to work
Cons
Fun and professional place to work with great coworkers
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 2, 2017
I worked 3rd shift. Some nights were busy and some were slow but my coworkers were great to work with. Everyone helped eachother out. In this job I grew in patience, inter-personal skills, time management, and organization skills. This job has given me great work experience and I would recommend working here to anyone. My favorite part of the job was getting to work with all different types of people from their age to their diagnosis. I was in the float pool so I went around the whole hospital. I was in a different unit each time I worked, from pediatrics to transplant to the ED.
Great environment for student learners
Radiation Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 19, 2017
Working and interning at UWHC has been a great experience and has helped me grow both academically and professionally. I would definitely suggest this hospital environment for future RT students.
Many opportunities in a large hospital environment.
EEG Technologist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 25, 2017
This is a large level one trauma hospital with a lot of opportunities for many different careers. Challenging patient care jobs and plenty of administrative paths as well.
Pros
Decent health care insurance
Cons
Demanding patient care

Want to know more about UW Hospital and Clinics?

Ask a question
Excellent place to work
Medical Assistant/LPN- Surgery/Urology Clinic (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 13, 2017
Great place to work, learn, and grow. Excellent opportunities to expand and explore in many job careers. Provides you with the necessary teaching that is needed for you to perform your job duties
Pros
Teaching hospital
Cons
Does not except new grads
Great place with amazing benefits
Scheduler Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 26, 2016
This was my first job right after I graduated and I gained so much knowledge and experience there which I am thankful for.
Great place that helps others and teach people how to save lives and how to care for others.
Due to the union barging rights we all lost our jobs but amazing place to work.
Pros
Cons
non-union
A great place to learn and grow.
admissions representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 18, 2016
I very much enjoyed my many years with UW Hospital and Clinics. They gave me the experience needed to further my career and the opportunity to make many lasting friendships.
Pros
Wages, benefits and growth opportunites.
Cons
My commute
Wonderful place to work
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 21, 2015
very friendly with opportunity for advancement. Managers are outgoing and are very willing to help out with any questions or concerns.
Pros
wonderful co-worker
Cons
short or no lunches
Great Place to work
Sterile reprocessing tech (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 27, 2015
put my scrubs on and go into my section sterile reprocessing unit and start my day cleaning equipment. Great coworkers great management. The hardest part of my job was getting backed up due to machine failure. I loved my job
Pros
great medical insurance
Cons
there really are none
busy general med unit
RN Staff Nurse UWHC (Current Employee) –  Madison, WisconsinJuly 8, 2015
I like the varity of my small general med unit, but the most difficult part of my job is dealing with patients with end stage dementia, delerium, they are not able to commuinicate their needs, makes it difficult sometimes to do your job. Coworkers are easy to work with, teaching students is a lot of fun. Would like to be a traveling clinical instructor, go to warm places in the winter. Sick of Wisconsin
Winters
Busy, smaller unit
Health Unit Coordinator-Senior (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 21, 2015
I currently work on a smaller unit with less than 20 employees. We are super busy different days of the week ie MWF (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) and our workload is getting bigger and bigger. It is nice when we have some "downtime" as it can be very chaotic and stressful.

I start at 0700 am until 1530 pm, Monday-Friday, I don't work weekends or holidays.

The good thing is, is that we have closer relationships with our attendings, fellows and residents. We are able to have a little fun no and then with them and that is unheard of in this hospital.

Our patients are regularly scheduled with their units ie MWF or TTS so we get to know them pretty well when they come in for hospital visits.
Pros
Corporate discounts, no weekends or holidays
Cons
Parking isn't included, food is expensive (no sodas served anymore)
Rare find: Part-time with pro-rated benefits
UWHC Scheduler, Objective - APC (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 18, 2015
An overall great place to work. Decent enough pay, but being able to obtain great health insurance working part-time (60%) makes up for any deficiencies in wages.

The new employee training provided by the hospital was helpful; however, I found the departmental training (in 2 different departments) to be lacking in written documention of work processes.

With only a few exceptions, I found my co-workers pleasant to work with. During my UWHC experience, I believe I learned to be a better listener and gleaned better communication skills in an environment where both qualities are important in achieving a quality patient experience and outcome.

I love having an opportunity to be a small part of the fantastic, compassionate care offered to patients who come to UWHC. It is a privilege to be a "bright spot" in the day of someone who is needing a bit of cheer in the midst of physical trials.
Pros
benefits for .60 FTE, free bus passes/shuttle, nice facility
Cons
limited parking, short breaks
Great employer with a lot of possibilities for furthering knowledge and experience
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 8, 2015
I was per diem so I was able to experience what it was like to work in a variety of different units with a wide variety of patients.
Organized work environment
Valet Services (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 31, 2014
Greatly enjoyed working here as a student. Got to pick hours that worked for me and they pay more than they have to for the job. Fairly relaxed but efficient work environment. Can be stressful during busy times but coworkers are held to respectable standards (if someone isn't holding up their end they are reassigned or let go.)
Pros
Decent pay/hours for what it is.
Cons
Can be slow for change to happen through hospital bureaucracy