UW Madison Employee Reviews

great quality of life in Madison
Researcher (Current Employee) –  UW-MadisonApril 6, 2018
The quality of life in Madison is excellent - there are safe and relatively affordable neighborhoods and good public schools in Madison and neighboring communities. UW-Madison is a world-class institution where faculty members are engaged in cutting-edge research and innovative work across disciplines. That said - UW-Madison can be a challenging place to find work for highly educated candidates that are not seeking a faculty position. Well-paying academic staff positions are few and far between and opportunities for advancement are rare. In addition, there can be quite a bit of variability in compensation within a a given job category. Candidates for academic staff positions at UW-Madison should carefully research the university and opportunities for growth and advancement.
Pros
quality of life in Madison
Cons
relatively low pay for academic staff
So Fun and Supportive!
BRAND AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 8, 2017
I worked here for a project which helped young adults suffering from depression and other mental health issues. I had the opportunity to travel and speak from the heart about what I wanted to achieve and how I wanted to help others which was fantastic. If you get as lucky as I did, definitely work here.
Great Place
Business Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 11, 2017
As a student, it was a great position. I was able to manage my homework and balance the work life here. It was a very low key position without a lot of outside work.
Great Campus
Student (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 7, 2017
Awesome place to be. A ton of opportunities to become a part of. Solid classes that push me to be better everyday. Very capable to be a part of extra curricular activities while in classes.
Pros
Classes
Cons
Busy
Great office experience with flexible hours.
Cash Management Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 2, 2017
I have enjoyed my time working for the University of Wisconsin-Madison Union Cash Office. The hours are flexible and the staff is understanding and kind. I am able to get office experience and still find time to excel in my academics.
Good Internship
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 7, 2017
Great place to work with good pay. Multiple departments to work in. Good place to start to find interest. Different environment
Library Services Assistant - Advanced
Library Services Assistant - Advanced (Former Employee) –  College LibraryDecember 18, 2016
Good variety of duties performed daily. For the most part convivial work atmosphere and co-workers. Employees encouraged to put themselves into harms way doing duties which should have been jobbed out the the UW Moving Crew.
Pros
variety of duties
Cons
obvious hierarchy of staff
Awesome place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 6, 2016
It is an amazing place to work and awesome place to live! it was an amazing experience to work along with the under graduate students and help them learn and increase knowledge. Likewise, it was a learning experience for me too.
Expect to just do your job and dont expect recognition for ideas or accomplishments
Admin Program Specialist - Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 13, 2015
WIth changing economic conditions, work has become more centered around budget rather than people. The benefits are excellent and can off set the lack of raises or bonuses.
Pros
Easy going, layed back day, good benefits
Cons
Little opportunity of personal growth and development
Job Work/Life Balance-
Financial Specialist -Senior (Current Employee) –  University of MadisonJuly 13, 2015
I live in Beaver Dam and it is an hour and a half commute. I would like to work close by.
UW is a good place to work , but it is far where I live.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too far from home
Good work experience
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 1, 2015
I had a good boss who was willing to take a chance on me, since I didn't have a whole lot at the time to demonstrate that I was a good candidate.

I learned a lot from my boss, and he let me do my own thing as well. Being able to only go to him when really in a jam was very good for my development as a django programmer. He was a great manager.

Didn't pay much, but hey, it was a grad position.

My boss let me very flexible with my hours when things like finals came along and even when I wanted to go see family.
Pros
flexibility, management, learning
Cons
sort of boring sometimes
Great student employment opportunity!
STUDENT LAB ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 4, 2015
Great student employment looking to work in a relaxed lab setting. Lots of time spent outdoor as well as within the lab. Management personal was wonderful and I loved working with them. Definitely mentors for entrance into professional science world. Obviously, they hire undergraduate students, so there is no benefits. Very flexible hours and understanding to hours shifting.
Poorly utilized, experience will vary with department.
Departmental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 20, 2014
My experience was not positive, though I don't think that it is at all representative of UW as a whole. Supervisors had virtually no organization and hardly made use of the specialized skills I was hired for.
Typical shared office workspace with ability to do homework if work queue was empty.
Tech Support (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 18, 2014
A typical day of work involved opening up the ticketing system and completing any tickets that were possible to complete, while progressing as far as possible on others. If necessary, I would have to set up appointments for later dates and make note of it on the ticket. I learned about thin clients and remotely managing large numbers of computers as well as troubleshooting in Windows and Mac environments. Learned to work with troublesome clients as well. During the third year of the job, my job description also took on building management, so I had to deal with mail, furniture moving, etc. as well as the IT problems from before. This involved quite a bit of database work (keeping track of keys and inventory). The hardest part of the job for me was telling customers that nothing could be done when restrictions were placed upon what we could do. For example, we could only troubleshoot to a certain point when fixing printers before the client had to hire a specialized printer repairman in order to complete the job. The most enjoyable part was the sheer amount of information and experience I was able to take in during the time I worked there.
Pros
Time to work on homework, experience for after graduation
Cons
Between classes, so little to no break during the day (ate lunch at work, so no lunch break)
It's a nice part time job
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  Spooner, WIJune 29, 2013
The Spooner Ag Research Station is a State funded Farm in Spooner, Wisconsin. It does sheep dairy research and crop research.

The station is funded by UW Madison's budget. Often the farm pays for itself with the sheep dairy. It's the only sheep dairy research facility in the United States.

Every year the farm is doing research to increase the milk quality, production, and overall health of the sheep. Often, an intern comes from Madison and does research during the summer.

The job isn't hard, it's a part time job and it's seasonal. It begins around January and ends around October. There are 2 times the sheep have to be milked. Once in the morning and once at night. During the beginning and the end of the season, the sheep get milked once a day. At the end of summer, the sheep go into a period called lambing where they don't get milked and they give birth to lambs. The sheep get milked every day even on weekends and the job is roughly 3 hours long from start to finish.

The management isn't too bad. There are often visitors coming from all over the world to visit and observe the sheep dairy process.
Pros
The job is relatively easy
Cons
It's part time
Stable work place.
State of WI Physical Plant Custodian (Former Employee) –  Maintence and Janitoral ServiceFebruary 14, 2013
Constant work on a daily basis. Janitorial work in UW buildings.
Pros
40 hour work week.
Cons
little or no overtime.
honest company with great management
Phlebotomist/MA2 (Current Employee) –  Beaver Dam, WIJune 25, 2012
UW Madison is a great company to work for. The management is one the best I have had the pleasure to work for. Always there to hanswer questions and give feedback. They always lend a helping hand when needed. And most of all value the employee's opinions.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no advancement opportunities within my department