UWM

United States486 reviews

mortgageunderwritershoreunderwriteunitedloancultperk

Endless Opportunity

Featured review

UWM selected this as a representative review
This company has transformed my life. I came in at an entry level position and now lead 5 teams. As long as you have a strong work ethic, you can do anything here. Prior experience is great but the company would rather work with those that want to achieve and train you along the way. If you are ever thinking about taking the chance, just do it. You will not be disappointed.

Training wheel company

UWM is a great company to gain professional entry level experience in the corporate setting.If you are considering working at UWM, understand that for the majority of the positions, you will be underpaid in comparison to other companies in the industry. Outside of pay, there is a big push for positivity. All of the amenities are nice but there is a lot of fluff to make the company appear more appealing. The fact that there is such a massive push and emphasis on positivity honestly speaks for itself. With this being said, UWM is great for entry level experience. You learn generally everything you need to learn in order to take your experience elsewhere.

UWM insights

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Okay place to start your career.

The company tries to have the perks and different amenities like: ping pong tables, arcade rooms, and bringing famous motivational speakers to make up for the lack of compensation, PTO, and work life balance. Get your experience and leave in my opinion.

Geared towards the young with lots of benefits but not much time to take advantage of them

Underwriting is very stressful. Expected to hit a daily commitment while fighting to find loans to work. Chained to your phone all day. Upper management does not understand the struggles.

Good internships

This place was to complete an internship. You will be exposed to many different situations. Their training teams are ranked nationally and they get excited to see growth in you. There are ample opportunities to move up or to different roles in the company.

Family company sadly gone corporate

The company offers employees some of the best benefits in the market, is involved in the community and offers entry-level training. The process and procedures however do not support a healthy work environment. It is often unnecessarily stressful and often not transparent/honest. The people you work with day to day will probably be great though.

"we are family" = RUN

Training is top notch. Take full advantage and plan your next move immediately. ZERO work life balance. ZERO support from team leads/management as they get direction from VPS who are detached to actually working with brokers.

Pros

Training.

Cons

no work life balance. If someone is sick around you, plan on being sick later in the week

OK overall

Overall, I enjoyed my experience at UWM in that I like the aesthetics of the environment and the type of work I did.Ineffective team leadership made things difficult. Being underpaid for the work was no fun either. When I learned that they tried to fire a team member because a team leader thought the person didn't smile enough, I left. The team member was always helpful and polite and produced excellent work. Being able to dress down helped. Having a Starbucks, smoothie stand, and gym onsight was great. Members of C-Suite leadership are approachable and that was always a plus. Still, team leaders can make or break the experience there, but overall I enjoyed my experience with this company. I believe in it's vision and I like how they help the community.

post close department was a pleasure to be apart of

My time spent at United Wholesale Mortgage was critical in gaining the necessary knowledge of the mortgage industry and helped build my critical thinking as well as collaborative skills. Being on the Black Panthers team was an exciting experience as well as we each helped motivate one another to hit our commitment of loans on mortgages.

Lowkey Subpar

Honestly , working at UWM was great at first but there’s a saying about “drinking the koolaid” there is a UWM culture that masks everything else. Now for some people this job is really great when you don’t have outside responsibilities or a life. There are always so many changes , you usually end up having to do extra/more work but the pay does not go up with that as well. And hearing that your ceo gives away money and sponsors all of these other people/places but your pay is still bare minimum is a very hard pill to swallow when we do all the work to keep the company “great”.

Terrible

I don’t have the energy anymore. You’ll have to see for yourself how toxic this place really is. Managers promised that are part of the boys club not actual leaders. Gas lighting at every corner to make you afraid to leave or know anyone who does.

Pros

Fast growth

Cons

Low pay, mental abuse, CULTure

Pay is terrible

They pay terribly. & you have to “drink the koolaid” and play in to all the fake bullsh*t. People higher up will act like they care but really it’s just a lot of fake. My manager is great. But most aren’t so lucky. Especially in Closing.

Not what it seems

Everything is not what it appears. Most departments are ran like a high school full of "cliques". Getting promoted is hard unless you're in the "in" crowd.

Ok

Not bad place to work. It is in Pontiac. Open air office. There was pizza at times. It was good. The software was good. There was a gym too. It has a big basketball court.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Nope

Fun place to work, but....

UWM is a fun place to work at because of the people. However, don't get tricked into management saying theres room for growth. I have seen people coming in with a promise of being able to move to a desired position after 6 months but are still where they're at. Pay is terribly low. They don't care if you have a bachelor either. You're lucky if you have a good team lead who's willing to help you succeed, but thats really it.

Underpaid and over cliqued

You’ll hear it time and again about this place. It’s high school all over again. There’s an “in” crowd and an “out” crowd. And if you’re not exactly who they want you to be: peppy, social, excited all the time, and ‘all in’, then you’re on the outside and not welcome. Their qualifications for a leadership position are just that: peppy and social. No need for actual leadership qualities like how to motivate and lead a team. And those leaders will drive you to the ground with a smile on their face. They’ll reprimand you for not meeting the minimum standards, when they don’t even provide enough work for the minimum standard. I found the job to be so stressful that my eye was twitching for a whole month and I still get anxiety thinking about this place. But, hey! They have an in house Starbucks, cafe, and over priced restaurants that you have to pay for but they’ll tell you it’s part of your benefits of working here! I still wonder how much they’re paying to win all these “best workplaces” awards.

Trash

-Culture is a manufactured farce. -Management is incompetent. Somehow, I was being coached for not being a team player and when I provided documentation of all the team projects I completed and was currently working on I was seen as disrespectful. -No consistent flexibility. Some people can work from home others cannot. -It's a cult with a gym.

Bad Pay Structure

Generally speaking, don't expect to be paid well at UWM. Most of their hiring campaigns focus on fresh college graduates because they prefer to pay just above market price for no experience, then never give more than 2% raise, if you're lucky. By the third year in, you'll effectively make less than when you started due to inflation rates and if you ask for a cost-of-living raise, they'll gaslight you into thinking all other companies will never pay you as well. In reality, though, after a few years experience, most other companies will pay 30%-50% more than UWM will ever consider paying, and it you leave, they'll wish you luck and hire a new fresh graduate to start the cycle over.

Horrible place to work

"Be you here" as long as that is who we want you to be. They preach work life balance but give you great amounts of flack if you actually have a life outside of work. If you don't fall in line and become a company robot they don't want you there. Cramming 700+ people into an auditorium during the latter part of the pandemic for "mandatory training" that was just people talking about how great their departments are, with no mask mandates, while requiring everyone to work in the office every day as Covid ran rampant through the office showed just how much they care about their employees. All in all, the worst company I've ever worked for.

Thin the herd

They bring in 200+ people at a time. You are told that you will get all the help you need. Then you are thrown out on the floor only a few people actually make it.

Pros

I felt like I was back at school again

Cons

I never got a chance to get to the floor

Overworked and underpaid

This company has had it's ups and downs and since 2018 it's been nothing but down hill. They claim they care about the people who work there and do a really good job at creating that façade. There is very low chance that your leader will step up on your behalf. Most of the time they would rather not rock the boat even if it's at your expense. I was let go for unjust reasons and since it's MI they don't have to give you one.

Common questions about UWM

Answered by current and former employees at UWM

Ask a question about working or interviewing at UWM. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.6Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare UWM with

• UWM
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?