UWM
Happiness rating is 46 out of 100

UWM Employee Reviews

Featured review
UWM selected this as a representative review
This employer elected to publish survey results gathered via Indeed Insider. The survey results included this review. The employer has indicated that the reviewer was a current employee at the time this review was written.
Th company does an amazing job of bringing folks on and preparing them to succeed within the company. Whether starting with no mortgage experience or as an experienced professional, there is a wealth of opportunities for you yo come in and advance. Personally, I came in with no knowledge prior and have been able to drastically improve my quality of life working here. No matter your role, there is always something new to learn and keep you feeling actively challenged.
Wouldn't recommend. Underwriting is a stressful job made worse by the companies insistence on adding more to your workload with quizzes, constant webinars, constant meetings, and all sort of different things to detract from doing your job as an underwriter. Every single key stroke is tracked, the micromanagement is absolutely overkill.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Too many quizzes, too much micromanagement
The only good thing that I have to say about UWM is that they will hire you without any mortgage experience whatsoever; so if you can put up with the stress, micromanagement, horrible hours and even worse pay, then you can use the knowledge and experience that you gain to find a MUCH better job, as just about every other company in the industry pays considerably better than what UWM pays its employees. Terrible place to work
Pros
You gain valuable mortgage experience
Cons
Everything else
I Enjoy the company. Just wish they would give current team members that show interest in a different positions more of a chance to achieve that. You have to stay at your current role for 9months before being considered for another role. The company does give off clique vibes and can sometimes feel like you are not part of the team. There is favoritism with in Team Leads that you can definitely feel. For a company that takes pride in telling their team members BE YOU, it doesn’t feel like it when they’re holding you back from being successful in the company. Not to mention the fact that you are forced to use your PTO whenever you have any type of absence from work. Whether it be an emergency or being sick. Once that 80 hours is gone it’s gone. They should at least offer a couple sick days for those situations.
Pros
Cafe, shuttles, raffles, bonuses, benefits, Referrals bonus program
Cons
Favoritism, No Sick Days, Expensive food prices
There are a lot of great things about working at UWM, however there are also several undesirable traits about the company. Mainly, lending support area management. Those in charge don't really know what they're doing but put on a good face. Or they do know what they're doing and sacrifice the "people are our greatest asset" bit the company loves to make known as their number one priority. The CEO probably stands by this but those managing below him definitely do not. There is gossip constantly, swearing from upper management to lower management about how they can't do things proper, and upper management is really great at gaslighting other leaders and team members. I realize this is not everyone's experience and that's good. I would certainly hope it isn't. But the fact that one person (or more from what I've gathered) has or have had this experience is disheartening and outright unacceptable from any company. I highly suggest UWM rethink their choices for management in that they not only get the job done numbers-wise but also continue to uphold the values the company says they hold so dearly. The pay for specialists in many departments is also rather poor, especially considering some of the utter disrespect some have to deal with. It's rather insulting. And to have some management voice that specialists should be grateful they get paid what they are as "(fast food joint) employees deserve more" is very eye-opening in that these particular individuals do not respect the staff at their job nor the staff at fast food joints. All in all, stay out of lending support and you'll probably - more...
Pros
Diet inclusive on site food options
Cons
Management, pay at many department levels, mandatory overtime
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
UWM touts itself as one of the best employers out there. The benefits are good, and it seems like a nice, fun place to work. After a while though, I came to realize that UWM is all about the numbers. Do not believe them when they say no mandatory overtime. While this is TECHNICALLY true, they have this thing called "Late Nights". During those nights, usually Tuesday and Thursday, you're asked to stay an extra two hours. While not mandatory, it's "strongly encouraged" , and if you don't want to do it you have to send an email to every team lead in your department, usually resulting in the majority of the leads treating you differently. When it came to the pandemic UWM handled it especially poorly. They did end up letting us work from home but when a person's numbers dipped for even a day they were forced to come back into the office immediately. I was let go from my position due to my inability to return to office due to being immunocompromised. In short, a lot of the people are nice, and I enjoyed my time working with them but the management and anyone higher than your team leader do not care about you. They care about numbers.
Pros
Inclusive, good food at cafe, good Christmas party every year
Cons
Clique-y, Uncaring
This is the best place to work! I have never found a better company to work for! I would refer anyone to work with UWM and feel like this is the best place to work in America.
This company is a misery machine masked as a mortgage mill. You will be miserable if you work here. Your supervisors and upper management will never be satisfied, and will always find something to fault you for. If you enjoy making the CEO and his mortgage broker cronies rich at the expense of your mental health, sign right up.
Pros
Got a pulse? You're hired
Cons
Everything imaginable
They do not pay you for the amount of work you do. I was making 16 an hour doing multiple jobs for the company. New hires were getting hired in for the same position at 19 dollars and they never gave the people that have been there for a year or longer more than a .40 cent raise...they will work you and not treat you like a person. You are a number here. It’s great for experience and knowledge but not a company I would say you would want to have a career with. They do not compensate their employees compared to any other mortgage job. (We all know they have the money to do so). If you are sick the VP makes you feel bad about it. Work comes before you and your health and if you make any mistake you are put on a list and punished.
Pros
Knowledge and training
Cons
Compensation, you are a # not a person
Great culture great people. You can be yourself here. Many opportunities to grow. Recommended to anyone looking to have a great career. Awesome campus.
Great company, family culture and encouragement for a strong growth track for all team members. The expansive growth presents great opportunity and challenges to work through that provide for an exciting work environment. Great leaders, and even better teams!
I love working at UWM. I have been here 9 years and could not even think about working anywhere else. The culture here is unmatched and UWM really makes you feel appreciated.
Best place to work in the world where you can be yourself and accomplish your goals. Many different opportunities for everyone. Give an honest effort and you will be recognized and rewarded. We also get to work in a world class facility with many perks and benefits.
This company was horrible. They don't care about their employees at all. You are just a number to them. They say the culture is about family however during the pandemic they would try and force employees to come into the office to work even though there were several cases in the office. Production was all the matters to them. They will move you up with no training. Not sure how this company ever made the Great Place to Work list.
Pros
Great campus
Cons
Pay, Training, Culture
UWM is the best company I have ever worked for & I intend to retire here at UWM. I have worked at several Mortgage companies & none of them compare to the culture/ environment UWM has to offer
I've been with the company over 5 years. I've seen it grow exponentially past 5 years. However, I would say we have not lost the company value even through the growth. Still love the people i work with after >5 years. Still love the work I do
UWM is one of the most challenging places I've ever worked - in the very best way. I learn something new every day, I am constantly challenged to get better, and I know that the work I do makes a difference. This place isn't for everyone. But for the RIGHT people, it is AMAZING. Work hard, get better, ask for feedback, keep grinding.
The culture is phenomenal. I have worked here for more than 5 years and there is always acts of kindness. My typical day in my role consists of managing to reports, but also walking the floor to speak with my indirect reports as well as staying in a collaborative environment with my direct reports and colleagues. The hardest part of the role, many will find is being sufficient with your time management and multi-tasking. The best part of the job is the relationships you build internally and externally. I also really enjoy the level of problem solving skills this takes. I feel fulfilled in my role and most of my talents are utilized.
I have worked at many companies, but none with a CEO quite like ours. As an Account Executive the path can be tough, but with hard work and a great attitude it is very rewarding. The reason I love what I do boils down to our CEO and our Leadership Team. Everyone works hard every day and gets better everyday. No one is above anyone else. Our CEO comes in every day and works hard every day, our CMO comes in and works hard every day, our VP of Sales comes in and works hard every day. Who wants to work for someone who comes in 1 time a week or doesn't work hard. We all work hard and we all are rewarded for our efforts and I get to go home on the weekends and spend time with my family.
UWM has exceeded my expectations and is the best place I've worked in my professional career. The family atmosphere is REAL, the opportunity is REAL, everything is REAL. The CEO Mat told the entire company that no one would be laid off when the pandemic started and he kept his word. On top of that, he still paid everyone their bonuses even though the pandemic hindered us from reaching some of our company goals. This is an amazing opportunity and you will not be disappointed if you apply.
UWM is the best place I've ever worked. The people, culture, business model, benefits, amenities, and opportunity are some of the reasons I really enjoy being here.
  1. Employee Reviews