Vacasa Employee Reviews

Great place, have fun while you work
General Manager (Current Employee) –  OregonDecember 16, 2018
Great place to work if you want to work.
The biggest problem is finding people that actually want to work, if you are slow at cleaning and can't take direction don't work here.
Great appreciation from management for a job well done.
Advancement opportunities.
Pros
Insurance, vacations, great managers
Cons
Sometimes short staffed
Rapidly declining place to work...proceed at your own risk
Mid-Level Employee (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 31, 2018
Vacasa started out as a relatively positive place to work. The staff was mostly distributed, people were hired and promoted within the company as it grew, and while pay was always on the low end, the other perks and flexibility mostly balanced everything out.

Now instead of continuing to promote from within, there has been a shift towards bringing in new upper-level managers, and it's been sliding steadily and quickly downhill ever since.

Most efforts now go towards growth at any cost. All of the new deals and contracts are slammed through at a permanent rush pace which leads to unbelievably sloppy and inaccurate online listings, not to mention rampant employee burn-out. EVERYTHING this company does now is about the CEO's IPO dream and a desire for the highest property count of any vacation rental company.

And when you are overwhelmed with your unreasonable workload, you are told that "change is necessary", that you need to just get everything done, get over it, and basically, if you don't like it, you can leave. That is seriously the attitude at Vacasa. I have never seen a company less concerned with having fulfilled, loyal, and supported-feeling employees.

If you're looking for a first job, Vacasa might be okay for a year or so, but beware thinking that this kind of environment is normal. Trust me, it's not.

And yeah, the CEO definitely asked employees to post positive job reviews on sites like this. In one meeting, he literally said that if we couldn't hire because of bad reviews, everyone would be more overworked in the busy season. I'm also pretty sure
  more... he thought there was nothing ethically wrong with his request.

If you're considering applying for a job here, take warning. If you already work here, I'm sorry for what you're probably dealing with on a daily basis.
Pros
There is flexibility with some positions, they pay basic healthcare 100%, some really nice and capable people work here
Cons
Everything else, but mostly low pay, unrealistic workload, unchecked nepotism, fad surfing passed off as "change management", and lack of ethical/empathetic management
Growing, Innovative Company
Senior Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Pigeon Forge, TNOctober 26, 2018
Pretty great place, feels like family even in a company so big.Huge and growing company, plenty of room for opportunities. 10/10 would recommend Vacasa!
Pros
growth, opportunities, compensation
Cons
nothing
Good part time job
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 25, 2018
A part-time job with good pay and good work environment. Hours available but you must be able to drive a distance if you aren't living in the city. Cleaning to pristine in a timely manner every clean.
growing too quickly
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 24, 2018
The company is growing too quickly for its own good. They can not expect the employees to keep up with the workload they are putting on them. They need to hire more agents and keep their word on job titles and responsibilities.
Pros
great benefits, fair compensation
Cons
too much work, too little employees
Horrible management, hours given to family favortism all over the board
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  McHenry, MDOctober 23, 2018
I have never worked for a company that was so unorganized and unprofessional. My lom was absolutely horrible. Hours were given until you speak up about issues than he gives them to others to punish you. Would not recommend this job to anyone in Garrett county! You can speak to any employee and they will all tell you exactly how he is!
Pros
Decent pay, cell phone
Cons
work life balance is not part of this company
(Local Operations Manager) (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 23, 2018
The higher ups do not respect the local managers. The local managers and their bosses do understand the challenges at the local level. During "peak" season you work you tail off. I needed more help and was challenged with wanting that. Like work balance is NOT there during the "peak" season!
Pros
pay was good
Cons
not enough help at the local level
Horrible Management
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  United StatesOctober 23, 2018
They pretend they have a very team work attitude. You will find out very fast that it is more like clicks. And if you don’t fit in, no matter how well you do your job you will be gone. Human Resources will not help you and makes decisions to let people go with out investigations. Vacasa is not interested in new ideas. If you have any, keep them to yourself. They refuse to pay mileage. They claim you must claim mileage or time. They do not consider your time driving from job to job as working. Sometimes I would put 100 miles a day on my vehicle doing Vacasa business and would not get a dime for it. They do give you an apple se phone with one gig data on it and expect you to do a months worth of work with one gig. To put in perspective, downloading one movie takes at least 4 gig. So be prepared to use your own phone and up the data plan you currently have. Depending on your job, they ask you to be on call 24/7 but do not pay for you to be on call. The hourly pay is not bad until you figure in all of the expenses you will have just to be employed there. Management has very little training. Actually the entire time employee I don’t think my manager went to any kind of training. And don’t plan on getting any training yourself. You are put on the job and that’s it. With all of the options available these days for work I recommend trying anywhere else first. And if nothing else is available I would still not accept employment with this company. Don’t just take my word for it. Look at the many many other ratings. Vacasa has some of the lowest scores out there. Good luck with your search.
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Too many to list
Poor management constant change
General Manager (Former Employee) –  CAOctober 22, 2018
Company doesn't believe in developing who they have and strengthen their staff. Only to find fault and redo their entire staff at least twice a year. Please do not work for this company. The corporate staff Only watches out for their backs/promotion and no one else. There is also a inner circle that gets away with everything.
Inconsistent and No Recognition
Guest Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 20, 2018
When I began working for Vacasa it was the perfect fit, as they only hired remote employees and I had years of experience in the operations of the industry. Through the years of my employment I witnessed tremendous growth and constant changes in every aspect of the company. However, certain processes/procedures, or lack there of, remained stagnant. Such as communication. With an ever changing environment and remote employees, consistent and strong communication is absolutely detrimental to their success and in this area Vacasa is severely failing. For example, I paid for my own internet the entire 4 1/2 years and used my own computer for nearly 4. Just previous to my termination did I find out in a chat, not at all directed toward me, that Vacasa was paying the internet bill of remote employees. Of course the employee had to submit a reimbursement form in order to get it, so only new hires were provided this info and able to act on it. Due to the rapid growth there were a couple poorly staffed years, that resulted in constant mandatory overtime and a long period of PTO Blackout. For the first 3 or 4 years, I was a dedicated employee, always looking for opportunities for improvement and actively working towards advancement. This proved to be difficult, with the high turn-over rate of employees at Vacasa, including Team Leads and Directors. Not once, but twice, I had successfully met the expectations provided by the current Director (the second instance was the Team Lead) and come to find out there was no record of any 'advancement plan' for me. At one point in  more... time, Vacasa tried to implement a recognition program. I was the employee that received the gift certificate for maintaining the 'Highest Productivity'. I was the one selected to go home early on a holiday, because I had taken far more calls then anyone else. Those are just a couple examples of my aptitude for the position, but none of which was ever documented and no advancement. Due to health issues and hardships in my personal life, my attendance suffered in the last year of employment. During that time the upper management in place, whom I'd never previously had any interaction with, decided they could finally, consistently, keep record and follow through. Nobody could commit to keeping record of all the positive contributions over the years, or negative for that matter, because I had no previous warnings of any kind. There was never anything negative in nature noted in my Performance Reviews, which were conducted weekly by my Team Lead(s). In the matter of a couple weeks, upper management proved totally capable of putting in place a termination plan and uncharacteristic of Vacasa, was able to implement it to the fullest.  less
Pros
Remote Position, Somewhat Flexible Scheduling
Cons
Structure/Organization and Communication is Basic at best. Job Security!
Keep the buzzwords coming
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 18, 2018
A typical day at Vacasa is figuring why you are blocked. This won't be your fault, but you will receive the blame. The founder is ALWAYS looking for ways to not pay engineers their worth.

Now the company is adding even more layers of complexity. How many ways can you be marked down?

The management is afraid of the CEO. They are mostly spineless and the CEO will comb through giving you performance reviews. Yes. He will adjust your salary because he doesn't like what he sees.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that so much valuable talent is wasting away. The only value of the engineering department to the CEO is if you have memorized the latest tech buzzwords
Pros
Coffee
Cons
Cto, Pay, Job Security
Productive. Great Team
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Killington, VTOctober 16, 2018
My co worker’s are very helpful, manager is always available to text or ask questions if have any. I get to see different houses all the time and learn new things!
Never dull, you always stay moving
Great Stepping Stone
Integration Specialist and HR Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 4, 2018
This is a great place to gain experience and apply knowledge. They give you the leeway to start projects and follow them start to finish. Easy place to build a portfolio.
Pros
free insurance, snacks, barista, beautiful building/rooftap
Cons
low pay, no job security
Wonderful company
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Lincoln City, ORSeptember 28, 2018
This company is one of the best I have worked for. I fully enjoyed the mix of team spirit and individual accountability. You definitely have to be able to self manage a lot because this branch has a lot of rental homes and stays VERY busy.
Good people, Good job
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 24, 2018
with this job you had to work fast because you have a deadline of when the house needs to be cleaned by, the managers do a good job of making sure you are not overwhelmed by the size of the house you are cleaning and the employees are willing to help each other out when someone is struggling.
Pros
work at own pace
Cons
wont be a good worker if you work slow
Awful
Contract cleaner (Former Employee) –  Sevierville tnSeptember 17, 2018
Lol did not respond to homes issues. Contractors were the outcasts. Horrible management. Pay was very inconsistent. Was left for 3 months without pay.
Fun place to work
House Cleaning Technician (Former Employee) –  Seaside, ORSeptember 5, 2018
Loved working here! The experience I had was amazing. The views I had on the beach were breathtaking. Some of the properties were a bit stressful to clean but it was worth it in the end.
Pros
beach views, good pay, great communication
Cons
stressful cleans
Don’t Dare to Be Different
Local Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Rather not SaySeptember 3, 2018
Worst work place. Terrible upper management. Over worked and underpaid. Extreme favoritism. The position was suddenly “disolved” at the start of the summer season, as another person was hired for the same postition.
Pros
Mac book and IPhone
Cons
All of the stated above.
Not recommending
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 24, 2018
Vacasa is all-hype, all-promises no execution. They say they offer all these amazing things but when it comes to the things that matter - promotions, fair wages, they lack commitment.
The corporate office is a nice place and all, but field teams and field managers are extremely overworked. We are expected to maintain homes, manage dispersed teams, and handle relationships with clients (both owners and guests alike), and then we still have to do all this admin work.
My manager is great, job culture is fine, salaries are nothing. The flexibility is a great selling point.
Great Company
Property Management Local Operation Manager (Current Employee) –  Palm Springs, CAAugust 22, 2018
The company was a solid place to work and I learned a lot about the management side of the work force, the good and the bad. I wish upper management was more involved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vacasa. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Vacasa.

Powered by Comparably