Vail Health Employee Reviews

Be Careful when considering a position here.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJune 19, 2018
Be very careful when considering a position at Vail Health formally Vail Valley Medical Center. They use many many travelers and seasonal employees due to high cost of living and the culture of the hospital and area. When you come in the employees seem kind but if you have experience and they feel threatened you may as well pack your bags. They talk about root cause analysis and Just Culture but if you don’t see things eye to eye the Just Culture and RCA is ignored and you will find yourself in front of an HR representative with your walking papers. They provide housing for seasonal and travelers which sounds great but the real reason is it is necessary in order meet staffing needs of the hospital secondary to the horrible culture and high cost of living. As an example of the kind of culture that exist at Vail Health-Never take a vebal order here as it puts you at major risk- if the physician doesn’t like you or the other nurses get word of even a near miss the under current takes hold and your in front of HR. If the physician says give a Hydro 5/325 and writes Norco 5/325 or says give a Oxy 5 but writes for Percocet prepare yourself to be in front of HR....You will here from one of your other nurses your working with- “that’s not what he said”. Within 5 minutes you will suddenly start seeing managers, HR reps, witness private conversations and whispering around corners and their not talking about RCA or Just Culture. Beware of this place. You have to consider that Vail is one of the most expensive places to live in the US and world and this population is can be  more... very demanding and the employees who are trying to “fit the mold” may be very taxed financially to live in the area including West Vail therefore translate that misery to others especially in the workplace and around town. The nurses constantly are stirring drama with one another and there is a tangible under- current of distrust. Just be careful if you decide to work at Vail Health. The Valley is very isolated with many other hospital opportunities in Summit County, Leadville, Salida, Gleanwood springs and even Aspen which do not share the same cut throat culture and offer the same rate of pay or more.  less
Pros
Expensive skiing and snowboarding
Cons
Uptight people and culture, very very expensive, town is isolated in mind body and soul.
fun work place
Concierge (Former Employee) –  Vail, COApril 27, 2018
Meet many people and learned a lot about medical. Was able to learn a lot about knees and hips were people all around the world came to get repaired and get therapy
Great experience
OR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Vail, COFebruary 25, 2018
I would work there again but the area is very expensive to live in. I could barely pay my bills while I made pretty good money. Transportation and parking is ridiculously expensive and hard to find. Which makes it really hard to get to work on time and even find parking. Bus routes dont run on a hospital workers schedules either. Not reliable enough
friendly, joy-filled, supportive workplace
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vail, COOctober 29, 2017
The Vail Valley system provided great support and up-beat working conditions. The tools necessary for success were readily available and offered enthusiastically.
Loved working there the short time I was there.
Admissions Tech (Former Employee) –  Eagle, COOctober 2, 2017
Nice place to work. It was a small 2 doctor satellite office for the hospital and we took walk-ins in addition to regularly scheduled appointments. Dealt with emergencies as well but loved the challenges it could present.
Pros
It was walking distance from home.
Fair and enjoyable to work for
Admission Representative, Insurance Verification (Current Employee) –  Vail, COSeptember 5, 2017
Work can be stressful but for the most part a good place to work. Pay should be more for the amount it costs to stay in the area. Workplace culture is good with a great workstaff.
Pros
Great people and a small bonus once a yr. Free buss pass
Job security is unpredictable
FT Sole Infection Preventionist (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJune 28, 2017
Great people to work with - all peers very collegial; work was fun; location was fantastic; services for a mountain hospital were unexpected; leadership needs work do not have confidence of workers.
Its a job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Vail, COApril 15, 2017
day consisted or 12 hours shifts, dealing with security and safety concerns of the Hospital and out lying clinics and buildings. Employees friendly and caring
Pros
Employees
Cons
Treatment by upper management
Be aware management is horrible
Surgery Technician (Former Employee) –  Vail, COApril 12, 2017
Management is not truthful no one there is happy. Horrific place to work. Good luck finding housing at a decent price! I would never ever work there again. The skiing is good, best thing about this so-called hospital . More like payton place lol
Pros
Some staff are knowledgeable
great place to ski
Seasonal Acute Care RN (Former Employee) –  Vail, COApril 10, 2017
this place is exactly how you would expect it to be. good OR, good ED, and 1 acute care ward. 80% of pts are surgical and 80% of those pts are orthopedic. no surprises here.
Great benefits and job culture
Cash Poster specialist (Current Employee) –  Vail, COJanuary 11, 2017
My typical day at work is fast paced, it provides lots of opportunities for growth. I work in a team to get the job done. however, there are lots of breaks to socialize and rest before going back to work again.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Not a kind work environment
Direct Patient Care (Former Employee) –  VVMCSeptember 19, 2016
Loved working with the patients. Most were educated and with few comorbidities. The direct patient care staff were mostly good people to work with. But management is the worst. No support of their staff, if staff has suggestions.... Look out! Watch your back! Terrible working experience. The only staff that stays at the hospital are the people can't leave the area.
Pros
Great patients
Cons
Management the worst ! Too expensive to live in the area
Beautiful Area for a Hospital Location
Manager (Former Employee) –  Vail, COAugust 30, 2016
Beautiful Area and very supportive front line staff.
Benefits are fair in comparison to other facilities. The Board and Administration is only worried about the dollar. They do not support or value staff.
Pros
Front Line staff is friendly and very caring
Cons
Administration does not support or value frontline staff
Good work enviroment with great versity in cases at Vail Valley Medical Center
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Vail, ColoradoSeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed all the staff I worked with and would go back to Colorado to work if I don't find a job here in Arizona. I enjoyed the cases I got to do and I enjoyed the shift I worked. This is a 4 unit OR department that kept busy on most days and It was a great place to learn new surgeries that I didn't know before.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Weather not the best at times
Ski town
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJune 6, 2015
A great place to work. There is a good cohesion of co-workers and management does listen. It is in a beautiful setting. It can get a little tedious for the hard core critical care RN, as this is a small hospital
Pros
good pay, nice area, good benefits
Cons
housing is expensive in the community
Snow blind
clinical support (Former Employee) –  clinical supportApril 19, 2015
Management and board do not understand the modern culture of medical care. They cater to the wealthy and forget about the employees that take care of those wealthy patients. Yes this is a very specialized facility with world class orthopedics but the arrogance of the CEO and board make it just another small city medical center.....would never go back to work there!
Provided great experience for in hospital care.
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Vail, COOctober 27, 2014
Great season for orthopedic trauma! Saw amazing cases and got to see Steadman-Hawkins operate in person.
Beware of awful micro-managers
RN (Former Employee) –  Employee healthNovember 14, 2013
I was recruited here from a great job in another state. After 3 months I was forced to resign; manager of Employee Health was a monster! Very controlling and a total micromanager. I did find a job with nice people in a nearby town. My time at Vail was a nightmare though. BEWARE of taking a job here. Commuting to work in Winter snowstorms is not fun either. It is also way too expensive to live in this town.
Pros
Pretty town in Summertime
Cons
Unpleasant working environment.
Great Place
Care Tech/Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJuly 11, 2013
Everything about working here was amazing, the pay, people, location, support and atmosphere.
Great experience in life and career.
CST (Former Employee) –  Vail, COJune 22, 2013
When it comes to sports medicine you learn from the best. They work on a lot of Olympic athletes, pro athletes, college athletes. When it comes to life lessons Vail teaches you a lot. The mountains challenge you every day. I loved it but one thing the mountains don't do for me. My family was not near and seeing them once a year is not good enough for me.
Pros
learn a lot and from the best
Cons
winters is like boot camp, you work long hours and do alot of over time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vail Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Vail Health Reviews by Location