Vail Resorts
64Average

Vail Resorts Employee Reviews

United States1,362 reviews
Found 1,362 reviews matching the search
Advancement potential comes at a cost
While there is good advancement potential they ask a lot of managers. Finding staff is always an issue and this leads to issues with work/life balance. The continued centralization of corporate functions is taking away support and asking more & more of already overworked operational managers.
Unsupportive Management
This company did not vamue longevity of employees. It tried to push you out after you'd been there a while with bogus "disciplinary " reports that were subjective and based on lies. If you want me to quit, just say so.
Worst company ever
Low wages no management only worked there for the ski pass and that sucked too long....……zvhjjvvfhbbhhghhhhhhfghhdsdghjhhhnbhhhhhhbbbbbhnjjjjjjhuujjbbhh
Exciting job with great perks
My experience with this company, whether it applied only to my Park City location or not, was AMAZING. I never thought I would be upset leaving a job until now. My position as a ticket scanner had reasonable pay to the work that was being done, so I was satisfied. However, I will say that their "base pay" system, which starts most entry-level Vail Resorts employees, despite their position and job title, with the same earnings was a bit confusing. Working with Lift Operators and knowing I was being paid the same, if not more, as a Ticket Scanner, left me feeling a little bit guilty, considering I did less than half the work that they were doing. Besides that, you can expect a professional and friendly management team who respect you as more than just an employee. In fact, I was able to create and expand friendships outside of my own department and management because you work so closely with other departments on a daily basis. There are expectations of a certain level of professionalism, which is to be expected, but it never felt too uptight or pressured. Just keep your zippers zipped! The employee discounts were incredible, especially if you've seen ski resort prices. Not to mention, you get a free season's pass that's valued at nearly $1000, which I was more than happy to avoid forking out this year. Fortunately, if you're not interested in standing outside during blizzards and snowstorms, there are plenty of other positions in the restaurants, ticket offices, retail stores, and Vail-owned hotels that offer the same perks-including the ski pass! When it all comes down to it, - more...
Must love to work as a team.
As a worker you must enjoy all that the resort has to offer you. Treat each day as it is different and changing constantly. Your interaction with guest and staff shape the out come of your employment.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
The company that only cares for itself
It doesn’t matter how much you sacrifice or how loyal you are. Vail only cares about itself and refuses to look out for its management staff. They have downsized so many of their support staff and named it “centralizing in Brookfield”. This means you may get hired as a manager but you will also be marketing, HR, and finance as those places were all “centralized”

It’s not worth your time. trust me.
Good
excellent cultural and work experience, ideal for young people with a predisposed spirit
Pros
Vail Resorts do not care about employees; they care about money!
I moved to the mountains for a fun season, of skiing. Although, I am happy I was able to spend my days skiing and teaching, I will not be working for this company again. Vail Resorts is does not care about their employees at all, they care only about money!
1. employee housing is far away from the mountain and very run down. The apartments are also over-packed and not cheaper than most apartments around the area. I lived in a four bedroom 2 bath apartment with 5 random girls and my room was tinier than any dorm I had in college for me and my roommate.

2. They pay employees next to nothing. You make around $12 an hour. Let me tell you what a private lesson costs for the client: $1,250 and the ski instructor makes about $120 on the day, if lucky. If the client does not tip, the employee would be better off having a class of kids than the private lesson. Even though that lesson is more profitable for the resort. The resort makes so much off of these clients and off of their employees, but they pay next to nothing. It is unfair!

4. They treat their foreign seasonal workers the worst. These employees rarely get private lessons, unless the clients are Spanish speakers. The foreign workers usually get the customers that do not tip. The staff and supervisors I worked with did not treat these employees with respect, they acted above these workers.

3. They never listen to complaints employees bring to their attention. Example 1: gas leak in a ski school area, the management did not listen to employees about this until two fainted. Example 2: sewage leak in the employee locker
 - more...
GTLC is an amazing place
GTLC is an amazing place to work. Jackson Lake Lodge, highly recommend! Loved the experience there. The place, the people, all of it! It is by far the best place I've worked.
DONT work for Vail Resorts
You may be tempted by the beauty of Vail Mountain and the perceived ability to ski a lot but I promise you that you will HATE your life. You get paid like s&!t (so bad that you live below the poverty line and qualify for food stamps), and treated like your a worthless replaceable cog in the wheel. If you're at all intelligent, you will immediately start to see how things might be done in a better way but when you make ANY sort of suggestions to your manager or the higher ups they will all be dismissed, because improving work life for employees and even customer experience is not their concern. My manager in the EpicMix department was a pathologically liar who would tell you things to your face, on a daily basis, that he knew to be false and that seems to be exactly the type of person Vail Resorts wants to employee at the manager and higher up levels. At the end of the day, Vail Resorts only cares about one thing, and that's certainly not the employees, it's making more money for the corporation to line the pockets of the executives. Vail Resorts takes all the worst parts of working for a large corporation and applies to every resort the purchase. I implore you, STAY AWAY!!!!
Interesting and fun place to work
Talking to guest was the most interesting part of the job. I learnt so much about the ski resorts industry during those few months. Unfortunately due to unprecedent circumstances the company management took the difficult decision to close all the ski resorts. So we as first contact had the arduous job to explain to guest about the decision due to goverment regulations.
Avoid Epic Mountain Express
This company is falling apart from the inside. You have no life outside of work because the schedule is all over the place and they change it on you sometimes with no notice. You will be driving in awful conditions and get ready to sit in traffic for hours with unhappy people on board. I talked to another driver who was on the clock for 50 hours straight because he got stranded from a bad storm. Avoid this job if you want to ski! The housing is ok but you really dont have another choice. Over all id say pick another job at vail resorts and you will have a better time.
A Wonderful Summer Experience
I lived in Grand Teton National Park for the summer and working here was fun due to such a diverse crowd. The seasonal employees were diverse as were the customers. Management was nice and informative. You don't really come work here for money, it is much more of an experience. From my short time there I have no complaints.
Indoor putting green for breaks.
Vail Resorts is an awesome company to work for if you enjoy skiing or snowboarding. The training program is excellent and the customers have an inherently positive attitude compared with most of the customers out there.
I loved my first year teaching ski school.
I taught 3-6 year olds in skiing and it was absolutely amazing. My job was so fun that it didn't even feel like work at all. There is a big difference, in my opinion, when it comes to working with kids as opposed to adults. Children are so full of energy and life, and provide a great reminder for adults to have fun and enjoy what you are doing
Great Brand - Not a great Company
I had high expectations joining VR. I had heard some mixed reviews heading in, but was hoping the company had turned a corner. Unfortunately, I found the company to still be struggling for all the reasons that I had read/heard about.
Banquet Captain
Making sure that a banquet function is covered from start to finish while upholding the most customer service and the best execution of the event. Making the customers happy made my day.
It could have been a simple job but inexperienced and self promoted manager's egos ruined that.
The workplace is typical of seasonal resort employment in being mismanaged by "high school mean girls" that consider you the "fat girl". Lots of gossiping, rumor mongering and childish retaliation from supervisors and managers. My boss and her self promoted assistant would spend hours in the office wallowing in drama and gossip about everything and everyone. The lack of management skills from the managers means priorities are being set (or not) by inexperienced people trying to create an instant career. Safety was more of an inconvenience than a culture. I never felt safe from the drunken childish environment forcing me to leave the dorms on my days off for the safety of a hotel room. When security problems with several drunken hostile employees were brought to the attention of my supervisor, she painted the office. When I called security about the incident, I got their voice mail and NO follow up. These things don't happen in normal employment I know, I was just disappointed because I guess I had bigger expectation for Vail, it was an Epic Fail for Vail.
Best job I've ever had.
As a long time skier, working as an instructor for Vail resorts has brought me great joy in my job. I have made my best friends at work and have truly seen personal growth as a result of my job and working with the people in my work environment. My supervisors and managers are encouraging and supportive and I love having a job that I am so passionate about.
Long term
This is a great place to work with such positive energy. The benefits are good (especially if you area skier) and the pay is good. However, if you are looking for a company to retire from, this may not work out.
Vail all resort pass
The most enjoyable part of the job is we get to ski and ride every day! Discounts are great and the opportunity to work at other resorts around the country is always available. Workplace culture is great as long as you have a good attitude.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vail Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.