Valero Employee Reviews

Not All the Same
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pen Argyl, PAApril 19, 2018
I enjoyed the job because I was around people. I enjoy customer service. I did not enjoy the pay that I was working for. What I have learned from working here is the more you give and do with out being asked the more people take and don't really appreciate it.
good benifits
Shipper Receiver (Current Employee) –  Bloomingburg, OHApril 17, 2018
load trucks railcars. Lots of dot paper work run heavy equipment .have rotating shifts we have set work load requirements load semi trailers primarily thru day via front end loader.
Pros
good pay and benifits.flexable work schduel great yearly bonuses
Cons
rotaing shifts every 30 days go from day shift to night shift.
Valero was a pleasant and professional place to work
Principal Instrument & Controls Designer (Former Employee) –  Sunray, TXApril 16, 2018
Valero is an aggressive company with high standards. My colleagues were skilled and knowledgeable as well as was the management. The work was interesting ad the atmosphere was serious and professional.
Working with public
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 11, 2018
Typical day catering to the customers needs. Setting up the store with inventory, helping customers with money orders diesel pumps and or lunch orders gas pups janitioral work in and out of the store I enjoyed every location I worked at as I work well with others as a team to ensure safety and clean work environment
Pros
Great management
Cons
Some times you can’t have a lunch break
Fast pace enviorment work
Gas Station Attendant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 7, 2018
It is a good place to work at. If a person is able to work in an fast paced environment and with good customer service, that is the good place to work.
a good place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Hill, TXApril 5, 2018
it was a cool environment and my coworkers were nice to me.
my manager was usually in a good mood, never really had problems with him.
overall it was a good experience
good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 5, 2018
it was a nice place to work at. nice experience over all. great people. nice customers. i was a cashier it was enjoyable and fun at the same time. dont regret.
best work experience i had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, CAApril 2, 2018
Well everyday as i headed of to work i would never worry about any negative occurrence to happen at my job. The reason why is because i would work specifically handle everything. As for the requirements, the owner would give me the instructions of what he needed. As long sat the job was done by the time he needed and the job was done he would not have a reason to instruct me other wise.
Pros
good customer service
Cons
only 40 hr every week
Overall, a meaningful and rewarding job experience
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 26, 2018
Every day on the job is a highly rewarding experience. My work has broadened my technical knowledge and skills far beyond my expectations. Training provided on the job is top notch. If you want a specific training, just ask, it is most likely provided.

I have met some really incredible people, who all have a passion for what they do. These people will have no problem doing anything they can to help out a colleague, often with little moments notice. Community involvement is a very important part of the work culture, which I respect tremendously.

Unfortunately, I have found that the work/life balance is virtually non-existent. In addition, I have never seen a team of management personnel so out of tune with their employees. Too much is expected with too little information, "just do what I say mentality". Typical cutthroat management style. This is a shame, as I genuinely don't feel this is representative of the company culture.

Overall, a work experience I can't regret.
Pros
Outstanding benefits. Co-workers. Work substance. Compensation. Community involvement.
Cons
Work/Life balance is non-existent. Management.
Worked at Diamond Shamrock paid by Valero
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Porter, TXMarch 25, 2018
Worked at Diamond Shamrock got paid by Valero think it may have been a US version of the company. The confusion was it turned into a Valero after i was employed with that one particular store. Different procedures and policies.
Pros
At Diamond Shamrock always had hours
Cons
Diamond Shamrock non stop on weekends and no sit down break policy
Stressful place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, ARMarch 23, 2018
We had a horrible manager. She would talk down to your quite often.
It was a very busy work place and it was her and i working dailey, she would never help me at when things got really busy. Their was a couple of employees working there that were cut throats. Everything was hard. The most enjoyable part was meeting some really good people who became regular customer.
Pros
Meeting some awesome customer
Cons
Differently the manager
Horrible location, great management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 22, 2018
Valero store #552 on Oltorf is not the safest location for a 24 hour corner-store, but the management more than makes up for the dreaded location. They are really nice, very funny, and have no trouble working around your schedule, got any problems just don't forget to bring it up.
Management always looking to blame Operators for problems
Operator (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXMarch 21, 2018
Management is horrible! Always a witch hunt even when no personnel did anything wrong. They have to have someone to blame for everything. Company vs. Union makes a very stressful work environment.
Benefits
Cons
Cut throat managers who do not care about employees
Fast Paced
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Troy, TXMarch 18, 2018
Its always fast paced.
Great time to react with others.
Very loving.
Always cleaning.
Making sure everything is done and clean.
Patinces and Kindness is a huge key in this role
Easy Job
Team Leader, Cashier, Stacking (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 16, 2018
It was a great company until it turned into Circle K so I am not entirely sure if I would work there again but if you want an easy job its nice to apply yo
Hated to leave.
Refinery Hydrocracker, Hydrotreater, operator (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXMarch 13, 2018
Great place to work, Good training, Good people, Good benifits, Shift work sucks but knew that going in. Bad Union vs company culture. Supervisors and Managers are always eager to help.
Pros
Good safety program, good benifits.
Cons
Shift work.
very nice stores easy to maintain
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 11, 2018
but lack of all workers working as a team so one always had to pick up the slack for the rest, always dealing with trying to get good employees who will actually do the work there supposed to do, some get hired and will just stand there most of there shift, generally has alot of gossip and talk about coworkers so theres a type of drama thats present that is very unprofessional hardly any kind of real team work when your working on a team
Pros
store product discounts
Cons
no upsale, bonuses, or any kind of bonuses for csr position, unlike quick trip or quick mart which have bonuses programs on top of your hourly
transition from military
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMarch 11, 2018
Position frequently in conflict with operational personnel
Unable to follow maintenance schedule
Maintenance crew low morale due to inability to comnplete scheduled work and frequent avoidable emergencies
Csr
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXMarch 7, 2018
Customer Sales Representative
Hygienically handled food
Operated the cash register
Kept the store clean
Entrusted to accurately compute and deposit nightly earnings
Order, count and stock groceries
Great working with high caliber of people and great work environment
Instrument Analyzer Technician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CAMarch 7, 2018
Typical work day was Monday thru Thursday 10 hours a day would get a work order to work on various electronic control devices for pressure, temperature, level, flow and emission control analyzers. This is a great work environment with great management who put safety above cost or productivity.
The hardest part of the job was the commute every day 70 miles round trip.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling of accomplishment.
I was also used from time to time to train other technicians on various control devices and emission analyzers.
Pros
Health care, free coffee, top caliber people at work
Cons
commute 70 miles round trip

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valero. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.7Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight