Valero Employee Reviews

Found 1,146 reviews matching the search See all 1,180 reviews
Great Place!
Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 21, 2018
Great people, competitive, superb benefits package, community minded, healthy environment, job security, volunteer opportunities within the community!
Pros
Gym, covered parking, Bank, cafeteria
My time at Valero .
Cashier/Pt.cook (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXFebruary 8, 2019
My time at valero was hard,they took advantage of me. They also didn't pay me for doing two jobs. I couldn't afford the insurance. The management was horrible,out of the two managers that were there at my time ,they both were bad. Its a corporation and all they care about is the bottom dollar you can make for them.
Pros
Cons
they made me work two jobs without the pay of two jobs, no advancement
Great employer
Accounting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 4, 2018
My only observation is that career advancement is not very structured. Once new vice president took over in 2014, job openings and advancement opportunities are now non-existent.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
chaotic, could not even cash paycheck
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 23, 2018
Poor work environment. no perks or benefits. little advancement opportunity. employee retention not even a minor priority. You are either in favor or out of a job
Pros
Cons
payrole issues weekly
Stable company that cares for employees
QA/QC, FSMA, and Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Albert City, IADecember 4, 2018
Safety is #1 and they put their money where their mouth is with regard to safety; solid management advancement opportunities; career training and development very well developed.
Great Carreer
MAINTENANCE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, TXJanuary 28, 2019
Meetings at 6;00 am
Maintenance and Process of very Complex Refinery
Management was great in witch makes good culture
Getting time off
Providing for my family
Pros
Full time job
Cons
Hard to get a day off
Not a easy job to work.
Cashier, stocking, cleaning, counting lottery (Former Employee) –  Gun Barrel City, TXNovember 19, 2018
The company was not a easy place to work at. I worked overnight and had an overwhelming list of jobs to do. I was afraid working the night shift. Had to call police officers to the store many times. Management refused to move me to day shift. Hardest part of the job was stocking the cooler. I am 5 feet tall and weigh 100 pounds. the lifting hurt my back. some cases of alcohol was 50 pounds. However I learned how to count quickly and multitask well.
Pros
close to home
Cons
no healthcare or career advancment
A fast paced job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OH 45601February 10, 2019
I love the actual job, and the responsibilities. I have learned a lot about the paperwork and Ohio Lottery. I dislike the pay rate, inconsistent hours and no chance of advancement, raises or insurance. To get more than 24 hours a week, you have to work in more than one of the 7 stores, ans get a separate paycheck from each one, as well as a separate W2 for each store you work in at the end of the year.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Not enough to live on
valero could be a better company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 3, 2018
There are no lunch breaks, you have to eat standing up between customers, its very hard to change schedule, getting days off was hard, holidays are required
Pros
its a job
Cons
guys work graveyard, underpaid, bad raises
Stable work and compensation
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX 78209October 30, 2018
Working at Valero varies from area to area. Ive worked at locations near schools, and locations near bars. Each very different in what is being asked of you as a worker. In one store, you may have enjoyable customers whom you may develop healthy relationships with. In another store you may encounter belligerent customers on substances, and may have to actively keep them from the store or from harming customers. The Benefits are incredible though. You are able to set up a 401k and there is room for advancement. It may take some time, but you are able to headway in this company.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Danger level varies from store to store
Decent Place
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Pettus, TXOctober 27, 2018
Just come and do your best. Work hard and you will be noticed. Not much benefits from company but overall decent place to work. Not too stressful. Customer based workplace.
Withheld (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
Great company to work for. Excellent compensation and benefits package. Great management systems for operating high performing refineries with a strong culture for Safety and Environmental performance and Operational Reliability.
Fast paced
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 13, 2018
I worked there part time as a second job for extra income, I couldn't have done it fulltime, not enough money
You get to know your regular customers and they can be really nice people, but the amount of work you are expected to do for the money is A Lot!
Pros
Some of the customers can be fun
Cons
Low pay, management gets benefits
Interesting and Objective Driven
Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 9, 2018
Started the day by reviewing the workload that was organized the previous day. The team was empowered to conduct and process the assignments without direct supervision. Utilized my background and skill-set to complete workload in an expedited manner. Management trusted the team and was professional. Culture was mission driven and was very aware of the objective and the importance of completing it on a timely basis. The hardest part of the job included having to complete the assignments with a short window. Enjoyable part of the job was being flexible and being allowed to be creative to complete the workload.
Pros
Professional Goal driven team
Cons
Short windows for assignment completion
You will work for minimum wage, but they will work you like you’re getting paid more than you are.
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ravenden, ARSeptember 25, 2018
I really needed the money and it was one of the only jobs around my town, but they take advantage of you, but you can do everything they ask, and they will never be satisfied. You have to run the store by yourself in the time of night where there should be more than one person. Management is ok, but could be better.
Pros
$5 or under for a meal, free fountain drinks.
Cons
Work hard and not be appreciated at all.
Stress-free but challenging environment, friendly staff, helpful manager, clean and organized aisles and refrigerator.
FLOOR/STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 12, 2018
Stress-free, and positively challenging environment.
Friendly staff.
Helpful management.
Clean/organized aisles and refrigerators.
401K Plan.
Paid-off lunch break.
Pros
You have a lunch break, the staff and manager are friendly, the store is clean and organized, covered by plans.
Cons
Hourly pay, amount of work hours
Was not Valero when I started working there
Weigh-master, Front Desk Administrator (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CAJune 2, 2018
started in 2000, Valero purchased the company in 2004. Valero has a great work to employee culture and the CEO was very hands on. The work schedule for my position changed from 8 to 12 hours shifts. After a few years i was burned out and went looking for the 9-5 Mon-Fri position.
Pros
Excellent Compensation package
Cons
12 hour shift rotation
impossible to keep up deal with every duty working alone
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHAugust 7, 2018
Rude customers
Old equipment.
Management needs overhaul.
Good employees
Work hard for very little no notice.
No excused call offs.
Delivery ordering system outrageous mess
Cons
no breaks ever
Lame but was a pay check
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZDecember 19, 2018
They all ways keep me under the bar so I couldn't get benefits. Hours anyway. They promised me full time on graveyard then I was training the new full time graveyard guy that's why I left valero.
A very stressful high paced job
Manager, Assistant Manager, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSNovember 11, 2018
The store I worked at was very stressful and long hours. The first day on job, the manager walked out and I worked over 12 hours before someone came in.
Pros
A job
Cons
Very stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valero. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight