Valley Bank Employee Reviews

Featured review
Valley Bank selected this as a representative review
Productive, fun, flexible, and competitive
RELATIONSHIP BANKER (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, NJApril 23, 2018
Valley National Bank offers great benefits and flexibility. I learned great things regarding mine and other job positions. Management takes time train and guide you.
Pros
Flexible and productive.
Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 16, 2019
I’ve worked for serval larger banks in the past and one thing I can say about Valley Bank is this financial institution is very different from all other financial institutions because of Valley’s Banking culture. It’s very challenging due to the internal politics.
Good
.NET Full Stack Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJJuly 4, 2019
It wa sa good first internship. it started off pretty slow but started to ramp up towards the end once i got started on relevant work. Everyone was very friendly and was a very comfortable work environment.
In Transition
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJune 27, 2019
The bank is very chaotic right now. They're trying to get into sales and be very aggressive. But they do not have anything to sale. Staff is slim. People are very stressed and overworked. No one has job security. New people leave as quick as they come. Customers are confused and bank is losing a lot of money.
Pros
No bounced checks.
Cons
Hard to take a day off for vacation. Hard to take lunch.
Slow paced, yet intimate environment with a close-knit group of coworkers
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Blairstown, NJJune 24, 2019
I feel that my location of Valley suffers a lot from being in a rather rural area. While the corporation attempts to grow, it begins to lose a lot of that small-business culture that a lot of the customers in a small-town setting really appreciate. Goals at a branch such as mine are the same goals as a branch in an urban setting like New York City or Orlando, FL would receive. This attempt at a balancing act has resulted in almost laughable goals for a bustling branch, and nigh unattainable ones for a branch with less foot traffic.
Pros
Close relationship with customers, intimate knowledge of their business and banking needs
Cons
Clique culture from branch to branch, inattentive management
arervage
Branch Manager, Vice President (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJune 16, 2019
Too many chiefs not enough Indians. Multiple levels of management which causes a lot of confusion on policies and procedures,
Senior management does not promotion from within, outside people hired then the staff is required to train them
Good job to start you off and give a taste of sales and competitive sales
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Livingston, NJJune 14, 2019
Horrible with planning and poor management but pay is fine great stepping stool for beginners. Too many turn overs and short staff always. Unorganized company
Great place to work and learn
Talent Acquisition Intern (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJJune 13, 2019
I am an intern here at Valley, and I have been valued from the day I started. If you are looking for an internship, this is a great place to be, because you are not treated as an errand-boy/girl like many other internships.
If you are looking for something more permanent, Valley is also a great place to work, because the company is always looking to grow its employees and create internal promotions.
Bank is Outdated, Make things Inconvenient for their Customers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJJune 6, 2019
slow online banking registration process... outdated technology... if customer wants to change their address they have to fax or email a handwritten signed letter or go to the branch in person. When we receive the request, we cant change it right away, it gets forwarded to an unnecessary department who makes the changes.. whole process for that simple thing takes 3-4 days.. if a customer is requesting something to be mailed to new address it will take them 1-2weeks to get it.. including debit cards or credit cards ... and if we have to update the address before sending you a new debit card, forget about it.. you’ll get it in like a month.
Pros
Theres always overtime available
Cons
Only holiday off is Christmas, not online banking friendly, slow for almost every proces
Teller
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJune 3, 2019
A typical day at Valley is doing the same thing over and over again. There is no room for advancement. Management shows favoritism to people they are close with.
Can be a great place to work.
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Nutley, NJJune 2, 2019
The job can be very easy and rewarding. If managers are not helpful or supportive the job can be really stressful and make you resentful. Most people working here are great.
changing environment
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 29, 2019
Has gone through a huge change in culture in the past 4 years, some good and some bad. Opportunities were limited as new directors where on-boarded. Management seeks to hire staff that they worked with in previous jobs, and not allowing existing long-time staff to prove their qualities or ability to conform with this new change.
Pros
minimal travel, local offices, ability to work from home
Cons
long hours, little advancement opportunities
Great learning experience
Teller (Former Employee) –  Bound Brook, NJMay 16, 2019
Helped customers with multiple types of transactions
Budget money throughout the day
Cash management
Friendly co workers great place to work.
Worked morning, evening and weekends.
Stay away please
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bergen County, NJMay 16, 2019
Managers are only for themselves, they talk to and treat you like slaves. They’re work and thinking are also not professional. Managers take all the personal and sick time they want and if you ask for a sick day in advance they approve it n wait on the last minute to tell you oh u can’t take it because they don’t have enough staff. STAY AWAY from this place. Another thing the banking system is so old fashion. ABM’s kisses TSM’s bottom and treat staff like kids.
Pros
Free checking account for 1 year
Cons
Managers sit and talk to family everyday on cell phone
I love my coworker. We trying to do our best and we work as a team. But isnt appreciation for the manager.
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  NjMay 15, 2019
When I started a Valley a love the home feeling, my coworkers are the best. But because the poor management and the change they are making we don't feel comfortable or appreciate, too much stress, and too much pretion for the goals they wants. Lower pay for the job, we feel unsafe. Some time o my 2 empleyoees working at the branch some time until 7 pm with not security at all.

The take employee from one branch to cover other branch leave or the job to one or two persons isn't fare. And the managers spend all the time sitting and talking with the relative by phone.
It s sad that good employees aren't appreciate.
Do not work here, get out fast
Universal Banker (Current Employee) –  Bergen County, NJMay 14, 2019
This bank is ridiculous. First they make everyone reapply for their jobs, making everyone stressed and in a panic. Then some of us hear back that we got the job.. and some never hear anything. Finally they tell people they are not qualified and will be getting a package. Then they start to get rid of people and now they ask the people that got the packages that they need to stay til maybe the end of the year! Feel sorry for them. Branches now have no staff so they always need to be covered from other branches. Staff now has to work all day and branches don’t care they continue to call out. They don’t approve personal days nor vacation days. They tell you like a month before that your vacation was approved, when it’s too late to go anywhere. Managers get first pick for vacation days. When you apply to a back office position during this transformation, they will deny your application because they can’t take staff from the branches, forcing employees to quit. The bank is suffering and surely they will go down soon. They also don’t care if you have to work every Saturday as it’s a part of your scheduled hours. No one shows up happy, no more conversations with the managers, and they are oblivious they don’t even see their employees aren’t happy.
Pros
Cons
Overworked, underpaid
Struggling to find their identity
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 18, 2019
Valley has recently re-branded in a desperate attempt to lure younger depositors. They are shedding older workers, hoping to onboard younger managers, but no real strategy of organizational structure exists.
Pros
location
Cons
No chance for advancement - elevated positions are always hired externally.
Great people. Great work place, Good salary and benefits
Paying/Receiving Teller/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, FLApril 10, 2019
I loved working at Valley Bank. I really liked all of my co workers and we all worked very well together. The clients were wonderful also.
All of us were seasoned bankers and were able to fill in for each other in case of emergency.
Pros
Good benefits. Good work environment, seasoned employees
Cons
For me I just wanted to work part time and it was not available.
Awful work environment
Branch Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Meadowbrook, ALApril 10, 2019
There is an employee there that threatened another employees life but she was allowed to keep her job. This employee is very hateful to all other employees. I left because of her and others have in the past also.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Productive Place to work
ACH Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJApril 7, 2019
The work flow is consistent, sometimes heavy workload. Great place to learn and grow. Allows you to excel in your position while providing training to gain knowledge in other areas.
Mortgage loan officer
Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMarch 26, 2019
worked 8-5 PM in a small cubicle, Ear phones, computers
and customer contact via phone. Wrote up phone application to
process, explained out system to client.
Pros
worked at our own pace
Cons
short breaks, lunches, break room, free coffee