Valley Health Employee Reviews

It's a steady paycheck and good beginning phlebotomy experience.
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Winchester VAAugust 11, 2018
Presently, I work with an amazing team consisting of about 5 people on a shift to service a 600 bed hospital plus a busy ER department. The high turn over rate of Phlebotomists at my facility adds undue stress to the job. We are always hiring new Phlebotomists that need training and rarely stay over a year.

At the moment, it's a job. Looking for something closer to home ( I drive 100 miles a day for work ) . The stress is high and the pay is below par with other hospitals in the area. The equipment is in disrepair. Management does little to correct these situations and it hasn't changed in the past three years that I have worked there.We now share carts in a department with over 40 people. When brought up at a meeting, it was stated that Valley Health can't afford enough carts at 1500.00 each. I'm not being negative, just stating fact.

I have learned a great deal of skills including caring for difficult patients. Drawing blood from new borne babies, trauma patients and people from all walks of life, ethnicities and religious beliefs.

It's been a great experience but it is time to move on.
Pros
Steady paycheck and rewarding patient experiences.
Cons
High turn over, busy workload.
Productive and fun work place
Dental receptionist (Former Employee) –  Huntington, WVAugust 11, 2018
I enjoyed meeting new people and learning new things. I had the opportunity to learn a lot. I made new friends and had an awesome opportunity to learn the dental field.
Pros
Got to wear jeans on Fridays
Cons
Had to work one 12 hour day a week
Management needs to be more professional and not have the buddy system.
Dental Assistant & Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Wayne, WVAugust 7, 2018
This place at Valley Health is too much favoritism that goes on. The receptionist are always wrong and always gets the blame. The windows needs covers on them to protect the receptionist. No pay raise. Nurses needs to be more courtesy to the patients and not talk about the patients problems to other employees. Management is very poor they need more training. I feel like all the above wouldn't happen if management was trained better.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Management is very poor.
Enjoyed caring for clients with compassion
RN (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 2, 2018
Good place to work. Enjoyed caring for clients with positivity and compassion. Enjoyed working as a team, learning new things every day, and assisting patients to improve their health.
I enjoyed working with the Radiologist there and had some great co-workers.
Mammographer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 30, 2018
The Radiologist were very easy to work for and trusted my ablities which made me feel valued. There were many co-workers that made Valley Health enjoyable to work for.
Wonderful group of people at the Hurricane location
Front Office Receptionist/Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVJuly 25, 2018
The Hurricane location was an excellent place of employment. I felt that Valley could pay a bit more to the hard working employees. Benefits were good and overall an excellent place to work.
Excellent
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 22, 2018
I had amazing bosses during my time at Valley Health. I loved the organization and the people and resources I collected along the way. The schedule was always flexible and the pay was comparable for my age and skill set. The only down side was that since I was a per-diem employee I never received a raise.
Need more nurses
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chilhowie, VAJuly 2, 2018
Staffing issues make the environment a hard place to work. Promised to go to 12hour shifts and yet to do so. Most staff are over worked and call in for days off.
Pros
Distance
Cons
Staffing
Wmc
RN Case Manager-Discharge Planner (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 27, 2018
WMC strives to be the leader in healthcare, promoting quality patient care, continued education for staff, and cutting edge technologies for sustainability. WMC was an excellent place to work.
Decent hospital environment
ISAT Tech/phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 25, 2018
This hospital does focus on employee wellness and customer service. There are short comings in some administrative areas but staff are generally friendly and help each other out. The staff tend to be department loyal. But still friendly.
It gets very busy at times. Staffing is adequate and generally good quality.
Pros
Progresive health care
Cons
busy
Needs more diversity
EPIC Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 15, 2018
Most people have worked there for many years and are reluctant to change. With legacy knowledge that they could share some choose not to but complain. Most people are more than helpful and open minded. They need to pull in more outside talent to mix things up.
Worst professional job ever!
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 13, 2018
Worst job experience ever. Never had an issue at other hospitals. Rude abusive co workers, bad management that did nothing... you name it. Getting harassed by co-workers. No one did a thing. Oh and did I mention constant shortness of staff?? Always getting yelled at for not enough staff. Management engages in gossip. Very negative environment.
Pros
None.
Cons
No work life balance, negative, stressful, demeaning and low pay
Poor Management
Financial Counselor/FIS Processor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 11, 2018
Very cut throat environment, harassment, bullying. Very stressful environment. Managers do not support if they don't like you. Advancement is hard to achieve
Worked 25 years for WMC/Valley Health
Behavioral Health Services, Program Secretary (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 31, 2018
I worked 25 years as a secretary in a couple different departments and positions. I had a very supportive director at the time I left the unit I worked on.
Terrible management
Tech (Former Employee) –  VirginiaMay 24, 2018
Our department has gone through numerous managers in the years I have been there. Current management has no clue what they are doing and one has even admitted it. Experienced employees with tenure are NOT valued as an asset, we all feel that we are expendable. It has become a somewhat negative work environment.
Terrible Environment
Cardiac Monitor Technician (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 23, 2018
Kept in a filthy tiny room with loud broken speakers
Bullies are treated as victims
Call outs and tardiness are tolerated and hardly dealt with
Poor salary for the work. Other area hospitals pay $4+ more to monitor fewer patients
Sometimes you get a break, sometimes you don't while smokers get away with taking multiple breaks
Slow but friendly
Cardiology Mentorship (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 22, 2018
everyone was lovely. There wasn't much going on, but it was great to see all the different aspects. It wasn't my cup of tea as I primarily saw check-up appointments and logging of notes from the appointments. However, it was still interesting and everyone was very willing to answer any questions I had.
Patients and Co-workers made working for this healthcare system more pleasant.
Radiation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 29, 2018
Upper management did not seem to care about the staffs concerns when it came to compensation. They knew they were paying the staff a salary that would well under the standard rate and yet they did nothing about it.
Cons
They know they under pay their employees and they do nothing about it.
not bad for the position
REHABILITATION AIDE (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 26, 2018
I worked there as a rehab aide, it was my first job, and I learned valuable skills, and met some awesome people. I recommend the facility for surgeries etc but you aren't treated right behind the scenes most of the time
A fun place to work!
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 22, 2018
I really loved working in the emergency department of Winchester Medical Center. It was very busy at times, but it was a blast to work with the ER team. Everyone worked together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley Health. Our community is ready to answer.