Valley National Bank Employee Reviews

Good place to work without banking experience
HEAD TELLER (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2018
I have been employed at Valley National Bank for 10 plus years now. Personally it's been a pleasure working there. The branch work hours are great, the work load is manageable, co-workers are friendly, management is decent and the customers are a delight to serve. Valley National Bank has good internal training and it's a good place to start off in Banking to acquire as much experience as desired. The pay is competitive and annual evaluation raises have been good thus far. More importantly there is always opportunities for advancement and they do promote from within. On another note organisation, consistency, and employee appreciation can be improved on by the company.
Pros
Good Pay, Opportunities for Growtht, Great Training
Cons
Short Staffed; No Holiday Parties
Would not recommend
Assistant Manager - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJune 14, 2018
The culture is very unique. If you don’t fit in you’re not getting ahead. They laid me off claiming budget reasons and hired someone else to do my same job with a different tittle. No wonder they made me sign an agreement I wouldn’t sue. They want to compete with big banks but the technology is sub par and management is stuck in the 80’s at best. No work life balance due to constantly being asked to work weekends and getting shamed if you’re not able. Experienced lots of cultural insensitivity only from one person not bank wide. When I first started it was wonderful due to a wonderful manager I had but she left and it went downhill for me from there.
Interesting Workplace
RESIDENTIAL MORTGAGE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Jericho, NYJune 8, 2018
Cool people, with interesting types of work. Worked a majority with the sales staff full of adverse people who have many years in the business and a lot of knowledge and contacts.
productive
senior bookkeeping in return items (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJune 1, 2018
It was a great environment, where everyone enjoyed working with one another, creating friendships through out the bank. It was a way to always learn new things.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 30, 2018
Valley is a great place to work. It is a growing company and you will be able to learn a lot if you are willing to put in the effort. The work flow is steady, you are often be exposed to different scenarios/transactions daily. You will not be bored.
decent hours
Teller (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, NJ 07006May 29, 2018
I advanced my experience with customers. hardest part of the job is trying to get things done is a shirt amount of lunch break. shirt staffed everywhere.
Pros
tsm was great
Cons
short breaks. short staff
Unattainable goals
BRANCH SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Sea Bright, NJMay 17, 2018
Asking for 100 new checking accounts in a beach branch in November when the town is empty. Unattainable goals so bonuses are never received. Changed goals mid-quarter so you could not reach them.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, no bonuses
Culture shock
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJMay 15, 2018
Valley has a very specific culture, If you don't fit in it;s difficult. The staff are slow to learn, it was like trying to turn the Titanic on a dime. The staff they had did not have what it takes to convert from an reactionary sales program to a pro active sales program
Productive and fast paced
Supervisor Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 14, 2018
As a Sales Associate there is always something to do. The job is very educational and very beneficial. Assisting customers with their banking needs on a daily basis.
Excellent company tp work for.
Banking Officer (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 14, 2018
I was Valley National Bank who offered me a position when I lost my previous job in 2007. It was a fantastic experience and I wish I never left. Due to my semi-retirement and relocation to South Jersey I had no choice but to leave due to the traveling distance.
Pros
Great people to work for, very accomodationg and understanding.
never a dull moment
International Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2018
always busy most of the time..some clients were nice other
weren't, i learned to deal with people that weren't so nice.
boss was out of the office most days, which was how we got clients.
energetic, slow paced, relaxed
Customer Service Representative - Platform (Former Employee) –  Northvale, NJMay 9, 2018
answering emails, dealing with customers, working with clients on individual needs. sales, assisting in other areas if need be. The staff is very nice and understandable.
Workplace culture
Training Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJMay 1, 2018
The Educational Resources Department at Valley National Bank was very open. We all got along well and helped each other when needed. Periodically we would order lunch as a group and eat together. It was a fun place to work.
Pros
Great supervisor and manager
Cons
Fast paced, everyday is different
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Belvidere, NJApril 30, 2018
Productive environment, opportunity for advancement. Constant updated informat ion regarding policy, procedure and federal regulations amendments.
Everyday is different. Interaction with customers is the best part of the job.
Pros
Meeting/interacting with customers
Old time thinking - stuck in the 70's
Intern (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJApril 28, 2018
Not a great place to work for. Technology is old and the dress code is stuck in the 70's. Would not recommend this to anyone. It is a great hold over until you can find another job. Nothing good to say about this company.
Pros
Good community services
Cons
No technology - Managment all for themselves
Productive, fun, flexible, and competitive
RELATIONSHIP BANKER (Former Employee) –  Fort Lee, NJApril 23, 2018
Valley National Bank offers great benefits and flexibility. I learned great things regarding mine and other job positions. Management takes time train and guide you.
Pros
Flexible and productive.
Sales is pushed / Office Differences
HEAD TELLER (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 21, 2018
A more demanding role and have to push for sales or else your review is not good enough. The increase in pay is very slow and in order to make more you would have to move up within the company. You can apply within but they don't give others a chance to advance higher and choose others outside or within that they want.
Pros
Benefits, Full Time 40 hrs, Biweekly
Cons
Sales, Security of Job, Communication, Drama within the Branches
Great Staff
Branch Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, NJApril 17, 2018
A typical work day consistent with printing daily reports and contacting customers to determine how to handle certain transaction and or just making your own decision base on account history. As well as assisting branch staff and overseeing branch in absence of branch manager while assisting customers.

- I've learn more about identifying customer financial needs.
- The hardest part of the job is career advancement.
- The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers.
- There is NO work culture here. Staff has to pay for there own holiday events.
Very Productive and busy all the time.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJApril 10, 2018
In my role, there were no typical days. First I would read through my emails and address any issues. Then I would manually run specific crystal reports required by management. There would always be projects to be worked on.
I was successful in advancing my knowledge in crystal reports and database management. Management got more out of their employees when they did not try to micromanage the workers. The culture has changed over the last couple years to be more streamlined and busy. The hardest part of the job is speaking to your audience when you do not know their background or their level of computer knowledge. The most enjoyable part of the job is being acknowledged and recognized for my contributions.
stressfull
Closing Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJApril 9, 2018
There is so much to do and not enough pay. People here come and go and never stay. Other banks pay way better but this is a place to get experience if you want.
Cons
management