Valley Proteins Employee Reviews

Terrible company to work for
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Linkwood, MDJune 23, 2019
No management support. Extreme cliques. Hostile work environment. Management bullying. Low pay. No support options at the division or corporate level.
Pros
Cons
nothing good about this company
Welcome to the worst place on earth
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Linkwood, MDJune 21, 2019
Management sucks job sucks the smell is horrible the owners are a joke you will have no family life work too many hours for little pay very unsafe place to work Hi-Health risk dirty no life outside those fences super hot during the summer freezing cold during the winter management does not know how to talk to their employees backstabbing no-good lying management too many conceited people like I said earlier worst place on Earth
Pros
Zero
Cons
Company should be shut down
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Mulberry, FLJune 10, 2019
Will not pay you the hours you work. Don't pay you for orientation, they say they will but don't. Loser company. I would never work for that company again.
Pros
18.00 a hour
Cons
Don't pay you for hours worked
Production Supervisor / Looking for Growth / Advancement within the Company.
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rose Hill, NCJune 7, 2019
Coming from a 20 year background in Maintaining Industrial Safety (OSHA, FDA, Joint Commission, Board Of Pharmacy, ETC), Industrial Manufacturing & Operations / Sales Management for Major Leaders in Fortune 500 Companies. I find myself in one of the Most Interesting Facilities I have ever worked in.
The Diversity in this Workforce has the ability to make Major Impacts on the Facility, Environment & Each Other. They work in conditions that I admit is not for the Faint at Heart but find a way to make it work.

I’m here to Grow not only as a Leader but to show my 20 + years Experience in a Management Role. I’m looking for advancement within a Company making a difference.

I will absorb all the knowledge from the shovel & up.

If there is a problem offer a solution not a complaint. Speak to Management. Some listen to what you say.

I will see if the company is true to there advancement opportunities.

Looking for a Future.
Pros
Great Benefits.
Cons
Equipment is Hindering the Rendering Process. Fix the issues & Produce a Quality Product.
Great Job
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 2, 2019
I've worked for this company for 30 years and its been a good job. I've raised my family and put a kid through college. They have a good benefits package including 401k. If you need consistency then this is the job for you.
Pros
get paid every week.
Cons
very little time off.
June 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review Valley Proteins. It is wonderful to hear that the company has been able to meet your family needs for 30 years. We appreciate your hard work, dedication, and positive attitude. Our people are what makes Valley Proteins a great place to work. We owe the success of the company to great employees like you.

HR Manager

Poor management and no compassion for the workers
Lead driver (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 28, 2019
High turn over rate with managers and drivers, they drive you in the ground and throw you away like trash. They barely train you and the job can be dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing....
Pros
Non.
June 14, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review Valley Proteins. Because we value our employees, our managers and HR have an open door policy so that we can provide support however possible. I will share your concerns with Management so that we can evaluate our training program.

Horrible company
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  East Earl, PAMay 26, 2019
Managers suck and can’t manage. They will stab you in the back in a heartbeat. Insurance is horrible and they don’t care about their employees. They will find anyway they can to get rid of people they don’t like, good worker or not.
June 14, 2019

Thank you for the feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and I will make sure management is aware of your concerns. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t feel valued. It would have been helpful for you to reach out to management or HR to discuss these issues, as we are here as a resource to help you. We have actually made great strides to offer competitive benefits resulting in another decrease in premiums, beginning 7/1/19.

HR Manager

Good pay horrible environment.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Linkwood, MDApril 30, 2019
The pay is decent.but you are treated less then human!!! Management encourages friction between the drivers! A lot of preferential treatment from the management from one driver to the next! And a whole lot of he said she said !
Pros
Pay is decent
June 14, 2019

Thank you for your review. We know our associates are working very hard for us, and we strive to offer a rewarding compensation package. It is great to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. It is disappointing to hear that you felt like there was favoritism. Because we are always looking to improve, I will make sure that I share this feedback with the management team. We wish you all the best in your future professional endeavors.

HR Manager

If your not related or as kisser or if one of management does not have a man cush on you .then this job not for you
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Strawberry Plains, TNApril 25, 2019
Was a good a great place to work until 2010 after. CEO move in its about profit. And benefits for them .job scared mangment and yes men make this company full of lieing dishonest. Management if they show up for work .you may have a chance there if management has a man crush on you. Good luck
Pros
No pros. Any more
Cons
High health care .unqualifed management
May 13, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review Valley Proteins. We’re sorry to hear that your experience was not what you hoped for. This is not a typical experience and we encourage employees talk to their managers or HR when issues arise. Management cares deeply about honesty and integrity within the company. We don’t tolerate dishonesty or favoritism. Our managers will be reminded of this in the coming days to ensure that they are operating to company standards.

Poorly managed
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ward, SCApril 25, 2019
There is constant turnover in management. There is very little communication between departments. There is no accountability when equipment is damaged and maintenance is blamed for equipment condition.
May 13, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience. Valley Proteins cannot improve without employees letting us know what they are experiencing on the job. Your comments will be shared with Valley Proteins managers so that communication between departments will be clearer in the future.

HR Manager

was a really great palce
Wash house operator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 3, 2019
place was great was outside by myself doin my own thing, was a fun job to do, people was great the money was great,if i could go back i would,but trying new things
May 13, 2019

We appreciate the helpful feedback! Thank you for serving Valley Proteins with a positive attitude, and we are pleased to hear that you were fairly compensated for your work. We wish you good luck on your future professional endeavors.

HR Manager

Managers dont know the job
Wastewater Operator (Former Employee) –  Rose Hill, NCMarch 27, 2019
Its and a decent place to work at the employees there are good people managers were too, but all of a sudden some started quitting and now the managers there know less than the employees and stay in the office not trying to learn but sure to let you know if you did something wrong and blame others for their short comings hardest part is the 12+ hour shifts and its enjoyable working with people there.
Pros
People and money
Cons
Managers
May 13, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you experienced subpar leadership at Valley Proteins. This is not a typical employee experience. The management team strives to guide the company in a direction that is beneficial for both employees and clients. Our managers will be notified of your comments so that they can be more effective in the future. We appreciate your service to the company and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your co-workers.

Valley Proteins
Vaccum Pump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDMarch 21, 2019
Poor Management, Bad decision making for employees, trucks are always down, mechanics never fix trucks when they are warned about a problem. Supervisors lie to you just so you can complete the job. No respect from management.. Think twice before making a decision to work here.. Supervisors are always right Drivers are always wrong..
Pros
Paid every thursday
Cons
Trucks are always breaking down, poor management, no advancement opportunities, does not follow DOT rules
May 13, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our employees are our most valuable asset and it is helpful to management to know when communication failures occur and drivers are unhappy. We encourage employees to speak with their managers or HR to address problems on the job. Your feedback will be shared with upper management so that positive changes can be implemented in the future.

HR Manager

Work-life balance and Great team interaction
Area Procurement Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 6, 2019
Family oriented culture. Everyone openly willing to work as a team including upper management. There isn't a regular routine based on service needs, appointments, leads, or personal research to gain new business. Overall, great company to work for!
Pros
Balanced lifestyle, Culture, and Sales Skill Development
Cons
Communication updates
Good Job
Waste water operator (Current Employee) –  NCMarch 5, 2019
Pretty good job, pays the bills & you get some days off. The management they put in place could use some training. But overall pretty good place to work at.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Benefits, Management
Company lacks in all areas
Cooker Operator/Lead Man/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rose Hill, NCMarch 3, 2019
Taking a look back on my journey from Valley I am very glad I worked with and left the company. If i had not worked there I would not have people in my corner that I trust. Which was very few from that company by the way. I worked very hard there each and every day giving it 100 percent even when feeling bad. This company nor the management care about their workers; which is the blood and soul of what drives and makes money. I can recall a lityle over 5 years ago my wife had a miscarriage and i stayed out of work and upon returning 2 days later I had been written up and told the baby was of no kin to me so I had to be written up. Strange right? It was at that point i knew i could no linger stay there becuase I knew at that instance my worth to that company. Being forced to work two shifts becuase they could not hire and keep people. So when I stayed out after being worked into the groundi had been written up on my regular scheduled off days. After all the work and life sacrifices I made to work there I was promoted only to be demoted for a guy off the street that had zero experience in that environment. Gave him a salary and which was double what I was making. The last write up they gave me set it in stone that I would leave there was for quote sabotaging a shut down. If anyone knows the operation how can you sweep out a cooker full of hotdogs with chicken offal? You can not it will only turn to mush and flood out your discharge screws. After demoting me they did not have a supervisor to start up the plant. So when I refused to I was called all kinds pf names  more... behind closed doors. Basically they wanted me to have supervisor responsiblity and run the cooker for $16 hr. I would be a fool to do that. It takes a speacial type of characteristic to work there and the loyal hard working employees that they had will most likely never return. And what they have now is what they dod to themselves. I will not speak on the safety violations its just to much to list. With all of that said dont let my experience stop you from working there. Experiences can vary person to person.  less
Pros
Do work very few in the nation does
Cons
Too much to list
Excellent place to work
Director of Program Management (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 21, 2019
Wonderful family owned business with great benefits. The company cares about its employees and ensures its employees are well compensated for their hard work.
Pros
Great pay for the area, friendly environment and flexibility
Like all companies
employee (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TX 79118January 30, 2019
Just like all companies, there is stuff you have to deal with, this is a very good company advancement is easy dedication is a must. It’s not perfect, but what company is? Pay is awesome.
Fast and erratic production, managers and supervisors on your back all the time!
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Linkwood, MDJanuary 4, 2019
I don't like working here.When you get sick they take your PAB, write you up even when someone passes away in your family. I do not approve of this situation at all. This company is too strict. They should be more lenient to employees.
Pros
Work six days a week.
Cons
Health care, can't go to church.
An OK starter company to get experience in CDL Class A
CDL-A Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 15, 2018
Pay & Managment- VP has recently switched their Class-A drivers from hourly to "Load Pay". This has made many if the drivers so upset they are quitting or about ready to quit driving for VP. There are some instances where you will be making money hourly but the company will put you on unskilled labor which is a good bit lower from their past hourly pay for drivers. Unskilled labor in instances where you are driving in heavy slow moving traffic.
The drivers were told when the switch was made they would be making the same amount of money or more with the new load pay system, which isn't the case. Drivers have ask for a meeting with management about the issue but management has only given them the runaround and refuses to meet with drivers to resolve the issue. The company doesn't seem to care at about losing longtime experienced drivers.

Equipment- From what I have seen the equipment at VP is in poor to fair condition. Trailers with damaged landing gear, damaged/improper /malfunctioning lights. Tractors are not properly maintained, some are scary to drive. Plant equipment is in poor repair/condition and breaks down often. This causes drivers to have long waits to unload. I would classify VP as an unsafe working environment and unsafe to other drivers on the road due to equipment that's in disrepair.

Conclusion - From what I have experienced, VP is either going through a serious financial crisis or is trying to maximize profits at the expense of employees health, safety, and financial stability.
Pros
New drivers can get experience.
Cons
Company greed, unsafe equipment, low/unpredictable pay
December 21, 2018

While we appreciate all comments, this one is simply not true.

We are blessed to have a lot of great people working very hard for the company. We appreciate each of them and to reward them we implemented load pay. Drivers are now earning more than they did before.

Drivers are not quitting over load pay. The average Valley Proteins, Inc. driver has been with the Company at least 7 years, and over 110 of our drivers have been with us for over 10 years. We offer drivers the opportunity to have a rewarding career and they have shown their appreciation by remaining with the company.

We do not have unsafe equipment. We regularly maintain and renew our equipment, and over the next two months alone, we will be obtaining 80 new Cascadia II Freightliner trucks. We are dedicated to maintaining a safe fleet because we value our employees and our communities.

Our financial position is strong. This year alone, we held 13 employee appreciation events across the country at various amusement parks; we provided employees with an annual raise; all employees received a holiday gift card and a Christmas bonus; and the Company donated thousands to assist employees affected by hurricane Florence in North Carolina.

Valley Proteins, Inc. is a family owned business operating since 1949. Over the past 70 years we have grown to become an industry leader in Rendering. We have achieved this level of success because we surround ourselves with dedicated hard-working people. Thank you for joining our team and please do not hesitate to contact your manager, HR, or even the company’s owners if you have concerns.  more...

HR Manager

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley Proteins. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7