Valley Proteins Employee Reviews in Winchester, VA

Horrible place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 22, 2019
Management is a joke. Very unprofessional towards employees.
The equipment is complete junk and constantly broken.
Drivers are treated poorly by management and very overwhelmed with work daily.
Pay is a joke for what is required of you.
was a really great palce
Wash house operator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 3, 2019
place was great was outside by myself doin my own thing, was a fun job to do, people was great the money was great,if i could go back i would,but trying new things
May 13, 2019

We appreciate the helpful feedback! Thank you for serving Valley Proteins with a positive attitude, and we are pleased to hear that you were fairly compensated for your work. We wish you good luck on your future professional endeavors.

- Dan

Excellent place to work
Director of Program Management (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 21, 2019
Wonderful family owned business with great benefits. The company cares about its employees and ensures its employees are well compensated for their hard work.
Pros
Great pay for the area, friendly environment and flexibility
An OK starter company to get experience in CDL Class A
CDL-A Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 15, 2018
Pay & Managment- VP has recently switched their Class-A drivers from hourly to "Load Pay". This has made many if the drivers so upset they are quitting or about ready to quit driving for VP. There are some instances where you will be making money hourly but the company will put you on unskilled labor which is a good bit lower from their past hourly pay for drivers. Unskilled labor in instances where you are driving in heavy slow moving traffic.
The drivers were told when the switch was made they would be making the same amount of money or more with the new load pay system, which isn't the case. Drivers have ask for a meeting with management about the issue but management has only given them the runaround and refuses to meet with drivers to resolve the issue. The company doesn't seem to care at about losing longtime experienced drivers.

Equipment- From what I have seen the equipment at VP is in poor to fair condition. Trailers with damaged landing gear, damaged/improper /malfunctioning lights. Tractors are not properly maintained, some are scary to drive. Plant equipment is in poor repair/condition and breaks down often. This causes drivers to have long waits to unload. I would classify VP as an unsafe working environment and unsafe to other drivers on the road due to equipment that's in disrepair.

Conclusion - From what I have experienced, VP is either going through a serious financial crisis or is trying to maximize profits at the expense of employees health, safety, and financial stability.
Pros
New drivers can get experience.
Cons
Company greed, unsafe equipment, low/unpredictable pay
December 21, 2018

While we appreciate all comments, this one is simply not true.

We are blessed to have a lot of great people working very hard for the company. We appreciate each of them and to reward them we implemented load pay. Drivers are now earning more than they did before.

Drivers are not quitting over load pay. The average Valley Proteins, Inc. driver has been with the Company at least 7 years, and over 110 of our drivers have been with us for over 10 years. We offer drivers the opportunity to have a rewarding career and they have shown their appreciation by remaining with the company.

We do not have unsafe equipment. We regularly maintain and renew our equipment, and over the next two months alone, we will be obtaining 80 new Cascadia II Freightliner trucks. We are dedicated to maintaining a safe fleet because we value our employees and our communities.

Our financial position is strong. This year alone, we held 13 employee appreciation events across the country at various amusement parks; we provided employees with an annual raise; all employees received a holiday gift card and a Christmas bonus; and the Company donated thousands to assist employees affected by hurricane Florence in North Carolina.

Valley Proteins, Inc. is a family owned business operating since 1949. Over the past 70 years we have grown to become an industry leader in Rendering. We have achieved this level of success because we surround ourselves with dedicated hard-working people. Thank you for joining our team and please do not hesitate to contact your manager, HR, or even the company’s owners if you have concerns.  more...

-Dan

Customer Care
Customer Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 21, 2018
Very close knit and friendly work environment; working with them was a lot of fun and not only did we do our jobs, we formed teams that really brought out the best in every one of us to complete our tasks.
Love my job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 30, 2018
I work in Customer Service at the corporate office in Winchester, Virginia. We love working with management, the plant personnel in all of our plants, and our customers. I can really say our department works as a team to make sure the work is evenly distributed, and the stress stays as low as possible. Yes, there are busy days, but management rewards us when they see us working hard. Our department has a lot of fun, but we always get the job done. I am honestly proud to work for a "green" company, and all of my interactions with the owners, especially JJ, have been positive and informative. I can't speak for other departments or positions - but I love my job and the people I work with.
Pros
Great team atmosphere
Cons
We don't always work with people that want to put the customer first
October 18, 2018

We pride ourselves on delivering great customer service, and you and the customer service team are appreciated for making that happen! Like you said, all of our team members are working very hard to get job done. It is great to hear that our effort to provide a rewarding place to work has made a difference for you. Thank you for sharing how much you enjoy working for us.

- Dan
HR Manager

Customer service is the best department.
Customer service / Chinese Translator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 7, 2018
A typical work day will be busy, never a moment that has nothing to do. I have learn that tram work is very important, and that also help to get the job done faster. Co- worker are always nice, everyone also help each other out in the office. The hardest part is explain to the customer, they have call to late to have the service within 24 hours.
August 14, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We work hard to provide a rewarding career and our Customer Service team is a big part of our success! I know we work for a great Company and have great people working very hard for us, and it is extra rewarding to hear that directly from one of our own. Thank you for all of your hard work and for your contributions to the Valley Proteins family!

Stressful but Rewarding
Corporate office employee (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 18, 2017
I feel Valley Proteins is a very good company to work for. It is at times stressful but the what job isn't. I feel the company/owners value the employees and acknowledge a job well done.
Pros
This company gives Christmas bonuses, pay, team atmosphere
Cons
high stress
February 9, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your five-star feedback! Like you said, it’s a rewarding environment to work in. We’re a family-owned organization with a pretty incredible team. That’s why every year we look to acknowledge the hard work that everyone puts in by throwing Company picnics and offering bonuses. Thanks for being a special part of it. Why else do you love working here? We would love to hear more. Please send any additional feedback to: HR@VALLEYPROTEINS.COM.

Dan
Valley Proteins - Human Resource Manager

Great family run business
Management (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 21, 2017
Valley Proteins is a great place to work. All teams are hard at work doing the best that they can to reach their goals. Each member is essential and the Company offers decent wages and benefits for their efforts. Our rapid growth brings challenges, and the team is eager to take them on. Because what we do is so important to the community and the environment, those that stick with us, stay for a long time.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Team Members
Cons
Customers drive our schedules
Don't Stop to Apply Here
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 13, 2017
The absolute worst place. Promise you advancement, better pay, and better working conditions. Forget about that. The only people who advance are management who look out for each other. Dedication means zero. When it's your time to go, you are gone. Nasty work, nasty conditions, blood, guts, inclement weather, all hours. "Don't worry, get it done." This is a family owned company owned by two brothers who treat you like dirt. HR is a joke. The HR director shut down the last place he worked. If you already work here, you are already looking for another job.
Pros
The owners get rich on your back.
Cons
The owners get rich on your back.
Stay Clear of This Company
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 30, 2016
Clique related environment. If you don't fit in the clique you are nothing. Loyalty and good work mean nothing to those in management unless it serves their purpose. Management is manipulative and underhanded. This company touts that it cares about it's employees and their well being but it does not. All the owners of this company care about is working individuals until they have nothing more to offer to keep their garages loaded with Mercedes, BMWs and Ferraris. They will use you and abuse you then cast you aside.
Pros
Cons
Everything.
na
Route Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 16, 2016
I will not say anything good or bad about the company. Different people have different experiences. Do not want to influence others decision.
Stinky Job
Sewage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 11, 2015
this job involves you to deal with rotten meat. Every week I had a different infection from rotten meat. if you like stinky, you will like this job.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
dirty job
Working for Valley Proteins has been an absolute pleasure.
Major Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 10, 2015
Working for Valley Proteins has been an absolute pleasure over the past couple of years. The management here is great and have taken notice of my desire for more responsibility and advancement within the company. I have been promoted multiple times in just the 2 years I have been with the company.
Great work atmosphere
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 17, 2015
Get past the smell and the job was great. The smell is because it is an animal rendering company and, well, it isn't always pleasant. My job was IT, Infrastructure and help desk support. With, at that time, 14 remote locations across the US, work was interesting and somewhat diverse.
Pros
Travel, several interesting people.
Cons
When outside or near the rendering building it smelled a bit.