Valley Proteins Employee Review

View all Valley Proteins reviews

An OK starter company to get experience in CDL Class A
CDL-A Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 15, 2018
Pay & Managment- VP has recently switched their Class-A drivers from hourly to "Load Pay". This has made many if the drivers so upset they are quitting or about ready to quit driving for VP. There are some instances where you will be making money hourly but the company will put you on unskilled labor which is a good bit lower from their past hourly pay for drivers. Unskilled labor in instances where you are driving in heavy slow moving traffic.
The drivers were told when the switch was made they would be making the same amount of money or more with the new load pay system, which isn't the case. Drivers have ask for a meeting with management about the issue but management has only given them the runaround and refuses to meet with drivers to resolve the issue. The company doesn't seem to care at about losing longtime experienced drivers.

Equipment- From what I have seen the equipment at VP is in poor to fair condition. Trailers with damaged landing gear, damaged/improper /malfunctioning lights. Tractors are not properly maintained, some are scary to drive. Plant equipment is in poor repair/condition and breaks down often. This causes drivers to have long waits to unload. I would classify VP as an unsafe working environment and unsafe to other drivers on the road due to equipment that's in disrepair.

Conclusion - From what I have experienced, VP is either going through a serious financial crisis or is trying to maximize profits at the expense of employees health, safety, and financial stability.
Pros
New drivers can get experience.
Cons
Company greed, unsafe equipment, low/unpredictable pay
Official response from Valley Proteins
December 21, 2018

While we appreciate all comments, this one is simply not true.

We are blessed to have a lot of great people working very hard for the company. We appreciate each of them and to reward them we implemented load pay. Drivers are now earning more than they did before.

Drivers are not quitting over load pay. The average Valley Proteins, Inc. driver has been with the Company at least 7 years, and over 110 of our drivers have been with us for over 10 years. We offer drivers the opportunity to have a rewarding career and they have shown their appreciation by remaining with the company.

We do not have unsafe equipment. We regularly maintain and renew our equipment, and over the next two months alone, we will be obtaining 80 new Cascadia II Freightliner trucks. We are dedicated to maintaining a safe fleet because we value our employees and our communities.

Our financial position is strong. This year alone, we held 13 employee appreciation events across the country at various amusement parks; we provided employees with an annual raise; all employees received a holiday gift card and a Christmas bonus; and the Company donated thousands to assist employees affected by hurricane Florence in North Carolina.

Valley Proteins, Inc. is a family owned business operating since 1949. Over the past 70 years we have grown to become an industry leader in Rendering. We have achieved this level of success because we surround ourselves with dedicated hard-working people. Thank you for joining our team and please do not hesitate to contact your manager, HR, or even the company‚Äôs owners if you have concerns.  more...

-Dan

HR Manager

Other Valley Proteins Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Driver (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAAugust 22, 2019
Management is a joke. Very unprofessional towards employees.
The equipment is complete junk and constantly broken.
Drivers are treated poorly by management and very overwhelmed with work daily.
Pay is a joke for what is required of you.
Machine operator and working on the ramp
Machine Operator working on ramp (Former Employee) –  Rose Hill, NCAugust 19, 2019
I learned how to work most of the machine and how to get along with others very well and my job was machine operator and working on the ramp I really enjoy that.
Cons
Healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley Proteins. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7