Valley Proteins Employee Reviews

Good Job
Waste water operator (Current Employee) –  NCMarch 5, 2019
Pretty good job, pays the bills & you get some days off. The management they put in place could use some training. But overall pretty good place to work at.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Benefits, Management
Company lacks in all areas
Cooker Operator/Lead Man/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rose Hill, NCMarch 3, 2019
Taking a look back on my journey from Valley I am very glad I worked with and left the company. If i had not worked there I would not have people in my corner that I trust. Which was very few from that company by the way. I worked very hard there each and every day giving it 100 percent even when feeling bad. This company nor the management care about their workers; which is the blood and soul of what drives and makes money. I can recall a lityle over 5 years ago my wife had a miscarriage and i stayed out of work and upon returning 2 days later I had been written up and told the baby was of no kin to me so I had to be written up. Strange right? It was at that point i knew i could no linger stay there becuase I knew at that instance my worth to that company. Being forced to work two shifts becuase they could not hire and keep people. So when I stayed out after being worked into the groundi had been written up on my regular scheduled off days. After all the work and life sacrifices I made to work there I was promoted only to be demoted for a guy off the street that had zero experience in that environment. Gave him a salary and which was double what I was making. The last write up they gave me set it in stone that I would leave there was for quote sabotaging a shut down. If anyone knows the operation how can you sweep out a cooker full of hotdogs with chicken offal? You can not it will only turn to mush and flood out your discharge screws. After demoting me they did not have a supervisor to start up the plant. So when I refused to I was called all kinds pf names  more... behind closed doors. Basically they wanted me to have supervisor responsiblity and run the cooker for $16 hr. I would be a fool to do that. It takes a speacial type of characteristic to work there and the loyal hard working employees that they had will most likely never return. And what they have now is what they dod to themselves. I will not speak on the safety violations its just to much to list. With all of that said dont let my experience stop you from working there. Experiences can vary person to person.  less
Pros
Do work very few in the nation does
Cons
Too much to list
Excellent place to work
Director of Program Management (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 21, 2019
Wonderful family owned business with great benefits. The company cares about its employees and ensures its employees are well compensated for their hard work.
Pros
Great pay for the area, friendly environment and flexibility
Like all companies
employee (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TX 79118January 30, 2019
Just like all companies, there is stuff you have to deal with, this is a very good company advancement is easy dedication is a must. It’s not perfect, but what company is? Pay is awesome.
Fast and erratic production, managers and supervisors on your back all the time!
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Linkwood, MDJanuary 4, 2019
I don't like working here.When you get sick they take your PAB, write you up even when someone passes away in your family. I do not approve of this situation at all. This company is too strict. They should be more lenient to employees.
Pros
Work six days a week.
Cons
Health care, can't go to church.
An OK starter company to get experience in CDL Class A
CDL-A Driver (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 15, 2018
Pay & Managment- VP has recently switched their Class-A drivers from hourly to "Load Pay". This has made many if the drivers so upset they are quitting or about ready to quit driving for VP. There are some instances where you will be making money hourly but the company will put you on unskilled labor which is a good bit lower from their past hourly pay for drivers. Unskilled labor in instances where you are driving in heavy slow moving traffic.
The drivers were told when the switch was made they would be making the same amount of money or more with the new load pay system, which isn't the case. Drivers have ask for a meeting with management about the issue but management has only given them the runaround and refuses to meet with drivers to resolve the issue. The company doesn't seem to care at about losing longtime experienced drivers.

Equipment- From what I have seen the equipment at VP is in poor to fair condition. Trailers with damaged landing gear, damaged/improper /malfunctioning lights. Tractors are not properly maintained, some are scary to drive. Plant equipment is in poor repair/condition and breaks down often. This causes drivers to have long waits to unload. I would classify VP as an unsafe working environment and unsafe to other drivers on the road due to equipment that's in disrepair.

Conclusion - From what I have experienced, VP is either going through a serious financial crisis or is trying to maximize profits at the expense of employees health, safety, and financial stability.
Pros
New drivers can get experience.
Cons
Company greed, unsafe equipment, low/unpredictable pay
December 21, 2018

While we appreciate all comments, this one is simply not true.

We are blessed to have a lot of great people working very hard for the company. We appreciate each of them and to reward them we implemented load pay. Drivers are now earning more than they did before.

Drivers are not quitting over load pay. The average Valley Proteins, Inc. driver has been with the Company at least 7 years, and over 110 of our drivers have been with us for over 10 years. We offer drivers the opportunity to have a rewarding career and they have shown their appreciation by remaining with the company.

We do not have unsafe equipment. We regularly maintain and renew our equipment, and over the next two months alone, we will be obtaining 80 new Cascadia II Freightliner trucks. We are dedicated to maintaining a safe fleet because we value our employees and our communities.

Our financial position is strong. This year alone, we held 13 employee appreciation events across the country at various amusement parks; we provided employees with an annual raise; all employees received a holiday gift card and a Christmas bonus; and the Company donated thousands to assist employees affected by hurricane Florence in North Carolina.

Valley Proteins, Inc. is a family owned business operating since 1949. Over the past 70 years we have grown to become an industry leader in Rendering. We have achieved this level of success because we surround ourselves with dedicated hard-working people. Thank you for joining our team and please do not hesitate to contact your manager, HR, or even the company’s owners if you have concerns.  more...

HR Manager

Very professional and great place to work
General Manager (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXNovember 4, 2018
I have been with the company 2 years and it is a great place to work. The company has great resources and is very helpful on your success. They treat everyone with the upmost respect.
December 21, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Our Company is a great company to work for! We know our employees are working hard for us; the least we can do is help them be successful. Thank you for your two years of service.

General labor
Pant Operator (Former Employee) –  Veribest, TXOctober 28, 2018
It is a good starting job in the maintenance field, learn a lot, but very dirty and way under paid for the work load. Good for someone new and trying to learn, not an old man's job
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
to many hours
December 21, 2018

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We provide a unique opportunity for maintenance workers: You will work on specialized equipment in an industry that never slows down. As a result you will be able to grow and develop your skills. A lot of our maintenance workers have rewarding careers with us and we hope you do to.

Dan,

poor place to work for
cooker operator (Former Employee) –  Rose Hill, NCOctober 21, 2018
this is a very terrible place to work for. The management sucks and the work hours as well. You can never have time to spend with your family because you are always working.
Pros
the pay is good
Cons
lack of communication
December 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and I will make sure management gets your review. Our Industry has no shortage of work and our customers are counting on us to be there for them. We strive to be transparent and communicate clearly when overtime is required as soon as possible. I am glad you were satisfied with your pay. We understand great people are working hard for us and we want to provide them with a rewarding paycheck. Thank you for your service with us.

HR Manager

Will sell you sunshine but deliver snow storm
Driver (Current Employee) –  Linkwood,MDOctober 15, 2018
Like it has been said, lots of promises but no delivery. Paid by the load but some nights you will spend all night waiting in empty trailers at the plant and only make ten dollars an hour. Serious lack of management communication. It’s a circus with too many ring leaders.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We are working to address your concerns in several ways: We are adding additional trailers to reduce turn around times, our load pay is being enhanced, and we have increased driver pay because we know how hard our drivers are working for us. Thank you for being a driver for our company and we hope these changes provide you with a rewarding experience.

productive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, AROctober 3, 2018
working with this company they did not get parts to put in inventory everything had to be ordered on a as needed basis
i know that this isnt what i applied for
November 5, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. Because we have over 65,000 parts in our system, most of our ordering is done automatically by the computer. Our dedicated maintenance teams are working hard to keep our manufacturing plants running smoothly and there can be delays with recording all of the parts that were used for repairs. Thank you for helping us keep accurate records in the computer system.

Dan,
HR Manager

Management waiting too retire.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 26, 2018
Not a honest place to work. The company cut so many benefits it's hard to keep employees. So the management team puts pressure on any employee that stays to cover work there coworkers previously did. Baltimore has too many unqualified supervisors and managers to figure out the company's problems so you get nothing but over agression
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are dedicated to providing meaningful benefits for our employees and in 2018 we were able to reduce our healthcare premiums by as much as 14%. Additionally, we value promoting from within and a lot of our supervisors started their career with us as drivers. Their continued development is important to us and we are offering a management development course.

Customer Care
Customer Accounts Representative (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 21, 2018
Very close knit and friendly work environment; working with them was a lot of fun and not only did we do our jobs, we formed teams that really brought out the best in every one of us to complete our tasks.
Its a good place to work. Good atmosphere, work is not hard to do.
Shag Driver (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 30, 2018
Just dress warm in winter cause it can get cold, and in the summer time drink plenty of water. Plus just b ready cause we have work year round which is a good thing.
Pros
Its in town close to home
Cons
Stinky, nasty smell
October 18, 2018

Your feedback is appreciated. Our industry will always have work to do and it doesn’t slow down. Thank you for all of your hard work!

- Dan

Love my job!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 30, 2018
I work in Customer Service at the corporate office in Winchester, Virginia. We love working with management, the plant personnel in all of our plants, and our customers. I can really say our department works as a team to make sure the work is evenly distributed, and the stress stays as low as possible. Yes, there are busy days, but management rewards us when they see us working hard. Our department has a lot of fun, but we always get the job done. I am honestly proud to work for a "green" company, and all of my interactions with the owners, especially JJ, have been positive and informative. I can't speak for other departments or positions - but I love my job and the people I work with.
Pros
Great team atmosphere
Cons
We don't always work with people that want to put the customer first
October 18, 2018

We pride ourselves on delivering great customer service, and you and the customer service team are appreciated for making that happen! Like you said, all of our team members are working very hard to get job done. It is great to hear that our effort to provide a rewarding place to work has made a difference for you. Thank you for sharing how much you enjoy working for us.

- Dan

Life at Valley sucks
Clerical (Current Employee) –  NCJuly 19, 2018
Valley has its ups and downs. Management sucks. Corporate is rude and unprofessional. They think that because they are in a higher position that they are above everyone when the truth is we all work for the same men. A title doesn't mean anything. They will hire just about anybody. Insurance is ok. Most of our guys work 6-7 days a week. If you have a family this is not the place for you. They do not care about employees. They will pay you the bottom dollar and work the mess out of you.
Pros
vacation days, 401k match program
Cons
hours worked, hardly any holidays off
August 14, 2018

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Feedback like this is valued and shared with management so that we can take a close look at all of our opportunities for improvement.

As you know, we are a family-owned business that wants everyone to feel appreciated. This is why we hold annual picnics that celebrate employee tenure, why we offer Christmas bonuses each year, and why we offer regular bonuses and merit increases. We do this because we do care about our employees, and strive to reward all of their hard work with a comprehensive package, that includes the insurance that you like and other benefits. I am confident we will come to meet your expectations and offer you more of those ups you mentioned.

If you would like to provide more feedback, you can always contact us directly at hr@valleyproteins.com

Customer service is the best department.
Customer service / Chinese Translator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJuly 7, 2018
A typical work day will be busy, never a moment that has nothing to do. I have learn that tram work is very important, and that also help to get the job done faster. Co- worker are always nice, everyone also help each other out in the office. The hardest part is explain to the customer, they have call to late to have the service within 24 hours.
August 14, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We work hard to provide a rewarding career and our Customer Service team is a big part of our success! I know we work for a great Company and have great people working very hard for us, and it is extra rewarding to hear that directly from one of our own. Thank you for all of your hard work and for your contributions to the Valley Proteins family!

Consistent hours, graphic environment, overall pleasant job
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Veribest, TXJune 6, 2018
With only three months working my current position I am pleased with the job. Once the initial shock of the product being dealt with has subsided, the work is easily done. Compensation is more than fair, with the opportunity for raises. Benefits are absolutely amazing, with a substantial amount of options. Equipment is new and in good working condition. Hours required to work are favorable for drivers with the option to work more if requested. Uniforms are required to be worn. Overall I think Valley Proteins is a great place to work, they work with you in many different aspects. I plan on being here for a reasonable amount of time if not for the rest of my driving career.
Pros
Consistency, compensation, safety
Cons
Graphic product, uniforms
June 25, 2018

Thank you so much for the feedback. It is great to hear that you are happy with the compensation package and feel the benefits are “absolutely amazing”. Valley Proteins strives to provide a complete compensation package that rewards all of the hard work our employees are putting in. Rendering is an industry working behind the scenes that is essential to maintaining a sustainable future. Take pride in what you are doing, and we look forward to having you work for us for the rest of your driving career!

Productive enviironment
TRUCK SHOP MACHANIC/FABRICATOR (Current Employee) –  VERIBST TXJune 5, 2018
Great place to work, family oriented,benefits are great. They also have incentives such as p.A.B. Which is perfect attendance bonus each week. Would recommend to others to apply.
Pros
Benefits, Steady work
Cons
It may smell a bit but nothing you cant get used to
June 25, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It’s great to hear that we have been able to provide you with a satisfying work experience and that you would recommend Valley Proteins to others. Because we are a family run business, offering great benefits and a weekly attendance bonus is how we try to show our appreciation for all of the hard work our employees are putting in. Never hesitate to provide us with your feedback, so we can continue to bring our A-game to you, every day!

Yep its another day in paradise.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Linville, VAMay 8, 2018
Typical day in work, is not a typical day at work. Management is what it is, and will always be! The most enjoyable part was having an office to myself.
June 1, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We welcome feedback so that we can continue to grow and provide positive working experiences. I am glad you enjoyed your private office! If you think of anything else to share, please feel free to send an anonymous email to hr@valleyproteins.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valley Proteins. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7