Valmont Industries Employee Reviews

Code Structural Welder (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 13, 2018
Arrive to work, immediately attend a daily meeting, where you are told the companies information about the previous work day and then followed by a reminder to stay in your area and work from buzzer to buzzer. I stay busy and I've learned a lot about the industry from my coworkers whom are all very easy to get along with, which is probably the most enjoyable part of the job. The hardest part of the job is putting up with the management of that company that treat the shop as a modern day sweat shop.
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible management
A real career
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74120October 24, 2018
I loved my time at Valmont. This is a real career. Working here made me feel like i was back in America again. This job gave me hope in my future. Stan Courtney was the best boss i've ever had. This company keeps it's promise to hire good temps. There's always room for promotion at Valmont and everyone gets a fair shake. All your tools and PPE are provided for you. Coworkers treated me like i mattered. i was proud to wear my work jersey outside of the shop to let everyone know where i work. I'd be proud to work there again someday.
Pros
Good pay, Great hours, good management, good benefits, team environment
Cons
50+ hours/week
Frequent Lay-offs
Gearbox Level 1 Operator (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEOctober 9, 2018
Valmont isn't a factory so much as a sprawling campus. Each building ends up as a small factory in itself. I worked in a CNC shop and it had a small shop feel. Run primarily by a lead, the supervisor would show up once a night. The jobs weren't physically taxing, but there was enough of a challenge to keep the job from being a boring drag. I would still be there except...they lay off every year. I was told only those who had been there 10 years would survive the lay-off cut. One of my biggest regrets is not accepting the recall after 6 months, but that's the point. Who can afford a 6 month layoff every year or so? Good culture, good job, relaxed management style, and lots of lay-offs.
Pros
The Cafeteria - awesome breakfast
Cons
Annual lay-off
Good people to work with
Brake Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 12, 2018
The main part I hated was driving an hour every day to and from work. I always worked night shifts, because it just always seemed easier to deal with when I had daily things to handle. The management was excellent 15, years ago and then it just fell apart from the top down. In the beginng it's all good moving spot to spot. Then you get stuck with office personnel that doesn't know the safety and people get hurt. I loved the insurance Valmont has but when they layedoff the hole weekend night shift, that was just a big mistake.
Management changes have ruined the company
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 9, 2018
has been a good place to work until recent management changes that have taken a huge impact on overall moral and employee relations. Communication from management to employees has become less than desirable and job security isn't as certain as it once was.
Pros
compensation is good and benifits are very comparable
Cons
expectations are more than obtainable
This place is a joke!
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Claremore, OKAugust 20, 2018
I worked very closely with many of the managers of all departments. This place is extremely cutthroat and the managers will throw you under the bus as much as they can if it means keeping themselves out of trouble. Their attitudes towards applicants and their employees is disgraceful. These managers are so two-faced it's pathetic. I was actually planning on quitting this place before I was let go so they saved me the trouble and I was only there for about a month if that tells you anything! I have nothing good to say about this facility.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
Office politics. Safety not enforced.Welders favored over other employees.
Dumphole factory, all about the numbers noone cares about quality around here..have to record every move you make during your shift.
Welder (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, INAugust 20, 2018
WALK AWAY DONT EVEN ATTEMPT TO PUT IN AN APP HERE!!! This place will run you into the ground make you hate your life and have you looking for another job in a week
Pros
Come in and leave the same time every day, co workers are a pretty good group of guys everyone hates this place together lol
Cons
Management has no idea what's going on on the floor, constantly lied to, literally the worst equipment ive ever seen, stuff breaks and its rigged up till it breaks again, Overtime is scarce, used to get 8 hrs ot a week, then that disappeared, ot is only offered to day shift, so if your on nights goodluck making any extra money, treated like dirt nobody cares about you at ALL
Fun place to work at
Anodizer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 26, 2018
It was always busy daily and you always had something to do, I learned allot of things from Valmont such as anodizing what is anodizing crane operation, the right way to rack the parts, the work place was comfortable to work, everyone was friendly with everyone it’s a good working environment
Pros
Free lunches, great people to work with
Cons
It was hot, and steamy
Dont work here
Welder (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, INAugust 20, 2018
This is the most crooked and one sided place I have ever worked there is osha violations around every corner like the roof leaking and extensions cords and wires running through the puddles. The management is terrible they will mess with your pay every chance they possibly get. And will not listen to anything ideas you have to make production better because "we are just factory workers".
Fantastic Employer
Robotic Welder / Welder (Former Employee) –  McCook, NEAugust 1, 2018
This job was a great employment opportunity. I had to relocate and Valmont did not have a facility where I moved. Bummer. The only difficult part was the long hours during busy season. 50-70 hrs a week. For me it was ok but I didn't have family so that could be tough for some. Overall I would work for Valmont again any anytime and I would recommend them to anyone. Great benefits with profit sharing and plenty of OT.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
long hours during busy season
Job was enjoyable but alot of drug users
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lindon, UTOctober 11, 2018
Once highered on it was an ejoyable experience but noticed each week a new set of people would either quit after 1 week of work and notice an alarming amount of drug users on job site which made the position uncomfortable to work in.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Drug users, 20 min lunch no breaks in total of 8 hours of work
Contradicting management and training
Pole polisher (Former Employee) –  Farmington, MNJuly 25, 2018
Trained with multiple people, all with variations of how they do things, often contradicting others. Then management would come along to tell you you're doing it all wrong. Management was abrasive and aggressive with one even throwing a tool to express their frustration with method used (due to contradictory training).

Management seriously needs to be replaced.
Pros
Pay is decent
Cons
Long hours of 10-12 hours per day, 5+ days per week
Probably still a fun place to work
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Valley, NEJuly 15, 2018
I worked in a nasty, smelly, dirty, smokey, and noisy environment....with some of the nicest people on the planet. Most everyone pitched in to help others, joked around (within reason) and generally made the work more bearable.
Some departments in the factory were obviously easier than others, but everyone I came in contact with was curious about my job, proud of their job and proud of the company they worked for.
Pros
Still has that family-owned business atmosphere in Valley, Ne
Cons
Factory environment and language might not be a fit for everyone
Great work experience!
Welder/Fabricator, Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  El Dorado, KSJuly 29, 2018
This company has been one of my best work experience's yet. They have a great work culture and the management team is on the right track for becoming the best fabrication shops in the world! A must for any welder that wants to advance in the metal fabrication industry! This is an A-Plus company!
Pros
They promote from within
Cons
Hours are long 45-60 hrs / week
Its an ok-ish place to work
Lead Quality Inspector (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74110October 25, 2018
Overall not a bad company to work for. Benefits are decent. You do work long hours and management doesn't seem to care about you, your just a number, but that's everywhere you go now a days.
Pros
Love the coworkers
Cons
every year gets worse and worse, somewhat of a stressful environment
A very challenging and interesting place to work
QA / QC Manager (Current Employee) –  West Hazleton, PA 18202December 3, 2018
Review of emails and production schedule for any customer needs, production problems and quality team issues.
Be on shop floor to ensure that the quality system is being followed by production and quality.
Perform inspections of product and audit inspection team as well as welders.
Return to office to report findings of that day.
Review scrap tag information to determine if the cause can be prevented.
Generate the FPY of final product and circumferential welds.
This information is displayed in the form Excel plots and posted.
Create quality alerts for any issues found on production floor or found by customers.
Provide training to welders in areas of fit-up, welding and inspection.
Maintain records of material test reports, travelers and part dispositions.
Pros
A great deal of different processes and oppertunities that you are exposed to everyday
Cons
Quick responses to any problems is rather slow.
Productive and great place to work
Regional Controller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 1, 2018
I had a very competent and extremely nice manager. I enjoyed coming to work every day because of my manager and I also thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers.

It has a great workplace culture with a family environment.

I would recommend Valmont to anyone.
made us work way to much overtime and not enough family time.
welder and safety rep. (Former Employee) –  Valley, NESeptember 5, 2018
the big bosses had us working 10 hr days 7 days a week for 6 months.
management need to improve on communication. had to call in sick for my own wedding because the boss wouldnt approve my vacation.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
not alot of time off for family time
very nice place to work. i just experienced poor management that lead my division to close
Field Services Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 7, 2018
plenty of overtime. excellent benefits. good pay, flexible schedule if needed. worked with multiple people and all were very good at the jobs given to them.
Pros
see above
Cons
let go due to no more division
Wouldnt recommend it
Welder (Current Employee) –  Valley, NESeptember 20, 2018
they absolutely do not value employees they work you to death and don't care about your home life and family life. All they care about is their bottom line and they will drop you like a bad habit if they start to get slow
Cons
work you to death without any regard for family life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valmont Industries. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about