VALUE CITY Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
It was easy
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 7, 2018
Value city i been there for 5 years it was a cool busy especially Christmas time when customers went shopping i received a 20 percent discount for working there
Cons
Loved working and learning .
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 3, 2018
Great team members and management to work with. Enjoyed the company. Enjoyed the work atmosphere. Lover learning about my area, the Jewelry Department .
Pros
Great team members . Great classed
Stressful environment
SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJune 25, 2018
Lack of communication from upper management. Stressful environment. Always short staffed. Eliminated company 401k match and profit sharing. Definely have to be able to manage your time as always short staffed.
Productive and fun
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 23, 2018
Great place to work good leaders great location great supervisor friendly co workers great up to date equipment employed by value ciy furniture shipping is the best
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Worst company I’ve ever worked for
Home Furnishing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Burbank, ILJune 22, 2018
Communication amongst management team is terrible. The corporate office is more concerned with profit than the employee. There are no performance incentives and bonuses are non existent.
Pros
Off days
Cons
Name it
Nothing good
Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJune 18, 2018
It was a foul job that I took because I had just gotten back into the workforce after being a stay-at-home father. For the most part the co-coworkers were good but the management stank.
hard working conditions
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, PAJune 14, 2018
Hard to get help with low wages for the work needed. Good prospects could not pass strength tests due to company qualifying score set for store level, while distribution had lower qualifying scores
Too long ago
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 13, 2018
I do not remember it was too long ago. I made friends with co-workers and showed customers where to find items they needed. Management was not terrible.
Good job
Furniture Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2018
This is a good job but hr isnt very considerate of its employees. I was fired right after having my son and then told that I couldn't come back for a completely made up excuse.
Hard work
Mover/Packer (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 11, 2018
Though job hard work moving furniture, I don't even know if there still on alum creek it was a long time ago just a good general labor job really moving couches and things
Review
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJune 7, 2018
Working here was great, other employers were awesome to work with, management is good. Hours werent terribke even when it was slow. Flexible schedule and hours
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Management is one sided
Cultural Identity Crisis
Merchandising Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2018
This company used to be run like it was family owned and was very concerned about its employees. Recently, the company no longer knows its identity nor who its customers are. As a result, the entire organization has had a complete overhaul all due to lack of leadership at the top. Good people, who have worked there 15 years or more, are forced out daily, the same people who helped get this family to where they are today.
Does not pay the best unless your in supervisory/management role or on the road delivering
Home Delivery (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 3, 2018
Very high turnover rate at the regular starting dock positions and the starting pay is not very competitive. Good benefits though. Paid sick and vacation days after one year of employment. Offers 401K with no match. They do have a nice break room for dock workers. Also a very high turnover rate at the Delivery center GM position. The company is not very transparent about anything. All the changes in management created a lack of focus on a true path to correct numerous issues and a lack of structure.
Pros
Good benifits and nice break room
Cons
Does not pay competitively and not enough structure
Does not appreciate Employees
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INMay 30, 2018
After being in a position for 10 years it was eliminated and was given the opportunity to take a different role. Employees are just numbers to this large company and they have no investment in you as an individual.
High energy
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Newark, OHMay 30, 2018
A typical day would be just to do returns of merchandise and help customers. I learned a lot of skills here how to manage the registers, and close up the store. The most enjoyable was the co workers they were amazing. the hardest was dealing with really irate
Gone but not forgotten Value City
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 22, 2018
My day usually starts off with a look at my department to see the area that needs the work most. Learning from working there was always thinking quick about decisions daily, and building good relationships with the team. Management there was quite easygoing and not as abrasive compared to most they leaned on you a lot, but things got done efficiently. If ever there was the word to describe family we had it things were done we all leaned on each other to get things done.
Our closing on the nights was the hardest to do there we would get so much product on returns it was overwhelming. The best thing about this job was seeing the people I worked with daily through the sweat.
Pros
Having to get a chance to make something positive
Cons
Always being understaffed and running lane is a must
Very productive
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 22, 2018
I loved that job. It was a relaxing/fast paced place. I would recommend this job to anyone. Everyone was nice. It was an amazing experience working there.
Horrible place to work
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 16, 2018
Do not work for the West Broad Richmond store! The store is corrupt with terrible customer service and ghetto employees. If you come from any kind of class and sophistication, they will not like you. The only good thing about the company is the compensation but for the pay, you have to put up with alot of nonsense. Product is never in stock. Special orders are always pushed back, customers are always upset and THEN you have to deal with sales people that have no real talent and just take orders WITH ATTITUDE. On top of that, you'll work majority closing shifts and will not have a work life balance at all. Save your life and make the money some where else. The job is not worth the stress. It is called in the upper echelon of Richmond, "The flea market".

Good luck.
Was a good place to work.
Home Furnishing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OH 44060May 15, 2018
Found that the company was great to work for was just looking for a career with a higher level of income and more ability to grow in my given field. Happy other then that.
vcf
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 11, 2018
Atypical day you come into work and people are calling out what i have learned is patients the work culture is just as bad has management the enjoyable part is the customer and some coworkers.