Valvoline Employee Reviews

n/a
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN 37221April 17, 2019
It was a Great place that prepares you for future positions, great management that takes the time to invest in you. Wonderful training course. Valvoline truly promotes from within
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
shifts
Not what I expected
Assistant Service Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, TNMarch 31, 2019
I worked here for less than a year, the job was not at all what I expected. I was under the impression that my job would consist of more managerial and administrative work, however--99% my job is on the floor.
Pros
Discounts, great people to work with
Cons
Very busy, understaffed, management tells you they "care" but their actions speak louder than their words.
great !
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 29, 2019
Open store get computers up and running .Make sure that store is clean and ready for operation. Make sure that crew is ready to go and discuss our goals for the day. Last thing is to make sure that customer leaves happy and satisfied.
Pros
excellant way to learn how to run the store.
Cool part time job
Certified Technician (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, OHMarch 23, 2019
Great jobs if you like and know about cars. Extremely hot when it’s hot outside, extremely cold when it’s cold. Great training and classes provided to increase knowledge.
Pros
Pays decent with benefits
Cons
Hot in summer. Cold in winter. You will get dirty
Innovative, Collaborative work place
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYMarch 22, 2019
Valvoline is a very collaborative culture. Driven by innovation and employee recognition, Valvoline tries to help its customers improve their businesses.
It's an Ok job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 13, 2019
The job itself is easy to do, as long you are properly trained for the task, which in itself is a hit or miss. Management can either be great, lazy, or just plain hostile and that all depends on the location you are working at. Hours were pretty good. Biggest issue with the job is the pressure to sale and not getting commission on top of that. They tell you it's all about the customers, but don't let that fool you, They only care about sales, sales,sales.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Pressure to sales with no commission
The management is not the best
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 9, 2019
When I first got there the shelves were completely empty the manager that was there he was my boss but he did not know how to do the orders make a schedule he could not figure out the system he couldn't even tell me what was actually wrong with the store why we didn't have much business when I left the store we went from doing 50 cars a day then made a big jump up to 85 cars to 90 cars a day
Cons
Short break
Gave 5 years of my life to this company, it only got worse
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMarch 3, 2019
I was a fool to believe everything they said. Remember if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

-Upper management is a MESS. Just douches in polos making 6 figures, while you do everything to keep the store alive.

-You will be just a number and treated like trash.

-Company preaches values and family like environment, but does NOT follow through with anything.

-They company will always side with customers and those customers know this and will treat you horribly.

-Working at one of the rougher parts of town, we have had multiple death and gun threats and one assault on an employee. Upper management said, "You'll be fine."

-In my time with this company they stole my vacation time when my father died, lost all of my personal info (name, address, social security #), deducted money from my paycheck for health insurance and then told me I had no health insurance and called me a liar about the ordeal (took 6 months, 36 phonecalls, and threatening legal action for me to finally get it and an apology), and they say they have a 401k 5% match yet didn't match the 5%.

-This company has slashed its benefits for employees and taken away bonuses and any incentives (being a salesman with no incentives, commissions, or bonuses sucks when you're really good at it).

-Even if you are a fantastic salesman and great at your job and get full marks for manager reviews, you will be laughed at if you ask for a raise.

-Most days you will be severly understaffed and extremely busy so the company saves on labor cost.

-Some weeks you work 30 hours, some you work 70
  more... hours. You never know. Don't plan on having a life. The company expects Valvoline to be your religion.

-Communication is atrocious. You will find out about a meeting or class you were supposed to be at, the day of or as you clock in.

-They constantly change rules/safety policies and don't like consistency, yet get angry when not followed or will terminate.

-As a member of management at the store level, you have NO power. I.E. it took an employee 7 no call no shows in a row for me to be given the okay to fire him. SEVEN times he didn't show up, disappointed his team, and left us understaffed. THEN we were "given permission" to fire him.

-There is a constant rotation of employees and managers in and out as this company treats its employees like trash and can't fool anyone into staying long.

-You receive the worst, if any, training and then are also expected to go above and beyond doing repairs and jobs that Valvoline doesn't even sell. No training on what to do if you break anything, no training on much really.

-Company also says you are trained under a 160 hour ASE program. This is not true. You will receive no ASE credits and wont receive any kind of quality training because the stores are so understaffed and busy that your training will be rushed to utilize you on the incoming cars.

-Corporate also recently added a ridiculous amount of cameras to every store. Every breathe, step, and word you speak will be monitored. Underneath the cars they have HQ cameras at crotch/butt level. Very very creepy and uncomfortable.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, no lunches on 10+ hr days, SEVERELY understaffed most days, extreme climates, management NEVER knows whats going on, awful communication, any perks you think you will get they steal from you
Fun but stressful at times
Lube Technician (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILFebruary 28, 2019
-Typical day included 5-10 oil changes
-I learned how to work in a automotive shop setting with a strict boss
-Management had his good and bad days
-Workplace culture was based around the other employees trying to help each other instead of asking boss for help
-I was underpaid at $7.25/hour back in 2014
Pros
Fun for car guys, fun to work with other passionate car guys
Cons
Hard boss, not enough pay for work
Fun to work for
Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 23, 2019
It was a great place to work but there was a very high turnover rate at my store. I had 3 different managers in the time I was there. But if they made a decent offer I would consider returning.
Business Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Noblesville, INFebruary 18, 2019
I work on my own, but receive several emails per day from the Salesman that dictate how my day will be spent. I typically start with reading my email, then setting up the customer calls that I will make. From there I will work on problems or issues that arise.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lacking in team
Good place to start your career in automotive industry.
Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 5, 2019
A typical day at work is fun. The staff has to work together to be successful. It can be very fast paced but, you usually have a little down time to get things done that need done.
great job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oak Park Heights, MNJanuary 24, 2019
great starter job, fun atmosphere, easy, lots of chances to move up in the company. gets very busy when short staffed, lots of training for improvement
Pros
flexible hours, lots of training
Cons
short staffed very often
safe, fun , fast
Certified technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 23, 2019
One big rule they have is safety. Always have your safety equipment on even if u are cleaning. A lot of members are fun, and have some knowledge over most cars. although it is fast pasted work almost 100 cars a day so you keep moving.
Pros
allwase on the move and doing something
Cons
small amount of time to work on your book
Fast paced, educating, fun
Automotive Technician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 15, 2019
Had the opportunity to learn about working on cars that I didn't know before, felt like I was part of a team, the hours were great, they were really understanding with family issues, etc.
Pros
good pay and hours
Cons
disorganized at times
decent starting job for younger kids
SENIOR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Springfield, NJJanuary 2, 2019
pay wasn't enough
no compensation or extra incentives to be earned
hours were brutal sometimes
rude customers
lack of supplies or cheap supplies
manager was amazing in my shop
Pros
good experience
Cons
short breaks, health insurance, exra earned pay
good place to work but bad managment
SENIOR TECH (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 1, 2019
the hagerstown manager was not the type of person to be in charge of other people
keeps you on your feet always moving
different cars everyday
short breaks
Pros
different cars all the time
Cons
short breaks, in environmental conditions constantly
Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 17, 2016
loved working there, only reason why I left is that it isn't corporate in Florida from Tennessee. Overall awesome place to work if you are looking for a career with advancement i would encourage anyone who is mechanically inclined and loves working around cars to apply.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
short breaks, strict policy's

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Valvoline. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

2.4Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight