Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc Employee Reviews

Very Supportive Co Workers and Managers
Assisting engineers (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2018
Overalll, a wonderful place to work at! The people were wonderful and made every day enjoyable. Everyone is willing to help you grow and learn. I was unable to find the type of work I wanted to do, which was the only reason I left.
Pros
People
Cons
Highs and Lows for work
Great Place to Work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAMay 23, 2018
Consulting and billable hours are tough. The people are smart and forward thinking. Great opportunities to work on interesting projects. The hours can be long.
Great employer with a focus on professional development and work life balance.
Environmental Scientist III (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAMarch 13, 2018
I have worked for VHB for 5+ years. I constantly receive feedback on my work which allows me to grow and thrive in this community. I'm encouraged to take classes and earn certifications to develop my career and have never had a problem maintaining a work life balance.
A good place to work.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MANovember 26, 2017
VHB was a good place to work, and I was glad to be employed there. If I could have continued to work there I would have but circumstances made that impossible.
Company was great
Data Collection Department Supervisor (Full-Time) (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 17, 2017
The company was great to work for the project managers can be condescending. Hardest part of the job was work hour targets. it was micromanaging by proxie
Good
Transit and Rail Co-op (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 11, 2017
Great management and staff supported each other a lot. Work was enjoyable. There was not enough diversity. It's great that there were women in project management roles, but the majority of the office is white men. The office culture is as you would expect...
VHB does not care about their people.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAJune 18, 2017
VHB management skillfully paints a very positive picture of their corporate culture and high profile projects, but beneath the surface it is often a heartless place to work. Their marketing department puts forth an exemplary effort in showcasing the firm's multidisciplinary prowess. There are many outstanding performers here and it seems like a happy, productive operation. But when economic challenges prevail, VHB's management has historically abandoned the core values they so strongly asseverated and implemented pay freezes, layoffs and discriminatory culling of staff. Even in good times, employees are expected to attain unrealistic production levels, which results in the regular practice of over-billing clients.
Pros
Flexible work arrangements
Cons
Unrealistic production goals results in over-billing
Great place with great people to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 5, 2017
Even though there is no typical day - I could always rely on the team of engineers to help out any bottleneck. Great culture and very nice people. The management is great - though I did a temp job the attitude was always cooperative and friendly. Lots of work though one does not feel the pace
good workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAMay 3, 2017
good workplace, good people, good salary, good location, good benefits, good pay, good job, good office, good parties, good lunches, good time, good departments
Great people to work with
Senior Transportation Planner (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 6, 2017
VHB creates a positive work site for their employees and offers good competitive benefits. Create a good work life balance.
Great first job
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAOctober 6, 2016
I really enjoyed my time at VHB as a young professional. They emphasize the importance of the work life balance and are fairly flexible about working from home and coming in late/leaving early if you have appointments. There may not be a lot of company-wide activities, but the VHB mini golf tournament was great and I loved the fitness challenges! They also provided me with many professional development activities, which was very important to me as a young professional.
Poor work life balance
Transportation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAAugust 26, 2016
company culture is live to work not work to live. Younger employees are underpaid and overworked, and advancement opportunities/ getting experience in more senior duties is difficult as the company is always under the gun to produce deliverables as efficiently as possible to turn a higher profit margin.
Overall a good place to work.
Survey Crew Chief (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 30, 2016
VHB overall is an excellent company to work for. good people and co-workers. Management as a whole is competent but my current supervisor does not always provide us with enough information to complete a job thoroughly. it can make a job stressful at times. I have learned the tools necessary to navigate both management and the people that I supervise in a way that allows me to be successful in my position as Crew Chief. I have enjoyed the location I have worked and unique and challenging jobs I have worked on and the co-workers I have become friends with.
Pros
have use of company vehicle as crew chief
Cons
getting proper set up and information for a job
Friendly innovative company with a focus on employee growth and development.
Environmental Scientist II (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 10, 2015
I've learned an incredible amount from my time at VHB. I've become familiar with local, state and federal environmental regulations and permitting procedures as well as developing skills in construction environmental compliance monitoring and reporting. I've learned a wealth of environmental field knowledge from wetland delineation to field botany and strengthened my soil interpretation skills.
Productive, Professional, Encouraging, Supportive, and a "Home" feel
Environmental Scientist and Consulting Intern (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 6, 2015
I greatly enjoyed my work with VHB. Their atmosphere was welcoming and always encouraging and supportive. My boss was extremely nice and supportive especially at an intern level that I was at and had a great sense of humor and energy; he also had immense amounts of experience which was admirable. My co-workers were accepting and great to work along side and learn new skills/knowledge from. The hardest part of this job was definitely being in the office, but that was limited and time was still made to feel short due to a the surroundings and focus on work. The most enjoyable part was being outdoors, meeting new/working with my coworkers, and learning new skills from people who have much more experience than myself in some aspects of the environmental field. I enjoyed being able to use my own knowledge/skills in real life experiences and being able to think outside the norm of school settings for problem solving and work related tasks.
Pros
Thursday lunch is provided, great people to work with, amazing support, great experience
Good Company to work for when growing as an engineer/manager
Director of Land Development (Former Employee) –  Cranbury, NJDecember 9, 2014
I had worked at VHB for 13 years, and there were tremendous opportunities for growth and development as a young engineer. As the years went on, the focus became more about billability and profitability then about quality and client maintenance. Over the past 5 years, VHB has tried to grow through acquisitions rather than organically. The corporate overhead burden became hard to bear when competing for work. My land development team was with me for 7 years, and I recognize their efforts in both their and my success. The management decided to drop the Newark, NJ land development team and focus primarily on transportation planning.
Pros
Opportunity to develop as a manger
Cons
Primary focus became about profitability
Standard engineering/consulting firm
GIS Analyst/Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  North Ferrisburgh, VTAugust 16, 2014
Tons of in-house experience to learn from. Not many options for advancement within a single group.

Lots of long hours but the compensation partially makes up for it.
For the short time I was there, it was great
Marketing Communications (Former Employee) –  Watertown, MAMay 30, 2013
Not sure if my review is worth much as I was laid off (due to the recession) within 6 months of being hired. The team I was on was quite supportive of me and allowed me to work with several of the internal departments on projects I was passionate about. I was sad to leave.
branch office of a large company
CAD Technician & AutoCAD Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAAugust 16, 2012
A good company to work for, I mostly did Civil site development for them. We had a number of large and small clients.