Vanderbilt University Medical Center Employee Reviews

Research
Research Assistant - Nashville, TN (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 14, 2019
I worked as a research assistant while I was a college student and completed many small experiments. I had to leave because I graduated from college.
Fantastic place to work
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNFebruary 12, 2019
VUMC provides a supportive, collaborative and all encompassing culture. The leadership is well trained and bring great expereinces and value to their teams. VUMC is highly focused on promoting from within which makes this organziation the greatest place to work. There is a true focus on work life balance , very good benefits which inlcude options to the VHA network with low costs for all emloyees and their families. This is the best place to work in the south.
Direction
Network Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 31, 2019
In my department, there is not a clear cut direction. Because my department is a shared service with Vanderbilt University, it's difficult to review a typical day.
Salary far below market especially given responsibility
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 31, 2019
Very fast paced and lots of critical patients. However, pay is far below market and not in line with responsibilities. Benefits are excellent and can be like "golden handcuffs" keeping people there just for them.
Great workplace culture and benefits
Pharmacy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 29, 2019
Vanderbilt is a great place to work! They offer generous PTO, medical, dental and vision plans, excellent retirement plan with company match. There is room for advancement. The thing I liked least was having to buy a parking pass to park there. Some of the lots are very expensive!
Pros
Pto, retirement
Cons
parking
Productive workplace
Vanderbilt Temporary Staff (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 29, 2019
Being a part of the Vanderbilt community has been an overall excellent experience.
I am with the TempForce, but currently applying for a permanent position.
My long-term goal is to be with Vanderbilt and work my way up in the community.
When hired, good people to work with, but employees retired, new hires not so good.
Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 28, 2019
Worked for about 18 months for VUMC. As far as advancement, if you do you job well, they won't consider you for any other job. Stalemate. Some supervisors show favoritism.
Pros
The Vanderbilt name, benefits for families with children
Cons
low pay, no increases for job well done
Vanderbilt cares about its employees
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 26, 2019
Vanderbilt University Medical Center has always been caring for its employees. There are many benefits that Vanderbilt has created for employees and their families. Vanderbilt University Medical Center puts patients, visitors, community, and its employees first!
Pros
Health benefits!
Cons
Unforgiving occurrence point system that is not lenient to circumstances out of employees' control
Vanderbilt Summary
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 23, 2019
My experience at the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital has been eye opening as I work in the medical field. The first thing I've learned to work on is patience and that stems from the highly demanding and fast-paced work environment. It's important for people to know that working in the mental health field requires a special dose of patience and faith to be able to successfully make a positive impact on your work and the people around you. The management is flexible but fair to the employees and understands when people need time off but also knows that when people are scheduled to work they expect people to work as well as they can while they are here and that they treat everyone fairly and respectfully regardless of their job title or what kind of patient we are working with.
great place to learn
Registered Nurse/Surgical Step (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 23, 2019
my first real RN job, great leadership and training, working with residents in a teaching atmosphere is definitely different, i was really green and had a lot of resources for development at my fingertips
Great Benefits
Provider Verification Specialists (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 22, 2019
VUMC is a great place to work for the benefits. Growth is hard to come by within the corporation. As well as, they are not willing to pay you enough to live in this area.
H.R. Department
Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Green Hills BuildingJanuary 19, 2019
Very toxic workplace, very hostile, the H.R.Dept. is worthless and will not help you. When the managers/supervisors are afraid of employees that's bad. If you file a complaint to the H.R. Dept. don't expect an answer and if they say they will return your call don't believe them because they will NOT return your call, they pass you off to someone new that has no interest in helping. This is going into the third year of no help what so ever.
Pros
Cons
Racial hostility / Bullying
Great employee and managent relationship.
Coding Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 18, 2019
Great management and employee follow-up with job performance evaluation. Productivity improvements were done in adequate time. Flexibility with working from home. Cross training with other coders in the department.
Great Team
OnBase Developer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 17, 2019
I work on a team of 5 dedicated OnBase administrators and we all work very well together. We support the OnBase system and try to have some fun along the way and if a member of the team struggles the others pick him up. Some members are stronger technically while others have soft skills that they use to improve the team's balance. I enjoy working at Vanderbilt.
Pros
1/2 tuition paid for
Cons
commute to work
Nuclear Medicine Externship Program with Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Externship (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 16, 2019
Vanderbilt is a state of the art, teaching hospital. The Nuclear Medicine Program through Vanderbilt is a year long externship which is set up for students to work directly with patients which is under supervision at all times.
10 Years and Still Going
Lead, Pathology Support Services - Cytogenetics (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 13, 2019
My time at Vanderbilt has been informative and enjoyable. Not only does Vanderbilt cater to a diverse population, but this also describes those who work there as well. While working for a company as large as Vanderbilt, the individual departments can become a family unit. It isn't difficult to understand why people stay 30+ years.
Vanderbilt was a wonderful company to work for.
Quality Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 11, 2019
Vanderbilt was a wonderful company to work for good work life balance, and fair management. It is also easy to move up once you are in, attendance policies can sometimes be really strict.
great place to work
Care Partner (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 10, 2019
Great place to work, Vanderbilt takes really good care of their employees. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the fact that everyone is treated equally no matter their title
Awesome place to work
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 10, 2019
I enjoy the patients and my co-workers, Everyone is polite and courtesy, Vanderbilt is a great hospital. continued knowledge, the culture is vibrant, management is good.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
paying for parking, no raise for 5 yrs, then get a 2% below the cost of living
Wonderful Place to work
Program Manager Pharmaceutical Services (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 9, 2019
VUMC is an amazing place to be. There is a need for more compensation for all of its' employees. The cost of living and traffic of Nashville makes it difficult to find the best people when we are not as competitive with pay. The people are what drives this place and they need to be compensated.
Pros
team building events
Cons
lack of compensation or advancement on certain levels

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight