Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Found 1,289 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,300 reviews

Nice place to work

Featured review

Vanderbilt University Medical Center selected this as a representative review
Great scheduling, great management, good benefits. They definitely live up to the Vanderbilt name. They treat everyone fairly. Pay could be a little better, but still not bad.

Fast paced

The job was good . Fast paced at certain times . You have a chance to move up in the ranks if you show initiative in the workplace on a daily bases .

Vanderbilt University Medical Center insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

It’s worth the acknowledgment on your CV to work here but it’s not gonna be pretty.

Vanderbilt is obviously a prestigious place to work. You are able to network so easily and it’s opportunities were boundless. However, you work for peanuts. The healthcare benefits ironically are trash.

Multiple Jobs

Nothing positive or negative.Job will provide a steady stream of income.Multiple opportunities within organization to find a job and move about to multiple departments.

Great opportunities but low pay

The compensation is low and the benefits are mediocre, but I did have many career opportunities that I would not have had elsewhere. It’s a good place to start your career, but you probably want to move on once you have some experience if you want to get paid.

Very busy

Very busy fast pace in the emergency dept...the only reason I left was because of a job opportunity closer to home. I enjoy working with children which has always been my experience except for the 6 months I worked at Baptist hospital in Nashville er

Pros

Job security working in a emergency dept

Cons

Distance from home

Challenging work load, not a lot of support from management.

Challenging work load, not a lot of support from management. I'm considering leaving nursing. Challenging work load, I'm considering leaving nursing...

Rewarding work in a good environment for a good cause

First, keep on mind VUMC is a big organization and not every department is the same. That said, VICTR is a wonderful department to work in. The leadership is knowledgeable and helpful. They believe in their credo and everyone adheres to it. I've never witnessed yelling, talking down, etc., which I've seen way too many times at past jobs. The pay is at least average if not above, especially considering they are a non profit and funded by grants. Unlike most jobs where you are essentially getting paid to make someone else more money, here your effort is going towards medical research that might really save someone's life one day. At the very least it's for something positive and not profit driven, which really shows in the workplace culture.The only real negative is that being a larger entity, there can be a lot of hoops to jump through at times instead of just doing what obviously needs to be done. However, there are trade offs with any company and all larger organizations have these company wide policies that can be cumbersome.

The recruiters are nice and very helpful

The recruiter are a big help and they are very friendly. They don't have many fully remote positions. The paid days off accrual needs to be looked at and rewritten.

Pros

recruiters, pay

Cons

Pto, benefits, remote opportunities

I truly enjoyed each and every clinic I worked in during my tenure at Vanderbilt.

I worked with the most remarkable people at Vanderbilt.Your Staff is amazing.Everyone was always eager to help me to be the best worker I could be in order to give the best service to each and every patient.Thank you for the opportunity.

Low pay and parking passes/policies

Would be better if paid more, and decreased parking pass prices. They're losing many great employees from lack of competitive packages and struggle to staff

Great team environment and management that cares about nurses

I work at Vanderbilt Wilson County Hospital as an RN and I have nothing but good things to say about this hospital. It has a great community feel and I am always comforted to know that my coworkers have my back when I get in the weeds. I do wish I were paid more, but I also recognize this is a common complaint across the entire bedside nursing field.

Great Place

Great place to work, benefits are good. Staff is great. Pay is really low. Most jobs pay $5 or more an hour for an LPN. Not much chance of making more either.

Clinic team is great but don't expect any help from management

I work at a medium -small clinic and we all get along just fine so that part is great, and the provider is wonderful but management isn't on site so if there's an issue (such as being short staffed) don't expect any help from management. There's been a few times when it's only been one nurse by herself (both times the nurse was new to the clinic too) with way too many patients barely struggling to cope with everything plus still learning out clinic specifics. Did we get any support from management? NOPE! Not even once did someone come by and check on us. Any time we do get help, that help gets pulled off to another clinic because that clinic has a higher patient volume. So we get to be short staffed because someone else is short staffed? Yeah management a joke!

Pros

Off on weekends and major holidays

Cons

Management is pretty much the root of all out problems

Depends on what department/management

I’m happy in my day to day life because I work with/for great, flexible, kind people and my work is fulfilling. Both of these metrics can vary greatly depending on the lab you work in. Organizationally- I feel grossly underpaid (ESPECIALLY with the insane cost of living in Nashville) and parental leave benefits are confusing and severely lacking. And it’s outrageous that employees pay several hundred dollars/year to park. I feel a massive disconnect between upper management and employees. We don’t care about a 10% discount in the cafeteria or a cutting board for Christmas. Pay us fairly.

Learning Environment

teaching hospital so always able to learn something new. good coworkers in MICU. most everyone is willing to help if you need it. not enough care partners for the acuity/patient load.

Just a number

At best, Vanderbilt provides access to a plethora of subspecialties that will allow you to provide better care for the patient. However, the work culture is toxic. Management cares very little about physician health or wellness and patients are just dollar signs.

Don’t even know the managers name

Working with residents was very difficult. They are constantly changing and putting in new orders due to their indecisiveness. It puts such a strain on nursing and the patients. So many unnecessary tests and scans being done, I can’t imagine these patients to bills.

Pros

Can always learn something new

Cons

Management, unfriendly charge nurses, inexperienced nurses, doctors

Stay away if you care about the future of Nursing

This place was very oblivious to their own systems failures and took no accountability or respect for nursing or the patients they claim to care about. Low morale here and always do more with less was encouraged. Dangerous workplace overall.

No support system.

Highly suggest you steer clear of this hospital. They have and will throw you to the wolves, not let you report your mistakes like you want to do and don’t support you

Pros

You know going in to trust NO ONE

Cons

Everything. SHADY, 💩💩people

Love vumc!

I joined VUMC in 2016 and thoroughly enjoy working for an organization that is super focused on supporting our communities with superior clinical services.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss