Vanderbilt University Medical Center
66Average

Vanderbilt University Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States1,079 reviews
Found 1,079 reviews matching the search
great place to work if manager is good
I wished that I never left. I had some really great managers who I would called leaders. I left because I did not agree with how the higher ups wanted to treat employees . thankfully they are not here anymore and for the most the managers are there for you.If I had a crystal ball and could see the future I would have never left. Great place to work and benefits even if you have to pay to park
The pay
The pay is the only thang really don’t like the job it’s hard on your body in unprofessional management team. They ratchet and disrespectful rude and don’t know how to have a conversation which people
Pros
Pay
Cons
Team work
Loved working at Vanderbilt
Vanderbilt is a great place to work. The people they hire are awesome and become your family. They truly care about the patient experience and take care of their employees.
Good place to work. Good opportunities for advancement.
I loved working at Vanderbilt. The work was challenging and rewarding. I worked with 24 resident physicians and helped create the education experience for them.
I was offered plenty of opportunities for travel to professional meetings.
Terrible Leadership
Upper management does not care about employee concerns. They only care about making each other look good. If you speak up about injustice they will retaliate. The VUMC Credo is a joke. There are so many people who don’t embody the credo it’s unreal. I don’t recommend working in the coding department and regret taking that position. The stress and poor leadership is not worth the money.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Miserabley run department
VUMC has some great doctors, nurses, and medical personnel. It is the PDC Department that has terrible senior management. It is not fair and not truthful and cannot be trusted. I was constantly warned that employees get fired for the most minor and ridiculous things. This department has a history of high employee turnover. The job is unreasonably fast paced and most days you have to work through lunch if you happen to bring something that can be quickly eaten. This is the worst job I have ever had and people are not happy here. This is the poorest senior management I have ever known. Run from this job!
My experience
I enjoyed working at vandy there was so much diversity and there was always an exciting day. I always enjoyed going to work and creating the best work environment for myself and coworkers
Warning comes before Destruction Proverbs 16:18
I've heard by current employees of over 10+ years and past employees that Vanderbilt is "too political" but figured I would see for myself. Please be warned! They do not care about you as a coworker. You are just another number. Discrimination is very high and has been for YEARS but money and prestige buys "cover ups." There is always the possibility for change but the company has gone from prestige to tawdry significantly. Management will not acknowledge discrimination, favoritism or any toxic work environments as they are "Yes" people. There are many other jobs where people " truly care about people." Thats the whole purpose of the medical field. Please be warned! If you are not their puppet you wont succeed at all! And if you are not caucasian, you definitely will not succeed unless you have a job of lesser importance. Trust me! Many people are just waiting for the right "time" to walk away from Vanderbilt and they don't even know it. Many already have. Be Warned!
Pros
Medical Field
Cons
Poor management skills from management, Too many "Yes" people, Many facade and fake smiles, no credo behavior
Patient focused, team oriented, positive place to work.
Very patient focused, and quality centered environment.
Part of a hard working team, that takes their work seriously, and concentrates on patient satisfaction, and getting the job done right.

We celebrate each other, with support of our managment.

The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing we did our best.

Vanderbilt is a great place to work.
Pros
Celebrated, reward focused, extra perks from mgt.
Cons
Can be stressful when dealing with the public.
Fun workplace
Easy going environment with great co-workers. The atmosphere was very warm and welcoming; everyone wanted the best out of each other. Everyone worked very hard and they were all willing to do whatever it took to get the job done.
Managed, not Led
In eight years, I have seen VUMC transition from an organization that was led, to one that is managed. Continuous shifting of vision, disconnect between messaging and action.
Benefits
Cons
Management, culture
Great company
Working here was like a family. I loved coming in everyday and on days I didn’t work I still found myself picking up extra hours. I miss the environment of being around good dedicated people.
Comfortable work environment
The typical day is generally relaxed in the lab. Management is great and the staff is always friendly. I enjoy coming to work everyday and I find it to be a safe and clean environment.
Nice place to work
Very good place for work , good benefits, flexible, training hospitality, innovation,I love Vanderbilt University medical center always educate for a good patient services
When you enjoy what you do, you can overcome the madness
I believe the company great to work at but the department I worked in the lead management (Assistant director did not care enough about their staff team. Lot of favoritism, bullying, not enough support only to selected people and discrimination was in place also. I worked the department for over 9 years because I enjoy what I did along with the experience. The company itself has great benefits and employees engagement events. You can meet great coworkers from different backgrounds that they also could make your work and time their worthwhile.
Research Assistant- Psychiatry Geriatrics
I was a research assistant for the geriatrics division of the psychiatry department. I faced constant workplace violence from my supervisor and se xual harassment from the Director/PI. it was supposed to be a learning experience but all that I learned was how to react when my supervisor would throw things around the office in a temper tantrum. Taking this job was a big waste of my time. Favoritism and absenteeism frequent in the Center.
You will not be treated equally and more worked than one person can possibly keep up w
Managers for the most treat employees different. Also they do not try to help employees to meet their expectations. I loved the interactions with patients.
Great reputation, but treats nurses as disposable
I have worked in two different ICU units at Vanderbilt, thinking that this would be a great place to work since it has such a great reputation. I took a major paycut to come to Vanderbilt and was told by HR that cost of living was much less than the large city that I was coming from. I did not feel welcomed by my units, and coming with 7 years experience, I questioned many orders and practices only to be told "Thats just the way we do it here at Vanderbilt." I would not recommend this hospital for anyone with prior experience, but it is great for new grads because they hire mostly new grads.
Not Worth Your Time
Most of the leadership here are evil and wicked hearted. You are always here over worked but yet under paid. The workers are past exhausted and running on fumes working here.
Professionalism and lifelong learning
As an academic medical center we have brilliant and enthusiastic people around us all the time. It creates an energy and a sense of pride. Service to patients and a serious effort to help employees achieve work/life balance rounds out the “good.” The bad could be summed up by saying when you work for a desirable employer the pay raises are rare and benefits seem to whittle down over time.
Horrible place to work
Worst company in the state of TN. They don't care about employees but pretend to once a year. McDonald would be better and pay more than some positions.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight