Vanderbilt University Employee Reviews

Avoid The Business Office
Account Reimbursement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 9, 2018
I can only speak to the Business Office side. I have never worked in the hospital environment. The face that is shown is one of "Employee and Patient Centered Satisfaction". Employee morale is terrible and here is why.
Raises have NOT been given 8 out of the last 15 years. Those years that one was received, it was only 2%. Which covered the Insurance increase and parking increase (yes, you have to pay to park to come to work). Raises are across the board if given. They are NOT performance based. There is no continuity of management expectations (i.e. dress code, time off, etc.). They do offer flex time, but even that will be scaled back very soon. You have to use you own PTO time for Federal holidays. They say that time is added to your PTO, but that is in fact false. Senior Leadership do not interact with lower staff in any way shape or form, although they say they do. You will never receive a bonus. Compliments and encouragement is rare. It is difficult to obtain the tools you need to effectively do your job.
There are many medical offices in the Nashville area, don't waste your time applying at Vanderbilt for a Business Office position of any kind.
Pros
Limited flex time
Cons
Under paid employees, no raises, PTO time used for federal holidays, pay to park to come to work
below market pay, no raises, pay for your parking
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 8, 2018
Vanderbilt has below market pay for medical staff, In the 4 years I've worked there I have had 2 2% raises and no increase for cost of living. In addition, our benefit cost and amount that you pay for your own parking was more than the tiniest of "raises" that were received. I essentially get paid less now than I did when I started 4 years ago. This organization is willing to pay more for new hires than existing employees, employee retention is not valued.
most enjoyable part of my job
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 6, 2018
It allows me to be able to study for school, while I'm working. My manager is super nice. My current job give me the opportunity to somewhat make my own hours as long as I get 40 hrs a week.
Pros
the managers that I've had was wonderful
Cons
could pay a little more
Educational Healthcare Culture
Patient Care Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 4, 2018
Vanderbilt supports learning in all phases, and is an exceptional place to learn and grow as a professional. I thoroughly enjoy the opportunities offered here.
Pros
Full tuition benefit for nurses, great tuition benefits for all other roles.
Cons
Like all healthcare, creativity and willingness to do more with less is the normal "ask."
Educators Beware
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 1, 2018
The pay is awful....I had over 10yrs of experience and a college degree and they offered me $10hr...McDonald's & Wal-Mart workers make more money that this....
Pros
Working with Children
Cons
Pay
Good Place to work for
Health Information Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Nashville-Davidson, TNJuly 31, 2018
Productive and fun workplace to work very rewarding hospital. If you have a heart of compassion for people this is a good place to work for all the doctors and coworkers are
Pros
Excellant place
Great Job
Computer Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 27, 2018
The company was a good company but it was not what I expected. I experienced racisim and sexism. Other than that it was great. I the benefits and salary is great. Lots of opportunity for growth.
Pros
Benefits and Salary
Cons
The People
Excellent place to work
Pharmacy Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 24, 2018
This is a great place to work! The pay is not where it should be but the Benefits help weigh out the difference. Management is amazing here and you can be cross trained between departments. Everyone is friendly and helpful
Pros
Advancement, Benefits
Cons
Located in Nashville in the middle of all the traffic
I'm sure the rest of the University is great....
Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 19, 2018
Whatever you do, don't get placed on the Application Integration and Development team. The Director has been there for 20 years and is absolutely clueless about new tech and the way development teams work. There is NO SDLC at all and a mockery of attempted scrum.

There are zero advancement opportunities.

The director and managers in that team micro-manage everything you do and never let you make decisions on your own. You are not allowed to suggest practices that might provide more efficient development or deployment, either.

I joined VU during the legal split and was beyond excited about proposed opportunities and work-life balance. All of it was a lie.
Pros
Benefits were OK
Cons
Micro-managed, no work life balance
great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 17, 2018
this is a great place to work. I have loved every minute. the staff the people the patients its all great. definitely nursing centered place to work.

Want to know more about Vanderbilt University?

Ask a question
good place to work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 10, 2018
working at Vanderbilt was a wonderful experience. The only thing that made me leave was the pay and management did not seem appreciative. It seemed like they liked the fact of having a person there rather than also appreciating the employees in my department. I was also not getting paid enough In my department. I had to do what was best for me and my family so I had to leave. Other than those things I really enjoyed my years spent with Vanderbilt.
Job Security and good benefits
Grants Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 5, 2018
In regards to pay comparison of VU and VUMC, VUMC pays more; however, VU has the best benefits. The people are great in my dept and very laid back. Very supportive.
Pros
People, supportive, benefits, friendly environment, no micro mgmt
Cons
Pay is just ok.
Great Institution
Associate Collaboration Administrator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 5, 2018
There's is a little of the "good ol' boy" dynamic at Vanderbilt in terms of hiring processes and advancement. But, what do you expect? It's the south.
Pros
You can work here til retirement, if you diversify your skills
Cons
Good Ol' Boy network. Limited, employee paid parking. Paid once a month.
Productive and fun work place
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 29, 2018
Managers are inconsistent and not on the same team so it confuses emoloyees
They’re very understanding
They love and help all employees
Great benefits
PTO come in handy!
Pros
5 free meals each week
Data Entry Operator
Data Entry- Peabody College (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 28, 2018
This position was working with student during registration. . Also, my position was working with Admission office, Dean's Office. I also, worked entering student course books, Adjust the tuition for student that need refund
Workplace was ok
Medical Reception Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 27, 2018
The workplace was fine to work in if there wasn't so much favoritism going on. If everyone was treated the same i do believe that people would stay in the department.
Pros
pto, benefits, excellent hours
Cons
unappreciative managers don't want to help hard workers but will reward laziness
Good university, poor laboratory management
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 24, 2018
Academic laboratory managements are obviously differ by lab managers. However, at Vanderbilt University the medical research laboratories are stressful and that transfers down to every rank. It is not only because of high impact research. There is hardly any good oversight or accountability of the individual research lab managers. The benefits are certainly good,
You learn a great deal.
Administrative Lead (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 18, 2018
You have the opportunity to learn many administrative task, programs, departmental management skills, financial skills, etc.. You can make of it what you will. Overall, it is a very good place to work. I really do not have any major complaints. Thank You.
Great place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 18, 2018
The hours were long but I had a lot of satisfaction with my cowokers. the enjoyment I had in feeding the students and then watch them graduate and move on was a great feelking
Cons
had socal events for employees
Janitorial Worker (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 13, 2018
i guess they tried to make the best of it they could but it seemed
like there were to many chiefs and not enough indians.i learned
dishwashing for a university is harder than you think.
most management seemed nice.hardest part of job sometimes it
would seem overwhelming.
Pros
good food sometimes to eat
Cons
hard to have a social life

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanderbilt University. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss