Vanguard Employee Reviews

Fast pace and professional atmosphere
Investment Advisor Representative (Former Employee) –  Valley Forge, PANovember 16, 2018
This was my first "real job" out of college and was a very well managed company with several positive lessons for life long achievements to be learned.
Pros
ecellent role models
Cons
time deadlines everyday
Incredibly competitive and stressful, but good benefits
Client relationship associate (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PANovember 6, 2018
My position at Vanguard was their client relationship associate/ brokerage investment professional. I don't believe Vanguard is very honest about the job when you go through training, it is incredibly stressful, and not flexible. You take incoming calls all day long from clients, and get a lunch and 30 minutes of break a day that you can only use during certain times. It's extremely competitive to move on to anything else, but might be worth it if your end goal is to work as a financial advisor or another sector of finance there. I don't think there is enough support for employees and clients can be truly awful, would not suggest this position for anyone not interested in customer service.
Pros
Lots of PTO, good benefits, fair hours
Cons
Short breaks, competitive, not flexible or diversity in your day
If you can handle call center, good place to work
Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 31, 2018
The people and culture at Vanguard were great. There was always something going on to try and break up the monotony of being tied to the phone all day, but eventually I couldn't deal. The calls were non-stop, back to back. Call metrics are very big. They stress not being on the phone too long, but also delivering the best customer service.
Pros
Cons
non stop back to back calls
productive and stress free environemnt
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 27, 2018
yes the mangement was good and tech leads very helpful when ever required,provided free lunches sometime when there was releses and good place to be. all good
Slow
Cook (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 25, 2018
Super slow running with not alor of advancement. Management is very bad and don't care about their employees personal life at all. Food is good but expensive for the amount.
Management help working better then expected
Participant services representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 25, 2018
I would recommend this job, but chose the department you chose to work for carefully.
Not every department potential and growth with the company is equal to other departments, but opportunities are available through out most departments. Be prepared for a micro managed metric system, in Participant services department.
Get in, learn quickly, move on.
Pros
Company as a whole Great
Cons
Not every department equal in advancements
I think this has been a awesome experience.
Stipend Coordinator/Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 23, 2018
While working in accounting I have trained new associates on calls, expense reports and the time keeping system. I have learned the skills and am confident in the training I am providing.
Great place to work!
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 22, 2018
Great management, great atmosphere. Really good people.If you want to take a vacation and don't have time. Just schedule it and they will give it to you unpaid. No pressure, just get your job done. Tim Smith(manager) is great. He has been the manager for over 33 years.
Pros
people, management, owner, time off, will work with you
Cons
no air conditioning
Work day
Retirement Plan Associate (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 18, 2018
Flexible hours and great work atmosphere. Very friendly colleges and relaxed environment. Its an easy place to work and offer great holidays. Also has great facilities.
Great work life balance but like to hire externally
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 15, 2018
Vanguard is a great place to work. The jobs are very easy, they dont push you very hard and it is an easy place to coast. However with the amount of people they hire at the lower levels it continually gets more competitive until they just start hiring externally.

Want to know more about Vanguard?

Ask a question
Outstanding professional employees and excellent and knowledgeable IT staff and equipment.
Consultant for Project Planning and Implementation (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAOctober 15, 2018
I worked as a contractor for Vanguard for 3 years, I was very impressed by the management and employee dedication. The IT department had the best and knowledgeable employees and equipment I had ever seen. I worked for the Print and Mail operation and their employees were dedicated and very hard working. I very much enjoyed my time at Vanguard and would gladly accept either another contract position or a full-time management position.
Pros
Hard working and knowledgeable employees, on-site cafeteria, very tight security.
Cons
None.
A great place to work, but it is fast paced
Record Keeping and Processing Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 14, 2018
I enjoy the company and the products they offer. But it is fast paced and can be high stress. It can take a certain type to work there. Just be aware of that before applying.
Great benefits, long vestments and corporate kool-aid
Not going to disclose this (Current Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 11, 2018
It's very easy to begin on the phones, and most people do in fact. The issue is escaping them. Because the company is getting large, yet more efficient, it's creating more jobs at the lower level and less at the medium/higher level.

Management acts passively and is not candid. There's a consistent feeling of 'them' and 'you' that is inseparable. When you finally do escape the phones/call center, you are disappointed with how happy you thought you would have been. Instead, you are micromanaged by people who have no idea what you do.

There are plenty of opportunities if you aspire to be a manager. The problem is most managers do not know what they're doing. Technical expertise is dwarfed by general knowledge, buzz words and leadership meetings and 'off-sites' or symposiums. This is what managers spend the majority of their time doing.

The atmosphere itself is not necessarily conducive to new ideas or input. A typical day consists of you attempting to tackle your workload in an inefficient manner, usually due to technology constraints.

If you want to work in an environment with Greek life alumni and 24 year old managers, this is the place for you.
Pros
Benefits are nice, Retirement is outstanding, but vesting requirements are 6 years
Cons
Often stressful work environment (client-facing or not), Your input is rarely taken into account, The pay is low compared to industry standards.
Productive and great team work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 10, 2018
I enjoyed working at Vanguard before relocating. There was always work to be done every day and new things to learn. I enjoyed working with my colleges and helping out wherever needed.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Minimal increases
Great company to work for with room for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PAOctober 9, 2018
I worked there for about 5 1/2 years and was able to work for 2 different departments while I was there. I enjoyed having a variety of tasks to do daily and enjoyed working with all my co-workers. Towards the end of my employment some changes were taking place and managers/supervisors started micro-managing the employees. Brought the moral down.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay increase was very minimal
Low pay hard work
Furniture Assembler (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCOctober 9, 2018
Not the best place for a career. Okay to for less than a year. Old school people who could care less about your health. Expect a little more than minimum wage.
Good.
Retirement Plan Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 4, 2018
Good job for the people who like a steady paced environment. I felt genuinely cared for when I needed it. Especially by my manager, I really lucked out with the manager I got.
Great company
Securities Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 2, 2018
Great company to work for. Unfortunately I did not pass the Series 7 exam to stay employed. Great interaction of employees with the business. Great leadership.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Great place to begin your career
Retirement Administrator Manaer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 29, 2018
The work-life balance is really great at Vanguard. The culture is passive aggressive, which at times can be very difficult to navigate through the company.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Lack of pay
Good place to start your career
Account Transition Specialist (Former Employee) –  Malvern, PASeptember 25, 2018
Good place to start your career. Hard to advance if you do not mesh with the culture. Good retirement plan and benefits but lower than average salaries.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vanguard. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

69%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

77%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss