VANS Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Stressful, Awful Pay
Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Encinitas, CAJuly 19, 2018
A company as big as Vans can definitely afford to pay their employees a lot better than they do. The discount and incentives are nice but dont pay the bills. Promoting internally is difficult if you start from the bottom.
Pros
discount, coworkers
Cons
pay, high stress and expectations
basing
Floor sales (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAJuly 19, 2018
This report presents the findings of a short project undertaken by NIACE between to investigate how Community Learning reform was being implemented locally in the first year of full, national policy roll-out. It provides a snapshot of the ways in which partnerships for the funding, planning and delivery of community learning are developing in five local areas. A short case study of each area is included, together with a summary which draws out the key finding
Productive workplace with likable co-workers
Vans Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTJuly 19, 2018
Vans emphasizes two main duties to all its employees: customer service, and profit for the company.

Of course, customer service is the most important of the employee responsibility, and Vans does a very good job of teaching its employees how to properly do so.

Although it was never specifically mentioned, as it never is in any retail company, profit vs. shrink was the biggest priority for any employee, second only to customer service.
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
Short breaks for sale associates
Productive and fun work place
Core Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAJuly 19, 2018
First ever job and wouldn't change that. Vans helped my introverted 17 year old self out of my shell. I was a sales associate along with helping out in the stock room, shipping out old merchandise to make room for the new. Management when I was there was good but heard otherwise from coworkers, didn't stay long enough to experience the bad. They do offer you to grow and learn within the company but my location was too small for that, you would've had to relocate. Otherwise, I had a lot of fun working at vans.
Pros
50% off discount
Cons
2 shifts a week
Fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 19, 2018
Laid back, all around good retail company to work for.
They treat their employees fairly well and they usually promote growth in the company often enough.
Nice job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 18, 2018
Enjoy being at work very diverse helpful willing to support employees enjoy what I do like being at work it’s fun environment get to meet new people vans is a good job
Vans is awesome.
Floor Supervisor/ Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 16, 2018
Working for Vans was the best job experience I've ever had. They are an innovative and evolving company. Constantly immersed in art, skateboarding, and street culture.
Pros
Vans Discounts
Fun, Stressful
Sales Associate, Cashier, and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 15, 2018
Working at Vans was fun at times. However, it is not possible to convince every customer to buy more than what they came in for. I was constantly getting in trouble for not being able to upsale. Not everyone is a good sales person or can upsale as well as others.
Vans stays geniune and authentic
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 14, 2018
In the 2 years that I have worked at Vans I have been pretty pleased with my experience. Even though I no longer work with the same team I started out with, their replacement have been more than encouraging and enthusiastic.
Fun and productive environment, surrounded by smiling faces.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INJuly 11, 2018
Here, I built on my interpersonal skills. Developed a passion and excitement for the company and its customers. In addition,I was promoted within a year to a supervisor and was offered the position of assistant manager.
Pros
discount, awards, recognition of meeting sales goals
Best Retail Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hurst, TXJuly 11, 2018
Quickly hired and trained to be the most helpful store associate possible! I have a leadership team full of great communicators and active listeners; fellow associates are patient and kind. Absolutely love this job, that’s why I still work with Vans!
Pros
Employee discount, awesome people, rewarding experience
Fast paced stressful environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJuly 3, 2018
So my time working for Vans was exceptionally poor, granted i learned a very large amount about the company, the shoes, and the culture, however very little of this was due to the management. I only had one manager who did right by me, the others didn't really care about their people. The company itself is an amazing one, I was just under horrible management.
Pros
Great discount, good hours
Cons
no benefits, minimum wage, hellish atmosphere
Fun place to work. They develop from within.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJuly 2, 2018
Vans is a great place to work and they encourage growth. Management is pretty standard. You have creative freedom to express yourself and they’re community oriented.
fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 30, 2018
i was employee of the month multiple times and miss it. it was and very fast paced kept me busy most of all and I enjoyed it and was good with customers.
Pros
employee discount
Fun job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 28, 2018
Fast paced always helping customers to either check them out at the cash register or get them a shoe they desire. Co-workers were always very nice and even when there was a lot of people shopping in the store it wasn't that bad because we worked as a team to get shoes out to everyone as fast as we could.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No commission
Easy location and friendly staff
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAJune 27, 2018
Job was not too stressful, but intended to be busy especially on weekends and when schools were just about to become in session. Discounts were very beneficial
Great!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJune 27, 2018
I loved Vans it was prob my favorite job I ever had very fun very relaxed my only issue was the pay and hours you are given and it is very hard to move up within the company. I have nothing but respect for the Van Doren family <3
Pros
Discounts time off
Cons
Pay and advancements and hours
Horrible management
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJune 26, 2018
When I worked as a store manager I was allotted a certain number of hours to distribute throughout the week to employees which included my own hours. The hours assigned to my store alone where not enough to cover all shifts to I would have to work a double shift since I was salaried. I cannot attest to how management is now but I really hope there has been a turnover.
Love It
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJune 25, 2018
I love this place but I am currently trying to find something that pays a little bit more to be able to live comfortably in my area. Management is awesome, all the co-workers are cool as well.
Great place to work!
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Anderson, CAJune 22, 2018
I would recommend this place 1,000%! You can't go wrong if you work for Vans! It's a great part-time job and the whole team treats you like family. Plus the discounts are awesome!
Pros
Discounts, great product, fun events, family centered.
Cons
Not the easiest to move up in the company.