Varian Medical Systems Employee Reviews

Varian was a job
Final Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 2, 2018
I worked graveyard shift in Final System Test in an environment where most everything you did alone. It was also 22 years ago so I do not know if the work environment is still the same. The rules on PTO and sick time were strange for someone working graveyard shift. You were only allowed 2 unplanned sick days per year which meant you had to tell them if you were going to be out sick 24 hours in advance. Some people I worked with sometimes called in each day to say they may not be in even though they were not sick just to get around the rule. I wasn't so lucky and missed work mainly because was a single parent with a sick 4 year old at home
Pros
I liked the technical aspect of the systems, very nice to know system was saving lives
Cons
Documentation related to technical theory seemed to be non existent, so you had to ask others that may not know either
Great company to work for, overall.
Field Service Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CADecember 1, 2018
There is a real problem with work/home life balance at Varian but the company compensates you well for the time you put in. The benefits package is nearly unbeatable and you get to work with some great people.
Contract Role for Office Migration
Office 365 Migration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 28, 2018
This role was a contract to assist with the cutover to Office 365 for the organization. The organization appeared to be a good place to work. Unfortunately budgeting constraints forced the project to be shelved and the contract was cut short, however we were able to meet most of the objectives before the contract was ended.
Excellent learning and good workplace
Functional Analyst (Current Employee) –  Milpitas, CANovember 20, 2018
Excellent learning and good working environment with full satisfaction as well as with cooperative supporting team, going to guide when ever is required
In business to save lives
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 16, 2018
great Place to work with a central Palo Alto location that has many amenities either onsite or close by. The goal of the company is to help people by treating cancer. It is a great goal. Good people to work with
Cons
Expensive to live in HQ location
The People are great!
Business Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2018
The people w/in Varian are great people. Varian has some trouble with their middle management choices; underqualified, weak, micromanaging. And they tend to let these folks linger on well past their date of usefulness and into destructiveness.

I was at Varian for a long time and I loved the last department I was in. It does seem that Varian began to lose focus on its employees and building that family/team atmosphere. When I left, they were becoming nauseatingly corporate and cookie cutter in their approach to employess. But like I said, the on the ground folks are amazing and support one and another, collaborate, and really care about the other's success. If you can tolerate ridiculous corporate rules and lack of focus on employee needs by upper management, and just be happy with your team, then you can be successful here.

Once Varian moved into the new building in Buckhead....the company changed. They are so obsessed w/ justifying the expense of moving to Buckhead that they stopped caring about what was/is good for their employees. It was a ridiculous decision and a costly one. Money that could have been spent elsewhere.
Pros
Great teammates
Cons
Too corporate and anonymous now
Good job until you get RIFed
Western Region Implementation Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CANovember 7, 2018
I worked there 2.5 years then they did a re-org in my division so I was gone. Ok salary, ok management. Good budget. I managed 4 direct reports and they were good employees.
Less about the employee more about the bottom line
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 23, 2018
VMS was a great place to work, then the executives began implementing new standards which focused on the bottom line more than the worth of the employees. The company culture changes and many 10, 20, 30+ year employees left or were terminated due to the changes. The company lost its compassion and experience.
It is a good place to work, but job security is an issue.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Security, untrained management
Company
Production Control Planner (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 21, 2018
Old mentality. Too many internal hires for key positions when they should take advantage of multi company external hires. Descent compensation, descent benefits.
Exciting working there
Flat Panel Software Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 7, 2018
Overall good. Good environment with lots of employees. Overall treated most everybody fair. They are splitting the company into three different companies and the new system will not work for some engineers.
my manager is an excellent boss
MECHANICAL DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 29, 2018
My manager would look out for his team and always care for his team.
My co-worker is very supportive.
Culture at Varian is team based.
The most enjoyable part of my job is my team member are very supportive and understanding.
Poor Managment
Employed (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 9, 2018
Poor Management. Lack of accountability. Relies on 20% to do 80% of the work. Poor planning for projects. Lack of communication.
At least benefits= ok
Benefits
Cons
Managment & communication
20+ years experiance
Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 4, 2018
1st level Management was poor, severe lack of training and oversite and personal agendas. Senior management was great, it just didn't trickle down very well.
Cons
Overworked with little resources provided. Chances of failure are high.
culture doesn't meet mission aspirations
manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 4, 2018
Very political cliquish environment, people rarely think outside the box; service org bad, ageism transparent all over. Forced vaca year end due to poor financial results. Basic benefits.
Pros
great mission but....
Cons
poor compensation especially out west, forced vacation, politics rampant
Great company
Sr. PowerBuilder and SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 18, 2018
Great company. I worked at the client premises in Pittsburgh, PA, but Varian was located in Winnipeg, Canada. However, the manager was coming in Pittsburgh often enough. The work was challenging, the work environment was perfect.
Pros
Quite environment, good rate.
Cons
There were some good times, but towards the end it was mostly bad!
INFORMATION SYSTEM ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 7, 2018
When I started there 20yrs ago it was less stress and less politics. The last 5 yrs I was there management changed and it was a battle every day! Too much politics.
Pros
Chance for promotions and training.
Cons
too much politics!
Great Company
Field Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILAugust 5, 2018
Varian Medical Systems was a great company to work for and I learned a lot about the treatment of cancer.
I was given the ability to learn a great machine and it's capabilties.
Radiation therapy medical device manufacturer evolving into oncology medical technology
Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 22, 2018
Conservative company that is well run. The company has a storied past and a fantastic future (vision and mission), but struggles because of its old school culture and inability to adapt to change fast enough. It is an absolute privilege to be a part of a company that gets to work on "a world without fear of cancer" everyday, but the company is experiencing growing pains and multiple reorganizations that is diminishing employee morale. Though they have a long term vision that resonates well, they are too focused on short term results and sales. The culture does not support their ambition and something will have to give or change to move the company forward.
Toxic work environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJuly 10, 2018
Products are good; management is toxic. Very political place. It is also a male driven company. Not many women in managerial roles. Expectation is to brown nose in order to move ahead.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Management is terrible
Good company to work for
IT Software License Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CA 94304June 27, 2018
The environment is very accommodating from business perspective and individual perspective. The expectation is high as far as performance is concern at the same time, you control your own pace with high degree of success. There is no micro-managing in this company.
Pros
You can create your own pace of work.
Cons
Deliverables can be demanding.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varian Medical Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight