Varian Semiconductor Equipment Associates Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A great job with a good deal of travel
Product Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mainly the Boston areaFebruary 28, 2017
I worked for a long time at Varian and found it a great place to work. There was a lot of responsibility placed on us with the long term travel to various fabs around the world. The job had a lot of variation from day to day. On Monday I might be evaluating a new revision of software and then on the next day getting on a plane to go to Singapore. I do miss the travel at times but it was time to move on.A great place to work if you don't mind the New England winters.
Pros
Good people to work with on a very challenging job
Cons
Travel with little to no notice
small company with great people.
Electromechanical technician (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, MAJuly 7, 2016
Great place to work. Good hard working people. teamwork oriented with lots of opportunity for growth. company depends upon investors so sometimes the money runs low. scary situation.
Pros
great pay
Cons
company depends upon investors.
Busy and fun
Executive Assistant to CFO & Director of Treasury (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, MAMarch 28, 2014
Busy day, lots to learn, opportunity to learn and take on more responsibilities.
Field Support Assembler III VIISta (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, MAJuly 23, 2013
Too much middle management. Great place to learn new things. Surrounded by good people.
No ping pong tables, but I work five minutes away from home and I get to see the ocean every day.
IP Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, MAOctober 12, 2012
Varian Semiconductor Equipment Associates, Inc. has been a very good company and I enjoy my employment in the Legal Department.

In 2008, VSEA ran into a situation similar to what we are experiencing today. The company had to cut staff, but provided well as possible for those that were laid off. Since that time, many of the staff have returned to VSEA.

The company cares about its employees and provides a very generous benefits package.

As we are experiencing now, jobs are not always secure. However, VSEA (and AMAT) are prudent in its approach as to who and when.

I would not expect advancement because of my very specialilzed position. I work in IP because I like it, and despite the opportunity to transfer into a new position with management potential, I would continue to choose IP. What could be better than working in a field in which you are constantly learning something new; that you have an opportunity to nurture and create friendships with associates from other countries; that you receive respect for your IP knowledge, and finally, to be able to interact with people who are geniuses (and nerdy).

The hardest part of my job is the ever present threat of missing a deadline. Unfortunately, I have experienced missing deadlines, and I am so fortunate that the applications were not as valuable as first considered.

I like VSEA and will be sad to leave, but I also look forward to new challenges and new people to meet.
Pros
christmas parties, barbecues, excellent benefits, and very nice people.
Cons
sometimes too much work; deadlines on top of deadlines
Insolent, egotistical.
Final Test/ Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, MAJuly 24, 2012
Some excellent and knowledgable employees overshadowed by cold, self important middle managers.
Pros
sharp co-workers
Cons
insolent management