Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

tutoring with Varsity Tutors
Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineOctober 22, 2018
The upside is that management is laid back and really let you tutor the way you are comfortable. The pay is OK, but could be better. During the school year, there are many opportunities for tutoring. You get to develop a relationship with your students, which is nice, as opposed to always working with new people.
Pros
relaxed working environment
Cons
pay
Great!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 14, 2018
I love working here, the hours are so flexible. I am able to choose my own clients and create my own schedule with them. The hourly pay rate sometimes has bonuses for repeat clients as well.
Comfortable Flexilble Part Time Contract Work
Test prep tutor ACT, SAT, SSAT, ISEE (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 11, 2018
I give VT a 5 star rating. I love my students and the facts that I make my own schedule and teach my own materials and style. I can accept or not any tutoring opportunity with no pressure to take on additional work. I am paid twice a week for hours worked. The compensation is, in my opinion, very low with a ceiling based on my area, and, since it is contract work, no taxes are taken out of the direct deposit to my bank account. I am able to work from home, however, online, which is a big plus since I spent many years on the road doing home tutoring. I now only work online when I want to, and I can easily control my schedule. The opportunities are many and I never go without the fullest schedule I care to have..
Pros
Many opportunities, flexible scheduling, good part time work
Cons
Poor compensation
Management needs overhaul
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 11, 2018
The management is very bad at coordinating with it's tutors. The online platform could use some sprucing up as well. Company has a lOT of potential.
I enjoy my job
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 10, 2018
I enjoy working for Varsity Tutors. As a part-time remote employee, I feel respected and valued in the work I do. My manager is very kind and makes things as fun as work can be. As a retired teacher who put in a lot of extra hours over her career, I particularly enjoy the fact that at the end of my time, I can clock out, worry free.
Pros
Remote worker, bonuses, discounts on tutoring for self and famiily
Cons
no paid holidays/benefits
Fun and energetic atmosphere
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 9, 2018
My experience at Varsity Tutors has been great so far. The management team is very willing to help and truly wants you to succeed. Hard work pays off and is recognized. The atmosphere is upbeat, fun, collaborative, and casual.
Pros
Fellow employees, management, OT availability, help you succeed
Cons
Work days can be fairly long during peak season
Certified contracted Tutor
Certified Tutor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MN 55410October 3, 2018
This company was astute and professional.They allowed a schedule that was accommodating and convenient. Their dedication to education was proficient and knowledgeable.
Great company
math tutor (Current Employee) –  Online and sometimes in person.September 26, 2018
It feels good to assist young students who are so eager to learn and get ahead in there academic careers. There a sense of gratification above and beyond money when you see a student figure out a problem right in front of you. Priceless.
Pros
Helping Youth
Cons
Not enough hours
Varsity Tutors - Great System!
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2018
Varsity Tutors is a great place to make extra money. There's a lot of opportunity to work with a variety of students in multiple subject areas. I've had a great time working here, but sometimes i have to travel a distance to meet with a student for an hour. However, I'm a big fan of VTs and will continue to work as a contract employee.
Flexible Hours
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
A convenient place to work as you set your own availability and hours . You are notified when a student needs your services but you can choose whether or not to accept them based on how your schedule looks. A very good job as a part-time or even a full-time thing.
Varsity Tutors is a fun place to work, but with limited pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Varsity Tutors has many great things going for it. It will find clients and assign them to you, and handles a lot of back-end things. However, the cut it takes to your work is rather substantial.
Fun place to work; flexible schedule
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 6, 2018
This tutoring agency is very thorough in their hiring practices and they make sure their clients are appropriately matched to the right tutor. The most rewarding and challenging part of the job is tailoring a lesson plan that meets the students' learning ability. The company pays twice a week depending on when the tutoring sessions are scheduled.
Pros
A typical day is driving to the clients' homes, tutoring the student, giving feedback and writing a report after the session.
Cons
No cons
power to choose your schedule
IT Tutor assist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 6, 2018
As a tutor you can pick when you are available to work, and what's best for you and your student. You're able to provide the time and resources needed to work for you.
Very flexible - Work your own hours
Tutor (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 6, 2018
Varsity Tutors is a great place to work for anyone who loves to make that extra buck in addition to a full time job. I would not advice it as a full time job because the pay is quite low. That said, you can make your own schedules and work from home comfortably if you have a decent internet. The app is great. The technical help team is very prompt in answering your questions. There is a wide gamut of subjects that you can teach. The reviews that students leave you after the session is very encouraging. Only wish they paid more. It is not easy living in a major metropolitan city when you are paid meagre amounts unless you have another decently paying job.
Pros
Flexibility in subjects taught and time
Cons
Pay
Great for tutors and clients
tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineAugust 29, 2018
Fantastic online tutoring platform, extremely nice and helpful staff for client as well as tutor support, and anytime tech support. Pay could be a bit better but perfect for extra cash, part-time work, temporary work, etc. Pay for in-person tutoring is higher than for online, but online tutoring is great for people who have trouble getting around.
This company lies to you!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 28, 2018
As stated, this company is very dishonest and will never tell you the real reason a student decides to stop services with you. I would get student assignments and they would be dropped off my schedule with no warning. They usually don't inform you if a family is terminating services with you. You find out by checking your student list and they are no longer there or even worst, you log in to add your hours and the student's name is gone!

This company is solely profit driven. They don't care about your feelings. If you can make them money, then they will call you forever. If they don't need you, you don't exist.

This is the worst company I have ever worked for! No transparency whatsoever, they are full of lies, bad pay (you get less than 50% of what they are charging parents), and full of sheet.

Stop treating your tutors as if they are disposable! Also, it would be nice if the families would reach out to the tutor if they don't wish to continue. Getting an email from Varsity with no name attached will not do it!

Also, one time I said I couldn't take on an assignment and they asked me to call the parent. If I have to be polite and call the parent, then why can't you do the same and call me to do the same!
Pros
Cons
Most dishonest company ever!
Forget It
Tutor (Current Employee) –  USAAugust 24, 2018
Most likely if you sign up to be a tutor here--assuming it's your main bread and butter-- you're going to starve. Good luck getting an assignment! Have fun clicking that you're interested in opportunities cause you're likely never going to see the light of day on any of them.
Perfect if you enjoy a wild-goose chase!
Pros
The students (if you can avoid feeling pained over what it must be costing them)
Cons
See above. Might as well not have a job with the amount of opportunities delegated.
Reasonable pay, but no room for growth
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 23, 2018
Pros:

Make my own hours

Tutor my own style

Maintain relationships with students without
management interference

Management is mostly friendly and accomodating

Cons:

Not enough pay to afford cost-of-living in a big city

Management is often unwilling to negotiate rates, regardless of tutor experience or expertise (a tutor with a PhD and 20 years of experience gets paid the same as a tutor who just finished high school)

Managements can be unresponsive to certain administrative requests
Great temporary job with flexible schedule
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 20, 2018
The best parts about being a tutor with Varsity Tutors is the fact that I can set my own schedule and work from home, which are really helpful when you're a student! The most enjoyable part has to be seeing your tutees learn and get the hang of the topics they are coming to you for. On the other hand, the hardest part can be getting kids motivated to learn some of the material they are struggling with.
Nice Part-Time Work
Tutor (CT) (Current Employee) –  CTAugust 16, 2018
This job is great for people with full-time jobs, as you can schedule it around anything else going on. You are able to choose which clients you decide to work with, and then schedule and interact directly with the clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight