Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

They burn through employees. High turnover
Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 20, 2019
Brand new company. Making it up as they go. Have no regard for employees. Perform or be fired. Training is nonexistent and managers want those dials.
Pros
Can be fun
Cons
Turnover due to impossible goals.
The system seems to be more favorable to students than to tutors.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sparks, NVFebruary 14, 2019
Sessions, whether instant or scheduled, are hard to come by. The app's settings allow me to see notifications concerning opportunities, but I have to be glued to my devices to be able to respond quickly; I often receive apologies stating that the session was already taken by someone else.

If interest is expressed in a scheduled session, I often encounter messages stating that I will be notified as to whether the session will actually occur. I often receive messages which state that the student has been scheduled with another tutor. My questions take a while to be answered by management. These issues make me think that the existing algorithms are somehow programmed to cater more to the students' concerns than to those of the tutors.

I understand that students are integral to this kind of business, but tutors are not valued and compensated well for all of the preparation that they do. I recommend instituting policies such as automatic assignments on scheduled sessions so available tutors are not just relegated to participating in (often futile) rat-races for instant sessions.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay is low, tutors' time and efforts do not seem to be prioritized
students are great, management unfair
tutor (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYFebruary 12, 2019
I will start with the positives, I think Varsity is a great place to start off if you do not have any clients and if you have nothing else. The hours are flexible because you can do online instant tutoring whenever you want or do not want, this is great. But as far as in person tutoring, it takes forever to get in contact with a manager. THERE IS NO WAY TO CALL AND TALK TO SOMEONE, YOU MUST LEAVE A MESSAGE AND THEN IF THEY WISH TOO, THEY CALL YOU BACK 2 DAYS LATER. This is the most frustrating thing about this company. Also, they are 100% unresponsive when it comes t bonuses or raises so you could have a pHD and earn the same as a a recent graduate. Please find your own clients and charge what you are worth!
Pros
flexible
Cons
management pay unresponsive
Very Unstable
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAFebruary 4, 2019
Very few hours. After indicating interest in tutoring opportunity, assignment is given to someone else. Students do not show up on a regular basis. After repeated calls, student is still unable to be located. Instant tutoring interest button does not work often.
Pros
Not tied in, no set schedule
Cons
No regular, guaranteed paycheck
Flexible work hours
Online Tutor (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 2, 2019
This is a website that offers learning sessions to students from many different backgrounds. The website only gives employment to students who graduated from elite universities.
Flexible enviroment
Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2019
I enjoy working for Varsity Tutors. I enjoy the fact that at the end of my time, I can clock out or clock in. The hours are flexible and it gives you the option to not only do in person tutoring, but online sessions as well
Tutoring was ok
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2019
It’s great for students as you can set your own hours but it’s difficult having to travel far for your children and create lessons and most of that is done on your own time not paid
everything is online or over the phone
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 23, 2019
If you want to make a lot of money you can, but you need to be glued to your computer with a fast connection to get pop-up students. If you wait around for students to populate your subject area you wont get much work, there are plenty of tutors. I also had the experience of being asked to tutor outside my comfort zone and offered no extra compensation/
Paradise on the surface; The Sunken Place on the inside.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 15, 2019
The title says it all. As far as I'm concerned, combine the horrible environmental status of working in food retail with the hyper-stress of one million deadlines and there you go.
Ideal working environment
Online English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 10, 2019
Varsity Tutors is an excellent company to work for if you want to create and manage your own schedule. The managers are always available for questions and the clients are well-screened to facilitate an easy partnership between tutor and student.
Pros
independent working environment
Cons
competetive
Fun, temporary job for college students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 29, 2018
Varsity Tutors is a great place to work for college students and professionals that do not need a salary to compensate for the cost of living. Managing enough students to do so could be very hard to schedule, but being a part-time contractor to make enough money to pay a few bills and have some spending money in college is very reasonable. It has allowed me a great opportunity to grow my skills in numerous areas related to school and time management, and it is a job that I would recommend as perfect for a part-time gig.
Great Place to learn the nuts and bolts of inside sales
Educational Sales Director (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 28, 2018
Great place to learn the nuts and bolts of inside sales. Warm and friendly culture. Fantastic mission driven, service to students and parents. You learn how to sell a solution as a service and how to offer a value proposition that is both reasonable and honest. If you enjoy helping others one on one, this is a great opportunity. The workplace culture is an added bonus.
Pros
Flex working quarters, snacks, smart atmosphere
Cons
Pay is somewhat low.
Fun place to work
Educational Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 28, 2018
This was a fun place to work. The employees are great just wish the on-boarding process would not have been changed after I started. The schedule was great but then was changed to something different than I was told during interviews/hiring. If not for this I would still be working for them.
Awesome Flexibility, but low pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 11, 2018
You can choose your own hours at VT, but it's sometimes hard to get clients. The pay is alright if you're a student or just want a side job. I'd highly recommend VT to someone that's good at Math, SAT, or ACT.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Low Pay, Clients are hard to get
Low pay and terrible attitude
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CADecember 2, 2018
Varsity Tutors used to send me multiple job opportunities daily. I was logged in 24/7 and received no less than 10 opportunities every day. It all changed after they started to take my students out of my roster before I submitted my final invoice for the final session with them. When the student is not in the roster, the tutor can't invoice the session with that student. And whenever the students were supposed to have their final session they were on my roster up to the time when I scheduled their final session, but after I had provided the session and tried to invoice it, I would discover that the student is mysteriously removed from the roster and I can't invoice the session. It happened a few times. I tried to call, but nobody answers the phone. I left voice mails, but nobody called back. I emailed, but no one replied. Finally, I wrote an email that would definitely catch their attention. I said that if they keep treating me like that I will take my students and work with them outside of Varsity Tutors system. I knew very well about the terms of the contract that indicated the no solicitation agreement, but that was the only way to make Varsity Tutors react somehow on my emails and messages. They finally reactivated the student on my roster and enabled the invoicing. Moreover, I got a call from a manager who threatened to cancel my contract for meeting tutoring their students outside of their system. I explained him the situation, and heard that not only I have to provide tutoring, but also call or email them to get paid if they failed to do their job correctly and removed  more... the student from the roster too early. You know what, this is too much! They charge the student very high rates and hardly pay the third of it to the tutors. These "wonderful" managers keep the 2/3 of the money they charge the students to themselves and can't even do their job correctly. They want the tutors to tutor the students for a few pennies, but in order to et those pennies, the tutors are also supposed to spend half-a-day calling and emailing them. I sent an email complaining about their attitude and work ethics. I never provided sessions to Varsity Tutors students outside of their company. My contract was never cancelled, however I don't get any more tutoring opportunities. I get text messages that there are opportunities available, but they never show up on my tutor account in the computer. The Varsity Tutors tech department claims that there are no tech issues with my account. This means that they just stopped sending me opportunities, because I told them to be more ethical in their work relationships with the tutors and do their job more accurately. Terrible company with very low work ethics!  less
Good, solid part time job
Elementary level tutor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 1, 2018
My comment to management: Show you value the tutors who are the "face" of your organization and boost their pay periodically. The tutors are the ones who are making your business a success by our work with the clients, our timeliness, our skill.
Pros
Ability to choose area(s) where you wish to work, freedom to choose what subject areas you'd like to tutor in, never any issues with getting paid, online access available 24/7, well designed website to log onto and get information from.
Cons
Once they set your pay rate, you are locked in. I believe for a long time tutor, such as myself, who has great client ratings, your success should be recognized with an increase in your hourly rate.
Efficient and exciting organization!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 27, 2018
Very well-run company - they do an excellent job of matching students to tutors and the staff provides fantastic support for any possible issue! Allows you to tailor your workload to your schedule and has good flexibility when needed.
Pros
Great staff, strong support system, wonderful students
Cons
Slightly low pay, not many opportunities for pay increases
Flexible
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2018
I like that I am able to make my own hours. Students want to learn and grow. I love working with students. Parents are very appreciative. I’m a teacher so the extra money is very helpful.
Convenient tutoring opportunity
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 16, 2018
The best part of tutoring for Varsity is the convenience. Tutors can set their own hours and take as many or as few students as they desire. Tutoring can be done anywhere/anytime, and you can choose the subjects with which you feel most comfortable. The students tend to be hard-working and respectful, and this helps to make the tutoring experience a rewarding one as well.
Great experience as a tutor
Tutor (Current Employee) –  ChicagoNovember 15, 2018
I’m currently a student on gap year, and I have had a wonderful experience as a tutor. I can choose my own clients, choose my own schedule, and work from the comfort of my own home.

I agree with other reviews that the pay isn’t great, but as I’m a student who doesn’t plan on working for Varsity Tutors as a career, I have no complaints.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight