Varsity Tutors
Happiness rating is 74 out of 100

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

Varsity Tutors insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

not enough rate of tutor job (30% of company fee)

According my experience there is late response of tutor requests; low rate of tutor payment; a very slowly change rate and very small pay rise of the tutor. I think, there is unjustified ratio of the amount between the company and tutoring fees. For example, another tutoring companies similar to Varsity, offer rate starting from 50% of client fee and after 40-50 hours of tutiring rase it to 60%.

Great side hustle

Great side hustle, chill job, they provide most of the resources and have a call center you can call if anything goes wrong. Nice kids, just need to tutor

Very impersonal platform and no support/feedback during teaching

You'll be luck to speak to anyone in management about feedback or getting new business. Expect to be on your own and in the dark about how you are doing between sessions. If you want a recommendation for your freelance work (to get other opportunities) you will not be able to get this. Sometimes you'll teach huge classes for limited incentive for building for the future. Rosters for classes are put together hastily and they change the terms of their work conditions change from time to time without any of your input into this.

Pros

Remote work

Cons

No personal interaction, limited feedback, difficult to understand how opportunities are distributed

Flexible company that allows you to work at your own pace (decent if you need quick cash)

I applied to this job on a whim, not necessarily knowing what kinds of opportunities I'd receive. Now that I know, they're no different from tutoring jobs or (if you're a game design like I am) coding camps. On the bright side, it's a great job if you need extra cash on the side or want to practice your teaching skills.

Pros

Flexible schedule, work at your own pace, can take on any number of opportunities

Cons

Low pay, you must accommodate to what the opportunity asks of the tutor (not the other way around)

Has its pros and cons

Some of the practices are questionable but overall you’re helping people. Managers are helpful when they’re on and overall it’s not a bad place to work.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Nice remote company to work for - terrible pay

I worked in a few departments (sales and acquisition) and the sales were absolutely the worst. The acquisition department was better but the pay was lower.

Pros

You have some say over your schedule, they do offer benefits, teams are usually pretty friendly

Cons

long hours, low compensation for high expectations

Wonderfully flexible, just what I was looking for

I really enjoy working for varsity tutors. I have only had really good clients. And even though the work is remote, the company is really good about getting back to me about any questions or concerns.

Tutor

Management needs help. Be prepared to not get your questions answered. They hire a lot of folks and you are just a number. It is ok gig work but doesn't pay the best.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

It's gig work, nothing exceptional

Tutoring in math and physics, I have the flexibility to set my work hours and can work almost entirely independently. It has all the pitfalls of gig work, and the pay is 2 to 4 time less than I could ask for if I did the same work without going through the company

Cons

gig work, no benefits, taxable as self-employed income

not worth it

There is no real algorithm to get customers. Not to mention the "best" hours are hours most would typically either be asleep or doing other things such as the weekend of 10pm. It's hard to rack up students if you don't know anyone that'll sign up just to have you tutor them there instead of through other means.

Jobs at Varsity Tutors

See more jobs

A terrible company to work for

This company charges their students an insane amount of money and barely pays their tutors 1/4 of the amount they charge. Also, they do not provide any material and cannot be reached during times of need.

Pros

Cons

Terrible pay and terrible communication between tutors and company

Chaotic

Work from home seems desirable until you’re actually thrown in. And I mean literally thrown in to the wolves. Rushed training, prepared or not you’re taking calls. You have to be the problem solver because good luck getting management to help you in a chat. It’s a very chaotic way of working and unnecessary. If you want to give yourself an anxiety disorder this is the place for you!

Pros

Cons

Terrible schedule and hard to change, chaotic calling of customers with no back up help

Idk

Just getting started.It seems OK but time will tell.So far it is taking time to get used to their portal.I think the trick is going to be if students are realistic in their expectations from the tutor.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

landing an actually assignment after competing with other tutors

Okay but pay is low and I would prefer a day job

I think the company is okay but other than the technical staff I don't have any contact w/ supervisors. That being said, some of their technical staff are very good. I don't think the pay is adequate considering my education level and preparation required.

Cons

Not adquately compensated

Worst paying company for tutors.

It has a very low tutor's pay 15$ / hr. The client pays 75$. They find the client, you do the rest. No pay for prep time. No material was provided. Not worth the time. I charge $40/hr to my students and use varsity only when I have free time as they pay me less than 20% of what the client pays them

Pros

flexible schedule.

Cons

Low rates

Mismanaged, chaotic, and unprofessional

The daily job tasks were not at all what I was expecting after reading the position summary from the original posting. The position was not about building relationships with clients and truly helping them grow, it was about getting the most amount of money in the shortest possible phone conversation. Which is why, as part of the team that dealt with existing customers, I processed so many refunds. I would have a minimum of one call a day from an angry/frustrated customer that was demanding a refund because the person who sold him/her the tutoring hours didn't explain the time it took to be connected with a tutor. One of the big things management pushed was for us to "be the expert" on the phones. However, the company has tutors for hundreds of subjects, including professional certifications and entrance exams. We weren't given any training on the basics of any of these subjects or exams. I always had to have a tab open to Google so I could at least pretend to have an idea of what some of the customers were talking about.There were some other questionable things happening at the company. The way we were told tutors were hired (a very intense process) wasn't exactly the case. I spoke to a tutor who had been recently hired and never had to take some of the steps the company told us were required in the interview process for tutors. It was brought up a couple times that it might be a good idea to lie to customers to help make a sale (i.e. if the customer has a kid in fourth grade, pretend you do too). Different managers gave you different answers on company policies. There was -

Pros

good pay, company provides laptop

Cons

awful management, shady sales practices, working six days in a row every other week

Excellent Opportunity for Side Income

This opportunity provided me with an excellent opportunity to teach what I knew. I loved creating and managing my own schedule as i traveled the local area. It is a great opportunity to meet new people as well as teach. With that said, there is an element of professionalism involved: on time, dressed, prepared for work. Plus, with a positive response, the company pairs your teaching style to the students that learn best with that teaching style. They try to pair you up with your interests as well as compatibility. All in all, a great first tutoring company!

Pros

Great Management, excellent interface, flexible schedule, work anywhere

Cons

Introductory pay rate

Weigh all options before accepting a position!

Working at Varsity Tutors used to be great! Employees felt cared about and great work was acknowledged, across the board. Clients felt cared about. Now, it's a call center where each caller is just a dollar sign. If not a dollar sign, not worth a call (in their eyes). Metrics are outrageous and serious micromanaging going on. New employees are thrown on the phones with very minimal training. Management doesn't care, as long as they are making sales. Asked to fib to clients and potential clients. Asked to, essentially, guilt people into purchasing. Then... try to get paid HA! While I didn't deal with it, several coworkers didn't receive their final pay that they were entitled to. One friend had to go the legal route to get paid. While the company itself has great products, they've lost their customer service abilities which really brings the company down, in my eyes.

Pros

Wfh, good benefits

Cons

Mandatory OT, set up for failure with metrics requirements if you don't work OT), can't get paid, management allows for clients to curse and insult employees and they must take it all, no support from managers on these calls.

Steer clear

Training was lively (although rushed, with little to no time before being thrown in to speak with clients). I thought it was a customer care or even advisory-type role, but it was actually sales. Work-life balance is awful, you're constantly hounded to put in as much OT as you physically can. Management is just promoted from their previous role, with seemingly no management training. Your job is always on the line, and the competitive culture leaves you isolated and feeling like you'll never measure up to colleagues. There is no ongoing training, even when you ask for it directly. Their sales tactics are thinly veiled manipulation. Overall, steer clear. Your mental health will thank you.

Intense and manipulative tactics

The job is done remotely, which was very convenient, but that’s where the positives end. The training is at breakneck speed, with little or no time to practice the skills before being thrown into working with actual clients. This leads to a lot of errors on client pages, which I noted during the short time I worked there. The sales tactics that are expected are nothing more than manipulating customers into buying overpriced tutoring services. If you end a conversation without attempting a sale, you get called out. I thought I was applying for a customer service job, but it is really sales. Very high turnover of staff.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Rushed, hurried training

Flexible schedule

During my time here, Varsity was very laid back with employees on their metrics and had an extremely flexible schedule, which made the work/life balance great! It was a comfortable place to work but job security and advancements was only possible for their favorite employees. Aside from the clear favoritism, the position was great!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Varsity Tutors with

• Varsity Tutors
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?