Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

I enjoy my job
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 10, 2018
I enjoy working for Varsity Tutors. As a part-time remote employee, I feel respected and valued in the work I do. My manager is very kind and makes things as fun as work can be. As a retired teacher who put in a lot of extra hours over her career, I particularly enjoy the fact that at the end of my time, I can clock out, worry free.
Pros
Remote worker, bonuses, discounts on tutoring for self and famiily
Cons
no paid holidays/benefits
Good for a side job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for Varsity Tutors for the most part. I appreciated the flexibility that working for them online offered, in terms of my time management. I was able to schedule students around my other jobs. They don't offer much in the way of career advancement, and don't pay as well as the advertisements say, unless you do in person tutoring. In addition, payment is entirely dependent on having people who need tutoring, which is sometimes not the case during summer/winter breaks.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Low pay, no opportunity for raises
Comfortable Flexilble Part Time Contract Work
Test prep tutor ACT, SAT, SSAT, ISEE (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 11, 2018
I give VT a 5 star rating. I love my students and the facts that I make my own schedule and teach my own materials and style. I can accept or not any tutoring opportunity with no pressure to take on additional work. I am paid twice a week for hours worked. The compensation is, in my opinion, very low with a ceiling based on my area, and, since it is contract work, no taxes are taken out of the direct deposit to my bank account. I am able to work from home, however, online, which is a big plus since I spent many years on the road doing home tutoring. I now only work online when I want to, and I can easily control my schedule. The opportunities are many and I never go without the fullest schedule I care to have..
Pros
Many opportunities, flexible scheduling, good part time work
Cons
Poor compensation
Good, solid part time job
Elementary level tutor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 1, 2018
My comment to management: Show you value the tutors who are the "face" of your organization and boost their pay periodically. The tutors are the ones who are making your business a success by our work with the clients, our timeliness, our skill.
Pros
Ability to choose area(s) where you wish to work, freedom to choose what subject areas you'd like to tutor in, never any issues with getting paid, online access available 24/7, well designed website to log onto and get information from.
Cons
Once they set your pay rate, you are locked in. I believe for a long time tutor, such as myself, who has great client ratings, your success should be recognized with an increase in your hourly rate.
Decent Online Tutoring Company
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2018
You're getting a mixed bag when working with Varsity Tutors, but it's a mostly positive experience. You are an independent contractor that uses their platform, which means you get to set your own hours, pick your own clients, and teach using your personal style. They are also relatively low hassle if things aren't working with a particular client and you want to stop tutoring them. Varsity support staff is quite prompt in their response times and they are always very friendly, which is great.

While Varsity is flexible with scheduling, their compensation rates leave a little to be desired. For most online tutoring subjects, I make $13 an hour. Not abyssmal, but definitely not great, especially if I want to support myself with only this job. For more advanced online subjects (MCAT), I make $25/hr, which is a little better. Definitely less than private tutoring or working for a test prep company. However, I can't complain too much since I do get to work from home. Pay aside, Varsity's platform can be buggy at times and their tech suppor is not always capable of nailing down the issues.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Pay
Great Place to Work and Great Place to Grow
Lead Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clayton, MO 63105June 23, 2018
It is truly a blessing to have a job at Varsity Tutors. The work life and ppl I work with make coming to work all that better. They promote from within and encourage you on your promotional journey and
Pros
Great Atomsphere & Great Promotional Opportunities
Cons
Working Weekends
Reasonable pay, but no room for growth
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 23, 2018
Pros:

Make my own hours

Tutor my own style

Maintain relationships with students without
management interference

Management is mostly friendly and accomodating

Cons:

Not enough pay to afford cost-of-living in a big city

Management is often unwilling to negotiate rates, regardless of tutor experience or expertise (a tutor with a PhD and 20 years of experience gets paid the same as a tutor who just finished high school)

Managements can be unresponsive to certain administrative requests
Great Company and Management, low compensation.
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 1, 2018
I've been working for Varsity for about 6 months now. I've had some of my best experiences tutoring through them. I am very satisfied with the management, with their professionalism and usefulness. Hands down a great tutoring company.

I am only dissatisfied with the pay. It doesn't compensate well for an individual's expertise on a subject or tutoring.
Pros
Management, Platform
Cons
Pay
Can't Recommend This Employer
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2018
I've worked at Varsity Tutors for just under a year and can not, in good conscience, recommend applying here. The method to get work through VT is by applying on a board of job postings; you are entirely at the mercy of the company to consider whether or not you are actually assigned any work. As such, depending on your approved subjects, you may find yourself working 2-3 hour weeks for $15 to $22 an hour. For instance, in the last 2 weeks I have put my name on the list for every post I have seen on the job board and have been given 0 assignments. I am actively seeking employment elsewhere since at the moment, I am essentially unemployed with Varsity Tutors. Other online tutoring services such as Wyzant offer significantly better compensation, and tutoring in-person independently is a much better alternative than through a third party that takes a majority cut of the hourly cost of your sessions. Bottom line, I strongly suggest not applying to Varsity Tutors.
Pros
Work from home, frequent direct deposit payment
Cons
Terrible hours, bad hourly pay, experience with clients varies
Fun and energetic atmosphere
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 9, 2018
My experience at Varsity Tutors has been great so far. The management team is very willing to help and truly wants you to succeed. Hard work pays off and is recognized. The atmosphere is upbeat, fun, collaborative, and casual.
Pros
Fellow employees, management, OT availability, help you succeed
Cons
Work days can be fairly long during peak season
tutoring with Varsity Tutors
Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineOctober 22, 2018
The upside is that management is laid back and really let you tutor the way you are comfortable. The pay is OK, but could be better. During the school year, there are many opportunities for tutoring. You get to develop a relationship with your students, which is nice, as opposed to always working with new people.
Pros
relaxed working environment
Cons
pay
Great experience as a tutor
Tutor (Current Employee) –  ChicagoNovember 15, 2018
I’m currently a student on gap year, and I have had a wonderful experience as a tutor. I can choose my own clients, choose my own schedule, and work from the comfort of my own home.

I agree with other reviews that the pay isn’t great, but as I’m a student who doesn’t plan on working for Varsity Tutors as a career, I have no complaints.
GREAT Stay-at-Home Job
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  PAOctober 26, 2018
I love working for Varsity Tutors! I have worked a year in a time when I wanted to be working from home. A school teaching job came my way so I have cut back on my VT tutoring, but I am not stopping--I enjoy my students too much. For the most part, students are serious learners. The tutoring set up on the VT website is amazing! For the occasional technical issue VT Tech Support is quick and capable and so friendly and patient. The hourly pay is not what I am used to for tutoring, but being at home (no travel, no gas expense, barefoot if I want!! Haha) makes up for some of the low pay. Working with the students is great!
Pros
at home, IT included, help from office staff
Cons
low hourly pay for private tutoring
Great company
math tutor (Current Employee) –  Online and sometimes in person.September 26, 2018
It feels good to assist young students who are so eager to learn and get ahead in there academic careers. There a sense of gratification above and beyond money when you see a student figure out a problem right in front of you. Priceless.
Pros
Helping Youth
Cons
Not enough hours
Very flexible - Work your own hours
Tutor (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 6, 2018
Varsity Tutors is a great place to work for anyone who loves to make that extra buck in addition to a full time job. I would not advice it as a full time job because the pay is quite low. That said, you can make your own schedules and work from home comfortably if you have a decent internet. The app is great. The technical help team is very prompt in answering your questions. There is a wide gamut of subjects that you can teach. The reviews that students leave you after the session is very encouraging. Only wish they paid more. It is not easy living in a major metropolitan city when you are paid meagre amounts unless you have another decently paying job.
Pros
Flexibility in subjects taught and time
Cons
Pay
Management needs overhaul
Online Instructor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 11, 2018
The management is very bad at coordinating with it's tutors. The online platform could use some sprucing up as well. Company has a lOT of potential.
Okay tutoring service
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 9, 2018
The main complaint is lack of students to tutor so there was too much competition. It wasn't really a steady salary. There was also a lack of management when it came to which clients could go to who.
Pros
wage
Cons
competition
Varsity Tutors is a wonderful company for students to work for!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 10, 2018
The company is a wonderful one to work for especially if you are a full time student at a university. The hours are incredibly flexible because you decide your own hours. If you want to take one client on weekly, you can. If you want 10, you can also do that as well. This is technically a contractor job, so varsity will not automatically grant you students upon hire. You must create a profile and then accept opportunities as they come. No upward mobility for tutors outside of a minor raise. Regardless the pay is decent.
Pros
Easy scheduing
Cons
limited vertical movement
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2018
This is a good part-time job for a student who is not dependent on consistent income. It is a 1099 contract position. There is opportunity to earn extra income, however, the wage compensation does not offset the cost of driving to student's homes.
Pros
Poor compensation
The best place I've ever worked
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 3, 2018
I love Varsity. I've been with them for three years, and I have so much flexibility in what I do (which just happens to be something I love). The students are usually very willing to learn and it's often their idea, not their parent's idea, to get a tutor. I couldn't recommend them more.
Pros
Pick your own schedule, extremely flexible, excellent customer service
Cons
No job security, empty in the summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight