Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Sales Rep
Sales Representaitive (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 20, 2018
I've been with Varsity Tutors for over a year. I entered this job with zero sales experience, and I have met or exceeded quota 12/12 months. It's a great environment, and they set you up for success.
Pros
Food, Culture, Pto
Good for a side job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for Varsity Tutors for the most part. I appreciated the flexibility that working for them online offered, in terms of my time management. I was able to schedule students around my other jobs. They don't offer much in the way of career advancement, and don't pay as well as the advertisements say, unless you do in person tutoring. In addition, payment is entirely dependent on having people who need tutoring, which is sometimes not the case during summer/winter breaks.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Low pay, no opportunity for raises
Good Environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 17, 2018
Overall, the process is simple in receiving, booking, and invoicing sessions. The platform instrumentally offers assistance through lesson plans. This is a good company.
Pros
Legitimate Work
Cons
Must obtain multiple clients every day to obtain sustainable work.
Interesting
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 11, 2018
You deal with different people and you have freedom to use your techniques to teach and tutor students. Great pay, but dont always have students to tutor.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
Not enough hours, really conoetive to get students
Productive, Fun place to work
Executive Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 10, 2018
I love this job and everything about it. I love the people and staff were great. I learned so much in a short amount of time. They encourage change and teach you how to adapt quick. They believe in the employees is what makes the company and so do I. I would recommend a career there to anyone.
Pros
Free lunches, labtop, and etc.
Cons
nothing
Okay tutoring service
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 9, 2018
The main complaint is lack of students to tutor so there was too much competition. It wasn't really a steady salary. There was also a lack of management when it came to which clients could go to who.
Pros
wage
Cons
competition
Varsity Tutors
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 7, 2018
In the interview process they make it seem like a different job than it actually is - this is a call center and you are expected to make 250 calls/day. The management is awful.
Good Part-time Gig
Online Tutor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Allston, MAApril 20, 2018
It's easy to find online opportunities to work which you do not need to travel. You can work from your home or desk which made it really convenient for me as a full-time student to make some money outside of school.
Good pay If you know your stuff
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2018
I've been teaching for a while and i might have gotten burnt out in teaching, i do keep some students but do not look into finding new ones even though i get the opportunity .
Supportive, Student-Focused Environment
Private Tutor/Contractor (Former Employee) –  North Bend, WA, USAApril 11, 2018
Varsity Tutors provides both employees and clients with an equally responsive and supportive communications and feedback. Their model is focused on student satisfaction and employee well-being, which are seen to support each other.
Flexible
Tutor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 9, 2018
They gave me clients and there were only so many afternoon hours in the week I could work.
Good pay but I end up loosing money on the back end with the amount of driving I had to do.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Driving
This is an EXCELLENT way to work for yourself!
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 7, 2018
I work only on the days I want to. There is no getting fired. I make $18 per hour and most sessions last for at least one and a half hours.

No boss and no slaving for 8 hours per day. No uniforms to wear, and no back breaking work yet make more than one thousand dollars per month. No weekends (unless I schedule a lesson then).

I love that this company exists. I am free to live my life on my own terms now. THANK YOU Varsity Tutors.
Pros
fun train rides to "work;" I create and edit my own working schedule; no boss; great pay;
Excellent place to work.
Self Employed (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29205April 5, 2018
A laid back atmosphere that allowed for you to create your own schedule and work with the clients that you chose, you could also schedule work at the location of your choice.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere with work your own schedule.
Convenient
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALApril 4, 2018
Working for varsity tutors isn't bad, I just wish there were more opportunities. Im qualified to teach over 15 subjects and can sometimes not get a single opportunity for several hours.
Excellent Student Job
Contract Tutor (Current Employee) –  OnlineApril 4, 2018
With Varsity Tutors, you are completely in control of your work schedule. There is minimal job competition when compared to larger tutoring companies, so if you have time for more students, its almost certain that you will get more students. The system certainly likes to notify you of every little change, and gets on you to keep a constant schedule with your students, however that's better than a company that lets things slip under the radar. If you are looking for a way to make a few extra dollars to spend on the weekends, then this is the job for you.
Pros
Flexibility, salary
Cons
Email spam, lagging servers
Fun but also Daunting
Private Teacher & Tutor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 29, 2018
It is fun but also daunting with little pay. I wish that they would pay around $20-25,- an hour. This would be great for the area that I live in. A lot of it is online, in my department, so that is also an issue for me.
Pros
There are not benefits
Cons
There are no benefits
Uber for Tutoring
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2018
Overall the app is useful, but as someone who worked for them I will tell you that it is pretty much Uber for tutoring. Yes you make your own hours and can work from home, but a lot of this job is up to the client. And a lot of the matches don't work out. I am primarily an English Composition tutor and I was getting requests to teach piano and voice lessons. While I love the students I kept on after my first few months (and currently they are my only students and only reason I stay on the app) it is a lot of on your own work, far driven hours, and A LOT of miscommunication. I wish someone had told me it was Uber for tutoring.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Great Clients, Teaching Experience
Cons
No Management, Bad Matches.
Self-Determined amount of work
Standardized Testing and English Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 23, 2018
You can work as much or as little as you like. The job is entirely dependent on how much time and effort you are willing to put into the students assigned to you, which can make it extremely rewarding if you are willing to put said work in.
Great Side Job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 20, 2018
Had this job for a main job during college and it was good up until i wasnt making enough working here. Although you make your own hours for working, the compensation was not enough. As a second job it is excellent! Plus the feeling of helping others is there!
Only useful for experience, pay is insubstantial
EDITING CONSULTANT/PRIVATE TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2018
$17 per hour provided to tutors when average rate is $40-50. Contract workers for Varsity Tutors are provided with clients who do not entirely match with proficient level of study, and sometimes not even the right field of study. When a client requests a study skills tutor, normally this means they don't actually want a study skills tutor, but a tutor for a specific field of study. Varsity Tutors HQ does not inquire further and leaves issue to be resolved between client and tutor.
Pay is often eaten up by gas and vehicle maintenance and other transportation costs as clients provided often live far outside preferred area. Clearly, Varsity Tutors tries to set up new clients with effective tutors, but fail to persuade clients to meet tutors online, which forces tutors to spend the money they earn on transportation instead of supplies for activities, which also have to be supplied by tutor.
I don't know how much Varsity Tutors charge clients, but the lion's share goes to the company and not to the tutor who works on the front lines with students and clients.
Pros
Freedom to manage self, helpful call enter
Cons
no supplies provided, no paid transportation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

1.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss