Varsity Tutors
Happiness rating is 69 out of 100

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

United States748 reviews

tutorstudentonlineplatformsessionsubjectclientflexibility

not enough rate of tutor job (30% of company fee)

According my experience there is late response of tutor requests; low rate of tutor payment; a very slowly change rate and very small pay rise of the tutor. I think, there is unjustified ratio of the amount between the company and tutoring fees. For example, another tutoring companies similar to Varsity, offer rate starting from 50% of client fee and after 40-50 hours of tutiring rase it to 60%.

Amazing staff, good pay

Varsity is a great company to work with I would recommend them to anyone. They give bonuses and they pay you for extra work or effort that you put in. No benefits or anything since it’s an independent contractor job, but that is something very clear and up front. They have a clear, secure system to see how much you’ve been paid and when as well as your tax forms which makes it so much easier to be a contractor. The staff is so friendly and helpful and all the clients are amazing.

Pros

Work as much or as little as you want, remote or in person work, good pay, great staff, great clients

Cons

No benefits because you’re an independent contractor

Varsity Tutors insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Poor onboarding and training. Unrealistic expectations

Pros: working from home and all equipment is provided. Pay is decent. Overtime available. Cons: the training is minimum and you are thrown to the wolves with very little knowledge on how to do the the job effectively. Management is nice but not great at communicating important information about how to do the job effectively outside of pushing sales sales sales. Questions are rarely answered in a timely manner.

Great Place to Work if you have little responsibilites or can get a lot of clients

They provide a great work-life balance as your schedule is 100% managed by you. The pay is sub-par, starting at $15/hr for most tutors and there is no raise offered after working there for 6+ months.If you want to make a living at Varsity Tutors, you need to get a lot of students and devote a lot of time to them. It can be a good side hustle or way to build your teaching experience.

Good pay but don’t keep a lot of people

The pay here is good but it is lots of calling people who are not interested in the product. They don’t keep you for long if you’re not making sales.

Very stressful

Lot of people always going in and out turnover is high. The quotas got to be so high and it was extremely stressful with little support. Management also kept leaving and it was hard to establish yourself on a team because it was constantly changing

Good first tutoring job

After learning from other reviews how much VT charges for their students (approx $60/hr), and how little the tutors are paid ($15/hr), it's clear the tutors are underpaid for the amount of work they do. That being said, it is definitely a great way to get your foot in the door and secure a job in tutoring. This gives you some experience that can be used at other tutoring companies, or self-employment.I enjoy tutoring because it keeps me fresh on the material and I enjoy helping students.

Pros

Work when you want to

Cons

Low pay

Educational Sales Consultant

Horrible! Don’t believe the hype! Unrealistic expectations and overpriced tutoring from extremely unqualified tutors. Management is lacking and requires you meet expectations for selling tutoring services from unqualified tutors. Lack of quality tutors and no opportunities for advancement.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

No advancement opportunities, expectations for sales totally unrealistic, training lacking and management expectations are ridiculous

Not A Good Work Environment

Extremely high outbound calling. Not good forMental health if you can’t handle at least 200Calls a day. Management was helpful though and gave a lot of tips and tricks to sell people tutoring packages. Training is quick but they are helpful. Still wouldn’t go back because of the extremely high call volume

Not forthcoming nor consistent with contracted pay

I was assigned to individual tutoring and school opportunities with an agreed upon contracted pay. However, when opportunities arose to tutor, the pay was not the contracted amount agreed upon. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told it would take 72 hours to return my call and address my concerns regarding the discrepancy...leaving me with no options to work until this was addressed. Would not recomment this tutoring company - I have since resigned

Pros

Online platform

Cons

tutor expected to provide materials and design a curriculum at tutors cost

They have many job opportunities, too many emails to different parts of the co

Overall, I am glad for the opportunity to work for them. It gives me the experience needed. The training, like on the platform, is very minimal, and not upfront. You have to ask about it.

Busy Workday, hopefully made a difference

I really enjoyed my time working with Varsity Tutors at the beginning, the management was supportive and I really did think I had a future with this company. Although after new management came on board in our department, the culture kinda changed. Over the course of my time with the company, I got to meet some very talented people, people who were there because they wanted to make a difference. I also got to meet some wonderful tutors who love to see students' succeed in the world. All together, I enjoyed my time working at Varsity Tutors and wish to have continued. If I was given the chance to return to Varsity Tutors, I would change how I balance my workload, family time and would build more connections with the team to be more successful at the company.

Pros

Remote, Benefits, and Pay

flexible hours

I enjoy tutoring for Varsity Tutors. I can set my own availability, and if I need to take time off, it's not difficult. The work can be challenging but not difficult, and I meet a lot of cute, fun children. I only work with elementary aged children.

Possibility to make money but limited to STEM subjects

While there are students looking for tutors in subjects other than STEM, there are significantly less and those opportunities typically pay less (the students pay significantly more than what you earn outright).

Organized Tutoring System, but low pay.

The average of $15/hr for the work put in for all grades is low. Teachers are not paid enough for their work value as compared to independent tutoring.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Low Pay

It's a decent side-gig

This is definitely a good side-gig for professionals who are looking to make some extra income.That being said, be prepared to deal with a lot of inconsistencies when it comes to getting clients, the opportunities you get, and despite supposedly having a "director" never knowing who to really bring up issues with.

Pros

Set your own schedule

Cons

No real transparency about how assignments are done

Flexible time

It is a great opportunity to build classes around flexible hours and free teaching autonomy. The use of an online platform is a plus to stand out the educational services provided to the students.

Pros

Flexible time

Cons

Non-Steady classes

The tech support is outstanding.

Whether it is you the teacher, or the student having difficulty getting onto the platform, the tech support at Varsity Tutor is there in less than a minute talking with the parent or teacher to work out the problem and have you on task within minutes. They are the best tech support I have ever seen working for a company.The hardest part of the job is developing your own lessons for each child but the most enjoyable is seeing them grow.

Pay is very little

I tutor Excel and their interface for that is not very good. They seem to be OK at providing opportunities and very helpful in support if you need that.

Pros

They take care of invoicing

Cons

Pay is not great

This place is a huge scam for both tutors and students

Their business model is made to get as much money out of people as they can The experienced/best tutors are given last so they can make more money. NO

Pros

Work from home

Cons

They don’t give students the best tutors, scam to make more money, don’t give the truth about anything

Great place to work with limited hours available during summer. Varsity tutors are very independent and choose the hours that they want to work. The pay is not the best at 15 hr

Common questions about Varsity Tutors

Answered by current and former employees at Varsity Tutors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.2Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

40%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss