Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Excellent Employer
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 14, 2018
Work was fantastic, the employer was accommodating, and the clients were delightful. The only complaint I have is that it is very hard to support yourself on the pay.
Cons
pay isn't great
Loved working from home
Assistant Office Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 8, 2018
I loved having the ability to work from home. The office manager did require me to work more than 40 hours a week. Despite that and the lower pay I received, I enjoyed my job. The company summit in Las Vegas was amazing and informative. I had the opportunity to work with the advertising department to hone my skills and place more effective online job postings. I gained a better understanding of the companies future.
Pros
working from home, company trip to Las Vegas for training
Cons
50-60 hour work weeks, low pay given the amount of required hours
Enjoyable experience
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 7, 2018
It was enjoyable to meet with new students who wanted to learn. Hardest part was to learn the best way for students to learn. Every student is different.
Wonderful Part-Time Job
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 3, 2018
User friendly website and app. Easy to communicate with managers and new clients. ;Easy to acquire new clients. Compensation is fair. I enjoyed working independently.
Great Help for Tutors
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2018
the flexibility and pay rate were great. However, when you take into account the low weekly work load and the time for transportation and the cost of gas, the pay isn't reliable. I had to supplement my income with personal clients and other side gigs.
Test Prep Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2018
This is a good company to work for. You are an independent tutor and there is flexibility of scheduling. The pay is good and prompt. You are paid twice a week. All in all a great workplace.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Nothing in particular
Poor compensation
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2018
This is a good part-time job for a student who is not dependent on consistent income. It is a 1099 contract position. There is opportunity to earn extra income, however, the wage compensation does not offset the cost of driving to student's homes.
Pros
Poor compensation
Flexible and Great Learning Experience
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 10, 2018
Working at Varsity Tutors has been a great learning experience for me. It also has flexible working hours. I have learned so much and was able to help other students out in various subjects.
Can't Recommend This Employer
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 24, 2018
I've worked at Varsity Tutors for just under a year and can not, in good conscience, recommend applying here. The method to get work through VT is by applying on a board of job postings; you are entirely at the mercy of the company to consider whether or not you are actually assigned any work. As such, depending on your approved subjects, you may find yourself working 2-3 hour weeks for $15 to $22 an hour. For instance, in the last 2 weeks I have put my name on the list for every post I have seen on the job board and have been given 0 assignments. I am actively seeking employment elsewhere since at the moment, I am essentially unemployed with Varsity Tutors. Other online tutoring services such as Wyzant offer significantly better compensation, and tutoring in-person independently is a much better alternative than through a third party that takes a majority cut of the hourly cost of your sessions. Bottom line, I strongly suggest not applying to Varsity Tutors.
Pros
Work from home, frequent direct deposit payment
Cons
Terrible hours, bad hourly pay, experience with clients varies
Great Place to Work and Great Place to Grow
Lead Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clayton, MO 63105June 23, 2018
It is truly a blessing to have a job at Varsity Tutors. The work life and ppl I work with make coming to work all that better. They promote from within and encourage you on your promotional journey and
Pros
Great Atomsphere & Great Promotional Opportunities
Cons
Working Weekends
Flexible
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Paoli, PAJune 21, 2018
Pick hours and pay that fits. Strengths include setting your own schedule that can coincide with a job or school life. Weakness includes having to re learn large amounts of material.
The Value of Mentorship
Educational Mentor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 13, 2018
I was hired by VT to help students overcome there fear and struggle of certain subjects. Soon after starting, I realized my purpose was more than just helping a child learn math and science. My purpose was to help a child in-vision his future and achieve those dreams we all have when we are kids.
Work environment
Inside Client Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 13, 2018
The company hires great tutors, but the work environment needs a major change. You are treated like a number and the favoritism shows dramatically. If your'e not one of the favorites, don't plan to stay long.
Pros
Free tutoring hours
Cons
Not diverse at all
Great starter job after college
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2018
I worked for Varsity Tutors part-time after graduating from college. It was nice to set my own hours, work when I needed to, and get paid a decent amount for tutoring. This job helped as I transitioned from university to a career.
Work from anywhere
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2018
You can either work from your computer or visit the students in person. You set your own hours and take on as many students as you want. They need to work on their communication with the contractors (tutors) and the students.
It is a wonderful environment
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2018
I learned here a lot, such as it is my first tutoring company in the U.S although I did well. Moreover, I developed my skills and I have gotten many methods to teach my students.
The best place I've ever worked
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 3, 2018
I love Varsity. I've been with them for three years, and I have so much flexibility in what I do (which just happens to be something I love). The students are usually very willing to learn and it's often their idea, not their parent's idea, to get a tutor. I couldn't recommend them more.
Pros
Pick your own schedule, extremely flexible, excellent customer service
Cons
No job security, empty in the summer
Great platform allows part-time tutors to craft their schedule
Personal Instructor, Digital Tutor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 30, 2018
The online features of Varsity Tutors allowed me to pick up some online pupils and make some money when I needed some flexible work. I really think their tools helped improve my experience.
Pros
Felxibility, Great Resources
Cons
Modest Pay, Mostly Unguided
It is not grand.
An online and in-person tutoring service (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 27, 2018
It makes sense for a student, but is not a great job. I would not suggest that anyone depend on the company for either a steady stream of income or to cover living expenses.
Good way to make extra money
English and Reading Tutor (Current Employee) –  Westfield, NJMay 22, 2018
I was happy with the people they found for me to tutor. All the kids are good kids and the parents were kind and understanding. I enjoyed working for them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

1.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss