Varsity Tutors logo
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100Above average

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews for Tutor

Varsity Tutors insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

not enough rate of tutor job (30% of company fee)

According my experience there is late response of tutor requests; low rate of tutor payment; a very slowly change rate and very small pay rise of the tutor. I think, there is unjustified ratio of the amount between the company and tutoring fees. For example, another tutoring companies similar to Varsity, offer rate starting from 50% of client fee and after 40-50 hours of tutiring rase it to 60%.

Not worth the pay

The pay is honestly ridiculous for how much clients pay the actual company. I only get paid $16.50 an hr while the students have to pay the company $65 an hour. It is kind of ridiculous that we tutors do all the work but don't even get a quarter of the pay.

Pros

You set the schedule

Cons

Everything is under contract so no benefits

Hard to find students

There's just little to no opportunities and they disappear fast. In person ones often are far and not long enough to the point your profit is marginal.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Lack of jobs

Flexible and well paid teaching environment

I have worked for VT for over 3 years and they provide a wonderful remote position where I can teach on my own terms, when I want, and how often I want. I highly recommend them.

Overall Good Experience

I am working as a programming and math tutor. I like how the hours a flexible and that you, as the tutor, decides your schedule. The compensation isn't too bad, but there is definitely a higher wage for teaching classes or camps which is what I've been doing. It is a little more work preparing for those camps, but I am signed up to teach the same camp several time so I can just reuse my previous preparations.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

No job opportunities

I've expressed interests in countless opportunities since I first started working here and it's always given to someone else. I am qualified to handle the tasks and yet I'm never chosen. They say client matching is based on several factors such as rating, reviews, etc. but unless you get an instant tutoring opportunity, you're on your own.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

low pay, no opportunities

The comfort to work from home

Varsity made changes with consult with the tutors, they only do the changes and these changes are not always the best.They work in the business of education but with some actions they demonstrate that they don't know anuything about it.

Pros

Wotk from home

Cons

arbitrary changes

It's Okay for the bare minimum

Varsity Tutors has a horrible pay rate. You get about 15 per hour session unless you get a multiplier on a child. This is ridiculous considering clients pay $75 per session. It is flexible with making your own hours and choosing your clients. However, it isn't very clear about the clients you are getting until you meet them. Sometimes you get clients that are VERY difficult to work with.

Pros

flexibility

Cons

Pay, communication with management

Not a Long-Term Job, Acceptable Otherwise

They tell you that you can make a full time living on the platform, which might be true for some people. In my experience, this was not the case. You get little to no support from higher ups and the material they provide for tutors is pretty awful. You'd be doing your clients a disservice by not just making your own material.

Pros

Set your own hours, pick your own clients

Cons

No benefits, no guarantees

I would like more assignments.

It’s easy work at times but it isn’t enough hours. Some of the students have behavioral issues so you just need to have the personality to understand that.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Varsity Tutors?

Horrible

Even though I still have a Varsity Tutors account, I haven't been able to get a client through them since 2017. While the pay was good, many of the clients were snobby and short-term. The only upside was that I did meet a very nice family while working there that I continue to work with to this day, outside of the company.

Paid a fraction of what you're worth

As an independent contractor, you obviously don't get any benefits which is fine, that's to be expected. The frustrating part is they don't pay you a fraction of what you should be paid. Granted, they find the clients and you are presented with accepting or declining an opportunity so I understand they get a cut, but Tutors don't receive even 50% of that (I only found this out after a client complained about the ridiculous rates at Varsity, they don't tell you what they charge). You also have to call like once a year if you want to be considered for a raise. They will not reach out, you have to.

Mixed Experience

The thing I really like about varsity tutors is the flexibility- I take assignments that work well with my schedule which changes frequently as I am a student too. I don't think they compensate tutors fairly. I get $15/hr and the clients pay $85-100. The parents think I will hand write and correct HW assignments, grade essays read entire books the students are working on, design a curriculum from scratch etc because they pay so so so much. I expect that for $15 for SKILLED WORK, I will spend at most 15 minutes preparing for a session. If I spend 15 minutes, I make an abysmal $12 for my work time.There is a mismatch between what clients pay, what tutors earn, and what the service is actually worth. It's a poor business scheme and sets up for disappointment for all parties.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

Poor compensation

Needs some work

I enjoyed working for Varsity Tutors, but I would recommend doing research on other tutoring companies that will allow you to set your own wages. As a college student, $15 an hour sounds great, but the company takes more than 50% of what the client pays. So, you're missing out on a lot of money. In regards to the platform, the software is glitchy. It's difficult to tutor when I use my iPad to write things. If you're a college student looking for quick money, definitely try Varsity Tutors out.

Pros

Extremely flexible

Cons

Low wage, No training

Plenty of opportunities to assist educated students take the next step forward

Varsity Tutors is extremely flexible in how they manage their tutors. Once you are hired, if you have a skill, all you need to do is successfully demonstrate your proficiency in that skill in order to be added to the list of tutors that students are presented who need help with a topic that revolves around your skill. In some topics, there is never any shortage of opportunities (computer programming being one of them)—I am provided with at least 5 opportunities daily, which I can choose to express interest in or indicate that I do not believe it would be a good match.

Pros

Flexibility

Cons

Relatively low wage per hour compared to price of hours that clients are charged

Convenient, but not always worth it

I've been a tutor with Varsity since I was in college. It's a great way to earn an extra bit of cash with a flexible schedule. You set your own hours, so it wasn't difficult to plan around class time and other jobs, but the compensation is very low. Varsity charges exorbitant amounts to the students, but the tutors only receive between $15 and $22 per hour (and most sessions are only one or two hours a week). I considered it a side hustle to cover my utility bill, but don't expect to make a decent money unless you're tutoring like 10 different people all day. It can also be challenging to even be matched with students. Varsity handles the whole thing, so I can only say if I'm interested in taking on a student or not, but it's not official unless Varsity matches the two of you. When I first started out, it took literal months before I was able to get a student because I didn't have any reviews on my profile. Even now, when I have several reviews and have had many students, I still have difficulty officially signing on new students. They also say that they have materials for tutors, but they're pretty bare. I end up planning most of my own lessons, and tutors are not paid for prep time. Overall, not bad for a flexible side job, but certainly not great.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Very low compensation compared to the work

Contracting with Varsity Tutors

Working with Varsity Tutors is flexible because you are a 1099 Contractor. There are no benefits, no vacation time or personal leave. You are able to plan your own schedule and are responsible for course content. Your performance is based upon how you connect with the students, and improve their performance. Their success is your success. It's important to plan your tutoring strategy around the needs of the student.

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good tutor customer service support.

Cons

Somewhat Low rate, no perks or benefits

Great schedule and pay

This job works really well with my schedule since I'm currently a full-time college student and the pay is great for a part-time job in my opinion. Most of the on-campus jobs at my university pay way less.

Good workplace for students

They are a really good company to work for. They are extremely responsive and give you the opportunity to continuously get new students. The pay isn't great and they don't give you opportunities to make more, so I would suggest using this as a side job.

Pros

Manage your own schedule

Cons

Pay isnt great

Great place to Work Teaching What You Love

I found the job when I was looking for part time work. I was able to make my own schedule and the decide who I wanted to work with. I have been able to grow from part-time into a more lucrative endeavor. I’ve increased my weekly sessions. Now I can specialize in teaching students Reading and Writing, which are my strengths.

Pros

Flexibility, hour long sessions

Cons

One on one

Good choice for part-time work!

I understand why people think that the pay is low, but I would say that a tutoring job at VT is not meant to be a full-time career. For part-time remote work, Varsity Tutors is an excellent choice.

Pros

Flexible scheduling, remote, wide variety of subjects, can choose clients, decent pay

Cons

Little opportunity for a career, but then again, that’s not what VT is designed for.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Women's ratings

1.3Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Varsity Tutors with

Career recommendations for Tutor

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Varsity Tutors