Varsity Tutors
Happiness rating is 69 out of 100

Varsity Tutors Employee Reviews for Tutor

Tutor541 reviews

not enough rate of tutor job (30% of company fee)

According my experience there is late response of tutor requests; low rate of tutor payment; a very slowly change rate and very small pay rise of the tutor. I think, there is unjustified ratio of the amount between the company and tutoring fees. For example, another tutoring companies similar to Varsity, offer rate starting from 50% of client fee and after 40-50 hours of tutiring rase it to 60%.

Flexible work and great tech support but no raise

They have nice platform and great live tech support. However, the agents on the phone are cranky and tries to wrap up the phone call most of the time.I requested "rate increase", and they said no.I've been working for 4years, I have very positive reviews, and many of my students renew or return to this company. Even though, they think it's not enough to raise the rate.My pay is really low, but they charge the students a lot.

Varsity Tutors insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

The name is misleading, you are not a tutor.

As a professional educator, I expected to come into the position as a tutor - meaning students would come to me with work they needed help completing/understanding, and I would implement that. What actually happens is that the "tutor" is expected to develop and deliver a personalized curriculum for all students, provide materials, and conduct unpaid sales/scheduling calls and communications. The pay is abysmal given the level of preparation and extra work the "tutor" has to provide. I would not recommend this as a sustainable or profitable long-term employment option.

Pros

Pay cycle (Monday and Wednesday)

Cons

All the unpaid preparation, work, supporting documentation

Flexibility!!!

Varsity Tutors stands out for their caring flexibility, and nurturing atmosphere! I love that l can call or email anytime with a question and get a swift, professional response from one of the staff. There is a ready supply of students to choose from and l hope to have many years of tutoring with Varsity!

Pros

Available staff for questions, ready supply of students

Cons

None!

Student centric and excellent tech support

I love working at VT. Only issue is the pay rate depends greatly on the subject you teach and it seems the number of real estate opportunities have decreased over the last year. I leave myself open for R E opportunities due to payment differential.

Great side job but does not pay enough to live on

Great job! It allows you make extra side cash but you are certainly not getting pay for the amount of work you put in. The flexibility of location and time is great though!

You choose your hours-low pay-competitive for students

Don't recommend if you're looking at this as a main source of income. Unless you're dedicated to their opportunities website you'll get beat out by others looking at the same job postings as you. They just raised it to $20/hr which is better, but if you need to prep for your students because it's not something you're proficient in then it's not worth the money. Better off tutoring privately if you're wanting more pay or, even better, a pay you've earned. They get paid ~$50-$95 an hour just to passively post job offers and you could be making that on your own if you advertised yourself.

Pros

Flexibility, simple system, can be done anywhere

Cons

Low pay, low opportunities

Make your own schedule

The job is a nice way to earn some extra cash but they do not pay for prep time. It takes me back to being a teacher where everything that needs to be done successful needs to be done on your time. I do like making my own schedule but the money sometimes makes even that not worth it.

Everyone is expected to meet sales metrics prior to being placed into the actual position they were hired for.

I was hired as a tutor placement consultant, but had to work as an outbound sales person and meet sales goals before I could be out into the position I was hired for. When I questioned this, I was told that everyone had to "run the sakes gauntlet" before they were put on their permanent teams. It was very deceptive.

Pros

They provided the equipment

Cons

Hired for one thing, but had to work through sales to get there.

Contractor

Flexibility for sure will have a diverse clientele of students as an instructor. The company did ensure payments at all times. However communication could certainly improve.

Wonderful experience with students, terrible pay, no orientation

If you are a student who just graduated from college, this is a great gig. If you love working with students, this is a great gig. If you are looking for respect and an uplifting environment, this is not a great gig. If you are looking to be treated as better than a minimum wage employee .... Their platform is antiquated and hard to work with, Zoom is so much better. At times, the employees can be insulting. So, just in terms of teaching, I love it. Everything else is shaky.

Flexible, online, side cash

I work for Varsity Tutors as a side gig. It's very rewarding working with students one on one. I get to work with a range of students from different walks of life and experience level.

Minimal opportunities; poor pay; poor communication

I would not recommend this job. The pay is minimal for my work-related experience. Money was actually deducted from my paycheck and I was not given a reason. Still waiting on hearing back. The two positives: being able to help students and setting my own hours.

Low pay, high demands

The students and families are what make this job fun and worthwhile. Everything else from the company to the people representing the company are awful. I am an educator with 5+ years of experience and a Master of Science degree in Education and am only making $15 an hour with no opportunity for increase other than "working harder/more". Additionally, the company provides NO MATERIALS and expects you to lesson plan/come prepared on your own time. They will also add students to your case load without warning you and for the same pay. Recently a student's sibling was added to my roster and I was expected to work with both students for $15 an hour. Even though parents and families are charged $75+ an hour. When I've spoken up and out about this, I've been made to feel wrong and ridiculed. They are also partnering with schools and providing tutoring services without having qualified or knowledgeable educators to provide those services, including for students with IEPs and 504 plans.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Management, pay, expectations

Remote

Normal there are day with many hours of classes, there are other with less classes. I do enjoy what I do and hope I can continue to work with Varsity.The response of the personnel is great and always willing to help resolve any issue that can arise.

I am new to this and I enjoy it so far! Could offer better pay for regular reoccuring sessions

I enjoy the flexibility of this job. This is something that I started doing on the side to help pay off some debts I've accrued since moving and starting a new job. The students I have worked with so far have been great. I appreciate the ability to either decline or accept a job based on my availability and confidence that I can meet the student's goals. I do think the app could offer more pay to the tutors, but I am not picky about it, as this is a side job for me.

Run far and fast

This company is the worst. They exploit teachers by charging hundreds of dollars and maying garbage. Freelance- you will be much happier. They charge the parents so much and pay so little while demanding so much.

They do get alot of offers to accept students but it is hard to make your own schedule

Pay is low for tutors. The info during booking Is gone once they become your student. So you no lower get to see the times they were looking for. Can be better

Pros

Work from anywhere

Cons

Hard to make your own schedule, when you have to wait days for them to accept that you accepted a student, Then they are just randomly added to your account

Can Engage With Great Children, Not paid Enough

If you luck out you get some pretty cool clients. You're not paid enough for the regular ones though so you're better off doing the instant tutoring. Instant is easier because you don't have to plan beforehand and typically pays more. If you do lots of instant sessions you can make good money though.

Flexible hours, insulting pay

Tutors are independent contractors, which means you can work as much or as little as you want. I have no trouble booking as many students as my schedule can fit, and it's easy enough to just cancel if you want a day (or week) off. There is also no training or oversight. You can run your sessions however you want. I occasionally got a call from the company but I just ignored what they said and they've stopped calling. The big downside is the pay. Parents pay around $60 an hour for tutoring, and you get $15 flat. You can try to negotiate a higher rate, but it's on a student by student basis, and you're not going to get more than a 30% bonus (which is still less than $20 an hour). And that's as a 1099 worker with no benefits.

Pros

Work as much as you want

Cons

Parents pay $60 an hour for tutoring. You, the tutor, get $15. The company pockets the rest.

Nice side money for college

I've worked for them during university way before COVID, as it let you tutor from your computer, it made it much easier to hold a job since I traveled to campus that was very far and took a lot of my time. The key to this is finding the right people to tutor. Long story short, a lot of students need tutoring because they don't take school seriously and that's that, so many don't respect their own school work, they won't respect your time, so they show up late, don't respond to emails, etc. I give a forgiveness policy for one time, otherwise I drop them. Don't worry, you'll get paid, Varsity has a system if they don't show up after a certain amount of minutes you get paid. You have to tell Varsity what happened. Be aware, some parents will try to blame you somehow for their children not showing up.I stick to college students and give them a set of rules I follow when it comes to tutoring before our first session. This avoids the need having to deal with parents, usually parents are only involved at this point to pay for the tutoring.The workers at Varsity to help you with your students are very nice and helpful. The system itself, you need to select a lot of subjects to get opportunities. Remember a lot of things are just renamed, like Algebra can also be Remedial Math. The problem is if you're not usually one of the first to jump on the opportunity, you won't get the job. Also instant tutoring needs a demo version, I never used it because I didn't want to jump into instant tutoring unprepared.Now...the major problem with this place is the PAY. Minimum wage. (The higher -

Pros

Create your own schedule, work wherever you want, choose how many clients, total freedom

Cons

Pay rate, no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5Personal Development
3.9Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Varsity Tutors with

Career recommendations for Tutor

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Varsity Tutors
  • Tutor
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?