Varsity Tutors Culture reviews

Sales Rep
Sales Representaitive (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 20, 2018
I've been with Varsity Tutors for over a year. I entered this job with zero sales experience, and I have met or exceeded quota 12/12 months. It's a great environment, and they set you up for success.
Pros
Food, Culture, Pto
Supportive, Student-Focused Environment
Private Tutor/Contractor (Former Employee) –  North Bend, WA, USAApril 11, 2018
Varsity Tutors provides both employees and clients with an equally responsive and supportive communications and feedback. Their model is focused on student satisfaction and employee well-being, which are seen to support each other.
Great job for students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 10, 2018
This job is great for students looking for some pocket change. It is a rewarding experience in itself to tutor people and have them succeed in class and being able to say that you were a part of their success. It is a job which you can work at your own pace, location, and method of teaching.
Pros
Open ended
Cons
Competitive
Collaborative Work Environment
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 9, 2018
Varsity Tutors is a fast-paced, growing company. It's best for people who can adapt quickly to change. If you want to work in a role where your voice/opinion matters, this is the place for you! Everyone from your co-workers, managers, even the CEO, want to know your thoughts and ideas for improving the culture, work environment, etc. No day is typical. We help people learn, everyday! I personally enjoy the ever-changing overall environment; it's never a dull moment. The work can be challenging at times, which is not for everyone. This can be the hardest part of the job for some. The work is very fluid. I see myself here for years to come.
Pros
Collaborative work environment
Cons
Office can be noisy at times
Freelance Tutoring
Freelance Tutor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 26, 2017
Pros:
Flexible work schedule, competitive pay, remote/online tutoring. Improved pedagogy skills for working one-on-one.

Cons:
Not much institutional support, very little exposure to new clients.
Pay is decent and work is flexible. Have the ability to choose who you want to work with. Short shifts.
Tutor math and science (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2017
Clear communication from executives. You know what is expected of you every day. It's a healthy work environment. Extremely fun, competitive, and lively. Lots of growth potential within the company.
You will not bonus
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 20, 2017
Only 13% of the entire sales team hit the goals set by the company. Unrealistic goals and tutoring packages that are overpriced make it hard to complete the task at hand when it comes to sales.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
working weekends, un realistic goals. Tutoring packages cost too much.
Well balanced company with plenty of opportunities.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 6, 2017
I have enjoyed working for this company. I always have clients who I can work with. The support staff is excellent and provide the support we need. The company is well balanced in a sense that it provides enough work and does not overwhelm the staff.
Good Culture. Continual growing pains
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Clayton, MOJune 5, 2017
I appreciated the type of culture the company was trying to build and genuinely liked the people I worked with. Communication from top management was generally superb. Their effort in that area was truly appreciated. I learned a lot during my time there. On the flip side, communication within and between teams was very poor. I attribute that to the numerous offices (fiefdoms?), large numbers of remote staff and fast pace. There was never much of a strategy and/or goals for my team (or they weren't communicated) and we seemed to lurch between ambitious projects and the crisis du jour depending on the mood. This wasn't conducive to getting things done.
Pros
good culture, good people
Cons
poor communication, lack of direction/strategy
Corporate Culture
Director (Former Employee) –  Clayton, MOMay 16, 2017
Is bad. Anyone is allowed to sell to your clients, even though managers deny this. However it happens daily, thus impacting your ability to meet your quotas. The quotas are unattainable unless you work 6 days a week. If you don't work the overtime, management views this as the employee not wanting to meet their quotas. Management are clueless about using sales forecasting, setting lofty sales quotas during down periods. It used to be a fun place to work, now most employees (except the very new ones) fear for their jobs. Many sit at their desks and eat their lunch out of fear a client or lead will call in while they're away and someone else gets the sale.
Pros
Free parking, good benefits
Cons
Fear of job loss, poor workplace culture

Want to know more about Varsity Tutors?

Ask a question
Job Insecurity
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Clayton, MOApril 2, 2017
They put up the perfect poster of your potential position before and during hire. They talk about their culture and values. You are amped to find a company that cares about their consumers and values you. Then the training starts.
They train you to take advantage of an emotional need. They become a "pushy sales" place.
They set goals that make you feel like you are failing yourself.
They take down the perfect poster and replace it with your new reality. They outline your negative qualities. A lot of employees fear for their job every month.
This structure will benefit some and highly discourage others.
Pros
Snacks, drinks are provided
Cons
Poor continued training, unrealistic bonus goals
Great opportunity to meet clients
PRIVATE CONTRACTOR, MATHEMATICS TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2016
I loved meeting new clients. Varsity unfortunately does not pay enough for the work you do. I recommend this job for college students.
Great Place to work
Online Math and Test Prep Tutor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2016
This is a great place to work if you want additional hours. The industry itself is very seasonal. Some weeks it is great income other weeks I am counting my coins.

What you put into it is what you get out of it.

The management is fantastic. Always ready to address issues.
The hardest part of the job is the consistency of students. But that is the business.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the reward of helping the students.
Fun, collaborative environment
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 24, 2015
Co workers are excellent. You get to work on a team with great people. Management is understanding and responsive. The environment is a lot of fun. You get to work from home, which is mostly a positive, but it does make it more difficult to "turn things off" than in an office job.
Pros
co-workers, management, work from home (most of the time)
Cons
work from home (some of the time)
Flexible and fast-growing company
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 24, 2015
Despite working from home, I almost never feel out of touch with my co-workers. I love the flexibility of working from anywhere I choose, as well as the ability to employ both my education and writing experience.

Employees are continually encouraged to touch base with upper management, who genuinely seem interested in your suggestions. Both middle and upper management trust you to do what needs to be done.
Pros
Work from home arrangement, receptive management, team culture
Few oppurtunites, unreasonable non-compete, not worth the sub-par pay
Tutor (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 13, 2015
Major issues:
-Overly restrictive non-compete.
-Clients are scarce, and tutors are plentiful, so getting work is difficult.
-The pay is not competitive.
-Communication from the area directors is poor.
-Students complained to me about the company, claiming that they called much too often and pushed their services too much.
-The interview process was relatively protracted.
-Once you factor in travel time and cost, you might as well work most any minimum wage job.

Pros:
-It's a job, I guess.
-Can control your hours to some extent.

Bottom line: absolutely not worth signing the contract. There are plenty of other options for tutoring work.
Pros
It's a job, and you can control your hours to some extent.
Cons
Overly restrictive non-compete, clients are scarce, pay is not competitive, poor communication, students complained about the company, protracted interview process.
Fun, Friendly, Fast-Paced Company with Talented Employees!
City-Wide Director (Current Employee) –  St. LouisApril 9, 2015
Varsity Tutors is a fast-paced company which values its employees and gives us the tools and resources to excel at our positions. The culture is fun, innovative and welcoming. We are able to combine education and sales in an environment that encourages friendly competition while rewarding our internal drive for personal and professional success. The company is constantly striving to make improvements in processes and incorporates its employees' ideas into operational changes. It's exciting to see where the company is headed and I'm very excited to be a part of it all.
Pros
Work From Home, Technology, Training, Responsive Management, Independence in work-flow, Contests, Benefits (Medical, Tutoring Hours, Holidays), Professional Development
Cons
Some Evenings and Weekends are required
Innovative company with flexible working conditions
Director (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 9, 2015
Varsity Tutors is innovative, forward thinking, and conscientious about its mission and the happiness of their employees. They are constantly making improvements to systems and processes, and middle and upper management are always there to hear concerns and questions.

The job is also flexible and offers a variety of positions based on your strengths. Everyone is professional and here for the right reasons. It is a team effort and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with VT thus far.
Pros
Management, technology, co-workers, professionalism, company culture
Engaging Work Environment and Growing Company
Sales Director (Current Employee) –  NJApril 9, 2015
I thoroughly enjoy my job here at Varsity Tutors. The ability to work from home is perfect for me and my family. I have a strong background in education and I feel like I am able to use that here to help kids get the correct support they need. I LOVE my team and my manager...even though we work from home the culture is so positive and everyone stays connected...time really does fly here.

I would say the hardest part of the job is that the hours are a little long...but when you factor in that you do not need to commute for work and really even "get ready" for work...it's fair.

The most enjoyable part of the job is most definitely the people I work with. They make the job fun and I really feel like a part of something..and I do feel that that is hard to find these days.
Pros
Flexible, Team Culture, Growing and Evolving Company, Perks
Cons
relatively long work day and week, not a ton of time off, ok benefits
Horrible place to work for work/life balance and job security! SUPER STRESSFUL JOB!
Client Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2014
The hours are WAY too long, the culture is disgustingly competitive (to the point that it's not even about the clients anymore) and I wouldn't wish this place on my worse enemy.
Pros
Working from home, no commute, company paid travel to summits 1-2 yr
Cons
Long hours, ultra competitive work environment, micromanagement, lack of job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Varsity Tutors. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight