Vassar College Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work - Emphasis on Work Life Balance
VPrint/ResNet Technology Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 15, 2018
Emphasis on work life balance is unparalleled. Smart colleagues, and you'll work with intelligent students. Beautiful campus as well. Would recommend for anyone looking to work in academia.
Productive and relaxed workplace
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 6, 2018
Had a good time working at Vassar. The people around were very supportive and friendly. The Work culture provides for a good work-life balance. It was my first real-time job experience and I got to learn a lot and develop my skill set.
i loved working at vassar college
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 27, 2018
i loved working there and i reguard the folks i worked with at vassar as family and am still friends with many of them. it was hard work and there was alot of real great people to learn all kinds of skills from. i was able to take advantage and learn alot over the many years i worked there.
Pros
good pay and good friends
Cons
stress
Fantastic coworkers and some great team leaders
Kitchen Worker (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJanuary 20, 2018
I enjoyed working there. My job included everything from chopping vegetables for the chefs, to serving up desserts and sometimes even washing dishes. My manager at the time was a former cook on a navy ship and really knew what he was doing.
Pros
Free food and access to the school gym and library
Cons
Change in management that effected things greatly
fun workplace--check out the ecological preserve
Environmental Steward (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYDecember 3, 2017
There was flexibility--while I had a supervisor, and executed a number of tasks on her behalf, I also got to create and oversee my own projects. It was part of the Hudson Valley Student Conservation Association Internship
educational and safe
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 26, 2017
Vassar College is a beautiful campus, which provided employees with various educational services, attention to employees; safety and well being, management were always available and ready to assist with any concerns.
Pros
educational
Vassar College Writing Center
Writing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 24, 2017
Wonderful place to work. This was one of my first and longest jobs. My boss was always very willing to listen and take his employees experiences into account.
Pros
Student Work
Cons
Limited to 10 hours a week
Aramark
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYOctober 16, 2017
Contract management position which ended right before the holidays due to "cutbacks" and company downsizing certain accounts. they soon thereafter lost the account to another foodservice provider
Aramark
Associate Food Service Director ADCD (Former Employee) –  124 Raymond ave PoughkeepsieSeptember 26, 2017
Aramark is a great company we loss the contract at Vassar College the College needed to move in another direction and company and upper management did not work out a contract so compass give them what the College needed.
Pros
good pepole
Cons
not willing to bend
Great Enviorment
Classroom Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 12, 2017
While a student, I worked at an organization run by Vassar College named Project Eye to Eye. I enjoyed the relationship I maintained with the school throughout the four years I was enrolled there and would recommend affiliating ones self with the institution.
Poor and unair working enviorment.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  124 Raymond Avenue, Poughkeepsie, NY, 12603August 24, 2017
Efforts made were not acknowledged unless your family were friends of the management. Nothing was ever enough no matter how much you tried. Responsibilities of management were imposed upon the kitchen staff and there was a great deal of playing unfair behavior coming fro the kitchen managers.
Not a good expreance
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Health CenterJuly 21, 2017
Poor, felt taken advance of.I was hired to cover an employee that habd taken ill. I learned many things in a short period of time, and I was not given the chance to stay after an week when the employee came before time expected. I did not think that was profressioal.
Pros
Was not given a fare chance
Cons
the supervisors be favoring other wokers over other coworker and it makes it hard to get the job done.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 20, 2017
I wouldn't have no prob with Vassar if they wasn't showing certain employees favoritism, and having brakes between the school and leave half of there employers unemployed. I'm looking for a staple job that's worth the pay an i wont have to worry about brakes or worrying about working until a certain day or months.
Encouraging, Supportive
Vice President, Black Students Union (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 19, 2017
I am a student employee at Vassar. I have enjoyed working with most of the people I have worked with including faculty, administration, and students. I was encouraged to pursue my programing ideas, and to make connections with administration. Whenever I had an idea, the people around me did whatever they could to make it happen, so I am grateful for the experience.
Tough place
Professor (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 23, 2017
I wouldn't recommend working here. A harsh environment, little opportunity for real growth. A static, old-fashioned environment with an allergy to new, fresh ideas and dynamic people.
Vassar college CIS dept.
User Services Consultant (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYApril 5, 2017
As departments on the Vassar college campus. Computing and Information Services is one the best to work. Great team of coworkers and managers. The most enjoyable parts of my job is managing 15 very talented student works and helping clients around the campus.
Pros
Working with some great coworkers and clients.
Cons
Too small a work place for you to advance quickly.
A day in the lab
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYSeptember 8, 2016
Researching the rigidity of microtubules depending on the stabilizer used in vitro. Utilizing RStudio to develop a script that analyzes pictures obtained with fluorescence microscopy, to determine the rigidity of microtubules.
Growth
Accounting Specialist for Facilities Operations (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYAugust 27, 2016
Working for Facility Operations is very challenging which enables me to grow and reach my potential with the duties and daily tasks. Working with six different Project Managers, in which needed direction is very filling, knowing they I kept them on track with their encumbrances and capital improvements status.
Pros
Learning out of my comfort zone and producing.
Cons
I'm through a temp agency and the lady I'm currently filling in for is returning.
Able to exercise mind in linear algebra
Mathematics Department Paper Reader (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJune 24, 2016
I like math, particularly linear algebra, so grading was fun. I understood the concepts so the work wasn't challenging. Only time I felt stressed was if I got a lot of papers at the same time and a deadline attached (particularly before upcoming exams),
Pros
Math
Cons
Minimum wage
Great Place to work.
Events Coordinator for the President (Current Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 8, 2015
Fast Paced, Great people to work with. Lots of interaction with students and other faculty. Has its good days and bad.Just wish the compensation package was a bit higher.
Pros
Suppotive staff
Cons
Lower Salary scale