VCA Animal Hospital Employee Reviews

Lack of patient safety
Registered Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHSeptember 19, 2018
The location I worked had a general lack of care when it came to patient safety. There was no holding anyone responsible if major mistakes were made and it seemed like it was ok to sit around and watch tv rather than actually do the job people are paid for.
Pros
Full time felt like part time
Cons
no room for advancement, lack of pay incentive
stressful
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Everett, MASeptember 18, 2018
a little pay for a lot of work, pretty unorganized, stress level is through the roof and most of the management has no respect for their employees, not an enjoyable place to work from a reception point of view
Pros
discount
Cons
stress-level, disrespect
Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 15, 2018
The manager is worried about the gossip in the hospital and willing to task down the best workers to build a new set of employees. I asked many times about moving up to technician or even assisting and I see that she had no potential for me to do that.
had wonderful teacher
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 12, 2018
Didn't work there very long, but while I did my intern had a couple of great nurses that trained me, and they taught me alot. Doctor's were very knowledgeable & enjoyed working with them.
Hospital environment with strong structue
Medical Records Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2018
VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital is a very important hospital for saving animal lives. I was in charge of electronic medical records providing customer service for clients animal insurance and making sure clients and doctors are receiving proper medical records. I was also appointed as "electronic medical records champion" where my main responsibility is to train all employees on how to use electronic medical records.

VCA is a very different culture from where i came from which was in the Television Industry. The culture at VCA creates little room for creativity and forces people to be very focused on their job.at hand.

The hardest part of the job is seeing animals euthanized.

I love animals and being able to be part of a team to help an aniimal's health is very rewarding.

I know I am well respected and well liked at the hospital.
Pros
Discounts on pet health
Cons
Not enough breaks and healthcare is very expensive
Assistant Work
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VASeptember 9, 2018
Working here is the usual animal hospital environment. You work with a lot of females and that can be tough within itself. There are people who have been there for years that get to do what they want with scheduling and it leaves others picking up the slack. You can't grow in this office, so you are stuck with where you are hired.
Fun atmosphere to work in
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 6, 2018
I enjoy working at VCA very much, but unfortunately they can not pay me enough for what I need to pay for monthly. Management could be improved as well.
Great people, struggling to make it in a poor area with strict corporate oversight
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 6, 2018
The people are wonderful. Management is doing their best, but its a corporate company through and through. The corporate end pushes you to make more and more $, not help people. Aside from that was great.
Pros
Good pay, hours are good
Cons
Fast paced, rude customers, corporate isn't in it to help animals
Kind and caring environment for people and pets
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Covington, WASeptember 5, 2018
Very friendly staff with your pet's well being first on the priority list. The doctors all practice top quality medicine and genuinely care about their clients and patients.
amazing work enviornment
Veterinarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redding, CA 96002September 4, 2018
great teamwork fun friendly work environment, fast-paced so time flies by. amazing veterinarians that are always willing to take the time to teach. amazing animals to cuddle
Vca
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Upland, CASeptember 3, 2018
My third and final internship, seeing that it's an emergency animal hospital, there was the day when the work was stressful, but rewarding helping clients with appointments, understanding instructions, and much more help improve my customer service
Horrible management
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 1, 2018
My tenure here was a constant social war between the medical director and the office manager. When the medical director left, the office manager pushed out the staff loyal to the medical director. Annual raises consist of a quarter if you are best friends with the office manager. Usually raises are only 10-15cents/hour and no bonuses. Management is regularly trying to avoid paying you by sometimes having you work off the clock to get things done. Upper management will not listen to you and will always side with the office manager.
Pros
Cons
Meager raises even on good terms, bad management, stressful workplace
flexible working environment with friendly staff
KENNEL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Calabash, NCAugust 31, 2018
This volunteer position allowed me to gain experience in my desired field while still in high school. I learned many things about animal care including data collection and organization, scheduling of basic and specialized care procedures, and communication with colleagues in a professional work environment. This job was physically demanding and gave me experience in moving heavy objects, spending hours walking/running with animals, and cleaning things such as cages, the yard, animals, and equipment (food dishes and blankets).
Pros
flexible working hours and friendly staff
Cons
no pay (volunteer position)
HIghly Intense Environment
Emergency Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  South Weymouth, MAAugust 31, 2018
Large case load, many Doctor's, not everyone got along. Very long days, with little compensation. But I learned a lot. You had to take out for yourself.
I wouldn't do it again
Head Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 29, 2018
The man I initially worked for sold this practice to a corporation and they started churning out animals like it was McDonalds. I am not a fan of this place or other like it.
Interesting character of people to work with
Kennel Technician/Vet. tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 28, 2018
I really didn't have any issues there until a random employee got hired after me. It's all about the favorites there. It's a shame sometimes because you miss out on really great employees that actually care.
Pros
Exciting job to start off after highschool
Cons
They don't like minorites
Management role- high stress
Technician Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2018
Was hired on to make changes necessary for the betterment of the company. Was working over my former supervisor who made things difficult for me at times- challenged authority. Felt like I was not respected by management and they did not stand up for me when I needed them. It was great work experience as far as developing my management career but difficult at times to say the least.
Pros
Good work experience
Cons
Challenging workers setting me up to fail
Good environment
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GAAugust 15, 2018
Very poor management, stressful with employees, high turn over rate. Another version of high school. Everybody talks about each other. There is no team effort. Racism is also an issue. Not a good look
Pros
Meeting all the dogs that come in and get to play with them
Cons
Poor management
VCA clinics vary a lot
RVT (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, OaklandAugust 11, 2018
I worked at VCA Bay Area in Oakland. I loved the people I worked with and the original manager was laid back and fun to work for. When he left VCA replaced him with their own management and things went downhill fast. They don't care about culture or their employees having lives outside of their job and you'll never get a raise. It was a great place for me to start, but I moved on to find a place that cared for their employees more. I still miss my old co-workers, though.
Pros
Co-workers and each VCA is different culturally.
Cons
Low pay, no raises, corporate machine sees you as a position not a person.
Terrible management and care
Kennel Attendant/Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IlAugust 9, 2018
The hospital i worked at rewarded the wrong people. Many employees complained about supervisors constantly making inappropriate comments and remarks. Nothing was ever done. Most employees had to make calls to hr to get problems solved. We also dealt with techs putting iso dogs with parvo in employee bathrooms in pop up kennels and unsafe environments where dogs were exposed to chocolate in the treatment area.
Pros
Pet benefits
Cons
10 mins breaks. Terrible management