VCA Animal Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cares about the animals
Kennel Technician and Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLMay 17, 2018
Overall, the VCA staff genuinely love the animals and always work as a team to put them first.

Generally also offer opportunities for growth and advancement for those who work hard.
Veterinary Technician/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 17, 2018
A typical day involved taking dogs for walks, feeding, baths if needed.
I learned how to help with surgeries and shots. Great place for learning.
The hardest part was the poor scheduling. Yes - their are emergencies, but this was poor scheduling.
Pros
Got paid weekly
Cons
No breaks - sometimes work thru lunch
Animals
Kennel Tech and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, COMay 15, 2018
I loved being a kennel tech at an animal hospital. I liked being a receptionist also. The atmosphere was pleasant and animals were kept clean and happy.
good place
Kennel attendant, Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  2421 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90403May 11, 2018
Fun work environment great place to move up and learn. lots to do fast pace..blood work urine culture anesthesia monitoring cleaning walking animals filling medication
Trying your best means nothing
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Glendora, CAMay 5, 2018
I would try to be helpful to my newer Coworkers and they failed to meet our hospital expectations. If they refused to keep up then I told my manager in a very humble way and only got told about things I may have done wrong way in the past, like telling me to mind my own business, or worse turn it around and make me feel like it was my fault. Even though I got good recognition from the doctors I was very limited when it came to helping them and it seemed to my manager like their opinions didn't matter. That my wanting to learn and advance didn't matter even when my chores were done! Not to mention that one Co worker was more than rude to everyone except the manager and one tech she knew from before, she did all her paperwork but never Cleaned properly in the back. I was promised to be a day kennel with full time hours but I worked either really early or really late 5 to 6 hours at a time. And never got a raise in 2years. You have to beg and argue for a raise. Vca is cheap. Oh yeah the new lazy girl was labeled as a vet assistant and I was a Kennel assistant. Um how much more dumb does a person have to be to be labeled as an assistant to the kennel. Considering it's only 1kennel at a time working. I felt bad for a receptionist. Good at her job and was assistant manager but some duty got replaced by a tech who didn't want to clean.
Better than other VCAs....
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 5, 2018
I have worked at two VCA owned clinics now. The first one was a larger specialty clinic, where the doctors are much harder on the technicians, it's much more cutthroat and the workload is horrible. I only worked there for about two years before I hit total burnout.

I'm currently at a much smaller clinic and am much happier. My coworkers are mostly great and the clinic stays relatively busy. My only complaint is that my salary is not supportive of living here.
Great if you love animals
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAMay 1, 2018
I only worked as a volunteer for school. Had a great time learning work ethic and earning credit for school. Was asked to stay and be hired as a paid employee but chose to say no as I was going to college.
Great Learning Environment, Subpar Professionalism
Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 30, 2018
Though I learned an immense amount working at this hospital, I do not believe the management is in accordance with the law. DEA, OSHA, and EPA regulations were often ignored, leaving employees to take the brunt of the effects. Management wasn't willing to promote those within that were willing to do the extra work, but rather would hire outside to unqualified and untrained individuals.
God Work place
Receptionist-my responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLApril 26, 2018
I am very satisfied with working for this company. They help you learn and advance if you want to. Also we have become a small family who looks out for each other.
Okay place to work management doesn’t care about employees
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 25, 2018
It started off great and then just went down hil the more time you spend there. The management doesn’t care about employees at all. When you have a problem then say they will fix it and don’t. The have policies that not everyone has to follow. Overall it has made me second guess my career choice.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Terrible hours, no personal time
Vca
Animal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLApril 23, 2018
Hot and cold about job advancement
Sometimes business too slow for ability to keep a full work day
Hard to manage home life/work life balance
Do enjoy spending time with all the animals and taking care of them
Fun
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  West Brookfield, MAApril 11, 2018
It was a good place to get my start and improve my technician skills i liked how they saw exotics but i need to continue improving and find a job closer to home
fun work place
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2018
assist veterinarian in exam room with animals draw blood give injections.i love the pets management was ok i learned alot there how to draw blood on a pet give injections work in the lab blood work,urinalysis,
Pros
free lunch
Cons
healthcare
Typical day, what I've learned, hardest part of job, enjoyable part of job
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 10, 2018
Typical day at work I open and set up, answer phone calls, check clients in and out, keep front reception and exam rooms clean, scan and upload paperwork, help with the processing of insurance claims. I've learned a lot about the veterinary setting, medical terms, how to help the technicians with blood work, holding animals, CPR monitoring, etc. The management could step up more on doing their job the correct way and handling things appropriately, and also which things are more important then others. There is no room for advancement as well. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a doctor who is very rude and demanding to all employees. The workplace is almost always tense and awkward. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to help all the cats and dogs.
New Manager running things to the ground
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Everett, MAApril 9, 2018
I can't stand this place. They're cheap and step all over their employees. I got paid minimum wage and can make more flipping burgers. Was not allowed to take breaks unless I worked an 8 hour shift.
Pros
Cons
No breaks unless 8 hour shift, low pay, a lot of disrespect.
Veterinarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 8, 2018
I LOVED my time at VCA. We had a great team who worked well with each other and looked out for one another. It was a hard decision to make but I only left because I needed more money
Had their favorites
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXApril 6, 2018
If you weren’t a favorite....you were treated like the “black sheep”. No extras, no “special” treatment..etc.
The medical director didn’t always practice ethical medicine. We were given rules that we were supposed to follow...but only if it didn’t upset the client who was spending a lot of money. It was all about the money
Pros
Lots of free lunches and a team environment
Cons
Some days we were extremely short staffed
OK pleace to work
Receptionist/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PAApril 5, 2018
It took a while for me to get close to the girls I worked with but once I did, some of them became great friends. I didn't care for my immediate supervisor (she micro-managed a lot) and I left because it was a pretty far drive for me. Most of the docs seemed to really love their jobs and truly enjoyed being around animals, Our clientele was good. The only real complaint I had was that there was very little team work there. The vet techs treated the front desk people like dirt so it was a little stressful. They did take good care of the pets that came to us. I would work there again.
Pros
Little Stressful but good place to work
Cons
Mean techs, did not like immediate supervisor, pay wasn't that great
Horrible company to work for
SLAVE (Current Employee) –  PENNSYLVANIAApril 2, 2018
Management belittles you and treats you like a slave No respect what so ever Horrible hours lowpay for what is expected of you Never able to get a schedule to plan your personal life You are expected to.live your life around them Doctors do nothing Technicians do all the work Barely able to make ends meet working for this company Never apply here and expect to feed your family You will.be applyong for food stamps after taking a job here and thats only the beginning Doctors do.things for free for their personal favorite clients and treat people without money horribly and talk behind their backs
Pros
No pros what so ever
It's A Great Place to Start
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist/Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 23, 2018
If you are just getting into Vet Med, or want to work at a clinic that is open 7 days a week, I recommend VCA. The pay is low compared to similar clinics in the area. The hours are unstable. Some days you'll work 4 hours, and the next you'll work 12. You need to know each part of the hospital, which is good, that being said, you do not get paid enough to work in every department. Employees are basically in a revolving door. The benefits, if you have pets, are amazing. Free vaccines, low-cost meds/services. Health insurance is expensive. All in all, it's a great starting point for experience.
Pros
The Doctors and staff
Cons
the hours, and pay