VCA Animal Hospital Employee Reviews

Good, fast-paced, collaborative environment
Associate Veterinarian (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 15, 2019
For all the aspects of the job that wore me down, the actual practice of medicine and surgery was as good an experience as a veterinarian can have in private practice. I could never complain about the in-practice management, the extensive support staff, or the collaborative environment fostered amongst all levels of staff. A lot is expected of veterinarians in terms of client care, patient care, and records management, but there was never any dearth of training and mentoring. Unfortunately, as is all too common in the professional, the company does not always succeed at separating the practice of medicine from the financial aspects of the job, and I found myself struggling to balance the two. Also (and maybe this has improved some), the corporate management often worked at odds with the practice of efficient medicine in the hospital.
Loved working there!
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, PA 19064January 11, 2019
When I was interviewed and hired, I was told that my starting salary was higher than the CSRs who were working there. I have come to highly doubt that - I think I was underpaid and paid less than my coworkers. However, I loved this job, and loved the client base - they were definately family! it is encouraged to be friendly and become familiar with the clients and the animals. The days were never the same - and the vets who work here are the best! My only complaint is the "tattle-telling" amount the front desk CSRs. You have to watch your back with everything you do and say. Some CSRs, one who was promoted to supervisor, would run to management with anything and everything to get someone in trouble.
Management at VCAOM really doesnt get involved with the CSRs, they are mostly all for the vets and the techs. CSRs are almost forgotten, but without us, there are no appointments and we are the start of the relationship with the hospital and new clients/patients.
I learned alot about Emergency medicine - that was the part that I liked the most. I hated seeing animals sick and hurt, but was proud of what the hospital was able to do to help save them.
The hardest part of the job is being with a client as they say good bye to their pets. It hurt us to watch the owners hurt, and we cried with them. Being able to console an owner is a wonderful feeling, even though we know we cannot take away their pain
Pros
Learning
Cons
Management, pettiness, salary
Needs New Supervisors
Veterinary Technician Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redding, CAJanuary 10, 2019
VCA is a great starting job if you like animals. However, it's ill managed by the Tech Supervisor,there is no protocol for training and is a place where you learn on the job with no real training before hand. Only recommend to people wanting to be in the field as working with animals is pretty fun!
Under staffed and over booked
VETERINARY ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 7, 2019
The VCA does not have enough veterinary assistants employed for their current workload. They continually do not schedule enough staff for the current workload present, and do not have any intentions of hiring another assistant. Also, there is much difficulty when trying to use the paid time off acquired.
Fast Paced Work Environment
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 7, 2019
Always something to do, I never had to worry about my hours being cut due to low patient counts! Overall it was a great Job! The problem was the immature manager that runs the place! First Shift is very clicky and high school like, Second shift never seemed happy, third shift there was too much playing around!
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Manager, some co workers
Loved working here except for the management
Vet Technician (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 5, 2019
You’ll get a lot of experience and learn new skills here. I worked overnights in the emergency department and I was able to work with so many different people and types of illnesses and injuries. I loved my job. I loved my coworkers. I loved the emergency doctors. The only thing I didn’t like was the management. Trying to remember rules that changed on a weekly basis was impossible. Hearsay was taken as factual information that you would get talked to about repeatedly. Micromanaging was the norm making it difficult to provide the best care for the patients.
Pros
Relaxed, friendly environment on the overnight shifts.
Cons
Fun work place, High energy.
Kennel Technician (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLJanuary 4, 2019
Being able to handle and care for animals is the best part. Management team was good, pay was too little for the amount of work you did. The hardest part is working holidays and having to be up early and working 12+ hours on your feet. Workplace was very enjoyable.
Pros
Hour-hour and half lunch breaks, playing with animals all day, enjoyable coworkers, discounts on vet visits, let you watch surgeries.
Cons
Zero paid vacation, low pay
Great Atmosphere, terrible staff
Assistant (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 2, 2019
When I got hired in everything was great. I learned how to do the job & everyone was nice to me. As time went on, people were taking behind everyone’s back, especially mine. They made up lies & rumors about me. The manager never talked to me about any of this face to face but went behind my back to everyone else to find out things about me. Eventually I quit because of all the lies & rumors. This was a terrible place to work & the management sucks. My personal experience.
Pros
Hour long lunch breaks
Cons
Bad management, Drama
Animal Ward assistant (Former Employee) –  Ridgewood, NJDecember 30, 2018
If I could give job security a zero I would. Management was horrible. The pay was good and coworkers were great but had to watch my back constantly because it was just like a high school environment where people will talk about you constantly and not in a good way. I was frequently harassed by management and certain coworkers about how I was taught to do certain things. All in all this was not a good experience for me.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short staffed
Poor compensation
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 21, 2018
My hospital was very pushy. You had to shove things down clients throats that they really didn’t need. The pricing on services is almost the same as an emergency hospital if not poor. The money is terrible. My manager only wanted to promote her son who worked there which was completely unfair.
Pros
Reliable hours
Cons
Terrible pay, pushing unnecessary services/products, no room to grow
Fast Paced
Receptionist and Care Club Specialist (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WADecember 21, 2018
Fast Paced emergency dept that you have to be quick on your feet and sometimes think out of the box. We see a lot of dogs and cats that do not leave out hospital and you have to be mentally prepared for the reactions of the client and try to maintain composure even if your heart if breaking inside.
Not a good place to work
Registered Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 20, 2018
Definitely not a team atmosphere. Favoritism a huge problem. Bullying of new employees by old ones commonplace, and management allowed it to continue. At least 6 good employees forced out, including myself.
Pros
Mostly good doctors.
Cons
Bad techs.
Great for learning but poor work life
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIDecember 19, 2018
I learned a lot while working here but you have to in a face paced environment and the constant demand for help. Pay does NOT equal the amount of work you put in and the management is something that needs improvement.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Poor pay, poor management
Corporate Does Veterinary
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Newtown Square, PADecember 16, 2018
It’s all about numbers and money at the higher levels. The quality of veterinary care varies from hospital to hospital depending on the employees at each. Some incredible medical staff but definitely some places that should not be shut down.
Pros
Discounts for pets
Cons
Quantity over quality, inconsistent management, everyone is a number
Fast paced fun place to work
LIAISON (Current Employee) –  Weymouth, MADecember 4, 2018
VCA is a great place to work. You need to be able to handle extreme multitasking and a fast paced environment in order to do good here. You also have to be willing to help in other departments as needed!
VCA Hospital Feels Like Home
OFFICE ASSISTANT & TECH (Former Employee) –  1421 E Spring Valley RoadNovember 26, 2018
A great Environment at VCA Pet Doctor Hospital, Customer where like Family and you know them by pets and Names. Management was great and understanding. We worked as a Unite and reached our goals too.
Pros
Relaxed and wonderful Place to be
Cons
Pay could be better and wished they promote from internal
VCA Noyes
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fox River Grove, ILNovember 17, 2018
Productive and education driven by all employees with room for growth and chances to continue to learn within the field. The ability to help clients and patients with issues they are having Working with VCA Noyes was just like being at home, the employees all look out for one another and have a genuine concern for others well being inside and outside of work. A typical day at work would consist of office duties, cleaning and snuggling the patients that would come through when needed. Although there were challenging times there was always the access to talk to someone about what was happening and how you could change/work on the situation to find the best solution.
Pros
Work lunches, opportunities to learn in various fields of office.
Cons
Lower pay, emotionally challenging.
Great management!
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Longview, WANovember 16, 2018
The work place is constantly filled with drama between coworkers, despite the wonderful management VCA has. The company offers great benefits, and great discounts for your personal pet care. The meetings are fun and informative.
Pros
fun daily meetings, other meetings often, free food, company paid employee bonding activities, great benefits, great discounts on personal pet care, wonderful management
Cons
drama in the workplace
customers are wonderful/ management are not
Tech Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aloha, ORNovember 15, 2018
The management does not support you if you don't fit into their group. Even when reported to HR nothing changes. Will continue to learn everything I can from this place.
Awful Managment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  West Jordan, UTNovember 14, 2018
Management is awful!! DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. They also do not pay well at all for what you do. There is no way to live off of the amount you make here.
Pros
Discounts