VCA Animal Hospitals Employee Reviews

Good work environment
Veterinary Technician/Lead Surgery Technician (Current Employee) –  New Cumberland, PAApril 17, 2019
High standard of care, employees and doctors who are passionate about doing the best they can for the animals. Hardest part of the job is having to work weekends including kennel shifts that have to be done by technicians.
Very nice work place and you can work your way up to other positions.
Technician (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 17, 2019
This was a good place to work if you had no other life which I did not at the time. I started in Kennel and worked my way to technician by the Dr training me.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Corporate takeover nightmare
Veterinary Technician /Veterinary Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INApril 12, 2019
Used to be a wonderful family Like atmosphere. Corporate came in and stripped all of the small town personal feel from every aspect of this place. Lost every single good long time technician/receptionist, and many longtime clients and counting. The 2 doctors that remain at this location are fabulous women. I truly hope vca is treating them well, because they deserve it. Very sad. Corporate forced money making schemes left and right. Heartbreaking to all. Congratulations VCA corprate, you win!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Low pay, sell sell sell
Never Again
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westchester County, NYApril 11, 2019
Probably the worst place I've ever had the misfortune to work at. It had the highest turnover of any place I've worked, including retail. The worst position you could be in there was a receptionist. The clients are always rude and verbally abusive, the tech's were mostly unhelpful and condescending, and the doctors were even worse. If you complained at all management just said it would be addressed, and then nothing would happen. We were always understaffed, because they just didn't think it was a job worth paying for, so we went through a ridiculous number of people over the years. Mostly a lot of college kids or people looking for a second job, no one who made any plans to stay for more than a couple of months at the most. There was always overtime available because there were never enough people to get any work done. It's just not a job I'd recommend keeping for any length of time.
Poor management
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Weymouth, MAApril 8, 2019
There isn't a single good thing I can think of to say in regards to the way VCA Hospitals are managed. It's profit over people, every time. If it weren't for the individual, lower-ranked employees I worked with on a daily basis, I would have left long ago.
Stay away from VCA!
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAApril 4, 2019
STAY AWAY FROM VCA! VCA doesn’t care about their employees or their patients, period. There is a doctor where I worked that verbally abuses her coworkers, physically abuses her patients and on many occasions, would come in drunk. We took our concerns to management, even to our district manager, and they agreed to meet with her as they were acting like this was a huge deal (which it is). After talking to her all management told us was that “they were going to watch her” and that “they believe in second chances”. So yes, they gave this animal abusive veterinarian a “second chance”. I am so disgusted to have ever worked with and for people like that. I am now working for a vet clinic who actually cares.
Benefits
Cons
Working for and with people who don’t care
Awesome place to work!
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 2, 2019
High paced, great team work mentality. Management encourages us to excel and succeed! We have fun at work and when we have emergencies come in everyone comes together to provide the best urgent care possible! We thrive as a team and we are expected to shine in all the things that we do and we are praised and counseled all along the way!
Like working in a high school setting
Dog Bather (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 31, 2019
The job itself was OK. I worked as a bather at a Chicago location. The setting was very clicky and no one communicated with each other. It was like working in high school. People talked about each other and the setting was very uncomfortable. My manager was really nice at first and then seemed to flip on me. I would not recommend VCA if working with animals is a career choice. It's extremely unprofessional.
Pros
The animals were great to work with
Cons
Unprofessional, clicky, uncomfortable, poor management
Beware
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 30, 2019
How they treat you at first is very different once you are there for a few months. They are very deceitful and if someone does not like you they have it out for you until they can get you terminated. Otherwise you will end up being treated like an outsider. Do not plan to bring up issues or concerns, it will fall on deaf ears. The clients are great as well as the patients but the way this place is ran I highly recommended get a job somewhere else and it pays about the same as somewhere else.
Pros
Clients and getting to work with pets all the time
Cons
Management and bullying, disregarding concerns or issues
Work life challenges
Client Liaison (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 30, 2019
While the other employees are a true family, the building itself is a true issue. Its been under extreme construction for a year and it makes work life a true challenge. I just can't deal with the lack of serenity while doing such a labor intensive job. Also, there's no real financial compensation for any extra work done there.
Pros
Nice coworker
Cons
Low pay, ongoing construction
Look elsewhere!
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAMarch 25, 2019
Had to copy this review because it was so accurate in description to my experience at the office for this job posting. It must be contagious within this company. (Former employee - California)
Take both of our advice and Look elsewhere! horrible place to work both management and coworkers. Definitely a revolving door with good reason!!!

Look elsewhere!

Client Service Representative (Former Employee) – New Jersey – January 29, 2019

As others have mentioned, very mean girls type of atmosphere. As a new employee expect to have your toes stepped on by the other employees. They will also whisper about you behind your back and barely acknowledge you. Management just looks the other way since most of them are pals outside of the office. Preferential treatment when it comes to hours. If you need to leave early or take off, good luck, your supervisor will tell you to see if anyone else will “switch” shifts or days off with you, which is almost impossible. Techs are rude, no personalities, doctors are either rude and condescending to you or they just wont acknowledge you! I was once belittled in front of a client by a “well liked” doctor. Your own supervisor can walk right by you and not say a word to you. Its all smoke and mirrors, most appear “nice” to the outside world but are not really. The atmosphere here is unbelievable and laughable. Do yourself a favor, get some experience and run! Too exhausting trying to fit in. They also expect “flexibility” but they wont budge. This place is a revolving door and its easy to see why
Great work place
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMarch 16, 2019
The management team was great . Meeting and greeting new clients everyday . Educating clients on procedures and pet health care . Having to Euthanize patients was very hard to deal with .
Pros
Great work environment
Bad Medicine and Management
Certified Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 16, 2019
Upper management was very difficult to deal with and not trustworthy. Pet benefits were good but for my insurance it was pricey! Took most of my check away. They are employing people who are not certified to be in those positions. I will tell everyone to think twice before bringing their pet to a VCA. I wouldn't want my own pets being worked on by those people. And if I found out these were the people checking my dog's lab work, performing anesthesia or assisting in surgery, I would be irate!!! So I will spread the news to everyone I know! Stay far far away from VCA.
Csr In Ohio
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hilliard, OHMarch 15, 2019
The management expects a lot but does nothing. They have no work ethic or respect for their employees. Very tough place to work. Too busy to give good quality care to the pets.
Pros
Discount on pet services
Cons
High stress with no reward.
Nice people
Hospital Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 13, 2019
The people I work with are amazing they taught me so much. They love what they do, the staff I supervised were amazing. Keeping the staff employed was my top priority but that was not for my upper management. There is too large a disconnect between the office and the hospitals. They talk about how much they care for the employees but don't know how they are suffering under the stress of being successful and beating prior year budgets. The CEO is amazing the best part was the people I worked with love it so much.
Pros
the people i worked with directly, Training
Cons
being successful over the year before
VCA Aurora
VA (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILMarch 11, 2019
The work is fulfilling most of the time, but they take advantage of people's passion by underpaying and overworking people. Typical ups and downs of a Vet Med. Emotional stress of having to Euthanize pets, clients Stress about the cost of treatments.
Excellent place
Veterinary Assistant/Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 10, 2019
I love working in this facility it was fast-paced and easy going the owner was very nice the doctors were great excellent learning experience for any new technician or assistant
Very small clinic. Not enough workers.
Veterinary assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAMarch 6, 2019
Overall VCA Bascom is a good place that takes good care of clients and pets, but working there can be very stressful. If you like the claustrophobic scene, then this is the place for you.
Pros
1 hour lunches, often food for free, benefits
Cons
Small space, too many managers
Has ups and downs.
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 4, 2019
You can really learn a lot working here but the management is absolutely horrible! It does not matter how hard you work or how well you work, here is about whose butt you are kissing. No one is on the same page. One manager tells you to do it one way and another one tells you to do it a different way and they will talk bad about anyone and everyone here. You can go to the managers but nothing will be done or followed up on. Needs a new manager and supervisors.
Pros
Discounts and learning
Cons
Drama, hours, management, communication, etc
Horrible experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Aventura, FLMarch 1, 2019
I can't even begin to explain what I went through working here. There was probably only one supervisor who was good there. The training is basically just throwing you into the fire so to speak. I literally shadowed for one day, then became a receptionist the next day. Nothing would prepare me for the rude demeaning attitude of the supervisors there. There was ALWAYS a problem with my pay. I could never depend on my check coming on time or with the correct amount. And instead of trying to submit my hours on time they just tell me to wait for the next pay cycle, like I don't have bills to pay.The Aventura location in FL specifically needs new management, or training to say the least. Working here was pure torture. I would NEVER EVER work here again, or come with my own pets. And since two people were pregnant at the same time I began working here, they decided to start hiring and training all the new staff just about 3 months before the pregnant staff members were leaving! And they were the only ones with any clue of what was going on here.NEVER. AGAIN.
Pros
nothing
Cons
pay not on time, missing hours in check, long hours, rude staff, overpriced services