VCA Animal Hospitals

VCA Animal Hospitals Employee Reviews

Found 1,560 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,565 reviews

VCA Animal Hospitals insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

excellant

A typical Day at work I wolud have to say would be saying the animal happy running arund playfull engery when you first come in the morning to let them out or when they come into the office for a docotars visit they lve greeting the all of the staff memebars in the office.it just make work a fun and enjoyable day to work to take care of them. I have learned alot from vca just by different medical case that have occered in the office sudden medical case that we have no control over but we try are best to help the owner out and take extensive nurse care to a pet in need such as a neurological condition.I would have to say I enjoy working with the my managment and Co works as a group to accomplish on care towrd the customers and patients. the hardest part to this job I would have to say would be letting a patient Rest in peace but we know it is the best for them so we dont see them suffering other illnesses. the enjoyabe work to my job is see the patent health and full of energy.

Pros

customer care and service

Bad Environment

It is nearly impossible to maintain a positive attitude in this environment. Management is apathetic and just blames corporate, as if they aren't equally callous. If the motto, subpar care is better than no care at all, this is the place for you.

October 13, 2021
We're very sorry that you feel this way. We want everyone on our team to enjoy and feel comfortable in their work environment, as your efforts mean the world to us and your pet patients. Thank you for your honest feedback. If there is anything that you would like to share from your experience, please reach out to us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com.

Finally found my place

I've been wanting to work at a veterinary clinic for grooming for the longest time, I just needed to get the experience first! After trying countless salons (mostly family owned) I was starting to doubt I'd ever find one that I actually enjoyed working at while getting treated fairly. Let me just say I am SO glad I applied to this job. I was very upfront with my manager during the interview about struggling at my previous job with my manager being transphobic and constantly misgendering me. She assured me VCA as a company is very welcoming of the LGBTQ+ community and everyone there treats me with respect. I also asked about getting a salary raise and she made it happen right away.I am in complete control of my hours, the prices for my grooming, and best of all, I work by myself in my own room! No other gossipy groomers to deal with lol. My manager helped provide me with anything I needed to help improve the salon whether it be supplies, shampoos, you name it and it was paid for.

Pros

Paid for equipment, nice wages, good management

October 7, 2021
We're so happy that you found us and that you feel so fulfilled in your role. It's an honor to have you as a part of our team, and we want you to know that we're eager to watch you grow and thrive in your career. Thank you so much for everything you do!

A lot of improvements!

When I started, VCA was lacking in a lot of areas when it came to employees. They have made great strides in the last five years. Way better wages and great benefits. Added more support roles - you can literally find a person to help you with just about anything. They also managed to handle covid in a pretty organized and appropriate manner, considering we are considered essential employees. Double over time pay and paid time off if you do get covid. Added an extra sick day to the year as well. Best medicine is also very important to the company and for me personally, I really appreciate that.

Pros

Pto, benefits

Cons

Lots of hours due to covid. Trouble finding employees.

October 4, 2021
Our team means the world to us, and we're very happy to know that you have felt and seen improvements in your working environment. We can't express our gratitude enough to you for all of your hard work. Thank you for all you do!

VCA Review

Its an okay place to work. You can definitely move up but it takes time. Benefits are decent, especially if you have pets. Veterinary medicine as a whole we're over worked so VCA is no different. Short staffed and over worked but that's the job.

October 4, 2021
We know the last year and a half has been incredibly taxing and stressful, so we want to take a moment to thank you for all your hard work. Your efforts were appreciated and we wish you the best in everything you do.

The team atmosphere and family feeling

I've never worked somewhere where the manager and doctor were so very committed to making every day a good day. Passion for the animals we care for and client relationships are more important than the bottom line at VCA. They are really engaged in making sure we have all the tools needed to perform at the highest level and always offer the support and education needed to attain that level. Great place! Great people and work life balance is paramount.

Pros

Team fun days provided by the practice i.e. Apple picking, whale watching trips etc.

Cons

Busy busy place and sometimes lunches need to be shortened.

October 20, 2021
Your comments have made us smile, as we love reading about our teams and their relationships. It's so wonderful for us to know that you enjoy your role at VCA. We're proud of you and appreciate everything you do for your hospital!

Supportive environment with room to learn and grow

Management is very supportive in furthering your education/career. It is a strong and empowering environment. A job you can be proud of having and coworkers you can trust.

Pros

Employee discounts, benefits

September 20, 2021
We're happy to do whatever we can to foster and encourage your growth in your career. Thank you for everything you do for your hospital. You're a valuable asset and we're proud to have you on the team!

Career, not just a job!

Really supportive and inclusive atmosphere, both on the hospital level and working with our leadership team. Focus on continuing education for all team members, regardless of position.

Pros

Culture, including hospital team in decision making, everyone is really genuine.

September 16, 2021
We're ecstatic to read your comments, as it's important to us that our environment is supportive and inclusive for each member of our team. Thank you for continuing to contribute and grow with VCA!

Some people enjoy slacking but making pet parents smile was great

Great place to expand my knowledge and learn about medical terminology and being a translator from doctors messy and abbreviated notes to the process of the following steps, I made sure everyone knew we had their pers best interest in mind.

Pros

Good team leader after a few months, puppies?!

Cons

No upward advancement or benefits

September 16, 2021
We hope for everyone on our team to be able to grow and expand their knowledge, and we appreciate you sharing your feedback. Thank you for everything you did for your patients and clients, and please know that we wish you all the best moving forward.

Favoritism

Horrible company. All they did was lie about things that never happened, and bash and embarrass new hires. What a waste of time. Favoritism is big here. If you don’t get close to your coworkers, the run straight to management who were all good friends and blab on you. Same with the supervisors. They were all best friends and new hires don’t have a shot here. This place is a joke.

Pros

sometimes free food

Cons

Favoritism, Short breaks, low pay.

September 14, 2021
We value and appreciate every one of our team members, so we're disappointed and concerned by your comments. We're sorry that you did not like working in your hospital. If you are open to discussing your experience in depth with us, please reach out to EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you.

This place should be shutdown

I worked here for months and things only got worse. The management is terrible, most coworkers spend their time complaining about how awful this place is. I was accused of things that didn't happen, management didn't really care to hear my side of things. They had months to fix things are now panicking because a huge amount of techs and tech assistants have left to find better veterinary practices. Training was a joke there is no organization. Pay is the same as a Target Employee 15$ per hour. Safe yourself some sanity and find better clinic.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Pay, disorganization, management, costs

September 8, 2021
We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy your time in your hospital, as we care a great deal for our team and want everyone on it to thrive and succeed. If you are willing to discuss your comments with us in further detail, we would appreciate it, and ask that you reach out to us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. We're here to listen. Thank you.

Run in the opposite directon

I worked at VCA for ten months before I left and it was the worst ten months of my life. Completely understaffed and underpaid, there's always drama, they say they'll teach you and then never do, you ask for a raise and it never happens. You end up being completely overworked and taken advantage of by your supposed coworkers, your ten hour shift can turn into 14 hours because you get pulled in all different directions, sometimes you don't even get a lunch break. Personally I wish I had never even applied to work for this company.

September 8, 2021
This is not how we expect any of our hospitals to function, and we are very sorry to learn that you came away with these feelings after working for VCA. If you are open to a discussion about your experience, please send us an email at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. We would like to speak with you. Thank you.

Management Team Shapes the Environment in the Workplace

The management team can make or break the environment and its daily functions. I am very fortunate to work for an animal hospital that has an incredible management team. If things break they are repaired ASAP, if employees have conflicts such as illnesses, injuries, and/or personal conflicts- they are resolved with care and efficiency to show that employees are being cared for while continuing to provide for the clients that also deserve care for their pets. You can't be afraid of hard work or taking one for the team. We all work together to increase productivity and ensure safety for employees, clients, and patients. The best part of this job is helping pets to feel better- oh and of course all the cuddles from all the critters that walk in the door! It has been a great pleasure to work here thus far!

Pros

Great culture, safety standards set in place, being with animals, adjustable hours

Cons

Working holidays, working in all weather conditions (partly outdoors)

September 7, 2021
We're so glad that you've loved your time working with VCA, as we greatly appreciate everything you do for your team. We love hearing from our team when they feel valued and confident in their duties and environment. It's a great pleasure to have you as a part of the VCA family!

Cannot make a career unless a veterinarian / manager

Extremely extremely underpaid. There is no way to live on the compensation unless you are a veterinarian or maybe hospital manager. That is the biggest con.

Pros

Discount for employee pets

Cons

Pay, late hours, 2 paid holidays a year

August 31, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry that you didn't feel properly compensated for your role, but let us assure you that your hard work was appreciated and we wish you nothing but success in your future.

High standard of medicine but toxic

I worked here as a receptionist for a year and asked constantly about being promoted to assistant. It never happened even though that is my background. I was constantly pulled into the office and written up for banal things. I felt bullied because the friends of management never got in trouble for the same exact mistakes. Staff bitter and there were cliques. I had people be straight up viscous to me while there. The drs were good and they practiced quality medicine but otherwise it was very busy, chaotic and stressful and I felt extremely outcasted.

Pros

Good benefits. A teaching hospital

Cons

Bad pay. Cliques. Drama. Toxic. Gossip.

August 31, 2021
We're very sorry that you weren't happy with your role at VCA. We want all our team members to thrive in their work environment, and we would never tolerate toxicity like this. If you are willing to discuss your experience with us, please know you're welcome to reach out to EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you.

Great career opportunity, and solid, caring company

VCA Antech is fantastic. Homegrown from some amazing leaders and honest pet lovers. Join VCA if you want a lasting career in the Veterinary Medical profession - you will grow and learn. I worked there 9 years.

Pros

Strong honest, large corporation with some very caring leaders.

Cons

I left VCA during an acquisition, where I felt uncomfortable with mutual respect and inclusion.

August 26, 2021
Although we are glad to hear that you were able to grow and learn during your time here with caring leaders, we're concerned by what you have described about your discomfort and it's important to us to learn more about this. When you're able, please reach out to us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com so that we may talk about your experience further. Thank you.

Unfair management

Employee’s and clients are wonderful. Management is very unfair and hostile. Worst management team I have ever worked for. They don’t care about how you work. They only care about if they can turn you into mean people like them.

Pros

Service discounts

Cons

Management, hostile work environment

August 16, 2021
This is not the kind of environment that we want in any of our hospitals. Please know your comments are taken very seriously, and if you are willing, we would like to learn more about your experience. Please reach out to us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com when you have a moment. Thank you.

Overworked and underpaid

The lowest pay of any animal hospital in the area, no breaks, if you have skip lunch or work past your shift due to emergencies the hospital manager will change your time punches in order to short your paycheck.

August 17, 2021
These comments are taken seriously and we would not tolerate something like this in our hospitals. Please reach out to us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com so we can discuss this matter. Thank you.

Slow paced and short staffed

Everyone is quitting and the people that were left are either lazy, call out or leave early. Not much drama, except between manager and staff sometimes. Chill environment towards the afternoon.

Close-knit coworkers, oblivious management.

I have worked for this company for almost three years, and after the last year that ALL (not just our) techs and doctors have gone through, we are still struggling to notdrown in the increased workload and decrease in employees. Our manager keeps adding on doctors and expecting the dwindling staff to handle it. Everyone is exhausted, and has had absolutely no compensation or accommodation to our needs. Attempting to call in sick leads to the manager telling you to find your own cover, and requests for time off made a while in advance are overlooked. Overall such a disappointment of a career-starter, as veteran employees are jaded as all get-out. The experience is not a good look for someone starting out in the veterinary field.

Pros

Caring coworkers, sometimes our manager would give us bags of chips

Cons

Underpaid, understaffed, you’re lucky if you get a break.

Exhausting

Management will never have your back. False promises about advancement. Long work hours. Great doctors,clean and large establishment. Has great training videos , only if you actually had time to do so

Pros

meeting all the client's and the fur babies

Cons

Long work hours. Staff not trained properly

August 6, 2021
It's essential that we make sure our team members have everything needed to thrive, so we are saddened by the comments you've shared here. We hope for a chance to learn more about your experience, and we ask that you please reach out to us at EmployeeConcerns@vca.com. Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCA Animal Hospitals. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

1.5
InHerSight Score
1.5Personal Development
1.8Career Opportunities
1.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight