VCA Antech, Inc. Employee Reviews

Nice work environment
Claims Processor -Risk & Safety Dept.) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 26, 2018
Entering data ino the Claims system. Various office procedures: filing, scanning, xeroxing, emailing, phone calls to speak to the insurance claims departments and hospitals.
Researching and collecting information pertinent to individuals injury.
Cons
individuals injury
I enjoy my clients and have tried to help them through the good and the bad of their animal family
Reception Manager (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MAMarch 8, 2018
I really enjoy interacting with my clients.I considered them an extended family. As far as my staff..I always felt you are only as good as the people who work for you. I always treated my co workers with respect. I am now looking to be a part of a reception team and not management.
Pros
vet services
Cons
lack of compassion for staff
Very unorganized.
CSR Supervisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 19, 2018
I was hired to be a supervisor. I was always undermined which caused my staff to not listen or respect me. It was very difficult to perform my job under those circumstances.
Medicine is not the focus
vet (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 28, 2018
Gave my life to this practice and after VCA bought it out they completely destroyed it. Went from $2.3 million/year to less than $1million, with about 1/4 the staff. Payroll is a joke. Where industry average is roughly 23-25%, VCA mandates an average closer to 16-17%! Insanity! The only good thing is the pay, usually. But it isn't a guarantee and they are always pressuring both vets and staff constantly to improve sales, sales, sales. They push client satisfaction but give you little tools or talent to achieve it. The people themselves, the staff, etc, work hard and are good, but the corporate environment is NO place for medicine, especially veterinary. Corporate medicine has forced veterinarians to become the highest suicide rate among professionals, has destroyed the publics trust and perception of the veterinary field and talk out of both sides of their mouths. Sadly, it will not get better but worse. Veterinary medicine in the classic sense of client/patient/vet relationship is dead. Corporate greed wanted the golden egg so badly they've killed the goose and are trying to pilfer its corpse for monetary greed.
Pros
salaries mostly
Cons
staffing, hypocrisy, cut-throat corporatization
Poor Management
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLJanuary 21, 2018
Poor management and communication
All about money and how many extra services you can con clients into that they don’t need,
Trying to make a better hospital but ending up just making the employees feel bad about themselves,
Gossip like high school, even “management” does,
Does not use employees to their full potential
Pros
Cons
Management, hours, understanding
Productive, fast paced, collaborative
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 19, 2018
I love working with VCA. The people are great, caring and friendly. Never a dull moment in the hospital.
I just wish we would get more hours/shifts during the week.
Pros
Benefits, time off, free lunch w/ meetings
Cons
Short shifts, not enough hours/pay
This company is a joke $$$
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CAJanuary 11, 2018
This is more of a business run for financial gain than healthcare orientated. Everything is sales and volume based, with the laboratory side taking the brunt of the stress. Laboratory employees are expeceted to work long difficult hours with little pay (minimum wage). Management constantly telling you to move faster for pennies, though they make a healthy profit per test. One employee is completing thousands of dollars worth of tests but gets paid minimum wage for high skill positions.
Pros
New building, free coffee
Cons
Short breaks, terrible wages, no paid holidays, no night differential.
Fast paced, demanding and stressful environment
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKJanuary 10, 2018
Poorly run veterinary hospital with high turn over. This clinic is in the business of making money not helping pets. Environment is stressful, with very little praise or encouragement.
Pros
Benefits, paid time off
Cons
Difficult work environment, very stressful, high turn over
Poor work life balance
Sales Director (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 10, 2018
Great team building and events, too much travel and lack of leadership. Recent take over my MARS may bring structure and advancement opportunities. Some great people there.
Pros
teambuilding
Cons
Travel, Leadership
Stressful job that should be enjoyable.
Kennel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 4, 2018
They say the job is guaranteed full time, but they cut your hours if they aren’t busy. One week Youre supposed to get 38 hours, and they send you home so much that you only get 10. The people who work there are nice, but not fun to work with. They don’t do their jobs and you basically have to pick up their slack. They take advantage of the new people. Good luck if hired.
Cons
Co-workers. Pay.
Find a Better option
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Aloha, ORDecember 31, 2017
This company does not care about it's employees; the management was awful, the staff are bullies and very cliquish. Advancement opportunities are promised but never kept. Hours vary despite supposed set schedules and more then that, they allow abusive, pervasive and discriminatory behavior and chock it up to "the norm". If you are looking for a positive rewarding career in Veterinary medicine this is not the place.
Pros
Working with animals and a good people who worked there
Cons
management, reception/coordinators/ hostility/scheduling/ everything
Been lied too many times
Animal Caretaker (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GADecember 29, 2017
I’ve used to work there couple years back. Ever since there was a manager change. This place has gotten downhill. And apparently it has gotten worse since I left
busy
Payroll Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 28, 2017
Processing payroll for over 48 states and supervising for clerks
working closely with managements and the hospitals, helping the clerks with any problems
Pros
working
Cons
employee with bring their pets to work
Typical corporate veterinary hospital
RVT (Former Employee) –  Orangevale, CADecember 27, 2017
VCA is known to have horrible management, especially at VCA American River Animal Hospital. I am surprised how many staff members leave because of the practice manager with no changes made by upper management.
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Bad management
Worst job ever
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, CODecember 27, 2017
Pay is horrible. Certainly not enough to have to deal with all of the stress and work load. Don't work there!! Prime example of corporate America. They had had me doing things i should have been doing pregnant and I went into labor 5 weeks early. They also cancelled my insurance without telling me after my son was born.
vca is great
Kennel Technician (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 15, 2017
I've worked at VCA for a little over a year and it has been the best experience I could've possibly had as my first job in the field. The people I work with are amazing and the oppurtunities to learn and advance are always available.
Poorly managed hospital
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 14, 2017
VCA is a good company to work for, however the hospital I am working at is consistently understaffed. I enjoy the clients and their pets. The hardest part of the job is of course euthanasia of pets. The part I enjoy the most is seeing pets health improve. The doctors are wonderful.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
difficult commute, they hire out of desperation
you will be conned
Kennel Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 11, 2017
kennel tech basically means janitor. you're expected to clean up after everyone else. was promised competitive pay & advancement opportunities, that was a lie. when someone else soils your workspace, it's you getting into trouble. doing 3 different positions & having mandatory meeting when i'm only paid for one. you can do no right.
Pros
discounts
Cons
everything
over worked, but had great co-workers
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CANovember 27, 2017
This company is so fast paced but the money doesn't make up the difference. there is not a lot of upward movement available. they don't pay enough for the amount of work that is asked to do. the work life balance isn't there.
Pros
discounts on vet bill
Cons
long hours and not enough pay or upward movement
Terrible experience
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 25, 2017
One of the worst jobs I've ever had (and I've had a few!). The pay is laughable (you can make more money flipping burgers) but beyond that even- the workload is enormous. The VCA I worked at experienced CONSTANT staffing issues (gee, wonder why?) and management's solution was simply to push the work of 3 people onto whatever employees still remained. Within 5 days of starting, I was left alone to single-handledly manage an emergency room by myself. It's really a painful experience to have multiple serious emergencies presented at the same time- knowing that someone will have to wait because you're the only one working, and that the time both of these animals have left is running up. There simply were not enough employees to keep the front desk appropriately staffed based on volume of business and it was too great a burden for me to look an owner in the eye who desperately needs help and tell them "please wait." At the end of the day, the patients deserved better and so did I. These staffing issues could have been reconciled had management been willing to stick around and support the team rather than clocking out at least ten minutes early everyday (assuming they showed up at all.) Overall, it was a terrible environment that functioned on passing blame around and being unkind to each other. I still can't believe some of the open hostility between staff members that I witnessed. There was zero camaraderie, zero team-work, and no feeling of "work-family" whatsoever. I had to get out to feel human again!
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Everything else