VCU Health System Employee Reviews

Childish
Valet (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 8, 2018
Inconsistent management and employees. They are lackadaisical in their operations. Harsh towards their employees specifically in regards with religious beliefs.
Excellent working enviroment
HIM Level II - Document Review Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 5, 2018
Although this was a temporary assignment , the staff treated you as a fulltime associate. VCU is a excellent company to work for. Training class was overall great and job was worth the time and I learned alot.
Great place to learn and work while attending pharmacy school
Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 1, 2018
This was a great place to work and learn while attending pharmacy school. I mostly worked in the inpatient pharmacy during my time there. Also mad IVs and compounded medications.
Very good
Patient Appointment Center Trainer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2018
Awesome place to work. I loved working here because it was very satisfying know that I was helping sick people with making appointments teaching new staff.
Would not recommend
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23230August 16, 2018
The management is horrible. Unable to provide answers, lacks management experience, culture, diversity, culture and work ethic. High turnover rates.

Management does not support their team, unable to provide answers or assistance for growth (no training), promotes “friends” within the department.

As long as you are a “yes man” you will be fine.
Pros
Shops at Willow Lawn, free parking (designated spaces)
Cons
Short breaks, no departmental training, will work you until you’re dry, managers are nasty
Love having interaction with patients.
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 25, 2018
A typical day for me would include taking message off the voicemail. Print the schedule for the clinic for the next day. Check in patients, collect co-pay and have patient complete new patient paperwork. Schedule additional appointments, answer phone transferring calls to correct location. Enter charges get insurance authorization., pull orders for the next day clinic. What I enjoy the most when working with the patients is seeing them improving with the help of therapy.
Pros
Supevisor is flexible when you have to take time off on short notice
Cons
Short lunch break
Poor Management Leadership
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 6, 2018
If taking on another role it is expected to bring with you most of the job responsibilities from the previous role.

Lack of capable leadership, lack of HR concern for employees
Cons
Stressful, lack of salary
Kids were fun, management was not
Child Care Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 20, 2018
The best part of my job was being with the kids. The management didn't know how to motivate employees. It seemed like the only time we heard from or saw our supervisors was when we were being told we were doing something wrong. The teachers love the kids and should be supported better in their positions.
great place to work
Nurse Manager Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 10, 2018
This urban hospital provides care for many people in the Richmond Community. I was able to move up the ladder in the company smoothly after learning my current job thoroughly. I found that management is not always the best and the most qualified but those who knew the job were amazing and well rounded.
Fun and stressful
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 10, 2018
It's a nice place to work at. I'm a volunteer so I can't give much detail but from what I have noticed it's a nice place to be working at. I have been there for almost 6 months now and it has been really fun and stressful.
Collaberation
Administrative Specialist/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 31, 2018
Very collaborative work environment at all levels of the healthcare system, from Doctor's, to nurses, to support staff, to security officers, to environmental services personnel. We all support each other in every way.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
High parking fees
educational
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 15, 2018
you learn to deal with a lot of diversity. you will learn a lot about the disease process and how to treat them. workplace culture is very diverse and the management makes sure that all cultures are treated fairly.
Seems like a good place to work but accountability standards vary per department
Outpatient Scheduling Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 9, 2018
This seemed like a really good place work. It was frustrating to be in a management position know that my staff was held to a different standard than other departments. The staff knew this as well which caused a strain on our department moral.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
work culture
Typical Day
Practice Ops Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 4, 2018
Supervision of patient scheduling, registration, financial counseling, medical records, billing and collection, data entry and processing, and cash posting. Daily deposits
Promoted excellent customer service
Assist the Site Manager in developing, implementing and maintaining office policies and procedures.
Oversee registration of patients
Supervise medical coding, medical billing, and banking
Pros
Friendly and Fun staff
Respiratory Therapist
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 17, 2018
Benefits are great compared to other health systems. Great place to learn. Respiratory Therapists can sit ECMO pump after obtaining enough critical care experience.

Lack of support from leadership in the respiratory care department. Hospital administration/HR does not seem to care about staff that do not have RN or MD after their names. Hourly pay is extremely low, even for experienced staff members.

Management should listen to their employees when they raise concerns rather than trying to get out of having to address issues. Don't let other managers dictate what your employees can do - they report to you for a reason. Don't lie to staff members about clinical ladder pay and ECMO pay in interviews just to get a warm body in the door.
benefits
Cons
lack of career advancement for allied health team members, lack of leadership from management
Busy work place
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 16, 2018
Its an 12 hr shift, management is very poor, benefits ok but medical is too high. You do not feel appreciated. The most enjoyable part of my day is making an seeing my patients smile.
Great work enviornment
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 8, 2018
It is a great place to work. I felt like it was family and everyone loved their job. I worked for a wonderful supervisor and my hours were exactly what I wanted.
Pros
Free Lunches Sometimes
Cons
paying for parking
Great place to work.
Senior Cost Accountant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 3, 2018
Great place to work with wonderful benefits in the downtown Richmond area. Flexible working hours and family oriented. I've learned a great deal since working at VCU Health System and met a lot of wonderful people. Everyone seems to have great work ethics which makes the work environment run very smoothly.

There are ample parking garages/decks that the transportation department will help you find one closest to your building. Very professional environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Downtown parking garages/decks
Great place to work not much room for advancement
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 24, 2018
A typical day at work is very face paced but manageable once it becomes repetitive. We are open 24 hours 7 days a week so its very demanding. Management is fair not much room for advancement. Its very diverse culturally. The hardest part of the job working in a hospital setting is being around so much sickness and death, but it definitely makes you grateful and humble. The most enjoyable part of the job is bring able to meet so many new people with so many stories and being able to assist with them.
Pros
Assisting Others In Time Of Need
Cons
Stagnant Pay Rates & No Room For Advancement
Workplace experience
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2018
I personally would not recommend VCU health as a place of employment to others. I absolutely hate that employees have to pay for parking while employed here. VCU health seems to be a very unorganized organization and the pay is terrible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VCU Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

VCU Health System Reviews by Location