Verizon Employee Reviews

Found 21,828 reviews matching the search See all 22,495 reviews
Overall great company
Experience Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 1, 2019
Overall I believe Verizon pays well & gives plenty of room for advancement. That being said, it is a fast paced & competitive work environment. There are strict goals stores must meet & sales are basically all management cared about. In my particular location I felt the men employees were favored & that was often off-putting. There were times I felt I went above & beyond my job description & it was underappreciated. There were a handful of managers that were excellent & genuinely cared about your well-being, success & concerns with the position. If you are able to put up with a "boys club," meet sales goals, and work often longer than your scheduled shift this job would be great for you. The pay usually made it worth it. & since you work a lot you become close with your team. I often miss the comradere of my Verizon location.
Pros
Good benefits, Fair pay, Room for advancement
Cons
Long hours, somewhat sexist, retail schedule
Raises expectations and lowers benefits
Solutions Specialist (Sales Representative) (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJanuary 6, 2019
Over my time at Verizon, I have seen countless job cuts, funding cuts, decreased commissions due to raised quotas, decrease in store funding for certain items, and an overall lack of spending meanwhile the company's stock soars. When I first started, our location had seven more people than we do right now, quotas were attainable, and the culture was great. Over the past year, I've lost $7,000 in pay in comparison to the previous year due to a new commission structure that is unrealistic in our geographic location. It's not a bad place to work if you're just starting out, but unless you are able to move to a different area, promotion is impossible. The only way up is to move away.
Pros
Stable income, good starting pay, good health and life benefits
Cons
work harder and harder to receive less and less take home pay.
Not a fun place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJDecember 5, 2018
This is a company focused on its customers. However, if you are just starting out, or if you think this is a fun place to work - LOOK ELSEWHERE. Unfortunately, the workplace culture is stuck in 1999 and the management is worse. Mostly, it seems that upper management is trying to make locations more inviting to the younger workforce, but is failing at every single turn. If you're a person with new ideas, be prepared to be shut down at anything remotely fun. On the off chance that any of your ideas do get approved, just know that there is an 80% chance that your manager, or senior manager will take all of the credit and leave you wondering why you even bothered. Workplace advancement is very slow, and trying to get ahead is slim in general. Don't expect much unless you're willing to be around for 20+ years.
Pros
Good pay/benefits.
Cons
Slow advancement, Terrible management, Stiff Culture.
Wonderful place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVOCATE (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALDecember 14, 2018
A typical day consists of time on the phones with frequent breaks. I learned additional customer service skills relating to billing and account management. The supervisors at Verizon have always been caring, not only about your productivity, but your career goals and how to help you obtain them. The culture crew at Verizon makes an effort to keep everyone happy, engaged and immersed in the culture at Verizon. The hardest part of the job is the call volume. There are days when it's not so bad, but days where it is back to back. The most enjoyable part of the job is the peer and supervisor support while handling calls.
Pros
employee-oriented company, amazing benefits and wage
Cons
overwhelming call volume at times
Good compensation but not so excited about management
SR. APPLICATION DEV MANAGER/TECHNLOGY LEADER (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 10, 2019
Though Verizon is a great company however the inside culture within IT is not great because of strong bias towards specific candidates for promotion. Talent is not recognized and hence best talent leaves the company within 1-2 years of time frame. Verizon do provide great compensation but the work life balance is totally horrible. You have to bring your own Coffee to work, this tells us that how much Verizon invests in their own employees development.
Pros
Great compensation, Great products
Cons
Horrible management, Bad Work life balance
Seeking a career with a great work environment and potential growth in company
Customer Service/Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Township of Hamilton, NJNovember 24, 2018
Looking for a career in which I can grow. Currently employed at Verizon with no growth in company. Due to work hours and commute I have missed alot of my children's childhood and now seeking either a closer commute or different hours than the 1-9pm the I have worked for the last 10 years. Management at Verizon usually changes every year so as soon as your comfortable with the work style of management you get someone else who is looking for something different but I have no problems adjusting to what the company needs. A typical day would consist of taking about 30 phones calls with selling and managing the objective for the customer. I reach my sales quota every month and will continue to work hard for any employer.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement and decent salary
Cons
Employee for 10 years and still working the same hours qith 1 hour commute
Verizon Enterprise Sales Representatvie
Sales Representative/Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 1, 2019
Great benefits and Training. Company provides you tons of amazing training and support but it is a performance culture. If you are not able to develop and reach the numbers they expect, then you will eventually lose your job. Verizon is constantly evolving and that evolution includes lay offs, and hurts corporate culture. Leadership is working to find the right niche in the market for Verizon enterprise and at times front level people lack job security or are placed in situations where they are not able to succeed in their role. Management does work to provide additional opportunities when this happens.
Wasted 3.5 years at Verizon Wireless
Telesales Representative (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 20, 2019
The pay was great at Verizon but the company puts a lot of stress on you. The benefits offered were some of the best I have ever had. The management was horrible at my location in Irving TX at the telesales center call center. You were rewarded and praised if you were a great sales rep but sold fraud to fraudsters calling in for service. Monthly sales goals were based on selling fraud. Just like any big corporation its all about politics and if your liked or you kiss butt then they are on your side and will take care of you.
Pros
Pay, service discounts
Cons
Culture, management, stressed out all the time
Foundation for a great career
Sr. Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDFebruary 14, 2019
Verizon was a great company for me to grow with. No two work days were the same and the environment was always fast-paced. What set the company apart from others were it's people and the workplace culture. The most challenging part of the job was being able to "turn it off" to balance home and work. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to shape and develop the careers of so many others while I was there.
Pros
Benefits, flexible work locations, type of work
Cons
"always on", demands on locations where you could be promoted to Sr. Management
Co-workers were the best part of the job
FIBER SOLUTION CENTER ANALYST-INTERNAL HELP DESK (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 10, 2019
I worked for the company for over 25 years and submitted over 70 internal applications for advancement during that time. I was only provided 3 or 4 interviews from all of the applications. There was very little promotion within my department (any of the several I was a member of over the years). Most promotions I witnessed were to other departments. The compensation and benefits were wonderfully negotiated by the union. Verizon paid for most of my advanced degree programs, but did not appreciate my efforts to improve and try to give back on their investment in me. I retired and am using those degrees to pursue positions away from the company.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits negotiated by the union
Cons
No work/life balance in a call-center environment
Typical Corporate Culture
Database Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GADecember 10, 2018
The culture at Verizon has evolved in the same ways as many other companies of its size and in the same relative industry. They recently transitioned into the widely adopted "activity based workplace" environment which has many advantages but can be perceived as distracting if you come from the "cubicle" office environment.

From a personnel and management perspective, I have never felt restricted or held down by any manager I've worked for. Always open to suggestions and feedback and foster growth within the company.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive pay, emerging products and services
Cons
Currently going through restructuring, there will be some growing pains in the short-term until things settle
Decent place to work
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2019
Manage, coach, develop and motivate supervisors and representatives in Customer Care, Global Technical Support and Core Support back up. Partner with employees to create, implement and drive reward systems to build a strong culture of inclusion and performance excellence. Analyze statistical trends and opportunities by utilizing reporting tools while leveraging partnerships within the center and area operations team. Demonstrate the ability to strategically solve complex problems in a timely manner. Oversee management of customer service processes, advocate of change management and accountable for meeting/exceeding deliverables for the call center. Actively commit to daily floor management and engagement with all call center employees to drive morale and to address issues real-time.
Pros
Great salary and benefits
Started Great Until Regional Changed
Technical Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTJanuary 29, 2019
I enjoyed working for Verizon Wireless. Employee recognition was great. Benefits were wonderful as well as compensation. There was constant opportunities to enhance your career and build a career path. After 1.5 years of employment, the dynamic changed when the regional manager changed. Times were stricter, company moral was lost. I was unable to cope with the negative changes that I eventually was placed on medical leave and given depression medication until I left the company. Had the moral not changed, it would have been a wonderful place to tell people to apply to. With that unfortunate change, the branch I worked in closed down after I left 7 years later.
Pros
Benefits, Training, Advancement
Cons
Moral Changed When Management Changed
Money is good; benefits great (well......horrible for retirees $$$$!!)
Manager, Facilitation manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 5, 2019
The money was very good; job security is questionable - there are just way too many reductions in force.

There is a lot of wasted time doing and re-doing work. A lot of time is spent trying to make reports look pretty rather than doing what you are saying will be done in said reports.

Upper management (Sr VP+) have no idea (we hope) how much time is wasted at the Director and Sr Mgr level trying to make stuff look good rather than just telling the real story. We would sit on conference calls on mute pinging each other saying stuff like "are you hearing this?? Here we go again...trying to put lipstick on a pig".

But.....they do pay very, very well for all of the pete and repeat stuff they want you to do. It's just annoying to see the wastefulness.
Pros
Money and benefits
Cons
Unrelistic dog and pony shows put on by mgmt; horrific cost for retiree medical benefits!
Things were much better before the mass hiring spree in 2014
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJanuary 31, 2019
I promoted quickly in the company. Promotions seemed to be unfairly given to some people at times. It's very political. Prior to the mass hiring the company did in 2014, things were great! The company spent money on its employees and threw parties and gave out gifts. After they hired hundreds more people, they couldn't afford to provide free things anymore and they got cheap with company events. Management was about half and half as far as being helpful, friendly, and fair. Supervisors were treated worse than the frontline employees and were not given pay raises when the hiring pay was raised. This made some agents make very close to what supervisors made on salary which was not fair.
Verizon was a great company to work for when I first started there. After a few years and a change in CEO, the work environment became negative.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 21, 2018
A typical work day at Verizon was good for the most part. Sadly I learned more about company politics at Verizon than I did at any other job. The workplace culture was negative much of the time as Verizon slowly took away benefits and retirement plans over the years. Employee morale was low when I left. Workforce reductions were a common occurrence which led to more employee dissatisfaction. They also have a tendency to age discriminate. However I will say it wasn't all negative. The company provided excellent healthcare benefits and I really enjoyed working with my colleagues. Overall though, the negatives outweighed the positives.
Pros
Good healthcare benefits.
Cons
Work life balance.
There is a little room for advancement which creates a toxic culture
CONSUMER SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 11, 2018
The people that you work with a new retail center are very friendly and are the biggest asset to Verizon. The management culture is one that needs to be very closely looked at. The coaching and development that is provided to you by the retail leadership is minimal and it seems that the only coaches you have our goals to hold you accountable for not meeting the key performance indicator. The ability to progress in the company as a leader are extremely minimal and you have to move out of town in order to be considered for leadership. You have people that have been working as a retail employee for an average of five years plus without ever seeing a promotion or the likelihood of one which makes some people very irritable to work with.
Pros
Great starting pay
Cons
Minimal chances for promotion
Work life at Verizon
Central Office Technician (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 1, 2018
A typical day at work in Verizon used to be easy going as long as you did your work and didn't get into any trouble. Now it's like working in what a totalitarian state would be like complete with cameras and spies. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management and the constant addition of unreasonable rules and regulations that only seem to be instituted only for the purpose of making our work life more uncomfortable and gives them more opportunities to punish those fail to keep up with them. The hardest part of the job is getting up in the morning knowing I that I have to spend the next eight or more hours on the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I'm walking out the door of the building in order to go home for the day.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Worrying about what benefits will be lost in the next round of contract negotiations.
Victra Wireless - A Verizon Indirect Reseller
Retail Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2019
Victra has over 1000 stores and has become the largest indirect reseller of Verizon Wireless service in the country. As such, there is always opportunities to work for them and make some money. But, as they are always looking to purchase other, smaller indirect resellers, there are many periods of "belt tightening" during which they clamp down on hours available to work and set the sales commision tiers higher to increase their profitability while reducing the amount they have to pay out. This inevitably leads to a high turnover ratio, and the last time I heard a number they were averaging having to replace an employee once every 7 months. It is not a place for a long term future unless you want to work your way up the management chain of command, and you can expect that path to be highly stressful.
Pros
Make your sales and the job is secure
Cons
The bar (goals) for good commission payout are constantly being raised
FIELD Technician job considered obsolete
FIELD TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2019
Technically a fios installer. It is not an easy job. Coworkers hijack addresses that are easy to install. Managers are not to be trusted. They consistently lie. The Union is sometimes helpful. Avoid other coworkers and managers because everyone wants to know what you re doing to use it for their benefit. Such as easy installation jobs. As a technician you are a tool. Nothing more. Their is no advancement. Also management practices intimidation tactics. They have meetings on how to confuse workers as far as their entitlements. Also they have a quota on how many to suspend. Truly a hostile environment.
Pros
Excellent pay. Great benefits
Cons
Hostile work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Verizon. Our community is ready to answer.

57.9K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP15%
In the Top 15% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Verizon.

Powered by Comparably