Vermont Standard

Working at Vermont Standard: 4 Reviews

United States4 reviews

Enjoy assignments

I only work freelance with this company, don't know a whole lot about them, except for being sent on assignments to photograph events for the newspaper!

Pros

being published

Cons

not enough assignments

One of the most toxic work environments in which I have ever worked. Management bullies, co-workers unsupportive and gossip about others, some employees favored

Pros

Cons

Toxic work environment

Vermont Standard insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment

Paper well supported by the community

A typical work week is writing 6-8 stories a week. We have editorial meetings on Thursday mornings and we go out and write them no later than Monday morning. Mondays and Tuesdays are spent editing. The hard part of the job is writing stories on weekends. It gets in the way of me spending time with my kids. The most enjoyable part for me is covering high school sports. The workplace culture has improved in the last 8 months. It's a matter of finding the right fit for the jobs at hand.

Stressful and Improperly Run

The management is incapable of staffing properly so the work of many people gets put on just a few. There are many back door deals and there is an immense lack of communication between management and the people who actually do something to get the paper out. If you like the feel of a small town newspaper this may have been an ideal place to work up to a year ago when they welcomed on board an out of state con artist to make the business more profitable to sell. However, not only has he done the opposite he has also made a lot of problems with the advertisers and pushed out two long term (25-30 years) employees. If you like to get something new to do every day on top of the job you are actually being paid to do this is the company for you. 165 years of serving as the local newspaper and you'd think well even if management sucks I'm sure the content is at least decent and to that I say BARELY. They have a monkey behind the computer in the editorial department who has gotten so bad that they need a proofreader FOR THE EDITOR. Seriously, take my advice, apply anywhere else. McDonalds, Dollar General, a super market, busking on the side of the street will be a better option than working at this informal, unfortunate, degenerative rinky dink operation.

Pros

Nice Coworkers, paid hour lunch

Cons

Doesn't pay overtime, sketchy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vermont Standard. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Vermont Standard Reviews by Location

Learn about Vermont Standard in popular locations

• Vermont Standard
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?