Vertex Pharmaceuticals
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews

United States133 reviews
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is focused on solutions for real medical need that makes a difference in people's lives. They attract smart motivated people and give them the resources they need to succeed.

A requirement of the job is to successfully sell your project among all the competing proposals from other smart people in the company. Vertex is focused on leaders being able to develop compelling arguments, persuade Vertexians on the value proposition, and collaborate with others to achieve goals as opposed to have the top management just dictate what projects will be active and how many resources they assign to the work.

This fostering of value and data driven decisions via a competition is energizing for some but can be frustrating for people used to big Pharma hierarchical decision making. This also makes hiring team members from big Pharma a bit risky since they may expect others to run interference for them.

Overall, a great place to work if you are ambitious and focused on the value you are creating in pursuit of products that help with serious unmet medical needs.
I worked for this company from 2013 to 2018 as a free lancer.
The job as an Global Oversight Monitor for Europe was a challenge that gave me a lot of satisfaction.

The position was to the disappointment of my direct manager and myself not extended due to change in Vertex management.
Pros
The position of Global Oversight Monitor is: Challenging, heavy job with many surprises and problems to be solved on site.
Cons
Room for: better personal communication, more listening to comments.
The managers here don't take responsibilities for their actions and decisions. They like to shift the blame to the employees. Managers blaming the employees and humiliating them is a common occurrence.

PROS:

The company invests i facilities to improve the workplace.
Cons:
The company puts extra layers of process and review that add inefficiencies and confusion. Decision makers are either unresponsive, unreasonable, or can't agree with each other which wastes so much time. They also want their hands in everything but do not accept the liabilities and always blame it on the other.

Pros:

The company is successful, which you can take pride in working and being a part of even for a short period of time.
Good Perks
Great Opportunities available to co-ops

Outstanding compensation

Excellent WFH Flexibility

Great location - easily accessed by public transportation

Contractors and Temps don't benefit as much - limited opportunities for advancement and no guarantee for contract extension
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Working here was the worst period in my career. It made me feel unimportant and my morale was so low that I was just dragging myself to work. The management here would make you feel that you're just a mere worker who they pay for your services and nothing more.
You'll be stuck in the same position for a long time, there's no career growth woring in this company. If that's okay with you then you can stay, but if you want a direction for your career then get out now. Any dispute will be overlooked by the management and won't be handeled directly, they have no concern for the employees.
Pros
It's good to have the experience working here, it's a big company and it surely will have an impact for your resume.
Externally have a good image but internally absolute mess. Toxic work environment. The attrition rate is over the roof. They do wonderful science and helping so many children with cystic fibrosis but they need to learn how to treat their employees
The Manager was very nice and the work environment was very relaxed. I would highly recommend the job for anyone willing to learn within the biology level or technological level.
A classic example of leadership failure. They have some good and talented people working for them, but they don't know how to use people's potential. You'll be a sad soul if you work here as you learn nothing and come it daily only for the money!
Pros
The cafe has good food.
There's plenty of toxic people you'll have to deal with on a daily basis. Your manager, co-workers, including the clients would breathe down you neck every single day. Your work life is spent inside the office with these people so you can imagine how much patience and perseverance you have to have.
Very good learning experience and curve and nice place to work with. All the colleagues are very helpful and learned a lot.
Overall very good experience working there.
It's a very busy environment, non-stop movement in our department. There are so many things to accomplish that your life is mostly spent inside the workplace.
Pros
Surprisingly, the company has good facilities for the employees, It would be great if there's still time to utilize them.
Lovely facilities in the Seaport District and a dynamic and busy environment. The scientific work they are doing is inspiring. There does seem to be a lack of awareness around work/life balance that could use improvement.
The pay is average but they make you work to tears. They always like to have unnecessary meetings which makes so much wasted time, instead of using that time to work on the job they throw at us.
Pros
The labs are always working on something that would benefit the people.
Vertex is a really good company to work for. Compensation package is on par with industry standards. Culture is great and work is very flexible. I would love to be full time with this company!
Excellent and consistent communication between senior management and the entire company. Acknowledges challenges and identifies plans for future problem solving.
I started my career in the pharmaceutical industry with Vertex Pharmaceuticals in 2011. I was assigned to the companies first product launch. I was grateful to have a manager who appreciated me, taught me a lot, and made me feel included. I was able to gain about 8 years of a products full commercial life cycle in only 3 years. Incredibly fast paced, high science environment with innovative solutions and products.
Good People
Good Work Place

They take pride in what they do

Customers are prioritized

Employees are prioritized

Employees input are taken to account
This place is confusing. Constant reorganization and changes are happening. One day, you're working on a project. The next day, you'll be asked to stop that project and work on a totally different one. It's frustrating when you see your efforts and hard work wasted because of changing management decisions. It's hard to master you skills when your job scope keeps on changing suddenly.
Toxicity best defines the pervasive culture at Vertex. And it is getting worse. Avoid Vertex - it is where careers go to die. Management is incompetent.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vertex Pharmaceuticals. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.