Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews

United States152 reviews

pharmaceuticalculturebenefitcareeropportunitymeetingenvironmentcompany

Good & Bad Experience

The company is a very amazing company. They offer great pay, amazing benefits, very innovative, strive for success. My experience at the location started off good until new management took over the shift. Everyone became miserable on the shift. The work is very simple and for a very good cause. The other shift and other locations have such a more positive atmosphere. I hope it changes for my ex-colleagues they deserve it. The job became mentally draining and exhausting from career to I’m just here for a paycheck. I really hope they reconsider management and the lead to keep the Vertex atmosphere it had before a new manager had started.

Pros

Amazing benefits, Hour break, Amazing cause, Simple work

Cons

Management, Lead was disrespectful

Fun bunch of IT leaders at every level

The typical day at work comes with a great flow of tasks, working meetings, and daily standups. Resources are a little scarce, but enough are available to get a lot done. Management is committed to seeing improvements in most areas.

Pros

Flexibility to work anywhere

Cons

problem of data privacy in a researcher environment collaborating with external stakeholders.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to learn new things

Tough place to work but good benefits

Difficult place to work. Upper management works you into the ground. Expects everything to be done on tight (unrealistic) timeliness with what basically amounts to a skeleton crew. Company culture is also super "woke", and will send you emails to lecture you about politics and tell you how we're supposed to feel about certain things as "Vertexians". It really annoying if all you want to do is do your job.

Pros

Benefits are good, and work schedule is flexible

Cons

Tough work and they don't know their boundaries.

Fun but very challenging

Great Place to work! Always feel as if there is room to grow and learn more. Work can be a lot, but it's always rewarding and the team makes the juice worth the squeeze/

Fun and supportive environment

Personally. I have only interacted south wonderful and supportive people here. There is a need for this quickly- growing company to streamline decision-making and strategy. It's a good work environment for many people but not all.

New starter

It is a good company. A good organization Personel development and managerial support. Making a decision on daily job is little bit slow. You will have a chance to work many different contractors companies together.

Pros

Open to new learning and development

Cons

Slow developing process

Work life balance

I enjoyed working with vertex. My team was support and understanding. My manager made sure I adapt well. I enjoyed the work and even spearheaded an agile implementation project. Was able to deliver MVP in just 4 months.

Good Established Company

Good opportunity to advance, grow and learn new things. Management and the work/life balance needs adjusting on some teams, not all. Really cool place to cultivate skills in process chemistry, analytical chemistry and management of drug pipelines.

August 23, 2021
Thank you for posting your review. We will provide your feedback to the proper departments.

Meaningful and rewarding

Great culture! Challenging but amazing science and smart team players! Managers are always encouraging for balanced work and personal life! Fun group activities such as trivia challenge, birthday celebrations etc.

Pros

Great compensation and paid time off

Cons

Always busy!

August 23, 2021
Thank you for posting your positive review! We will make sure to provide your feedback to the proper departments.

Leadership seems lost

It seems leadership has no direction. The communications are horrible. There are way too many politics, more than any where I have worked. I am surprised they never promote anyone unless you are in a secret list.

Pros

Year end shutdown

Cons

Management is horrible. Communications are horrible for internal employees.

August 23, 2021
We are sorry to hear about your concerns in your current role. We would suggest you speak with your manager about promotion opportunities or reach out to your manager to develop a plan. We will provide your feedback to the proper departments. Thank you.

Fun workplace with diverse backgrounds

I enjoyed my time at Vertex. I was a temp. employee but was treated well by coworkers. Vertex pays well but they do dangle temp employees with benefits. My advice is to ensure you find out what manager is looking for and get those goals in writing so that you can justify getting a full time position. Competition is steep for next level

Pros

Good pay, benefits, Covid support

Cons

Competitive contractors to become full time

Good

work is good with new projects given everyday. Manager is very supportive of your work and helps you in succeeding. the overall culture is good and people are warm.

Young, Progressive and Authentic Workplace

I worked for Vertex for 8 years and throughout those years, It was growing every year. With growth comes challenges but we had the best management team and leaders to get us where we were going. It was an environment where we all worked very hard and dedicated alot of our time, but we had a lot of fun and leadership rewarded our contributions. it was a small company at the time with a very unique culture.

Pros

Free snacks, beer hour on Fridays, open door policies with C-Level Executives and great benefits.

Cons

Long hours at times.

Contractor Heavy.

I worked here for several months as a contractor with the promise of a permanent position. It didn’t workOut that way they save permanent jobs for their friends and family. It’s good to get experience there but don’t expect to get a permanent position (unless a family member gets you in) I guess if you need some specific skills on your resume go for it, but it’s tough. My supervisor had her sister reporting to her.....nepotism. Upper management is ok the middle management will send you into a downward career spiral.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Middle management, nepotism

IT Staff got along great and we all worked well together

The people that worked there were awesome and very helpful. We worked as a whole unit and we were able to get things done. Management was very supportive.

Pros

awesome work team

Cons

Chaotic situation

All over 4/5 stars

I worked for this company from 2013 to 2018 as a free lancer.The job as an Global Oversight Monitor for Europe was a challenge that gave me a lot of satisfaction.The position was to the disappointment of my direct manager and myself not extended due to change in Vertex management.

Pros

The position of Global Oversight Monitor is: Challenging, heavy job with many surprises and problems to be solved on site.

Cons

Room for: better personal communication, more listening to comments.

Management avoids responsibilities

The managers here don't take responsibilities for their actions and decisions. They like to shift the blame to the employees. Managers blaming the employees and humiliating them is a common occurrence. PROS: The company invests i facilities to improve the workplace.

Rewarding: focused on serious unmet medical need and promotes innovation

Vertex Pharmaceuticals is focused on solutions for real medical need that makes a difference in people's lives. They attract smart motivated people and give them the resources they need to succeed. A requirement of the job is to successfully sell your project among all the competing proposals from other smart people in the company. Vertex is focused on leaders being able to develop compelling arguments, persuade Vertexians on the value proposition, and collaborate with others to achieve goals as opposed to have the top management just dictate what projects will be active and how many resources they assign to the work. This fostering of value and data driven decisions via a competition is energizing for some but can be frustrating for people used to big Pharma hierarchical decision making. This also makes hiring team members from big Pharma a bit risky since they may expect others to run interference for them. Overall, a great place to work if you are ambitious and focused on the value you are creating in pursuit of products that help with serious unmet medical needs.

They want their hands in everything but do not accept the liabilities

Cons: The company puts extra layers of process and review that add inefficiencies and confusion. Decision makers are either unresponsive, unreasonable, or can't agree with each other which wastes so much time. They also want their hands in everything but do not accept the liabilities and always blame it on the other. Pros: The company is successful, which you can take pride in working and being a part of even for a short period of time.

Pleasant Surprise

Good Perks Great Opportunities available to co-ops Outstanding compensation Excellent WFH Flexibility Great location - easily accessed by public transportation Contractors and Temps don't benefit as much - limited opportunities for advancement and no guarantee for contract extension

Management Doesn't Care

Working here was the worst period in my career. It made me feel unimportant and my morale was so low that I was just dragging myself to work. The management here would make you feel that you're just a mere worker who they pay for your services and nothing more.

Common questions about Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Answered by current and former employees at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vertex Pharmaceuticals. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
4.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight