Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good start to a career
Field Medical Operations Lead/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 19, 2018
Good place to start out your career and build contacts. Workplace culture is fast, but morale has recently been very low. Turn over rate has recently been very high.
Pros
good stock benefits
Cons
no work/life balance, work from home allowed, no collaboration
Amazing place to work. Management listens to concerns and addresses situations if they arise
Senior Research Associate lll (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2018
The culture here is like family. The management team to Human Resources they know what they're doing. Never did I have to scramble with last minute details and rearrange monthly plans. Plans were well thought out. You can learn and grow here.
A typical day at work
Internal Controls (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2018
A typical day at my co-op position begins at 9AM; however, I usually arrive earlier around 8:45AM to read the news and check my email. By 9 o'clock we have a meeting with the GRC, Governance, Risk, and Compliance team, where we go over the new auditing system that we will be launching in few weeks. After that, I would go back to my office and start on my daily reports and follow ups with the control owners. In addition, I would also help my colleagues and my manager on completing their requests and scheduling future meetings.
The type of decision that I make at my work is basically on the way I present my work, as I am given free range on how I can present my work as long as I can explain what I have done. Moreover, I am able to make decisions based on time and prioritization, as some of my work is time sensitive and need to be completed within a short time frame. However, I tend to finish my work and tasks before the due date anyway. On the other hand, I make more personal decisions outside of work when it comes to my personal and professional development. To illustrate more, I would learn a new finance term everyday to enhance my finance knowledge and broaden my understanding. In addition, I am currently reading books about Internal Audits and GRC to familiarize myself with my role and the field as a whole. Also, I always ask my colleagues if I did not understanding a term or an abbreviation.
As for the motivation part, an internal motivator for me is to always gain new skills and exposures and to tailor and enhance my existing skills. I also want to contribute to the success
  more... of my team. Lastly but not least, a very important external motivator for me is to be recognized as a capable and hard-working first time co-op employee. As I start co-op I hope these motivators will guide me through my learning journey and help me gain the best professional experience.  less
Pros
Very welcoming culture
Great company and People
Senior Business Consultant - InteQ (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2018
A very energetic place to work, with a great culture and in a great location. I can recommend working there for anyone looking for an opportunity in a young and growing company.
Interesting
Technical writer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 30, 2017
I had a temporary position updating documentation, so I didn't knw all of the company. At that time the company had never made any money, so many things were minimal, but I believe everything improved more recently.
Great company culture, no advancement opportunities
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 27, 2017
The people who get promoted are the ones doing the most talking at meetings, not the people who are actually doing the hard work at the bench. Very little opportunities for growth or creativity. Good positive company culture and outlook overall.
Good place to work.
Associate Director -Strategic Sourcing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2017
Good benefits and lots of opportunity for growth. Exciting and dynamic atmosphere. Great location on the Boston Seaport. Overall a very positive environment.
Great company, but poor fit for me personally
Associate Director, Training & Development (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2017
Vertex is a great company. It does important work and is socially committed. Unfortunately the job I was hired for turned out to be a poor fit. The job was quite different than what I had expected.
Pros
Solid Culture, Does important work
Cons
Poor fit for me personally
Good environment
SAS Programmer (Current Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 18, 2017
It has been great privilege to work in Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc., MA . Working atmosphere is quite good. Team was also good,helping.Had a chance learn many new things
I have enjoyed working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals...Colleagues are very enthusiastic and co-operative.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, California, USASeptember 7, 2017
I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals, San Diego, USA. My job responsibilities were to establish large scale production of iPSC derived sensory neurons for high throughput screening.

Its a nice place to work with co-operative colleagues. The management of Vertex was very efficient and our chief gave opportunity to every employees to speak...we always had open discussions.

The workplace culture was very open, no discrimination...everyone was given chance to discuss their ideas.

The most enjoyable part of the job is I was doing stem cell culture and cell culture is my favorite job.
N/a
Scientific Associate II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 5, 2017
Long hours, but rewarding work. Management cares about employees and we are rewarded accordingly. Reasonably fair compensation however a lot is expected of the employees.
Great place to work"
SAS programmer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 3, 2017
I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals as a contractor.Wonderful people, great place to gain valuable experience.
Nice management and employee focus... good appraisal process
Pros
Excellent benefits; competitive pay; good work environment
Cons
Smaller company then some I've worked at so movement opportunities can be limited.
fun place to work, but must get job done.
Glass Wash Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 31, 2017
Vertex is a fun place to work at, because of all the events going on all the time. It can be very stressful depending on what department you work for.
Overall good place to work but it has its issues
Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2017
Good company to work for with attractive benefits. There are certain people that are favorites among top management and they can and do get away with anything while blaming others for poor science. There is an undercurrent of bullying that HR/Site head refuses to address. I would still recommend Vertex for 3-4 years for the amount of experience that can be gained in that amount of time.
Pros
Free breakfast, Friday happy hours
Cons
High demands, lack of accountability
great internship experience
Human Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 14, 2017
This was my first corporate internship ever, Iearned so much. Vertex gave me so many skills to build on that I will forever appreciate. I got to work with software that is valuable to have. I really enjoyed my internship at Vertex and would consider interning again or returning to a career. I always enjoyed coming into work. My co-workers were so helpful. The culture was awesome, very colorful, fun, and work hard, play hard culture. Did I mention Beer Fridays on Fridays? (wine, beer, homemade chips, wings, and cool music) :)
Pros
Awesome culture, Good Food, Beer Fridays
Vertex is an amazing company with so much going on in the field of cystic fibrosis
Scientific Assoxiate II (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 14, 2017
Although Gilead took the lead in Hep C drugs, Vertex has not vanished. They have several awesome candidates coming down the line.....................
Pros
All kinds of free stuff!
Cons
They treat temp workers like college freshman
great company
Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2017
very good culture, and balanced work environment. smart people and good products. i miss my days there and wish i still worked there and had become wealthy with the stock.
Great place to learn and grow
Corporate Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 25, 2017
Great company culture. Everyone is excited about the mission and direction of the company. Management is transparent even as the company continues to grow rapidly both domestic and international.
Productive and fun place to work with ping pong table
Lead Workday Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2017
Excellent place to work - with work life balance.

Flexible work schedule is provided.

Nice benefits and compensation.

Fun group to work with.

Look forward to joining them in future.
A company making you feel like at home
Statistical Programming Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 8, 2017
Vertex has a great culture and colleagues are nice to get along. It also gives you a lot of benefits which will motivate you to work harder.
There are even gym and dining hall inside the company with a decent price.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vertex Pharmaceuticals. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss