Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals Employee Reviews

Difficult to get hired full time if you start as a contractor
Scientific Consultant (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 28, 2019
The work is fine, just don't plan on getting hired if starting as a temp, ahem, I mean contractor. The facility is huge and looks nice, but seems to have many technical issues, especially for being almost brand new
Pros
Nice facility
Positive Work Environment
Process Chemistry Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 22, 2019
Great collaborative environment. The people are very passionate about what they do and are always willing to help others and put their very best work out there.
confusing work enrionmnet
Sr. Validation Lead/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 17, 2019
It was not a great place to work. Actually I was working through a Vendor and they did not organize well the work streams and assignments. I thought they still have some compliance issues.
Excellent Place to Work
Sr. Manager, Quality Systems (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 28, 2018
I love working at Vertex! It has been a fantastic opportunity to grow and learn within my career. I am so happy to be a part of such an excellent team and environment.
Vertex
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 16, 2018
The upper management at an a substation of the Towers ,while personable, do not effectively explain their expectations and goals and you are left to guess what you think they meant; you better be right in your guess because they hold you accountable and pile on with items not even in your wheelhouse or area of accountability. Overall experience was eye opening and disappointing.
Pros
Breakfasts and a nice little break / lunch room
Cons
general confusion
Best job in my career
Therapeutic Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 31, 2018
I would not have left except my division was dissolved. Management was amazing. We felt we were a team versus working alone. Open door access to everyone in the company. EXCELLENT!
Productive and fun workplace with table tennis table
QA Periodic Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2018
Vertex's benefits are very competitive, offering challenging and dynamic career opportunities across all areas of the organization while fostering a culture that embraces diversity, authenticity and enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
It's a very productive and happy place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 4, 2018
Vertex is a wonderful and great company to work for. I had a great time working there and i gained lots of new experience plus management was so great. They treat all employee with such love and respect and the company cares a lot about their employee.
Pros
You get a reallt good free breakfast every day plus free dinner and drinks every friday evening.
Cons
there are no cons.
Na
Scientific Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2018
Vertex is a good place to work. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and transfer to other departments and they are interested in career development.
Fine, But hard to become full time
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 3, 2018
Typical day of work includes at least one hour long meeting, several hours of lab work, very high pressure environment with no contracts, can technically be fired at anytime. Dedicated group of scientists but very hard to get in without a PHD and several years of post doc. Others are funneled into high turnover positions with no benefits or vacation. Pay is higher than most other places
Great work environment and location.
DIRECTOR, CORPORATE SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 23, 2018
Fast paced and innovative environment supporting mission led organization that exists primarily for the benefit of patient outcomes. Excellent compensation and benefits.
Too fast pace
Administrative Associate III (VP support) (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 2, 2018
No training at all which makes it difficult to adapt to their way of doing things. cut throat department and harsh assessments. if fast pace is not something you can handle then this place is not for you.
Good start to a career
Field Medical Operations Lead/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 19, 2018
Good place to start out your career and build contacts. Workplace culture is fast, but morale has recently been very low. Turn over rate has recently been very high.
Pros
good stock benefits
Cons
no work/life balance, work from home allowed, no collaboration
Contract employee
Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 13, 2018
I was a contract employee so I cannot speak to the benefits and things of that nature. The time that I had there I met a lot of great people, and the work was well compensated for. They would be a great company to work for full-time.
Amazing place to work. Management listens to concerns and addresses situations if they arise
Senior Research Associate lll (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 4, 2018
The culture here is like family. The management team to Human Resources they know what they're doing. Never did I have to scramble with last minute details and rearrange monthly plans. Plans were well thought out. You can learn and grow here.
A typical day at work
Internal Controls (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 23, 2018
A typical day at my co-op position begins at 9AM; however, I usually arrive earlier around 8:45AM to read the news and check my email. By 9 o'clock we have a meeting with the GRC, Governance, Risk, and Compliance team, where we go over the new auditing system that we will be launching in few weeks. After that, I would go back to my office and start on my daily reports and follow ups with the control owners. In addition, I would also help my colleagues and my manager on completing their requests and scheduling future meetings.
The type of decision that I make at my work is basically on the way I present my work, as I am given free range on how I can present my work as long as I can explain what I have done. Moreover, I am able to make decisions based on time and prioritization, as some of my work is time sensitive and need to be completed within a short time frame. However, I tend to finish my work and tasks before the due date anyway. On the other hand, I make more personal decisions outside of work when it comes to my personal and professional development. To illustrate more, I would learn a new finance term everyday to enhance my finance knowledge and broaden my understanding. In addition, I am currently reading books about Internal Audits and GRC to familiarize myself with my role and the field as a whole. Also, I always ask my colleagues if I did not understanding a term or an abbreviation.
As for the motivation part, an internal motivator for me is to always gain new skills and exposures and to tailor and enhance my existing skills. I also want to contribute to the success
  more... of my team. Lastly but not least, a very important external motivator for me is to be recognized as a capable and hard-working first time co-op employee. As I start co-op I hope these motivators will guide me through my learning journey and help me gain the best professional experience.  less
Pros
Very welcoming culture
Great company and People
Senior Business Consultant - InteQ (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2018
A very energetic place to work, with a great culture and in a great location. I can recommend working there for anyone looking for an opportunity in a young and growing company.
Interesting
Technical writer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 30, 2017
I had a temporary position updating documentation, so I didn't knw all of the company. At that time the company had never made any money, so many things were minimal, but I believe everything improved more recently.
Great company culture, no advancement opportunities
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 27, 2017
The people who get promoted are the ones doing the most talking at meetings, not the people who are actually doing the hard work at the bench. Very little opportunities for growth or creativity. Good positive company culture and outlook overall.
Good place to work.
Associate Director -Strategic Sourcing (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 18, 2017
Good benefits and lots of opportunity for growth. Exciting and dynamic atmosphere. Great location on the Boston Seaport. Overall a very positive environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Vertex Pharmaceuticals. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.9Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight