Vetco Clinics Employee Reviews

Used to be great
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIFebruary 10, 2019
Company used to be great. New management put an end to that. More corporate and money orientated now which is not ideal for the customers or employees.
Pros
only weekends
Run While you still can!
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYFebruary 7, 2019
I don't even know where to begin with this place. If you want to be miserable and give up your weekends this is the place for you. Don't ever expect to get back on time because that's definitely not going to happen most of the time. Good luck getting the shifts you want because that's never going to happen. The work we have to do is not worth a measly 12$ an hour and clinic leads barely make any more than that even though there supposed to be managers. The point system for being late is beyond unfair and the managers are cruel when it comes to write ups. The drama here is insane, people are always trash talking each other behind their backs and the problems Just go on and on. I'd could ramble on for paragraphs but I'm just going to say plain and simply you could do much better than this place. It's not really ever worth it for the experience.
Pros
Maybe experience and the occasional puppy
Cons
The management here is awful
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYFebruary 5, 2019
Ok... where to begin... this place is an absolute mess. To start the pay here is awful, everyone is at 12 dollars/hour which here in NY is the minimum wage. As a vet assistant you put your body on the line for 12 dollars... let that sink in. The management is consistently promising raises and they never come. In fact, after the minimum wage was raises some individuals were getting paid up to a dollar less than the amount mandated by law. This place can’t keep employees either people quit after their first day or they quit after they get a new job. The company doesn’t care at all about pets. The management is constantly pushing that a certain sales quota be met and don’t care if that means selling medication and heartworm tests to people without explaining what they are or what they’re for. Just this last summer the parent company Petco forced vet assistants and vets to push the sale of dental treats. Many vets were upset because dental treats do not remove tartar or replace a dental cleaning and serve mainly to line the pockets of the greedy heads of this company. Management is obsessed with writing people up and will write you up for just about anything. They care so little about your safety and would rather you speed to clinics and to work to avoid being late. Avoid this place.
Pros
Discount at petco
A total mess
Vet Clinic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYFebruary 4, 2019
For starters management is all over the place. Have gone thru about 5 of them in the past year. This division is terribly short staffed. When I was a new hire there was at least 3-4 workers per clinic. Now you're lucky if you even have 2. Say goodbye to your weekends. Each weekend shifts starts at 7-8:30 am and can end anywhere between 5-8pm depending on the time you leave your last clinic. Expect to spend long hours driving. Loading and unloading heavy equipment. Never receiving a proper lunch break. Loads of paper. And tons of rude customers. The company certainly does not pay us enough for the work load.
Pros
Pto, Discounts
Cons
poor pay, management
Absolutely terrible.
Veterinary Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYJanuary 22, 2019
This job involves long (10-14 hour days) moving heavy equipment and driving from a main office to far away locations.
The managers are un caring.
We are underpaid. I am currently working at 11.50$ (which is less than minimum wage).
Long hours often spent sitting in traffic.
Broken equipment that we are often told to call tech support to attempt to fix ourselves.
In the winter the parking lot is not shoveled. We must clear paths and clean off work vans ourselves.
Dark parking lot with a lack of lighting late at night.
Managers are always gone at the end of the way when we arrive back to the office. The managers are supposed to make sure all employees arrive home safely but do not.
Managers choose favorites and allow certain employees more benefits than others.
This company should be shut down. Not one of my co workers have anything nice to say about this company.
Pros
20% discount to petco stores.
Cons
Lack of pay, long hours, careless managers, often stuck in traffic for hours.
Good Veterinary Assistant Starting Job
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, MAJanuary 7, 2019
Long Days, but most is travel time. Providing basic needs for healthy pets, like vacinations and flea and heartworm preventative, Introduction To Vet Medincine.
Pros
20% Petco discounts, Paid for riding in a Van.
Cons
Low wage, part time, unbenifited
Every office is different
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 3, 2019
It's long days (8-14hrs) but on Saturdays and Sundays only. Alot of the time is spent traveling to and from clinics. Your co-workers are your extended family. Just keep in mind when reading these reviews that every office is different.
Pros
Get paid for sitting in a car doing nothing, meet amazing people, play with puppies and kittens, learn A LOT, work with vets from all over, vets have been known to hire us technicians if a place opens up at their full service clinic
Cons
New management hasn't gotten the hang of things yet, don't give many raises, can be stressful/chaotic
job sucks
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYOctober 12, 2018
workplace always drama, managers doesn't help or care to listen to problems and always have excuses with making schedules. other employees makes rules and managers don't do a thing about it
Pros
Cons
never home on time, horrible employees and managers
Good stepping stone/ Poor managment
Clinic Lead (Former Employee) –  HoustonOctober 2, 2018
This job is a good stepping stone for anyone considering a career in Veterinary medicine. But I do not recommend more then 6 months here. The management is poor and useless. Promotions and raises are delayed so ultimately you work more for then the starting pay. During the week you will clock in around 5 hours a day but you would only spend 2 of that in an actual clinic environment. The rest is spent dealing with inventory and travel. But there is no guarantee of getting the hours you need or a consistent schedule. If you can get a job elsewhere I would highly recommend it to avoid any draining stress the environment that this job brings. Corporate is absolutely useless with any concerns, and their is no standards when it comes to hiring people.
Pros
Clinic experience
Cons
Poor management
Not for kind hearted people
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 4, 2018
A vet that I worked with was extremely rude and demeaning towards myself and other employees. Also very confrontational. I made management aware. Nothing was done.
Pros
Discount and being able to work with pets
Cons
The cliques
Disappointing experience
Customers advisory (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 15, 2018
Staff was incompetent and unprofessional. Management was biased towards staff. It was more like a highschool clique than anything. Look elsewhere if you want an actual job.
Pros
The animals
Cons
Staff and management
Work load is crazy
Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 14, 2018
The amount of work expected is not realistic. Pay is not even close to being fair. Upper management does not listen to your concerns. The company does not seem to be doing well overall so there is always panic in the air. No ones job is secure.
Cons
work to many hours, pay is not in line with the job.
Good experience/poor management
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chester, VAJuly 7, 2018
This is a good job for gaining experience in the veterinarian field and having extra funds. The only pro was dealing with adorable animals all day. Management was very inexperienced and if you had a problem they will ignore you. Management was located in Maryland,however, I worked in Virginia. Since I was not in Maryland, management didn’t care less about the Virginia employees. I had several issues with my pay check and was just advised to call hr or ignored. Management consistently sent threatening memos about disciplinary action because of other employees actions. Avoid at all costs unless you prefer to beg for your paycheck each pay period.
Pros
Dealing with animals
Vetco clinic employee review
Customer Service Representative/ Vet Tech (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTJune 15, 2018
This job is not what is was presented to us. After week 2 I realized how favoritism played a big role and what you sell is priority to them. High turn around rate with employees and I understand why now. Poor management definitely has a hand in the turn around rate, most of the Dr's that bid to work with the clinic did not care much for the manager.For the amount of money this company offers, it is NOT worth working here the 12 hour Saturday and Sundays.
Pros
The Pets
Cons
Everything else
Fast Paced
Veterinary Technician (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  South River, NJMay 28, 2018
Very friendly work environment! Great weekend job, just long hours. Great opportunity to meet and work with new vets! Very fast paced since they are short clinics.
Dont do it!!!
Customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILMay 4, 2018
I don’t even where to start. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone. Management is extremely terrible. The manager doesn’t respond to any messages or emails. With the job being weekends only the checks are pocket change. You won’t have a life because of the extremely long hours. You are trained to sell, sell, sell with no regard for the customer (in which can kind of come off as pushy). The company doesn’t care about the customers or workers only the money. You will be disciplined if average isn’t met. Don’t expect a day off either. No matter how far in advance notice is given your request will be denied. So pretty much if you appreciate your sanity and life on the weekends don’t do it.
Pros
Good stepping stone for a full service, puppies
Long days, but good pay
Clinic Lead/Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northglenn, COMarch 1, 2018
Working for vetco was a fun fasted paced environment, your day starts off as going to the main office and loading up all the equipment in the vans and driving too 3 different locations.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Clinic lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 27, 2018
If you like working with animals but you don't have the experience or education for a career in animal care , this is a great place to get your foot in the door.
It is long hours up to 12-14 hour shifts.
You travel a lot for long periods of time all over Oklahoma which can be exhausting.
It is rewarding to work with licensed veterinarians and such a large variety of Canines and Felines.
Pros
cuddles from puppies and kittens
Cons
you only work weekends
Fellow staff become family memebers. We all care and suport one another.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 26, 2018
The job a Vetco is very different. You work many hours in just 2 days: Saturday and Sunday. The day could be 9 hours or could be 14 hours, depending on where you are going that morning.

There is an employee only group on facebook, where we can let off steam about how our days are going. We share photos of cute pets, as well as customer comments on what happened that day at the Petco.

Hardest part was: you have to meet in Marlborough MA every time, even if your location is near your house.

Best part was our team, fellow staff and getting to work with a great doctor for the day.
Pros
Work with different Vets every weekend and a different team, Some of the kindest Vets I have ever met, They actually want to mentor you
Cons
Sometimes get stuck working with the WORST vets in the world. Some of the Vets at Vetco are so bad, I would commit suicide before I presented my pet to them.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 23, 2018
Vetco offers great experience with working with dogs and cats, I learned about the various vaccines and what they do and why dogs and cats should be properly vaccinated.