Vetco Clinics Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Disappointing experience
Customers advisory (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 15, 2018
Staff was incompetent and unprofessional. Management was biased towards staff. It was more like a highschool clique than anything. Look elsewhere if you want an actual job.
Pros
The animals
Cons
Staff and management
Work load is crazy
Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJuly 14, 2018
The amount of work expected is not realistic. Pay is not even close to being fair. Upper management does not listen to your concerns. The company does not seem to be doing well overall so there is always panic in the air. No ones job is secure.
Cons
work to many hours, pay is not in line with the job.
Good experience/poor management
Veterinary Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chester, VAJuly 7, 2018
This is a good job for gaining experience in the veterinarian field and having extra funds. The only pro was dealing with adorable animals all day. Management was very inexperienced and if you had a problem they will ignore you. Management was located in Maryland,however, I worked in Virginia. Since I was not in Maryland, management didn’t care less about the Virginia employees. I had several issues with my pay check and was just advised to call hr or ignored. Management consistently sent threatening memos about disciplinary action because of other employees actions. Avoid at all costs unless you prefer to beg for your paycheck each pay period.
Pros
Dealing with animals
Vetco clinic employee review
Customer Service Representative/ Vet Tech (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTJune 15, 2018
This job is not what is was presented to us. After week 2 I realized how favoritism played a big role and what you sell is priority to them. High turn around rate with employees and I understand why now. Poor management definitely has a hand in the turn around rate, most of the Dr's that bid to work with the clinic did not care much for the manager.For the amount of money this company offers, it is NOT worth working here the 12 hour Saturday and Sundays.
Pros
The Pets
Cons
Everything else
Fast Paced
Veterinary Technician (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  South River, NJMay 28, 2018
Very friendly work environment! Great weekend job, just long hours. Great opportunity to meet and work with new vets! Very fast paced since they are short clinics.
Dont do it!!!
Customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILMay 4, 2018
I don’t even where to start. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone. Management is extremely terrible. The manager doesn’t respond to any messages or emails. With the job being weekends only the checks are pocket change. You won’t have a life because of the extremely long hours. You are trained to sell, sell, sell with no regard for the customer (in which can kind of come off as pushy). The company doesn’t care about the customers or workers only the money. You will be disciplined if average isn’t met. Don’t expect a day off either. No matter how far in advance notice is given your request will be denied. So pretty much if you appreciate your sanity and life on the weekends don’t do it.
Pros
Good stepping stone for a full service, puppies
Long days, but good pay
Clinic Lead/Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northglenn, COMarch 1, 2018
Working for vetco was a fun fasted paced environment, your day starts off as going to the main office and loading up all the equipment in the vans and driving too 3 different locations.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Clinic lead/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 27, 2018
If you like working with animals but you don't have the experience or education for a career in animal care , this is a great place to get your foot in the door.
It is long hours up to 12-14 hour shifts.
You travel a lot for long periods of time all over Oklahoma which can be exhausting.
It is rewarding to work with licensed veterinarians and such a large variety of Canines and Felines.
Pros
cuddles from puppies and kittens
Cons
you only work weekends
Fellow staff become family memebers. We all care and suport one another.
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 26, 2018
The job a Vetco is very different. You work many hours in just 2 days: Saturday and Sunday. The day could be 9 hours or could be 14 hours, depending on where you are going that morning.

There is an employee only group on facebook, where we can let off steam about how our days are going. We share photos of cute pets, as well as customer comments on what happened that day at the Petco.

Hardest part was: you have to meet in Marlborough MA every time, even if your location is near your house.

Best part was our team, fellow staff and getting to work with a great doctor for the day.
Pros
Work with different Vets every weekend and a different team, Some of the kindest Vets I have ever met, They actually want to mentor you
Cons
Sometimes get stuck working with the WORST vets in the world. Some of the Vets at Vetco are so bad, I would commit suicide before I presented my pet to them.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 23, 2018
Vetco offers great experience with working with dogs and cats, I learned about the various vaccines and what they do and why dogs and cats should be properly vaccinated.
Extremely fun if you love working with animals.
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILFebruary 8, 2018
A lot of the job was driving to the clinics themselves, but you get paid for all those hours and you drive together as a team and it is their vehicles and gas is pay for by them which is great. Learn alot from all the leads and the location manager (not sure what her title is), she's great so much to learn from her. Everyone is great, even the doctors.
Pros
Environment, pay, people, working with animals, learn alot
Cons
Hours, 12 hours a day for only 2 days a week (say/sun)
South LA Vetco Cllinics
Veterinary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJanuary 23, 2018
Awesome group of coworkers who really care about the well being of all pets & understand the true meaning of teamwork! I love being around cats and dogs.
Educational
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 9, 2018
It was a good job because it helped me work with animals like I have always wanted. The only thing is that the manager let me go under saying I was talking about personal life at work which was not true. It seemed like she didn't want me to profess in my job duties and used that as an excuse.
Pros
Worked with animals and extra hours
Cons
Cut throat manager
Worked from home
DATA INTEGRITY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 3, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company as I was able to work from home. I would love to stay with this company, sadly I am unable to due the department being closed. I have learned so much that I hope to use it in my future career opportunities.
Pros
Meetings with food catered
Cons
No interaction with office (work from home)
Good for people wanting to start off in the animal field
Guest Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILOctober 17, 2017
We had a lot of on the job training which was nice for someone wanting to learn and train through working. Very fast paced and a lot of traveling to two or three different Petco locations a day. Weekend work only so Saturday and Sunday hours. Hours may very going anywhere from starting at 6:30 to 8:00 AM and ending anywhere from 5:00 to 8:00 PM depending on which location you have traveled to that day. Transportation vans are provided for travel and will be riding with two or three co workers but will need to drive yourself to main office. Its a very fun job and you get to work with a lot of puppies and kittens.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
weekend hours only, physically demanding
Vetco is a excellent
Veterinary Assistant/ Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 3, 2017
Vetco is an excellent place to work at, especially if you're trying to gain experience and enjoy working with animals it is all around an exellent place to work at
Pros
Long breaks, enough hours
Clicky
Vet Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  VASeptember 20, 2017
Slow pace, a lot of time wasted on the road, with weekend....Seeing the animals is the best part of the job at each location, no matter what they were.
Cons
Its who you know
Work alongside DVM to take care of our clients
Veterinary Technician/ Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thornton, COSeptember 14, 2017
My 1st Vet clinic environment. This has been one of the most influential experiences. Great management and coworkers. Learn a lot of hands on being that I'm still in school.
High pace work with a high turn over rate
VA (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 30, 2017
The job itself is great if you are a student and need some experience with customer service and animals. But you have to accept that there's no room for growth in the company. You can work your butt off, go above and beyond to try to get a promotion and it won't happen.
Pros
get to travel the state and work with animals all day
Cons
the stores are very hot (no ac), no room for advancement
Would be great if it was fair....
Clinic Lead (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 20, 2017
Typical day: check in at scheduled time... travel with team to different clinics.

What I learned: A lot on animal medicine.

Management: The amount of favoritism is beyond anything I've ever seen at a company. If you're not on the manager's "Like List" watch yourself because you wont have a job for long. Managers favorites gets the most hours.

They don't work with you and you're schedule and will not accommodate.

Poor communication... Managers will tell different things to different employees. Managers tell their none favorite incorrect information so they can either reprimand or terminate them.

You're not fully trained before they expect you to work independently with 100% accuracy. you're also expected to do the job of three people at times.

If not on the favorite list don't expect a promotion or a raise, unless raise is mandatory by law

The Hardest Part: Not getting fired

Enjoyable Part: Seeing different places, and working with the pets
Pros
Working with the animals, the hours and travelling
Cons
Extreme amounts of favoritism and unfairness. Unsafe and Poorly Maintained Vans, and Equipment.