VetCor Employee Reviews

Very Poor Management
Assistant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 11, 2019
Vetcor is owned by an investment company, Cressey and Co. and is not at all client focused and not interested in listening to their employees. Upon purchasing a practice they send in their own manager who knows nothing about the day-to-day operations, replacing current, knowledgeable mangers, and focus entirely on managing via multiple checklists and intimidation. They limit hours but find money to redecorate. The practice culture is one of fear and stress. Staff meetings are held to discuss what people are doing wrong and never for encouragement or team building and can take place instead of allowing for a lunch break for the staff. Lunch is not provided for the meeting, it just does not happen. The DVMs make a lot of mistakes and expect us to cover it up. Certain employees are blamed for all the mistakes and others get their mistakes covered up. They make promises but never come through. If you complain to management or HR they ignore you. Patient welfare is not important to VetCor.
Pros
Cons
You are a cog in a machine
They talk a good game
Employee (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 23, 2019
VetCor talks a good game. When it comes down to it, it's a business, run by a sleazy corporate non-veterinarian. He employs veterinarians for the corporate portion that have ZERO management skills. Just because you have managed a practice does not mean that 1. You do it well, 2. Have any idea what management actually means
VetCor doesn't care if things are done well, only if they are profitable, like most businesses.
Unfortunately, VetCor is a behemoth now, with no sign of slowing down.
Pros
It's employment
Cons
Upper Management and corporate are horrible
Would not recommend
CVT (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 2, 2019
The management both within hospitals and with corporate is poor. They do not seem to truly care about their employees and are not helpful when it comes to resolving problems.
Pros
Scrub allowance and CE
Cons
Overworked, underpaid
Money for them, none for you.
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  MarylandMarch 2, 2019
After many years with vetcor, I've seen employees treated like replaceable trash. Employees that dedicated many years to the practice, we're given the silent treatment because they were leaving. Everyone talks bad about everyone behind their back. High turnover. Low pay. If you start in a lower position and work your way up, they will not compensate you accordingly. People that come in new with a lower status than you, will actually be making more than you. They use bullying tactics to push someone out if they want you out. There is no job security even if you've been with the practice for a long time. Doctors are very negative and complain constantly about clients and patient cases.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Low pay, negative atmosphere, and stressful
Do not reccomend
Kennel Manager (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIMarch 1, 2019
Overall it comes down to poor management. They talk behind your back a lot. I witnessed the vets screaming at staff many times. They ignore a lot of important things. They blame everyone else for mistakes that they themselves make. They are not understanding or forgiving at all. They would gain up on employees hoping they would quit. I loved my job, but hated the bullying and bad attitudes.
Pros
Free lunch, discounted services
Cons
Poor management, bad training
Hard to work for
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJFebruary 25, 2019
Not an easy place to work for. There was always changes in how to do things. They didn't make me feel like a team member. I really liked it there. But felt like an outsider. Needed more training and patience.
Pros
Free lunches, pet discounts.
Cons
No good training.
Great place to work, lots of room for growth. Great support and education options
Hospital Manager (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 11, 2019
I have been with Vetcor since 2014. I have seen a number people advance within this company, just in this short time. There are a number of resources outside our hospital walls, which are there to enhance our work life balance. Our hospital is a great place to work and made even better with our benefits package, health insurance, dental, vision, paid time off, Holidays, 401k, scrubs allowance and continuing education. Overall, after being in the Veterinary field for a number of years, I am glad that my hospital is part of the Vetcor Family.
Pros
Support, Benefits, CE allowance
Awful workplace
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NJJanuary 20, 2019
There are many issues with this hospital so it's hard to choose a place to start if I'm being honest. At first it seems like it could be a good place to work and learn. If you happen to learn extremely fast under intense pressure then you'll do fine (let's be honest most people do not). Their training is an absolute joke. If you don't learn quickly enough people will quickly dismiss you and you're already on the outside looking in. The gossip is UNREAL at this place. Almost every single employee seems to thrive off of it and they don't even try to hide it. It truly brings moral down quickly. If you constantly hear people saying awful things about one another you're going to wonder if they do the same thing behind your back (they do). You become worried which certainly effects your work and you constantly feel like you're walking on egg shells. An emergency hospital is already stressful, you don't need negative co-workers to add to it. If management actually got rid of or reprimanded the problem employees this could be a great place to work. They also need to give everyone SET hours! It's hard enough having to stay over your shift often because of the type of work you do. On top of that you work random shifts and days frequently and burn out FAST. Get people who want to work days and then other people who want to work nights. And for the love of God give people set shifts. The only set shifts I ever saw were for employees who had been there for years. This obviously makes other employees envious and frustrated because they would like a good work life balance as well. If they  more... managed to change these issues I'd bet my life this would be a completely different, and dare I say it, happy place to work.  less
Very Poor Management
Assistant (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsNovember 23, 2018
Pros
Cons
You are a cog in a machine
Small Town Clinic Feel, Corporate Standards
Externship (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 13, 2018
I was very impressed when I worked at VetCor this summer. I am a Veterinary Student and only worked for a month, but had a blast. It's quick-paced, but the clinic I was with knew what they were doing. They also made an effort to be give us a good work-life balance, which is something I truly appreciate.
Corporate without the corporate!
Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 5, 2018
VetCor has been nothing short of fantastic. There is a negative stigma in the veterinary community about being affiliated with a corporate entity and I can say, from my experience, VetCor eliminates that stigma. They care about us as individuals and care about the individual clinics keeping their identity and their legacy. The support is top notch and the office staff is absolutely the best!
Pros
Excellent networking, collaboration, and advancement potential.
Cons
Occasionally slow in the decision making process.
Toxic employees, terrible management.
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  North East, PAOctober 4, 2018
Obviously vary per Hospital but I worked with bitter, spiteful, back stabbing technicians. Manager played favorites and was spineless. However, I worked with 2 amazing doctors. I had a pretty flexible schedule but that was mostly due to the manager not know how to say no. I was a tech for 5 years and got a $1 raise by the skin of my teeth even though I had taken on numerous other duties that should have been being done by the lead tech & manager. This hospital allowed the lead tech to continue working even though she had been caught stealing controlled drugs.
Pros
Discounts, Great doctors
Cons
Long hours, low pay, terrible management, toxic employees
No experience management
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 3, 2018
Loved working with cats. Hated working with the new, inexperienced management and higher ups who blow smoke up your...Client care no longer important.
It all depends on the specific hospital you work for
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  NCSeptember 27, 2018
The hospital I was at was usually a great place to work. VetCor seems to let the individual hospitals run themselves fairly independently.
That said, besides being able to provide benefits, they are not very employee-friendly. When issues arise in the workplace they are so hands-off that there is no true HR department to go to.
Pros
Benefits, working environment
Cons
Lack of responsibility on the part of the corporation
Terrible upper management. High school mentality!
Client Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RISeptember 13, 2018
Vetcor is a joke! You are underpaid and overworked! Corporate doesnt care if fellow employees harass each other, bully each other, sexually harass you....its about making money. When I worked there, under qualified just out of school veterinarian's were misdiagnosing animals, trying to make money with unnecessary surgeries which in some cases led to animals dying. This hospital has kept about 70% of the clique that worked there before Vetcor purchased it. They run around as puppets for Vetcor, but talk about how terrible it is to work for them to new employees, it's like scare tactics, so you will want to leave, it's there way for job security. If you tell management about a problem, they give you lip service and do nothing but tell the person who you had a problem with what you said. It's like high school. You have to work the job of three people because they cant keep a full staff, due to turn around. They hire and fire managers for no reason, they make up reasons. Your job is safe if you've been at this hospital 10+years. The hospital is filthy and the kennel is like a prison for dogs, they are not allowed to go out in the large enclosed area and run around, they spend 90% of their time boarding here just sitting/sleeping on a cold concrete floor, with feces or urine on the floor, while people just walk by it. I wouldn't keep my pet there and we could let our pets stay for free, no thanks!!! In the 17 years I've been in this field, this particular hospital and Vetcor has made me hate something I once loved to do. No workplace is perfect, but this gossip/ drama filled overworked/unappreciative  more... employer is the worst. Keep your sanity and look elsewhere. I left because this place was a real joke.  less
Cons
Unappreciated, overworked, and horrible management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2018
Do not work for vetcor unless you would like to be underpaid and unappreciated. The management was horrible at my clinic. My supervisor had me doing their job plus my own duties. I was severely underpaid. The hours were ridiculous. Patient care is not their priority. They focus on reviews on google, yelp, and Facebook. Also, the company talks more about money than any other company I’ve ever worked for. Beware, they may make their company sound golden, but not all that shines is glitter.
Pros
Lunch and learns, and clients
Cons
Short breaks, pay, and management
Great place to work.
Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Portage, WIMarch 11, 2018
Very good culture at work. Fast paced, but that is the nature of the veterinary profession. Given the tools we need to do a good job. Given staff needed to do a good job. Senior management is very concerned about our ability to have a balance between job, health, and family. Typical day is veterinary medicine and surgery. The most enjoyable part of the day is working with good people toward a common goal, the health of our patients.
Pros
Great benefits, great pople, adequate time off.
Cons
Fast paced environment, sometimes hectic.
Great Company to work For!
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gray, MEFebruary 6, 2018
I have worked at this company for a little over a year as a Client Care Specialist. I had previously worked at a small, veterinary office before I moved and started here. I was nervous starting here, because I had never worked at a vet office that was owned by a corporation. I was, however, very pleasantly surprised. I don't feel restricted or micromanaged by any corporate policies. I've found that my work/life balance is more in line and the co-chiefs of staff and office manager really listen to what input we have and do their best to address and execute any ideas for improvement the staff has.
Pros
See review
Cons
No complaints at this time.
VetCor Review
Hospital Manager (Current Employee) –  Gray, MEJanuary 30, 2018
VetCor is a great company to work for. They have a lot of benefits, which they just started offering Disability and Life Insurance. The Region Manager is the best, and very helpful to me. I also like that even though we are a corporate clinic, VetCor does not micro-manage it's clinics!
Pros
Great Region Manager and great staff at the corporate level.
Cons
None at this time!
Absolutely Terrible.
Pet Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYJanuary 11, 2018
Management is a complete joke. It's hospital vs kennel and hospital always wins so don't even bother. Kennel position is based on false promises of the ability to advance to hospital which is how they bait you to take the job but won't actually move you since kennel has such high turnover. Everyone is a gossip as well as management.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at VetCor. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight